• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
May i recommend
The ys series

I've come close to buying one of those games during Steam sales, but the gameplay just looked... weird.

I found that turning the difficulty up helped as you had to be very cognizant of your surroundings, use all of your abilities, and be perfect with dodging.

Yeah right off the bat I chose the "Blood and Broken Bones" (Hard) difficulty, which I never do with new RPGs. But coming fresh off Dark Souls 3, my first experience with the Souls series, I'm feeling bold.

neoemonk

I've come close to buying one of those games during Steam sales, but the gameplay just looked... weird.

I wish there was someone around this forum that could perhaps relay the glory of the Y's games to you...but alas, I don't think such a person exists.

Plesiades

League of Legends is back on Steam.

header.jpg

I have very same concerns and I hope it works properly in SP, I don't really like Co-Op play, since I enjoy gaming at my own pace.
Game isn't actually fully procedural generated, just some parts randomized.

Still preordered because I had cards and since refunds are a thing now.

I enjoy some co-op games (god knows I play way too much L4D2) but I would have preferred a more focused single player experience. I'm also not a fan of random levels/loot either.

Still I think I'll risk it and probably buy it anyway while I can take advantage of the discounted price.

Ascheroth

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JAAAAAAAAAAAAA
JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MY PC WORKS AGAIN! IT WAS THE PSU

I FEEL LIKEA GOD

JAAAAAAAAA

Glad to hear you got it worked out!
REALLY hope World of Final Fantasy comes to PC.
Looks amazing
I think it's a very safe bet, just a matter of when (which hopefully isn't too long after the console release).
Hopefully we'll have an announcement soon and hopefully it'll be good. I don't want another Sonic game.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mr. Doop

I wouldn't really call the Ys games weird, they're pretty straight forward fast paced action RPGs. Definitely check one of them out when they're on sale.

Corpekata

Banned
If he thought they looked weird he probably looked at Ys 1 and 2 because some people like to suggest playing in release order despite that Oath is the pinnacle of the series and far more appealing to newcomers.

Ascheroth

If he thought they looked weird he probably looked at Ys 1 and 2 because some people like to suggest playing in release order despite that Oath is the pinnacle of the series and far more appealing to newcomers.

Ys 1 and 2 aren't bad, I liked them a lot, but it's probably a far better idea to start with Oath or Origin and go back to 1 and 2 after one's already hooked on the series. I know Origin was my first one.

Endruen

Ys 1 and 2 aren't bad, I liked them a lot, but it's probably a far better idea to start with Oath or Origin and go back to 1 and 2 after one's already hooked on the series. I know Origin was my first one.

Yeah, actually Ys 2 is one of my favourites. I started with Origin too and I was hooked right in.

neoemonk

I got Y's 1 and 2 on Virtual Console and tried to jump right into 2 since I had already completed 1 but on the TG-16 version you have to finish the 1st one before it will let you play the second one.

Argh, Thumper is apparently unlocking today, but I think it got surprise pushed up, so iam8bit hasn't mailed out any codes for losers like me who ordered the "vinyl soundtrack" edition through them.

Mr. Doop

Yeah, that's true, 1 and 2 are quite a bit more obtuse than the rest of them. I started with Origins and absolutely loved it, you don't really need to play them in release order.

Ascheroth

Talking about Ys, are there any news about Xanadu Next? Latest I've heard was that it got pushed back due to technical difficulties (obviously, because summer's over already), but it's worked on daily as their current main PC project.

Just finished a play-through of Deadly Tower of Monsters. Now there's a movie game worth playing if you've ever enjoyed an old sci-fi B-movie; from bad acting and cheaply made props, to bad puppets, and mics that accidentally enter the shot. And it is very realistic, as evidenced by ..

And lots of call-backs to old movies.

Patrick is the real hero, though.

Unrelated but after 7 months I finally finished Trails of Cold Steel.
Now my full attention will go into finishing the steam games I'm currently playing, Doom and Shadowrun Dragonfall.
Finishing such a mamoth game kinda brings a sense of relief, it just requires so much of your time. Was worth it though.
But yeah, huge rpgs are really incompatible with my life right now but it's my favorite genre so what can I do?

Some longer impressions on Thoth if anyone was interested
Your typical dual stick shooter is all about chaos. Victory comes from overwhelming non-stop firepower and evading waves and hordes like a madman. Erase your enemies from the screen as fast and fiercely as possible. From Geometry Wars and Assault Android Cactus to Binding of Isaac, relentless offense is the best defense. Not firing only gives your enemies time to surround and corner.

Thoth is nothing like that. Sure, you have an effective means of attack - a dual-stream of bullets - and can weave and dodge with ease, and there are fierce enemies that crowd the screen, but relentless firepower will only hasten your destruction.

Much like Carlsen's previous effort 140, Thoth is an exercise in minimalism. It's dual stick shooter distilled, from your single attack to the stark aesthetic and single-screen rectangular arenas. Your vessel is a mere circle, your enemies an array of other shapes. There are no upgrades or power-ups or loadouts or other complexities of the sort.

FepAWYe.jpg
KUlzxwZ.jpg

From this foundation, instead Thoth laser-focuses on the gameplay and exploring its mechanics. It's a game without a tutorial, where you learn through play rather than text. Your movement and shooting are the tools that teach you how enemies behave, and thus every new enemy and mechanic evokes a moment of tension, another unknown variable to master and overcome.

But once you do understand the varied actions of your geometric foes, you realize that Thoth is not exactly a shooter. It's a puzzler, and shooting and movement are how you solve these spatial conundrums. When to shoot, where you shoot from, which enemy you shoot at, in what order, all must be considered. Your circular ships moves faster when not firing, and each enemy requires sustained fire to drain them from existence, so positioning and timing are perhaps the most important aspects to assess while playing Thoth.

Positioning becomes more more critical when you realize that the arena itself is linked with the enemies you face. From changing the available space to swapping the barriers that divide the stage, killing an enemy can hinder rather than help if done at the wrong time and place. Mindlessly firing without considering your location will more than likely see your ship trapped and cornered. Across the game's 64 levels, you're constantly introduced to twists and elements, forcing you to adapt regularly and wringing surprising variety from a seemingly simple format.

MSximW5.gif
kHPM6Tg.gif

Although...it may be a misnomer to say you kill enemies in this game. Enough bullets, and your colorful foes become structures of negative space, empty portholes into endless abyss beyond the arena, that pursue you even more aggressively. It's yet another puzzle piece to consider while dodging and weaving. Thoth's otherworldly droning soundtrack complements the imagery of that cold void wonderfully,

Much like the abyss hidden behind its minimal aesthetic, Thoth's distilled approach to the dual-stick genre hides a unique action puzzler behind the veneer of hectic shooter.

OK, now for reals I am done with Spelunky. Just did a solo CoOp run and it was painful to adjust. Your partner dying when off-screen messed me up so many darn times. Once even in 4-4 at Olmec, after bringing him all the way there!!
RswpDfE.png

Either way, I just successfully finished a run and got my badge. Shame Forzenlunky did not work for online Netplay :(

Oh well, not like I am much in the mood now anyway. Too many hours logged in in the very recent time got me slightly fed up. Still love the game but it needs a pause, maybe next year again. After all, last year upon defeating Olmec I said to myself "that's all I'll do in Spelunky" and exactly 12 months later I beat Yama, so who knows, maybe come Autumn 2017 I'll do a Low Scorer run
lol I won't

I never cared for Steam Achievements and still don't care for almost every game but Spelunky's challenges aligned just well with the ones in my head, so I did almost all of them.

It also quickly climbed its way up my most-played games alongside.

Sakura Space is suddenly released.

Mass Effect suddenly has competition.

Dead Rising gets another patch today.

- Background music during helicopter cutscene loops correctly. (no gap between repeats)

- Fixed reversed zoom in/out controls during map screen mode. Previously, pressing the analog stick 'UP' zoomed out and pulling back on the stick zoomed in. Mouse scroll direction has also been adjusted accordingly.

- Improved DirectInput game pad detection.

- Mall music now loops in sequence and without repeating the same track.

- Reduced VRAM usage (currently 1,300MB ~ 1,800MB) that may have contributed to performance degradation for certain video cards with small VRAM.

Wonderful support by wbacon and crew.

neoemonk

I just got RetroArch to work over the Steam Link.

I was trying to launch a game from the menu but that didn't work, but I set up a shortcut using the command line options to launch a game and was able to launch that successfully.

Huzzah!

Can someone help me with GeDoSaTo? It used to work well with guilty gear xrd, but after I've updated it it doesn't work anymore. When I start the game I get an error about d3dcompiler_47.dll not found, then the game starts but doesn't downsample.
If I put the dll in the game folder the error goes away but the game doesn't start

Ascheroth

We doing top 5 played? I'm in.

Actual number 1 is probably Dark Souls though, which is sitting at 6th with 75 steamhours. I bought it retail and sunk many hours into it on GFWL before I realized I could just activate it on Steam with the retail-key, lol.

Nabs

I just got RetroArch to work over the Steam Link.

I was trying to launch a game from the menu but that didn't work, but I set up a shortcut using the command line options to launch a game and was able to launch that successfully.

Huzzah!

I might be lucky, but I'm able to stream RetroArch with that fancy user interface just fine.

Thumper should be going up imminently

It should be up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom