• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnor

Banned
Just finished Mafia 3.

Ending spoilers:
That entire mid-credit sequence was fantastic. Donovan is the best. I hope they continue his hunt in the sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Jet Racing Extreme -- MB-1A0DB69726996EDC - Taken by Anteater
Carrie's Order Up -- MB-CBF7A56D9CDED9B9 - Taken by Nabs
InfiniTrap -- MB-4E5FF9D740F97144 - Taken by voodooray
Liveza: Death of the Earth -- MB-815E46DD05331D4B - Taken by Hakkelus
Star Merc -- MB-CB66BE4258F92DF8 - Taken by Saty
StarFringe: Adversus -- MB-CC164CDE93AC0903 - Taken by Loptous

You think you know people, and wham!

I just love the way it feels on my eyes when I open up my laptop in the middle of the night. ;)

Hey everyone, I started steam family sharing with one of my friend's family members because they wanted to play a game for a school assignment(Literally what they said) and now I've gotten a ban on my steam account due to family sharing.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VulcanRevolver

I was just wondering if there's any way of removing this? I hate the fact that I've been a member for nearly 6 years without any sort of ban and now everyone will think that I'm a cheater :(
I made sure to remove him from my steam family sharing as soon as I received notification of the ban. So angry at him right now, I even sent him a message on Facebook explaining how peeved I am.

Deques

Anyone still looking for coupon for Ori and the Blind Forest : Definitive Edition? Decided that I do not want the upgraded version

Wok

So sorry Wok but I just had to get you underneath me :)

Big Scorer get. Feels good being in the Big 10K worldwide.

Oh... congrats!

I used to only play the daily challenge, so I think my highest score ever was higher anyway. For sure, it was higher than 500k since I got the cheevo, but how high, no idea? Ahah!

Also, Durante, important question - how's Steam Controller in Visual Novels?
DS4 is my controller of choice for them, since you have touchpad and can easily rebind anything to enter, and is light enough to just hold in one hand while clicking through text - how's SC weight-wise?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Personally, I would say that the Steam controller is too heavy for simple one-handed use, and I've have been using both hands so far when playing VNs. It is not helped by the fact that the grips on the SC are rather smooth, so it feels quite slippery when held in one hand. However, the shape of the controller means that it rests firmly on my thigh, so that could allow for one-handed use with easy access to both face-buttons and track-pad, provided that you are sitting upright.

Nzyme32

Hey everyone, I started steam family sharing with one of my friend's family members because they wanted to play a game for a school assignment(Literally what they said) and now I've gotten a ban on my steam account due to family sharing.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VulcanRevolver

I was just wondering if there's any way of removing this? I hate the fact that I've been a member for nearly 6 years without any sort of ban and now everyone will think that I'm a cheater :(
I made sure to remove him from my steam family sharing as soon as I received notification of the ban. So angry at him right now, I even sent him a message on Facebook explaining how peeved I am.

Those are permanent and can not be hidden. You'll also be prevented from playing with anyone on VAC servers for that game. You could ask Valve put there stance is zero toleranc, so I doubt you'd have any luck.

Phinor

There it is

Steam video is coming to iOS and Android in 2017, will support both streaming and offline playback

Great, more features for the 5% of Steam users who can actually access movies in Steam. Next step: even more features!

Not that I buy or rent digital movies but it's still annoying.

Those are permanent and can not be hidden. You'll also be prevented from playing with anyone on VAC servers for that game. You could ask Valve put there stance is zero toleranc, so I doubt you'd have any luck.
Man, that really sucks.
I also spoke to the guy who caused it and he doesn't even care the slightest bit and is saying I had a conversation with him where I said it would be fine, but he magically can't find any trace of me ever saying that or him sending that message(Probably because it doesn't exist!) It may sound rude of me, but considering he didn't even start his school assignment which he said he needed family sharing for URGENTLY, and instead got me a ban on my account that was spotless for nearly six years, I hope he fails his school assignment.

Soulflarz

Banned
Man, that really sucks.
I also spoke to the guy who caused it and he doesn't even care the slightest bit and is saying I had a conversation with him where I said it would be fine, but he magically can't find any trace of me ever saying that or him sending that message(Probably because it doesn't exist!) It may sound rude of me, but considering he didn't even start his school assignment which he said he needed family sharing for URGENTLY, and instead got me a ban on my account that was spotless for nearly six years, I hope he fails his school assignment.

School assignment...family sharing?

You can get a vac ban via others using your games?

Xanathus

Man, that really sucks.

Out of curiousity, what was the game that they needed to play for a school assignment? CSGO/Dota 2?

JaseC

You can get a vac ban via others using your games?

Yeah, if someone playing one your games is caught cheating, you're also slapped with a ban. This discourages sharing your library with someone outside of your family/circle of friends and also rules out Family Sharing as a method of ban circumvention.

Corpekata

Banned
Your friend's family member is an asshole that scammed you and I would tell your friend about what they did.

He has no school assignment, and if I were you I'd be fucking pissed and looking at a way to pay him back.

JaseC

Well, if you wouldn't everybody could circumvent getting his main account banned by exclusively cheating through family sharing or not?

You still have your own Steam ID when playing a shared game.

Edit: D'oh, misread your post. Yeah, if the Family Sharing account weren't also banned, people could just create a new account and access the game again via FS.

Out of curiousity, what was the game that they needed to play for a school assignment? CSGO/Dota 2?
He just said he needed to play some games for the assignment because he couldn't afford any.

"Hey Brahd, is it okay if you share your steam soon? I need to get this assignment done and I can't afford to buy any games. "
^ A facebook message he sent me.

Your friend's family member is an asshole that scammed you and I would tell your friend about what they did.

He has no school assignment, and if I were you I'd be fucking pissed and looking at a way to pay him back.
We're both pissed at him! He's a lying jerk.

Xanathus

He just said he needed to play some games for the assignment because he couldn't afford any.

"Hey Brahd, is it okay if you share your steam soon? I need to get this assignment done and I can't afford to buy any games. "
^ A facebook message he sent me.

facepalm.jpg

voodooray

Man, that really sucks.

What game was it out of interest? You weren't VAC'd it seems, so seems like it wasn't any of the usual games.

Yeah, the family sharing page does mentions that you risk bans when you use family sharing with others who cheat:

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

Will I be punished for any cheating or fraud conducted by other users while playing my games?

Your Family Library Sharing privileges may be revoked and your account may also be VAC banned if your library is used by others to conduct cheating or fraud. Additionally, VAC-banned games cannot be shared. We recommend you only authorize familiar computers you know to be secure. And as always, never give your password to anyone.

We both go to the same college, and I had just recently finished an English assignment on Spec Ops: The Line, so I figured it was plausible enough. I shouldn't have trusted him, obviously. =/

What game was it out of interest? You weren't VAC'd it seems, so seems like it wasn't any of the usual games.

Yeah, the family sharing page does mentions that you risk bans when you use family sharing with others who cheat:

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing
The notification said Black Ops 2 and Black Ops 2 Multiplayer.
I just installed Black Ops 2 single player though and I can still play it though which is good. I've never been banned before. D: I'm not a cheater, but now everyone will think I am. D:

gngf123

Has anyone played Hacknet?

I've played it a little, and am really enjoying it so far.

Soundtrack is good, the hacking gameplay feels rewarding and it uses UNIX commands as a base.

It starts off simple enough that previous experience of using command prompts isn't necessary, but it can definitely help.

JaseC

The notification said Black Ops 2 and Black Ops 2 Multiplayer.
I just installed Black Ops 2 single player though and I can still play it though which is good. I've never been banned before. D: I'm not a cheater, but now everyone will think I am. D:

Game/VAC bans don't lock you out of the game itself, just VAC-secured servers. You can still play BLOPS 2 MP via LAN, for instance.

Wok

How can you get VAC-banned due to family sharing if "VAC-banned games cannot be shared"?

Edit: Hmm... VAC-protected games can be shared. I misread the quote as "VAC-protected games cannot be shared".

JaseC

How can you get VAC-banned due to family sharing if "VAC-banned games cannot be shared"?

You're confusing VAC-banned with VAC-secured. A VAC-banned game isn't a VAC-banned game until you've been VAC-banned. VAC-banned!

Lain

Well, if you wouldn't everybody could circumvent getting his main account banned by exclusively cheating through family sharing or not?

Vac ban the person playing through sharing and disable family sharing completely (to share and to be shared) for the family sharing account would be a better punishment/course of action in my mind.

I've preordered Shadow Warrior 2. This is the first time I've actually preordered a game directly through Steam. I really hope the game is good, but refunding is an option right?

Game/VAC bans don't lock you out of the game itself, just VAC-secured servers. You can still play BLOPS 2 MP via LAN, for instance.
Oh okay, that's good to know, Thank you Jase. :)

I suppose I should also mention I shared my Origin account with their family as well(They let me live there for a while when I was homeless, so I trusted these people!), but this same guy Blake accidentally bought The Sims 4 on my account instead of his, so as my FUCK YOU to him, I'm changing the password of my Origin account and now it's my game.
They bought it for $70 and have over a hundred hours played on it. I hope they enjoy buying it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom