• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Lighthouse tech is open source / no royalties. Want to make it as ubiquitous as wifi. New base stations in 2017

Cule1d-VUAA-_hW.jpg:large

New SteamVR hand controller prototype, stays in your hand when you drop stuff in VR

CulfWThVUAAmbRm.jpg

I really dont want to say anything or defend Oculus, since Oculus is a shitty company (and I own one) but THESE look almost exactly like Oculus Touch controllers.

I kinda see that Valves new VR controllers will now also work as Oculus Touch controllers.

Nzyme32

OpenVR for Linux and OSX - Confirmed!

OpenVR platform independant - no Steam required

I really dont want to say anything or defend Oculus, since Oculus is a shitty company (and I own one) but these look like these are Oculus Touch controllers.

I kinda see that Valves new VR controllers will now also work as Oculus Touch controllers.

Design is completely different, this has a clasp system of sorts to keep the controller in your hand. Don't think there is any finger tracking.

Hmm actually, might have finger tracking. Apparently it does allow for a grasp gesture

I can see how Valve did that to counter the "Oculus Touch DRM", if you might call it like that. I mean Oculus Touch could do the finger tracking and Vive controllers couldnt emulate it, so even if you use Revive, you couldnt play those games.

I guess with those new controllers you now can.

Nzyme32

I can see how Valve did that to counter the "Oculus Touch DRM", if you might call it like that. I mean Oculus Touch could do the finger tracking and Vive controllers couldnt emulate it, so even if you use Revive, you couldnt play those games.

I guess with those new controllers you now can.

Yeah, but just thinking about it from a design perspective, I doubt it is reactionary, looks like the push to evolve lighthouse has lead to reduction of the "flower" and moved it to the clasp type thing in part. Also more curious as to what will be different with 2017 lighthouse.

Why people are excited for a Valve conference?
For devs only in addition?

They will announce the new revision of the Steam controller later, apparently. Announced new VR stuff, announced a rehaul of the client already etc.

Yeah, but just thinking about it from a design perspective, I doubt it is reactionary, looks like the push to evolve lighthouse has lead to reduction of the "flower" and moved it to the clasp type thing in part. Also more curious as to what will be different with 2017 lighthouse.

As an Oculus owner I hope they actually copy that, so Vive owners can also play some of the Oculus Touch games like the RAD game or 4A Games game.

Nzyme32

They will announce the new revision of the Steam controller later, apparently. Announced new VR stuff, announced a rehaul of the client already etc.

As an Oculus owner I hope they actually copy that, so Vive owners can also play some of the Oculus Touch games like the RAD game or 4A Games game.

Big news there appears to be that all controllers will go through the Steam API, essentially any game will that develops controller support will also do the same for the others including Steam Controller, so no more messy native support issues for the Steam Controller separate to everything else - if I understood correctly

Ok, so I'm about to finish Squarecells. I've finished Hexcells. Can anybody recommend other similar games on Steam? Not the 2 Hexcells sequels though; I will get around to them eventually, but I fancy something outside that series.

vermadas

How long until Oculus licenses Valve tech?

Oculus is trying to leapfrog lighthouse tech and get markerless inside-out tracking working. They have a prototype headset that supposedly worked pretty well. No tracked controllers were shown with it though.

Ascheroth

The 4th BlazBlue game, Central Fiction, released recently on consoles. Hope the Steam release is by year's end unless we get GG Xrd R first.

One of the new characters is Susanoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhWo1X4n8vg

Is Xrd R the 'last' version of that game?
I'm not huge on fighting games, but I'm very interested in this because the artstyle is amazing and I've heard the singleplayer campaign is essentially a full realtime CG anime season : p

Monooboe

Ok, so I'm about to finish Squarecells. I've finished Hexcells. Can anybody recommend other similar games on Steam? Not the 2 Hexcells sequels though; I will get around to them eventually, but I fancy something outside that series.

Not really the same, but Paint it Back tickles the same part of the brain for me. Other than that, oldschool minesweeper?:D

Edit: Dammit Parsnip!:D But yeah, listen to him.:D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They'll be contacting us with Aquaman's fish telepathy?

fishtelepathyo0oby.gif

You're just laying in bed preparing to finally go to sleep, when a sudden thought overtakes your head in Aquaman's voice...

"Buy Sakura Space, buy Sakura Space..."

Suddenly you find yourself online browsing the Steam Store...

Is Xrd R the 'last' version of that game?
I'm not huge on fighting games, but I'm very interested in this because the artstyle is amazing and I've heard the singleplayer campaign is essentially a full realtime CG anime season : p

If they follow BB's model (and their old model), we're getting at least 4-5 versions of Xrd

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It might be successful for developers (I do question that) but for the customer, it sucks. The more hands off Valve gets, the less useful the storefront gets.

I use to browse the store but I haven't done that in ages. This forum, and twitter keep me better informed.

Keep posted since the storefront is getting a major update soon in a few weeks, and they say they're going to start laying out more tools for people to find games they're interested in. The one they revealed that will go live with this update is to make the store page less cluttered and to introduce games friends have been playing recently to suggested titles, but they say there's a lot more coming.

Nzyme32

It might be successful for developers (I do question that) but for the customer, it sucks. The more hands off Valve gets, the less useful the storefront gets.

I use to browse the store but I haven't done that in ages. This forum, and twitter keep me better informed.

That was the point of the talk they had. It went over each transition of the Steam Store, explained why Valve step further out and what that means with Steam Store design, explained current problems, claimed "major changes to Steam in a couple of weeks". Part of the talk was also explaining the games discovered through that step back that likely wouldn't get through otherwise, but that discoverability is still an issue - hence revamp already mentioned a while back

You're just laying in bed preparing to finally go to sleep, when a sudden thought overtakes your head in Aquaman's voice...

"Buy Sakura Space, buy Sakura Space..."

Suddenly you find yourself online browsing the Steam Store...

Valve: "Who needs Mass Effect? We have our Ass Effect."

You might be interested in Patterna, which is supposedly inspired by Hexcells. The UI is nowhere near as good, but there's a demo with quit a few levels for you to try and see if you like it:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/503860/

Not as similar, but Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is also quite nice:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/

And similarly not as similar, but Splice is also pretty great, and has a lovely soundtrack:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/209790/

Pixieking

Banned

Lars @ SteamDevDays
‏@larsiusprime

"We realized we were terrible at predicting success. In the old days we would have missed games like Stardew Valley." #SteamDevDays

Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder - with curation, fantastic games wouldn't have seen a Steam release. *shrugs*

Uraizen

Banned
The 4th BlazBlue game, Central Fiction, released recently on consoles. Hope the Steam release is by year's end unless we get GG Xrd R first.

One of the new characters is Susanoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhWo1X4n8vg

Year's end? Not a chance in hell. If the Jubei rumor is true, it will start after all content is done. Revelator technically just finished getting all of its content thanks to that figure mode thing. Even then, Revelator alone coming out this year is kinda iffy, imo.

dimmer

Just got Beyond Good And Evil from Ubi 30 but it runs at 3 frames per second...
Anyone had the same experience and a fix?

1060 6GB
i5 750
12GB RAM

me0wish

ModBot said:
Instructions for me0wish:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Silince of the Sleep -- MB-2D7F127709C99F6F - Taken by dimmer
The Dream Machine: Chapter 1 & 2 -- MB-E5C69542AC6724F9 - Taken by data
xheRJRF.gif
Postal 2 -- MB-D37C521FEDEC9641 - Taken by fifasnipe2224

Enjoy

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Is this a bad thing? Their store has the right tools to set up an ecosystem that in the end leaves you informed. Is it bad that you now go through twitter and GAF instead of store.steampowered.com as long as you still get games in the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom