• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

Curious question for you guys based off of the Steam Dev Marketing promo:

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

First thing I look at is the banner. If it's shit, I'm out already.

I have audio turned off and usually click on the screenshots instead of the first few panes which are videos simply because usually the videos are PR shit which show almost nothing of the game, screenshots at least do that.

Next thing I check is the price to see if it's acceptable (and if I'm getting the Canadian money sucks tax).

If I'm still interested, I'll check the tags (steam trading cards!) and read the product description.

If I'm still on the edge, I'll check the reviews and the discussion board.

Cool.

devdays2016_50.jpg

The share button should work as the F12 button and the PS Home button should work as the Steam Overlay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now talking about how to handle patch notes and Steam Key handling.

I've said this before and even made a thread about it, but I feel that Valve should create a mandatory patch note system that automatically releases the information as an announcement as it seems that every time a game is updated without a corresponding announcement/thread, you see people wondering what changed, and such a system would also make it clear whether the "update" Steam is downloading is a patch or a new data depot (no new announcement = game hasn't been patched). There'd be nothing preventing developers from just writing gibberish, but the difference in effort between mashing the keyboard and actually noting what the patch addresses would be minuscule, so I think virtually all devs would bother to write a helpful changelog (even something as mundane as "Fixed some sprite rendering bugs" would be preferable to silence).

Knurek

I've said this before and even made a thread about it, but I feel that Valve should create a mandatory patch note system that automatically releases the information as an announcement as it seems that every time a game is updated without a corresponding announcement/thread, you see people wondering what changed, and such a system would also make it clear whether the "update" Steam is downloading is a patch or a new data depot (no new announcement = game hasn't been patched). There'd be nothing preventing developers from just writing gibberish, but the difference in effort between mashing the keyboard and actually noting what the patch addresses would be minuscule, so I think virtually all devs would bother to write a helpful changelog (even something as mundane as "Fixed some sprite rendering bugs" would be better than nothing at all).

You should work at Valve.
Or better yet, you should be the second highest executive at Valve, only (slightly) below GabeN.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also the Halloween Sale for Steam is happening soon. Valve released the dates to developers, I won't share them but they're pretty much the dates you'd probably be able to guess.

I'll handle the Steam Halloween Sale topic this year again, I'll try to get a draft going in-between working on Hollow Bliss and update it with the banner/sale prices when it goes live. While I got busy last year, if anyone has any horror game recommendations or thoughts for any horror games on Steam, PM me and I'll try to include them with the topic.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope the advice from successful developers is streamed also, I found the 101 interesting and I love hearing developer stories, and tips and things to think about when selling a game are always appreciated. Also curious who might be speaking (if it's been announced, have personally not seen it, but kind of like the surprise).

Vlad

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

I usually play the first trailer on the left, and often have to click somewhere in the middle, since it seems like every trailer I try to watch doesn't have gameplay footage for the first half of it.

Still, I usually look at videos on YouTube if I'm looking for more of a feeling for how a game actually plays.

JaseC

You should work at Valve.
Or better yet, you should be the second highest executive at Valve, only (slightly) below GabeN.

Get a job at Valve -> buy myself a copy of Wheelman -> quit.

"Hey, everybody!"
*two minutes later*
"Bye, everybody!"

And then a grand piano falls on me before I make it back home because that's just how my luck generally goes.

Soulflarz

Banned
How do i make an ssd into my boot drive? Do I refer to google cause efforts, or is there a suggested method/guide from any of you? Like, if windows is on the HDD, getting it on the SSD/booting from that or such.

Asking for a friend, thanks!

Ascheroth

Also the Halloween Sale for Steam is happening soon. Valve released the dates to developers, I won't share them but they're pretty much the dates you'd probably be able to guess.

I'll handle the Steam Halloween Sale topic this year again, I'll try to get a draft going in-between working on Hollow Bliss and update it with the banner/sale prices when it goes live. While I got busy last year, if anyone has any horror game recommendations or thoughts for any horror games on Steam, PM me and I'll try to include them with the topic.

Much appreciated!
Talking about halloween sale and horror games, how's the PC version of Corpse Party? I'm in the mood for some animu horror.

How do i make an ssd into my boot drive? Do I refer to google cause efforts, or is there a suggested method/guide from any of you? Like, if windows is on the HDD, getting it on the SSD/booting from that or such.

Asking for a friend, thanks!

He'd have to reinstall Windows onto the SSD, then go into his BIOS and change the order of which drive loads first on boot up, change if from the HDD to the SSD. I just went through that process recently and it's fairly easy, any problem I ran into a quick google search helped.

JaseC

Ah, so...if it was a premade pc w/ windows installed, is he SOL? or...

Changing the boot order should be possible even with a limited BIOS.

Edit: Oh, that's not what you meant. Pre-assembled/OEM PCs with Windows pre-installed are supposed to come with a Windows disc, so it's rather odd that your friend has to download an ISO.

Durante

People in gaming focus on the DS4 part, but opening up the controller API and featureset to other hardware is so much bigger than that.
Really happy now.

Ah, so...if it was a premade pc w/ windows installed, is he SOL? or...

No he's not out of luck, I think he could download the Windows iso file from Microsoft, put it on a flash drive or DVD and install it with that and it should activate with his current Windows key, at least that's how mine worked, as the key is tied to the motherboard. Not sure if it will work the same with a pre-built.

Soulflarz

Banned
No he's not out of luck, I think he could download the Windows iso file from Microsoft, put it on a flash drive or DVD and install it with that and it should activate with his current Windows key, at least that's how mine worked, as the key is tied to the motherboard. Not sure if it will work the same with a pre-built.

*shrug*
g-got it. Will tell him to try!

Popstar

People in gaming focus on the DS4 part, but opening up the controller API and featureset to other hardware is so much bigger than that.
Really happy now.
You might want to temper your happiness with the knowledge that they announced something similar at the first Steam Dev Days and never really followed through.

Knurek

Really happy now.

Only if Valve open sources the Controller API.
(It's not open sourced yet, right?)

Also, Durante, important question - how's Steam Controller in Visual Novels?
DS4 is my controller of choice for them, since you have touchpad and can easily rebind anything to enter, and is light enough to just hold in one hand while clicking through text - how's SC weight-wise?

Durante

You might want to temper your happiness with the knowledge that they announced something similar at the first Steam Dev Days and never really followed through.
I assume that's just an instance of Valve time. I mean, there are screenshots.

Also, Durante, important question - how's Steam Controller in Visual Novels?
I play VNs on my touchscreen convertible laptop (from Sony! Try that for mindblowing), sorry :p

Dr Dogg

Crashed as soon as I got in from work and woke up after dreaming I was in Currys about to drop 900 notes on a Philips CDi. What a nightmare.

Still variable controller api support sounds ace. As bus says it's great news for further developer Steam Controller configs by the backdoor.

I play VNs on my touchscreen convertible laptop (from Sony! Try that for mindblowing), sorry :p

I played quite a bit of Danganronpa and even Disgaea via a touchscreen tablet. Works bloody wonders!

It's smart. Get devs to implement controller support via this API and you've tricked them into giving you Steam Controller support.
That is very clever!

I have autoplay videos off. If the game header is hard to read at a glance I'm turned off. For schmups/arcade/action games a gif playing on the page is just as helpful as the trailer. If the artsyle is something I like and go through all the screenshots I'll usually play the trailer then, but I do want to see the game right away. A bad trailer for example, is the DISTRANT trailer I watched today. So slow going and focuses on the game's tagline rather than showing what the game is like. I suppose putting text over the game is fine if you can still see the game in motion in the background.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the Endless games are on sale for some reason, and its the first time Endless Legend has been 75% off (at least on Steam proper) I think?

edit: aso buying the Amplitude Endless pack is actually cheaper than buying the Endless Collection bundle lol >_>

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Why does grid view zoom out slightly every time I launch steam?

I have to fiddle with the zoom so there isn't so much space between the games
LLShC.gif

Is this a bad thing? Their store has the right tools to set up an ecosystem that in the end leaves you informed. Is it bad that you now go through twitter and GAF instead of store.steampowered.com as long as you still get games in the end?

Well its the opposite way of how I shop for anything else. Its like being in the parking lot of Walmart and asking random people to go inside and pick something out for me because all the products have been displayed randomly and looks different for every person.

gngf123

How anime is this game?

Not anime enough for it to bother me at all, but I guess it depends on what you mean "anime".

The character designs are what they are, and the girls say the normal STG things but with a more cutsey voice ( eg, "Hypa Modo!")... That's about it really. Nothing ridiculous at all.

If you like Cave's older games or things like Crimzon Clover, then there shouldn't be anything offputting enough in here to stop you from liking this.

Grief.exe

Why does grid view zoom out slightly every time I launch steam?

I have to fiddle with the zoom so there isn't so much space between the games
LLShC.gif

No one said the zero space life would be easy, it's a tough mountain to climb, but it's worth it when you get to that summit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom