• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's rather scummy, lol. At that point, anyone even thinking about purchasing it should just wait for the next sale because you'll be paying about even to paying for the coupon and the game.

It's not scummy, just rather stupid. If it was for a 50 dollars title, why not. But the coupon is more expensive than the game discounted. That makes it 10€... so the -75% off becomes 50% off. That makes no sense but I doubt he will sell it in the end.

Deques

From Ori store page
Purchase the Definitive Edition and receive a free copy of the original game in your library if you don't already own it.

Why not give the owners of the original game the Definitive Edition for free?

Sch1sm

It's not scummy, just rather stupid. If it was for a 50 dollars title, why not. But the coupon is more expensive than the game discounted. That makes it 10€... so the -75% off becomes 50% off. That makes no sense but I doubt he will sell it in the end.

lol. I mean, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. I think they're a bit shifty for it. Not that it matters, anyway.

---

For those of you who played Oxenfree, are the choices like Telltale or. You know. Do they actually have an effect on the story?

Jawmuncher

The problem I have with Telltale is not even their shitty engine or support or game style, it's that in positioning their games as choices games, choices don't mean a thing.
Well that and I'm not fond of that kind of gameplay, true, but I'm all for not every game is for everyone, because it's 100% true.

I think that's just the nature of the beast when you're trying to make choices but you also have a budget. It's also a problem when sequels to the games are ideas as well. Sure they could make every game have multiple endings and outcomes and such, but it would be a lot of work. Not opposed to that obviously, but I won't crucify them for what they're doing.

Especially when a steamgaf favorite life is strange fell right into the same hole of choices not really mattering.

These sorts of games are best just taken as interactive tv shows.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Heavy Metal Machines Beta -- MB-17A6FF06811E53E9 - Taken by spacellama

Dunno if this will turn into the full game later.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Turok, like if you're are a 90's kid.

I thought the concept was cool, but whenever I saw the game as a kid, I was disappointed.

Even as a child, I was a curmudgeon.

I don't remember having much fondness for Turok 2 like I did the first one but I was on PC at the time so that might be why. i read the N64 version was much better.

Is the grinding on Sunless Sea as bad as some people say?

Yes and no? There is a lot of grinding but it feels like its the right amount. The game would lose its character if it was easy and didn't have grinding.

Is Sunless Sea a hard game?

Not really, It just rewards being cautious and punishes aggressive moves.

I don't understand the complaints with telltale. It's a particular style. They're at this point making interactive tv shows. I don't feel they need to really add more gameplay and such. Just more refinement and a better engine going forward. .

This issue is Telltale use to make better games and take less time doing them.

Nzyme32

Is the grinding on Sunless Sea as bad as some people say?

Yes and no? There is a lot of grinding but it feels like its the right amount. The game would lose its character if it was easy and didn't have grinding.

Pretty much. The game is very much about the struggle of traversing the Zea and surviving but it is measured in its approach. If you play the default way that auto-saves, it is inevitable that you die, but you can carry over some of what you lose via your lineage that succeeds you or by other means. The Zubmariner expansion also expands upon this as you can venture under the Zea to find some more of what was lost

Just finished Aragami, it was pretty good.

Could have used a few extra checkpoints here and there, specifically the second to last boss fight but overall still a very enjoyable experience.

I'm tempted to go back into Dark Souls 3 so I'm ready when the DLC drops.

Kerbal Space Program update 1.2 “Loud and Clear” is now available!
Hello everyone!

Kerbals hit a milestone, they are now interconnected and they can hear you Loud and Clear! Let your imagination fly with new possibilities, build communication networks, control vehicles remotely and explore every inch of the Kerbol System in ways that weren’t possible before with this new update!

Kerbal Space program 1.2: Loud and Clear includes a broad range of improvements and features that will enrich the overall game experience, such as the introduction of CommNet and KerbNet, a rewrite of the Stability Assist System (SAS) that makes your launches more accurate and fuel efficient, an engine change from Unity 5.2 to 5.4, more tweakable options for many parts, a complete fuel system redesign, and much more!

Here are some of the highlights for this update:

CommNet
Set up your own communications networks and have better control over your probes even when they cannot establish a direct connection. Link your probes back to Kerbin via an antenna to be completely autonomous and build relay networks for better science transmission!

KerbNet
Use satellites for reconnaissance purposes, scan the terrain below you, find biomes and anomalies, and place custom waypoints with a targeting interface.

Improved Fuelflow System
The Fuelflow system has been rewritten and now you have total control over how the fuel flows through your vessels!

Improved Wheels
The stability of Wheels has been greatly improved. Your rovers, wheeled vehicles will now turn and handle smoothly, making the overall driving experience more pleasant. Aircraft are also more stable, and all wheels have realistic load limits.

You can find the complete changelog here
A substantial update. Nice.

Jawmuncher

I don't remember having much fondness for Turok 2 like I did the first one but I was on PC at the time so that might be why. i read the N64 version was much better.

This issue is Telltale use to make better games and take less time doing them.

Those better games were a different style though. Not everyone is interested in that adventure style. Also I think a bigger part is TT biting off more than they can chew, especially with bigger IPs. Which are gonna have a lot more hands in the pot telling you what you can and can't do with their ip.

Grief.exe

I've been playing the beta for the last few weeks and it is a great update. They've added some new secrets, new gameplay considerations, new parts, and tons of secrets.
I restarted my career mode and have been doing missions to all of the planets.

Looks like the mod authors have gotten all of the mods updated as well, so I'll have to add in some visual mods tonight.

While I haven't played many games released that year mostly of them were really good so the year has been great for me. Stardew Valley, That Dragon Cancer, Halcyon 6, Honey Rose, Monsters and Monocles etc.

Talking about Halcyon 6 I thought the game was already solid during early access and finally playing the complete version the developers refined the game a lot more. I'm really impressed.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Bundle Star Demon Bundle

XUnsRLj.png

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/demon-bundle

Backlogger

So how much is Ori DE with the coupon? I got the game bundled with my Xbox and then paid the $5 to upgrade it.

I'm not that far with the game and might play it more frequently on PC.

MaLDo

I read somewhere (I think this thread) about a launcher to add windows store games into steam. Someone knows where is it?

JarrodL

Personally don't see much point in top-hours-played lists. At least in my case, it's more indicative of which of my played games took LONGEST to complete, rather than what I liked or replayed most. My top 3 played on Steam are Magic 2014, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, but that's just because it took me that much time to finish all the content, not because I enjoyed them more than others ranked below them. I'd rate Hitman: Blood Money above all 3 of those, having replayed it at least once, and it's not even in my top 10 time played. And shorter games with little replay value, like The Wolf Among Us, have no chance at all of making topside in such list, although I often enjoy them a lot.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wonder what they have planned for the Steam Dev thing. They really advertised to developers to go, I got multiple emails over time about it and they advertised it in update postings. I couldn't go, but I assume there's a reason they built this up so much.

I don't expect game announcements, but probably Steam announcements.

Nzyme32

I wonder what they have planned for the Steam Dev thing. They really advertised to developers to go, I got multiple emails over time about it and they advertised it in update postings. I couldn't go, but I assume there's a reason they built this up so much.

I don't expect game announcements, but probably Steam announcements.

It's all dev focused stuff. Steam's direction for the future, new features, VR updates / peripherals / prototypes, that sort of thing. There won't be any game announcements or anything like that, and there are no media allowed at the event anyway. If there is anything important getting announced, they'd probably make a public press release. I'd take a guess that the Steam Store update could happen some time this week or even today / tomorrow.

Which reminds me:
Anyone know when SEGA usually teases their releases/announcements?
Because I am LOSING my mind here just waiting for them @_@

If the pattern is constant it should be in the next week or two ~20th October.

I need to know what it is so I know whether to even bother with Sega anymore.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's all dev focused stuff. Steam's direction for the future, new features, VR updates / peripherals / prototypes, that sort of thing. There won't be any game announcements or anything like that, and there are no media allowed at the event anyway. If there is anything important getting announced, they'd probably make a public press release. I'd take a guess that the Steam Store update could happen some time this week or even today / tomorrow.
I'm somewhat aware, but compared to last year they really advertised this years event, so I assume they have some stuff they really want to share. I wish I could of gone this year, but too busy (Bellevue is only a 2-3 hour drive for me and I have family who lives there, so going is no problem, just bad timing ).

As a person who makes small little games for Steam and uses Steam regularly though, I am strangely excited for it despite it mostly being buisness and storefront stuff probably. And I guess VR.

Nzyme32

That's easy. Remove region locks, trade hold and 2 hr card drop delay.

Result spoiler - Low cost region games sell exponentially more than other regions > cost of low cost regions increased to combat loss of revenue > said countries citizens pirate games instead since they are no longer affordable for said region > said region no longer supported by developers

Cards are gained and sold with refund period > increase in smurf accounts > rinse and repeat > increase of games purely existing for card revenue (digital homicide clones)

Ludens

Banned
If someone has a spare Lucius Demake key, i can trade it for Spec Ops the Line of Sid Meyer's Pirates (the "new" one).
Anyway I completed Oxenfree.
It was very good, I really liked it a lot, but I don't feel like I need to replay it.
I got the best ending possible I believe, found all optional stuff and so on. Really a nice title if you are from '80 and want some of the magic of that period (with movies Like Navigator, Goonies etc) back.

Nzyme32

I'm somewhat aware, but compared to last year they really advertised this years event, so I assume they have some stuff they really want to share. I wish I could of gone this year, but too busy (Bellevue is only a 2-3 hour drive for me and I have family who lives there, so going is no problem, just bad timing ).

As a person who makes small little games for Steam and uses Steam regularly though, I am strangely excited for it despite it mostly being buisness and storefront stuff probably. And I guess VR.

I think that is because it is more of a solid thing this time, and the event is a lot bigger than previously in part due to Steam's size now and SteamVR kicking off. Certainly looks crazier:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom