• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
8d08653064aa2c95b4f9113551f0b829.png

New PC announcement from Chunsoft incoming?

Shiiiiit I want it.

Durante

Big news there appears to be that all controllers will go through the Steam API, essentially any game will that develops controller support will also do the same for the others including Steam Controller, so no more messy native support issues for the Steam Controller separate to everything else - if I understood correctly
If this is the case I think it's actually worth it's own thread.

It would be extremely convenient for the game we are making.

Jadax

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone know a good site to download .mobi ebooks? I lost my copy of Words of Radiance, and I'm half way through a Stormlight Archive marathon.

madjoki

Big news there appears to be that all controllers will go through the Steam API, essentially any game will that develops controller support will also do the same for the others including Steam Controller, so no more messy native support issues for the Steam Controller separate to everything else - if I understood correctly

Hopefully it's open api / SDK, that can be used for non-steam versions too.

Knurek

Tizoc

8d08653064aa2c95b4f9113551f0b829.png

New PC announcement from Chunsoft incoming?

Chunsoft was hinting at dispair girls weren't they?

Yeah it is very likely to be Ultra Despair Girls which I wouldn't mind, but what would be cool is if it comes with Steam Workshop support so players can make their own maps or puzzles.

About this, I guess it basically means they had some good sales on Steam to consider taking it seriously.

Things can only start going uphill for them over time.

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone know a good site to download .mobi ebooks? I lost my copy of Words of Radiance, and I'm half way through a Stormlight Archive marathon.

Amazon is the only online bookstore selling Mobi for most titles AFAIK. At least, the underlying format is still Mobi, it's like AZK3 now.

Just got Beyond Good And Evil from Ubi 30 but it runs at 3 frames per second...
Anyone had the same experience and a fix?

1060 6GB
i5 750
12GB RAM

I remember BG&E had a problem where the framerate would absolutely tank when you were out in the water on your boat. There was some fix for it but you'll have to look it up if that's where your performance is messed up.

You know the latest hit man game is pretty bad.
No Kane and lynch references or Easter eggs anywhere.

The sooner the world forgets about the garbage that was Kane & Lynch the better it'll be for humanity.

Jawmuncher

I remember BG&E had a problem where the framerate would absolutely tank when you were out in the water on your boat. There was some fix for it but you'll have to look it up if that's where your performance is messed up.

The sooner the world forgets about the garbage that was Kane & Lynch the better it'll be for humanity.

This is an awful post.

Kane and Lynch were great games. I want one more for closure.

Vazduh

Rocket league question: just traded for Dominus GT body but I can't equip snakeskin decal I unlocked before. What could be the problem?

edit: whoops, just realized there's non GT version, sorry :eek:

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Live stream of Steam Dev Marketing and Selling Game panel: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1yNGaAovVQrGj

Probably not too interesting to most of you guys, but very interesting to me as someone who does deal with the store side of games. Talking about presenting your game and some general tips for Steam depots and different types of marketing stuff for Steam.

Dusk Golem

No one live tweeting the Steam Controller panel, i see.

Hopefully someone does, probably many went to marketing since marketing on Steam is something many developers want some tips on. I know if I was there I'd choose to go to this panel rather than the controller one, but obviously some people are at the controller event.

Nabs

Hopefully someone does, probably many went to marketing since marketing on Steam is something many developers want some tips on. I know if I was there I'd choose to go to this panel rather than the controller one, but obviously some people are at the controller event.

Steam Dev Days: Steam Controller

Soon we will be shipping an update that adds full configurability to controllers other than the Steam Controller. This means that players can pair their PS4 controller directly to their PC and use all the configurability options available to the Steam Controller, including use of the PS4 touchpad and gyro.

That's cool.

Dusk Golem

Curious question for you guys based off of the Steam Dev Marketing promo:

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

Knurek

This does gets hammered by the game every once in a while, but Ushiromiya family is a terrible place for any decent human being to exist in.
It's small wonder they murder each other so eagerly

Jawmuncher

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

That sounds about right. I'll give up on a steam page quick if just the banner isn't catchy

i have trailers disabled and will just look at screenshots. if i dont have a feel for what gameplay will be like then ill check out trailers.

Dusk Golem

That sounds about right. I'll give up on a steam page quick if just the banner isn't catchy

I was thinking about my own behaviors, but I don't think what I do is specifically is the popular method. But they were talking how many see parts of trailers with audio off, how most people may spend less than 10 seconds on a store page if it doesn't immediately capture their interest, and the importance of capsule art, to mind what it looks like on mobile and small screens, how a trailer seems without audio, what the game conveys in 10 seconds, and such topics, which I do think is all interesting and I kind of had thought about, but probably less seriously than I should of. They mention since it's simple to implement on Steam, many developers don't think enough about it, which I think is true.

i have trailers disabled and will just look at screenshots. if i don't have a feel for what gameplay will be like then ill check out trailers.

I certainly sometimes do this too with some games, depending on where I am when searching the store page.

---

Now talking about how to handle patch notes and Steam Key handling.

Hektor

I actually never watch the trailers on the store pages.

Usually my attention nowadays goes at first to the user review average, then i click through the screenshot (usually all, but sometimes there are too many, or i immediately notice i'm not interested), then my eyes go to the price and the additional price info of enhanced steam, then i happen to take a look at the amount of people in my friendslist that already own the game and how long they've played it and then i tend to take a last look at the all-time peak stats.

Saty

We announced in June that we had sold 500,000 controllers, and we’re now on track to sell a million by early next year.

We’ve been actively including the controller in Steam promotions, and have noticed similar response to what we see with software, including a persistent rise in baseline units after the sale.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I almost always skip trailers unless I can't figure out the game from the screenshots/store description. Sometimes, I'll get curious about how a game looks in motion, but for some reason the trailer being autoplay with microscopic video controls has trained me to click the first screenshot on a page and never look back. This is a little annoying to work around when a store page has 5-8 trailers!

Interestingly enough, I almost always watch trailers on greenlight pages. Youtube's spacious controls make all the difference, though I wish they would also not auto-play.

Hektor

I almost always skip trailers unless I can't figure out the game from the screenshots/store description. Sometimes, I'll get curious about how a game looks in motion, but for some reason the trailer being autoplay with microscopic video controls has trained me to click the first screenshot on a page and never look back. This is a little annoying to work around when a store page has 5-8 trailers!

If you deactivate the autoplay checkbox in the videoplayer, the steamstore should auto default you to the screenshots in the future

Ascheroth

Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. When I'm clicking through my Discovery Queue during sales your game has a few seconds to catch my attention in some way. If your trailer starts with a few seconds of logos I'm never going to see your game in motion unless either the banner, screenshots or description catches my interest. And yes, I veeeeeery rarely turn on the audio for trailers, if ever.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If you deactivate the autoplay checkbox in the videoplayer, the steamstore should auto default you to the screenshots in the future

I've done this a few times before, and it ends up resetting every once in a while. Not sure why, since it will randomly change even though I remain logged in, so it isn't like all of my session data is expiring?

Still, Valve's video player solution needs to be redesigned a bit. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to access any of the functions of their player on a screen with higher DPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom