• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

I've gotten bunch of games from you guys, even had the luck of winning two today! So here is something back to you. (incase someone didn't have Skyrim)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Skyrim -- MB-EDBE2DAC16484534 - Taken by dimmer. 5 entrants total.

t1476109127z1.png

Mr. Doop

So strange.. I'm Level 16 and I've been on Steam for 11 years and never had a booster pack drop. Is that normal? :/

It's not really that strange. I'm only a few levels higher than you and I've only gotten 2 or 3 packs, and they've all been worthless packs for crappy games.

Anteater

finished moredoor, it's alright, I enjoyed the nemesis system although it gets old after a bit, I think the structure of the game is weird, it's like the main missions are a separate thing that you just do and most of the missions aren't that interesting (follow this dude and perform a task for him), and they have trouble designing them to be interesting after spending most of their development time on the nemesis system

Deques

Quick question about idlemaster.
Can I only run it when I'm not playing a game?

Are you go try the card glitch? My theory is that you can run it and get card drops while playing games. I haven't tested that yet.

You can still run it while playing games to get the initial 2 hours

Deques

How are you supposed to get cards from a f2p game? I assume idlemaster doesn't work with them?

This one in particular: http://store.steampowered.com/app/485650/

I'm trying to get some of that trump cards money.

Free-to-Play games operate differently. You instead earn card drops by spending money, either from that game's in-game shop or by buying the game's DLC in the Steam Store. The current rate of all Free-to-Play games is approximately $9 US per card drop, but it is believed that Valve can adjust the rate on a per-game basis (though no games currently appear to be using any other rate).
Source: http://steamtradingcards.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Free_to_Play_Games

It's not listed in there, do you have to play it first?

Accoun

Replaying Dawn Of War, possibly my favorite RTS ever. For some reason I thought that the GOTY edition on Steam includes the Winter Assault expansion (I actually haven't played that one), but sadly it does not. Might as well play the campaign again.

Also, I saw on PCGW that they give free Steam keys for owners of boxed Dark Crusade expansion. Sent them an e-mail, I hope they still do it after two years.

JustLynx

Replaying Dawn Of War, possibly my favorite RTS ever. For some reason I thought that the GOTY edition on Steam includes the Winter Assault expansion (I actually haven't played that one), but sadly it does not. Might as well play the campaign again.

Also, I saw on PCGW that they give free Steam keys for owners of boxed Dark Crusade expansion. Sent them an e-mail, I hope they still do it after two years.

you can play winter assault by going into the install folder, it's there

Deques

Thanks all for the fast replies.

Doesn't look like it's worth crafting the boosters (1200 gems ugh).

It might be worth it. A sack of gem costs €0.92 each. One booster pack gives three cards. Trump card is word €1, lowest valued card is €0.54. Getting three of the lowest value will give you €0.5 before Steam tax. There are two cards that are worth ~€1 so it's kinda high chance to get high profit
Do this for a month you have earned quite a lot of steam money

edit: crap, forgot that each booster pack is worth 1200 gems >.<. My calculation fails, but not that much

It might be worth it. A sack of gem costs &#8364;0.92 each. One booster pack gives three cards. Trump card is word &#8364;1, lowest valued card is &#8364;0.54. Getting three of the lowest value will give you &#8364;0.5 before Steam tax.
Do this for a month you have earned quite a lot of steam money

I see the lowest card at (buy) 0.21&#8364;- (sell) 0.30&#8364; (crooked hillary, who else). You get three of these and you are losing money. But I'll probably gamble a few gems away anyway.

(edit) And i got a foil (not the trump one, saddly). That's how it's done folks.

Deques

I see the lowest card at (buy) 0.21€- (sell) 0.30€ (crooked hillary, who else). You get three of these and you are losing money. But I'll probably gamble a few gems away anyway.

(edit) And i got a foil (not the trump one, saddly). That's how it's done folks.

That's right, the buy price is much lower than the sell price, forgot about that

Accoun

you can play winter assault by going into the install folder, it's there

But they still offer it separately? I think it's not a real GOTY edition (like DOW Gold was in retail after WA came out) and Steam Discussions seem to confirm that.

[EDIT]
WA has been separated from the GOTY edition sometimes during THQ Humble Bundle, just before they went bankrupt. It is now separated library entry, as well as a purchase.
Well, this sucks...

JustLynx

But they still offer it separately? I think it's not a real GOTY edition (like DOW Gold was in retail after WA came out) and Steam Discussions seem to confirm that.

[EDIT]

Well, this sucks...

yeah, it's a separate appid
but you can still play it like I said, and it doesn't have any achievements so...

neoemonk

I tried to run RetroArch through the Steam Link over the weekend. The menus worked but I got no video from the game. It was disappointing but oh well. I was never able to get GTA V working on the Steam Link either.

I wish steam had a toggle that only showed games you already own and you could basically "shop" through your collection. Atmospheric FPS with exploration and survival elements? STALKER->PLAY
That's actually a great idea. I find myself often looking at my library in the client and clicking through the storepage to see more about the game. Then go back to Library and repeat. The idea you propose would be a lot more intuitive.

Ludens

Banned
For those interested MGSV DE will be a separate app, considering Konami reported you can transfer saves in the new version. The fact there's no news about an upgrade option probably means there won't be such an option at all, so people on PC who wants pre-order dlcs will need to buy the new version (while on console you can simply buy the DLCs).

Well, thanks Konami, you deserve a new Jimquisition I think. Is this the first time pre-order DLCs are available on all plaftorms except one (PC) and to get them you need to re-buy the game?

For those interested MGSV DE will be a separate app, considering Konami reported you can transfer saves in the new version. The fact there's no news about an upgrade option probably means there won't be such an option at all, so people on PC who wants pre-order dlcs will need to buy the new version (while on console you can simply buy the DLCs).

Well, thanks Konami, you deserve a new Jimquisition I think. Is this the first time pre-order DLCs are available on all plaftorms except one (PC) and to get them you need to re-buy the game?
An upgrade option to get all DLC for cheaper would be good. Not holding my breath though.

MUnited83

For you.

Doesn't really seem to be a separate app at all. Maybe on consoles, but so far on PC seems the exact same apps they are now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious if ModBot (or the one who used ModBot to close the thread) knows about the nature of the 'social experiment' that Jim Sterling was going after :v

Modbot uses deep learning algorhitms and is directly wired to the brains of the entire moderation team and as such is the closest thing we get to an omniscient creature.

Phawx

Hey SteamFriends!

How was everyone's weekend?

Hopefully my GPDWin should ship this week, which is essentially a SteamBoy. I'm hoping that a portable Steam machine will allow me to play during my long commute.

We shall see.

Orgen

I'm on episode 4 of The Walking Dead Season 2 and I'm thinking... can one of my decision at least alter some parts of the game? For example, I've been asked what I should do after reunite with everyone and I have 3 options:

- Check Sarah
- Go with Rebecca
- Follow Jane

My question is: If I select "Follow Jane", will I play a different section instead of choosing any of the other 2 options? Or it doesn't matter whatever I choose? (I think it's going to be the latter but I want to be sure in case I need to replay the section or hit YouTube to see what I missed).

By the way, this Season 2 feels more like a movie and less like a game... I'm hoping other Telltale games don't suffer from this :|

Hektor

Shit my pc doesn't work anymore.

It made a weird scratch sound when i started it, comming from the top somewhere (where hard drive, Mainboard and case coolers are), but it didn't actually started. So I tried it again and I suddenly had an outage in the house.

Now it doesn't get any power at all anymore.
Would you think it's the PSU or the Mainboard that's busted? Cos the weird scratch sound I've heard would tip me to the latter.

It made a weird scratch sound when i started it, comming from the top somewhere (where hard drive, Mainboard and case coolers are), but it didn't actually started. So I tried it again and I suddenly had an outage in the house.

Would you think it's the PSU or the Mainboard that's busted? Cos the weird scratch sound I've heard would tip me to the latter.

Man, I hope it's reparable. I had my motherboard die on me a few months ago.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh shit, Ive both a MOBO and a GPU that is eligible I think. Will I receive 2 codes?

The promotion is for people who'll buy eligible products, not those who already own them, though the retailer/s you purchased from may sympathise if the transaction were recent (as in a week or two at most).

Doesn't sound good. Wish you the best.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Almost any developer who doesn't have cloud saves is literally just being lazy. I hate the term, "Lazy Devs", it's usually a lazy argument that is just uninformed and trying to insult the people behind it by taking a jab at them, but in this case I just mean it's super easy to put in your games on Steam. As long as a game engine makes a file/files for saving (which is almost every engine, and certainly every popular engine), cloud saving is as easy to do as telling Steam to store these identified files on their cloud service. It is super easy to set-up in half an hours time and there's no reason most games shouldn't have it.

Ganado

Almost any developer who doesn't have cloud saves is literally just being lazy. I hate the term, "Lazy Devs", it's usually a lazy argument that is just uninformed and trying to insult the people behind it by taking a jab at them, but in this case I just mean it's super easy to put in your games on Steam. As long as a game engine makes a file/files for saving (which is almost every engine, and certainly every popular engine), cloud saving is as easy to do as telling Steam to store these identified files on their cloud service. It is super easy to set-up in half an hours time and there's no reason most games shouldn't have it.
It works with register keys too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom