• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't get win 10 to update, tried all the fixes I've seen for this error, I guess I'll have to reinstall.
Christ, I don't have time for this shit.

Question of the day: Why do I suck so bad at Rogue Legacy and am I supposed to suck at Rogue Legacy so bad until a couple dozen hours of dying and restarting?

Question of the day: Why do I suck so bad at Rogue Legacy and am I supposed to suck at Rogue Legacy so bad until a couple dozen hours of dying and restarting?

A couple of dozen seems high I feel like I cleared the castle my first time after 5-6 hours. Its been so long I don't really have any advice other than the right combo of spells and traits makes a world of difference.

Pixieking

Banned
Can't get win 10 to update, tried all the fixes I've seen for this error, I guess I'll have to reinstall.
Christ, I don't have time for this shit.

Any specific error or problem? I was having a lot of issues until I turned metered connection off, but even after that I had a generic error saying it couldn't update... Which resolved itself behind the scenes after a few hours.

I'm never going to know my Witcher 3 playtime because of the borked in-game clock. Kinda wish I had Galaxy before I first started playing so I'd know for sure.
Is Sunless Sea a hard game? I read in a review its a roguelike? Do you get to carry anything over to the next game?

Seems interesting but I don't think I would play it much if its difficult.

Your progression resets when you die, basically, with each generation being one life. What carries over depends on how exactly you pass the torch, with planned inheritance giving the most carryover/benefits. It's really cool and gives some serious consequences to being killed while out at sea.

As to difficulty, I wouldn't call it hard so much as intense. Sunless Sea has a really oppressive atmosphere thanks to its aesthetic and writing. Like personally, it's something I really need to be in the mood to immerse myself in before playing. But anyways, the moment-to-moment gameplay is only difficult if you put yourself in a bad situation, like fighting a large group of enemies or going far into uncharted seas; and even then, it has mechanics that can help you limp back to port.

The main reason to play it is the writing. It's amazing. Don't go into it looking for a tough-as-nails roguelike or anything like that.

Nzyme32

Steam Dev Days looks like it will have some cool stuff / news - https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-dev-days-2016-day-zero/

VALVE HOSTING STEAM DEV DAYS

Summit for Desktop, Living Room, and VR Content Creation

October 11, 2016 - Happening this Wednesday and Thursday in Seattle, WA, Steam Dev Days gives content creators a chance to share their experiences using Steam and attend briefings about new tools, services, and hardware in production for 2017 and beyond.

Celebrating over 10 years since the first third-party title was launched on the platform, developers have published over 10,000 titles on Steam for Windows PC, Linux, Mac and multiple VR systems.

Support for VR was introduced just six months ago, yet developers have already published over 600 VR experiences via Steam for those using multiple VR systems, including OpenVR.

Complementing the title and revenue growth, the adoption of SteamVR Tracking continues with over 300 licensees planning to incorporate the technology for a variety of uses, ranging from entertainment VR to automotive to televisions and toys. Many of these are targeted to ship in 2017.

The two-day event will feature keynotes from third parties and Valve, who will be discussing near-term and long-term expansions to Steam. In addition, new VR peripheral prototypes will be made available for demonstration and design collaboration with attendees.

About Steam Dev Days

Steam Dev Days is a two-day developers' conference where professionals can meet in a relaxed, off the record environment. Developers will share their design and industry expertise, participate in panel discussions, and attend lectures by industry veterans on a variety of topics. Attendees will also have direct access to Valve's Steam Team, and will be given a chance to test-drive and provide feedback on new VR prototypes.

For more information, please visit http://www.steamdevdays.com/

neonglow

I can give someone an Ori coupon that posts a gif of a game they like that's on Steam. I'll pick the winner.

tumblr_o55wdweqFL1u4rawro3_500.gif

If anyone has an extra Ori voucher they're not using, I'd love to have a cheap Steam copy.

Ozium

I'm never going to know my Witcher 3 playtime because of the borked in-game clock. Kinda wish I had Galaxy before I first started playing so I'd know for sure.

Your progression resets when you die, basically, with each generation being one life. What carries over depends on how exactly you pass the torch, with planned inheritance giving the most carryover/benefits. It's really cool and gives some serious consequences to being killed while out at sea.

As to difficulty, I wouldn't call it hard so much as intense. Sunless Sea has a really oppressive atmosphere thanks to its aesthetic and writing. Like personally, it's something I really need to be in the mood to immerse myself in before playing. But anyways, the moment-to-moment gameplay is only difficult if you put yourself in a bad situation, like fighting a large group of enemies or going far into uncharted seas; and even then, it has mechanics that can help you limp back to port.

The main reason to play it is the writing. It's amazing. Don't go into it looking for a tough-as-nails roguelike or anything like that.

you can also unlock things that carry over by completing certain questlines, things that will give you a 25 percent bonus to your starting stats, etc.

Jimrpg

Nice im in it for the writing. I was worried it was going to be a difficult roguelike and not being able to carry things over, essentially not seeing any progress.

Ryne

Here are some spares from that nuuvem bundle posted above by Deques. The nuuvem10 coupon also works for the bundle. If you get the bundle, be aware HTR+ Slot Car Simulation is not a steam key, just a download:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Oniken -- MB-03FE37CEE9A39C09 - Taken by GhostTrick
Pesadelo - Regressao -- MB-C4EC978DD2CE2728 - Taken by Arthea
Chroma Squad -- MB-882A37DB6A65BB73 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Adventurezator: When Pigs Fly -- MB-052D56EC506BE9B5 - Taken by rainking187
Qasir al-Wasat -- MB-9E8CA9C1B5A57CA0 - Taken by mp1990
Holodrive - Beginner's Pack -- MB-C4C455F94A628732 - Taken by Saty
Porcunipine -- MB-3A7AA5C820AE6C72 - Taken by fspm
Phoenix Force -- MB-A164DA1C9781ADE5 - Taken by Hakkelus
Painters Guild -- MB-720CFDE3EAE3E56E - Taken by bobnowhere

Damned -- MB-BF47EAA43327BE54 - Taken by septicore

data

What are the most essential Fallout: New Vegas mods? I don't really care about visual mods. Mostly interested in UI/ new quests, locations etc

Uzzy

If Oxenfree is a remote indication of what Night School and Skybourne is capable of in the future, Tell Tale may as well throw all their games in the dumpster now.

Yep, Oxenfree is a real treat of a game, with one of the best genuine innovations in gaming mechanics this year. I'm excited to see what Night School Studio does in the future.

Hopefully Telltale can improve though, it'd be nice to see.

Nete

Is the grinding on Sunless Sea as bad as some people say?

Also, LTTP but I was out town:

Top 7 as:

a) I don't really like football that much, which makes top5 hilarious
b) The mark of shame of Mechwarrior Online. Almost 200 hours (plus something between 500 and 1000 extra hours before it was released on Steam) playing a game I don't even consider good.

Jawmuncher

I don't understand the complaints with telltale. It's a particular style. They're at this point making interactive tv shows. I don't feel they need to really add more gameplay and such. Just more refinement and a better engine going forward.

The whole telltale should throw in the cards is just dumb. Considering they're the biggest company for this content, and more or less started it.

Think it all falls back on the whole, not every game needs to be for every person. Their games are made to be playable on a vast variety of devices.

Arthea

I don't understand the complaints with telltale. It's a particular style. They're at this point making interactive tv shows. I don't feel they need to really add more gameplay and such. Just more refinement and a better engine going forward.

The whole telltale should throw in the cards is just dumb. Considering they're the biggest company for this content, and more or less started it.

Think it all falls back on the whole, not every game needs to be for every person. Their games are made to be playable on a vast variety of devices.

The problem I have with Telltale is not even their shitty engine or support or game style, it's that in positioning their games as choices games, choices don't mean a thing.
Well that and I'm not fond of that kind of gameplay, true, but I'm all for not every game is for everyone, because it's 100% true.

gngf123

DAAAAMN!!!! Blue Revolver is such a fantastic addition to the shmup genre I might end up playing it more than DoDonPachi.

The game's soundtrack is also just.... so damn good. I don't think there has been a game releaseday this year that even cones close to being this good. Only thing I can see dethroningredients it this year would be Danmaku Unlimited 3, but it looks like it's getting pushed back to 2017.

I was playing it for a bit yesterday and while I'm not familiar enough with it yet to start saying I'll play it more than DDP, I echo everything else that you said. Really enjoying it so far.

Especially the soundtrack.

AHA-Lambda

Is the grinding on Sunless Sea as bad as some people say?

Going from my limited experience from the free weekend, it was pretty rough going yeah.

Imo, I'd actually rather the game chucked the resource management aspect out and focus just on story and free roaming exploration, it'd probably play better =/

DocSeuss

Two questions:

1) is there a way to add Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 to big picture mode?

2) is there a way to use my xbox one controller, wireless, on a steam link?

Vlad

Apparently I've got one of those Ori coupons too. Didn't much care for the game myself, but it's available for anybody who wants it.

And since everybody else is doing it, top 5 played games on Steam:

1) Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (301 hours) / Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb (159 hours): This doesn't surprise me at all. I knew I played a ton of these games, and Rebirth + Afterbirth is one of the few games I got all the achievements for, so they easily deserve the top spot on my list.

2) Terraria (140 hours): WTF? I honestly didn't think I played that much Terraria. I liked the game enough and all, but I didn't find the building aspect to be all that engaging. I built my purely functional storage room to store all my stuff, killed all the bosses, and that was that. Looking through the wiki, it looks like they've added a LOT of stuff to the game since then, too. Maybe one day I'll go back to it and see what all the new content is.

3) FTL (128 hours): Now that's more like it. I still go back and play this from time to time, as I have yet to beat the game with all the ships.

4) Team Fortress 2 (106 hours): Not a surprise, as I played this a bunch back when The Orange Box came out. I think I ended up just getting bored after a while.

5) Risk of Rain (93 hours): Much like with Terraria, I knew I played a lot of this, but I didn't think it was THAT much. I guess trying to unlock everything before they added those runes which made things easier can be time-consuming.

Sch1sm

I think someone in the buy sell trade thread was selling an Ori coupon for 6€

edit: 5€
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219868112&postcount=7949

That's rather scummy, lol. At that point, anyone even thinking about purchasing it should just wait for the next sale because you'll be paying about even to paying for the coupon and the game.

Or maybe more, but honestly. I'd rather pay more to the dev than the person who tries to profit off a coupon he/she received for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom