• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
Am I only thinking that you are making nothing into a problem? You are probably to early to see the entire package in the Steam store. Is the package even released?

Lol for "nothing into a problem".
Yeah, missing those dlcs isn't the end of the world, I won't for sure play the game again soon or replay it to use those skins, but I find extremely dumb the fact at the moment only new users can get the dlc if they buy the new version.
Because, since it's a bundle, you can't purchase it again.
And yes, it is released already, you can buy it.

I swear you bring up one flaw of Dark Souls (shitty ass PvP) and everybody swears the online is perfect and it's all my fault.

Now I remember why Steamgaf is best gaf.

Jawmuncher

Lis gave u the final option of
letting chloe live or undo saving her
while the aftermath is left ambigious choosing to let her live does not invalidate all u had done

Some might even go so far as to say it's a great place to start AND end your adventures in Borderlands.

I'm still of the mindset that TellTale knows what to do with Borderlands better than Gearbox.

You've reminded me, the thing about TWD S1's ending is that it so effortlessly builds up to it. (Legit, if vague, spoilers):
It brings the characters to a completely natural spot makes it so that there is no choice at all. The player knows how it ends.
THAT is what makes a good ending.

Life is Strange is in a similar boat as TWD S1.

And as another notch against TWD S2, it never gave me this feeling.

This is where I disagree since I felt that with the TWD S2 ending rather than the S1 ending. As for LiS I just felt the journey wasn't worth the destination. It had great moments, but I really expected more from it.

I swear you bring up one flaw of Dark Souls (shitty ass PvP) and everybody swears the online is perfect and it's all my fault.

Even worse is the people who say the online is bad except in DS2.

The online is bad in all the games after Demons. For some reason that game doesn't have the stupid phantom hits that all the others do.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
5GueBip.png

Just finished Mafia III

Kinda disappointing tbh, the best bit was definitely the mid credits scene (Is this a spoiler? Saying theres a scene there?)

Didn't like the ending
I got. Will Youtube the others, I chose to rule with Vito, Burke and Cass as I thought it would let me replay the other endings, but NOPE

Donovan was the stand out character. The repetitive missions killed the flow of the story, to the point where I felt sympathy for Sal and Giorgi at the end.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shadow Warrior 2 is live. 15.5GB install, 14.9GB download (there really should have been a pre-load period).

5GueBip.png

Just finished Mafia III

Kinda disappointing tbh, the best bit was definitely the mid credits scene (Is this a spoiler? Saying theres a scene there?)

Didn't like the ending
I got. Will Youtube the others, I chose to rule with Vito, Burke and Cass as I thought it would let me replay the other endings, but NOPE

Donovan was the stand out character. The repetitive missions killed the flow of the story, to the point where I felt sympathy for Sal and Giorgi at the end.

PixelVision comes with a couple of fonts that you apparently haven't installed (SegoeWP and a semi-bold variant).

Orgen

I've always treated TT games as a 'narrative' first, 'illusion of decision' second, and never expect to deviate too far from what the game expects to happen for the majority of its players.

That said, I was definitely surprised how season 2 can end in one of two _very_ different ways depending on your prior decisions. It will make me curious to see if Season 3 ends up just joining them up to start at the same place, or if it will really treat them as 2 different starting branches.

It seems Clementine is several years older in Season 3, and seeing that there were no returning characters from Season 1 in Season 2 (except
Kenny
) I don't expect the end of Season 2 to have a huge impact on Season 3. I'd love to be wrong but I'm still sour about Season 2 coming from Season 1.

Wolf Among Us is fantastic. My favorite Telltale game to date. Still waiting for season 2, iirc 1 was quite open ended.

That's what I've been told, that WAU is better at managing the story and branches. I also have Tales from the Borderlands pending so maybe I'll get faith on Telltale again after playing these 2 games :)

TWD: Michonne is a huge step down from S1 and S2, so if you're already frustrated with them then you should probably skip it.

And yeah, if TellTale actually hunkered down and extended the freedom of choice and consequence in their games while keeping a TWD S1-style length I think they'd have a real hit on their hands. Though I kind of get the feeling that their niche of cinematic adventures are flexible enough for most of their audience so they'd gain little. It's probably why they stick to licensed things, for free marketing (because otherwise they'd need to market on features, rather than familiarity). It's a shame.

Don't tell me that about Michonne! :( At least is it more "gamey" than Season 2? I'm pretty sure that there was an Episode on Season 2 that the only thing I did was moving forward Clementine and talk with 2 people. The rest was a long cutscene with the dialog options :|

That's the thing, The Walking Dead games have a lot of potential and seeing it wasted is disappointing.

Drakhyrr

It seems Clementine is several years older in Season 3, and seeing that there were no returning characters from Season 1 in Season 2 (except
Kenny
) I don't expect the end of Season 2 to have a huge impact on Season 3. I'd love to be wrong but I'm still sour about Season 2 coming from Season 1.

TellTale is not very good at making your decisions relevant. Based on that fact alone, I was pretty sure that (Season 2 spoilers)
whoever was left with Clem at the end of S2 would just be dead or die at the first few minutes of S3. So I chose to keep going alone

If they can barely make your decisions make a difference within one game, I'm pretty sure they won't make them relevant going from one game to another.

Even worse is the people who say the online is bad except in DS2.

The online is bad in all the games after Demons. For some reason that game doesn't have the stupid phantom hits that all the others do.
I never did play Demons Souls but that's baffling if so.

I kinda like Popgaf better though

there's less anime there
I dislike popgaf the most because of their garbage gifs and catty attitudes about everything.

What happened to the discount on Shadow Warrior 2? I put it in my cart when it was 20% off (with 2 hours left). Now it's full price all of a sudden?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What happened to the sale on Shadow Warrior 2? I put it in my cart when it was 20% off (with 2 hours left). Now it's full price all of a sudden?

It was a pre-order discount and the game unlocked a couple of hours early.

Regginator

People think DS1's online was perfect?? It's basically all lag stabs and zero "proper" skill whatsoever.

Now I've heard it all.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
People think DS1's online was perfect?? It's basically all lag stabs and zero "proper" skill whatsoever.

Now I've heard it all.

It's part of the black and white mentality many people on the internet have. Either something is 'absolute garbage' for even the pettiest of reasons or telling others to not like things they don't like, or flaws in something well liked is 'part of the experience' and perfect as it is. People spouting this and glossing over flaws about Dark Souls with the "Get Gud", "Dark Souls showed me what it was like to love games again," crowd makes sense in that context.

Lomax

So Sunless Sea is on sale (66%) again. I think for the third or fourth time since i got in on my wishlist. Probably pull the trigger this time, even when the gameplay seems kind of grindy.

Can someone name some good improvements since the release, like patches and updates? I read some reviews when it was released on steam, and it got very different ones.

Basically i have less problems with grinding in games, finished Punch Club some days ago for example and i loved it, but in Sunless Sea it seemed to be a downer for some people.

It's slow, but it's not what I would call grindy. Don't try to do it as a trading game, and don't try to push for optimal play style, just be cautious and read everything and enjoy the atmosphere. It very much is a game about the journey, not about getting bigger numbers (though there are plenty of numbers to get bigger too).

Orgen

TellTale is not very good at making your decisions relevant. Based on that fact alone, I was pretty sure that (Season 2 spoilers)
whoever was left with Clem at the end of S2 would just be dead or die at the first few minutes of S3. So I chose to keep going alone

If they can barely make your decisions make a difference within one game, I'm pretty sure they won't make them relevant going from one game to another.

Hahaha yep, that's what I'm thinking. It doesn't matter how you end Season 2 because it'll be non consequential for Season 3. Anyway in the end of Season 2
I chose to save Kenny (the only character with some charisma from the whole gang) but stayed on Wellington in the end without him. It'd be nice to see him again in Season 3 but I don't think it's going to happen.
)

Don't tell me that about Michonne! :( At least is it more "gamey" than Season 2? I'm pretty sure that there was an Episode on Season 2 that the only thing I did was moving forward Clementine and talk with 2 people. The rest was a long cutscene with the dialog options :|

That's the thing, The Walking Dead games have a lot of potential and seeing it wasted is disappointing.

It feels like there's even less game in Michonne vs. S2, and I don't mean because it has fewer episodes.

Michonne kinda like a cliff notes adventure, with two episodes trimmed out. Like, to me, it always felt like I was catching up with the story. It does have some good 'TellTale moments,' but they don't really have any impact because of how rapid fire they need to be for the story progression. Like, I couldn't tell you the name of a single character in it outside of Michonne (which... on second thought... isn't that different from S2.) but it feels worse here because of how poorly framed everything is.

I just found it to be... blah.

Nzyme32

Brexit is finally killing us.

#MarmiteGate has begun.

Between this and Steam game prices in other currencies being more expensive than before - expect mass rioting!

JarrodL

Curious question for you guys based off of the Steam Dev Marketing promo:

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

My normal process when checking out new game page:

First I check the page for familiar signs indicating the game is not for me. For example, multiplayer-only titles, F2P (in most cases), MMO, no english language in my region, intrusive DRM are all instant red flags for me and usually I move on immediately. Otherwise, I scroll through the description and check the screenshots to get an idea of what the game is about (takes just a few seconds). Often that's already enough information for me to put the game on my wishlist or mark as not interested. I check the videos if I'm on the fence about the game and want to see some gameplay, or if the screenshots and description aren't clear on what the game actually is. If I do watch the videos, I click through until I find sections with gameplay, then watch them for 10-30 seconds.

If I can't find any gameplay and the videos only consist of cutscenes or whatnot, I shake my head and do this:
really_house_of_cards.gif

Haven't played it yet and despise Borderlands so... :p

I'm no fan of the Borderlands games either but Tales from is a really good game, and one that is definitely worth playing whether you've never played a Borderlands game before or even if you hate the series entirely. Second best game of last year behind Life is Strange for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So Valve has til tomorrow to avoid legal action by the state - I wonder what will come of this.

If I worked at Valve, this part would make me sweat bullets:

Valve Corporation has until October 14, 2016 to provide me a response with supporting evidence showing the steps it has taken to bring the company into full compliance with Washington's gambling laws. If Valve Corporation fails to comply, the Washington State Gambling Commission will exercise its authority under state gambling laws. Our actions could include: seizure and forfeiture of any property related to illegal gambling activities; forfeiture of Valve Corporatoin's corporate charter; and possible criminal charges against employees for facilitating the above-referenced illegal activities.

via GameRevolution

Lomax

So Valve has til tomorrow to avoid legal action by the state - I wonder what will come of this.

If I worked at Valve, this part would make me sweat bullets:

via GameRevolution

Valve: "So whose turn was it to be the legal department this week?"

Though in all seriousness I'm kinda expecting the marketplace to be disabled tomorrow as a temporary fix.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Curious question for you guys based off of the Steam Dev Marketing promo:

How long do you guys normally spend on a Steam Store page? Do you watch trailers, watch the first 10 seconds, click through? Right now they're talking about the importance of being interesting with your trailers in less than 10 seconds, many without audio in their discovery queue. Curious what you guys think?

I'm not an average user. I go through my entire queue until it's empty (i.e. I have been through 10,000+ games). Typically when a game comes up I look at the logo. If it's anime or minecraft clone garbage, I click not interested before any other assets enter my field of vision. I then check the tags and if I see "Free-to-Play" and "Multiplayer", I click not interested. Then I scan over to the main carousel. If the video is still showing logos or it's not clear what the game is, I skip to the first screenshot. I rapidly click 2-3 screenshots to figure out, and then make a snap decision to say Not Interested, Next, or Wishlist. If the video is showing me what I want (generally I have sound off), I make a decision based on that.

The way I see it, I'm trying to balance Type I and Type II errors (false positives and false negatives). A false negative is me saying not interested for something I'm eventually interested in. False negatives are not so bad because if someone else talks about the game or it's in a bundle or it gets some buzz, I'll double back and re-evaluate it.

False positives can either be "I clicked next instead of not interested", in which case I'll only see the game if I'm checking weekly sales and it's on sale, and I give it a more thorough review before buying, or "I clicked wishlist instead of not interested", which is a little worse because I actually use my wishlist a lot to decide whether or not to buy a bundle.

Queue stats:
10,278 titles viewed
7,648 titles not interested

Teggy

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, I think. It's inaccessible by default, though.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ is the location.

As you are trying to run them, note that they activate from within containers instead of like normal .exe . Edit: Good post below.

If you want to change where they are saved, Settings > System > Storage

Just getting back to the thread - thanks guys.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Though in all seriousness I'm kinda expecting the marketplace to be disabled tomorrow as a temporary fix.

Yeah in cases like this Valve's flat structure and lack of heirarchy can be hurtful. I'm sure someone is working on whatever redresses the state wants, but I doubt they will be able to comply in a nuanced way without facing some kind of sanctions. I would expect the marketplace to be disabled as well for a short period until the regulators can be appeased.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Disabling the marketplace would actually make sense in some ways, but there is no way that Valve would be willing to leave so much on the table over this I think.

This is going to be super interesting.

One thing I've been seeing online is a lot of people not realizing the extent of authority the Washington State Gambling Commission actually has. They are a state-funded agency (just like the state police or liquor control commission) that absolutely has the authority to carry out their claims. Gabe Newell (or anyone else working at Valve, apparently) could even be personally arrested and have charges brought against them. This is like when the SEC (a nationally funded commission) arrests executives for fraud.

I'm sure Valve's lawyers are aware of the implications, but seeing as everyone is chilling out at Dev Days this week, it doesn't seem like any actual work is being done there to comply.

Will be very interesting indeed to see what happens.

Nabs

from the alienware giveway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Shadow Warrior -- MB-1751B94FED09F11C - Taken by NeoRaider

Vuze

I despise Borderlands as well.
Tales from the Borderlands was great either way.
I'm no fan of the Borderlands games either but Tales from is a really good game, and one that is definitely worth playing whether you've never played a Borderlands game before or even if you hate the series entirely. Second best game of last year behind Life is Strange for me.
You can despise Borderlands and love Tales from the Borderlands. That's how good it is.
Oh wow, lots of love for the game. Might pick it up in the xmas sale
For now, I just hope I can get through TT Batman without losing my save or going insane because they won't fix the finisher combo on controllers (I had to get up and use the keyboard each time when I played the two episodes available so far <_<)

Phawx

I'm sure Valve's lawyers are aware of the implications, but seeing as everyone is chilling out at Dev Days this week, it doesn't seem like any actual work is being done there to comply.

Will be very interesting indeed to see what happens.

Haha, oh man. Well I look forward to tomorrow. More so than usual.

another copy from Alienware

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nyteshade517, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Shadow Warrior -- MB-CB6AAC3FCA4DF502 - Taken by sixteen-bit

It's time to see just how much they want to push the Valve Time thing.

I mean, when Steam imploded and was spewing personal information last Christmas it took them forever to get in gear and do anything. So, if any company was to drag their feet on this it would be Valve.
You can despise Borderlands and love Tales from the Borderlands. That's how good it is.

This is the cold, hard truth.

MUnited83

For you.

Disabling the marketplace would make no sense
CS GO gambling would exist without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom