• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonglow

Oh okay, that's good to know, Thank you Jase. :)

I suppose I should also mention I shared my Origin account with their family as well(They let me live there for a while when I was homeless, so I trusted these people!), but this same guy Blake accidentally bought The Sims 4 on my account instead of his, so as my FUCK YOU to him, I'm changing the password of my Origin account and now it's my game.
They bought it for $70 and have over a hundred hours played on it. I hope they enjoy buying it again.

I know you're angry but if they let you live at their place for a while, I think changing the Origin account password would be petty. Getting free rent is a much better value than $70. If other family members besides Blake plays it, it's gonna cause tension between you and them.

So Sunless Sea is on sale (66%) again. I think for the third or fourth time since i got in on my wishlist. Probably pull the trigger this time, even when the gameplay seems kind of grindy.

Can someone name some good improvements since the release, like patches and updates? I read some reviews when it was released on steam, and it got very different ones.

Basically i have less problems with grinding in games, finished Punch Club some days ago for example and i loved it, but in Sunless Sea it seemed to be a downer for some people.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only thing they didn't announce is Steam for consoles, at least for PS4 like what they did for PS3.

That was just Steam integration within the PS3 version of Portal 2. Valve has no games on the PS4. I actually wouldn't be surprised if future Valve game are PC-exclusive, especially considering the console versions of CS:GO were literally never patched and whatever roadblock prevented the release of the game on European PSN stores was never resolved.

Shantom

Smash+Grab, from the Sleeping Dogs devs, is having an extended free weekend starting soon
free_weekend_steamImage_ND.png

Orgen

Completed "The Walking Dead: Season 2" yesterday and... I'm a disappointed :| The game is shorter (like half of Season 1), is more like a movie than a game and the choices don't matter anything (
You can't save Luke whatever you choose and the worst of all is despite not robbing the medicines from Arvo and showing the "He'll remember this" message while he's thanking Clementine, later not only he provokes a shootout but also shoots against Clementine! WTF Telltale...
)

Anyway, I wanted to play TWD: Michonne but I'm getting frustrated with the Walking Dead games so maybe I'll try the Wolf Among Us.

Annubis

He just said he needed to play some games for the assignment because he couldn't afford any.

"Hey Brahd, is it okay if you share your steam soon? I need to get this assignment done and I can't afford to buy any games. "
^ A facebook message he sent me.

We're both pissed at him! He's a lying jerk.

Why would you agree to that? That's quite a weak pitch...

voodooray

Completed "The Walking Dead: Season 2" yesterday and... I'm a disappointed :| The game is shorter (like half of Season 1), is more like a movie than a game and the choices don't matter anything (
You can't save Luke whatever you choose and the worst of all is despite not robbing the medicines from Arvo and showing the "He'll remember this" message while he's thanking Clementine, later not only he provokes a shootout but also shoots against Clementine! WTF Telltale...
)

Anyway, I wanted to play TWD: Michonne but I'm getting frustrated with the Walking Dead games so maybe I'll try the Wolf Among Us.

I've always treated TT games as a 'narrative' first, 'illusion of decision' second, and never expect to deviate too far from what the game expects to happen for the majority of its players.

That said, I was definitely surprised how season 2 can end in one of two _very_ different ways depending on your prior decisions. It will make me curious to see if Season 3 ends up just joining them up to start at the same place, or if it will really treat them as 2 different starting branches.

Vuze

)

Wolf Among Us is fantastic. My favorite Telltale game to date. Still waiting for season 2, iirc 1 was quite open ended.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Happy birthday !

Yo if anyone ever brings up the 30 vs 60 FPS debate again just use Hyper Light Drifter. with 30 FPS the camera feels like it is being dragged whereas it moves silky smooth in 60 FPS @_@

Happy b-day Lashley!

Ucchedavāda;220053011 said:
Happy birthday!

Have a nice day!

Haaaaaaaaaaaapyyyy Birthdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D

Happy b-day!

j1515182_1290257193.jpg
That means we have to post anime cake eating gifs right?

raw

Happy Birthday :D

Thanks! :)

MadGear

I just read about the DS4 Support for Steam. Very unexpected. If this ends up working with other PS4 input devices as well then Street Fighter V might finally get its (limited) support of DirectInput devices. Clearly Capcom was waiting for this and not simply not giving a fuck about the PC version.

Now I just wish they would also add an option to map keyboard inputs to controller inputs within Steam. That would actually help me a lot with games like SFV and DoA5 (since AHK isn't working well for me).

JaseC

Now I just wish they would also add an option to map keyboard inputs to controller inputs within Steam. That would actually help me a lot with games like SFV and DoA5 (since AHK isn't working well for me).

The Steam Controller API has supported keyboard -> controller mapping since day one. When the API has been updated to support the DS4, you'll be able to do the very same thing with said controller, and this will also be true of other controllers Valve adds support for (it intends to expand beyond the DS4).

2aN746W.gif

)

TWD: Michonne is a huge step down from S1 and S2, so if you're already frustrated with them then you should probably skip it.

And yeah, if TellTale actually hunkered down and extended the freedom of choice and consequence in their games while keeping a TWD S1-style length I think they'd have a real hit on their hands. Though I kind of get the feeling that their niche of cinematic adventures are flexible enough for most of their audience so they'd gain little. It's probably why they stick to licensed things, for free marketing (because otherwise they'd need to market on features, rather than familiarity). It's a shame.

And SteamGAF... one week to Stellaris: Leviathans. Mark your calendars, it's gonna be a big'un.

Durante

FWIW, I also felt like TWD S2 was a pretty big drop off in quality from S1.

In fact, it more or less killed my interest in Telltale games for a few years at least.

I thought season 2 was way better than 1.
1s set up was way too obvious

I dunno, I don't think anyone could have predicted the complete rug-pull that S1 Ep5 introduced. It was just kind of... "of everything you could do, you chose this?" Specifically, you know,
the psychotic 'victim' out for revenge against the group.

I also liked both S1 and S2, but the latter suffers by virtue of not being S1. Also, S2 was brought down a bit from TellTale's general shedding of adventure gameplay since they made S1, which makes it feel more on-rails and less impactful. The still moments of TWD S1, where you're in a location and just stewing in the atmosphere and sense of place, wandering around and interacting with the characters and world, did a lot to cement its place near the top of TellTale's output.

Life is Strange showed up TellTale's more recent work in a lot of ways precisely because it wasn't afraid to embrace the adventure game format. Like, it has these specific interactions at certain locations where you can just sit back and enjoy the ambiance. It's really well done.

Jawmuncher

I dunno, I don't think anyone could have predicted the complete rug-pull that S1 Ep5 introduced. It was just kind of... "of everything you could do, you chose this?" Specifically, you know,
the psychotic 'victim' out for revenge against the group.

I also liked both S1 and S2, but the latter suffers by virtue of not being S1. Also, S2 was brought down a bit from TellTale's general shedding of adventure gameplay since they made S1, which makes it feel more on-rails and less impactful. The still moments of TWD S1, where you're in a location and just stewing in the atmosphere and sense of place, wandering around and interacting with the characters and world, did a lot to cement its place near the top of TellTale's output.

Life is Strange showed up TellTale's more recent work in a lot of ways precisely because it wasn't afraid to embrace the adventure game format. Like, it has these specific interactions at certain locations where you can just sit back and enjoy the ambiance. It's really well done.

Too bad the ending for life is strange was bullshit

Too bad the ending for life is strange was bullshit
I was fine with the ending, I just wish they weren't cut short by budget. It really deserved more.

TT's Game of Thrones, though, that really could've used an actual ending. It was a real slap in the face, especially considering it had a sixth episode. Actually, the whole rollercoaster of quality between Tales From the Borderlands and Game of Thrones is kind of staggering; the former is GotY-tier, and the latter is a giant trailer.

TellTale is a weird company.

Tizoc

FWIW, I also felt like TWD S2 was a pretty big drop off in quality from S1.

In fact, it more or less killed my interest in Telltale games for a few years at least.
Sure!y you played wolf among us and tales from blands at least? Their best games in their specific genre

Tales from the Borderlands is the best guys, please don't miss it.

It's also a great place to start if you haven't played any Borderlands game.

Ludens

Banned

Bah, I don't even understand why I can't find the game on Steam yet.
It doesn't appear here, but I can put it on the basket using the link you provided. Also it lists only TPP, why?
If it's a bundle it should list GZ and all dlcs too?

JaseC

Bah, I don't even understand why I can't find the game on Steam yet.

It's not a separate app. It's a package that contains GZ, TPP, and the DLC.

It doesn't appear here, but I can put it on the basket using the link you provided. Also it lists only TPP, why?
If it's a bundle it should list GZ and all dlcs too?

That's just because the store pages of the other items aren't set up to show the Definitive Edition as a "package that includes this game". They're definitely included.

Jawmuncher

Looking back at it the ending was fine

I was fine with the ending, I just wish they weren't cut short by budget. It really deserved more.

TT's Game of Thrones, though, that really could've used an actual ending. It was a real slap in the face, especially considering it had a sixth episode. Actually, the whole rollercoaster of quality between Tales From the Borderlands and Game of Thrones is kind of staggering; the former is GotY-tier, and the latter is a giant trailer.

TellTale is a weird company.

Was more bothered by the LiS ending than I was game of thrones. For all that build up, they punked out and went hella cliche. With GoT I just accepted it was a cliff hanger. We know there will be another anyway.

Also back to Season 1 vs 2 for walking dead, I was particularly talking about the ending. A lot of people like it for that, but I wasn't impressed.

Ludens

Banned
It's not a separate app. It's a package that contains GZ, TPP, and the DLC.

That's just because the store pages of the other items aren't set up to show the Definitive Edition as a "package that includes this game". They're definitely included.

Umh, am I the only one thinking this is very shady?
I mean, you see the DE, you think "well, it seems I already own it since it's a bundle", but you miss a DLC, the unknown one, which has no store page at all (and the only way to know it's included is to check steamdb at the moment).

Tizoc

Was more bothered by the LiS ending than I was game of thrones. For all that build up, they punked out and went hella cliche. With GoT I just accepted it was a cliff hanger. We know there will be another anyway.

Also back to Season 1 vs 2 for walking dead, I was particularly talking about the ending. A lot of people like it for that, but I wasn't impressed.
Lis gave u the final option of
letting chloe live or undo saving her
while the aftermath is left ambigious choosing to let her live does not invalidate all u had done

Volimar

So the Skyrim remaster looks like it will be pretty good. Mods for consoles will be nice but I wonder if they'll have official mods for the PC version too. Nexus is fine, but I like the ease of having the mod menu right in the game. Was pretty nice for Fallout 4.

Tales from the Borderlands is the best guys, please don't miss it.

It's also a great place to start if you haven't played any Borderlands game.

Some might even go so far as to say it's a great place to start AND end your adventures in Borderlands.

I'm still of the mindset that TellTale knows what to do with Borderlands better than Gearbox.

You've reminded me, the thing about TWD S1's ending is that it so effortlessly builds up to it. (Legit, if vague, spoilers):
It brings the characters to a completely natural spot makes it so that there is no choice at all. The player knows how it ends.
THAT is what makes a good ending.

Life is Strange is in a similar boat as TWD S1.

And as another notch against TWD S2, it never gave me this feeling.

That was just Steam integration within the PS3 version of Portal 2. Valve has no games on the PS4. I actually wouldn't be surprised if future Valve game are PC-exclusive, especially considering the console versions of CS:GO were literally never patched and whatever roadblock prevented the release of the game on European PSN stores was never resolved.

Not to mention the apparent trash talk they did about consoles (and mobile) yesterday.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Waiting on a deal for Life is Strange as I really enjoyed the atmosphere and style of the first (free) episode.

Tales from the Borderlands is great though. I played through most of that over a weekend when my girlfriend was away and it really helped, mainly because I was so keen to play the next episode. None of the games can beat the art style of TWAU though. Love that, but I loved Fables so being in that world (especially Snow's office, being the most recognisable location from the comics) was awesome. Hope that both get another season.

Nzyme32

Spent several hours playing multiplayer Mario Kart, and we're all thinking how long its been since we played the thing. Nintendo needs to get it together already

Not to mention the apparent trash talk they did about consoles (and mobile) yesterday.

I saw the opening video on that, and that didn't seem to be the case, although the audience and twitter certainly seemed to want it to go that way - https://www.periscope.tv/w/1lDGLmZABQYJm

I think Sweeney made some bold claims about thinking PC being more profitable to a point but that's it

Deques

Umh, am I the only one thinking this is very shady?
I mean, you see the DE, you think "well, it seems I already own it since it's a bundle", but you miss a DLC, the unknown one, which has no store page at all (and the only way to know it's included is to check steamdb at the moment).

Am I only thinking that you are making nothing into a problem? You are probably to early to see the entire package in the Steam store. Is the package even released?

Tizoc

Waiting on a deal for Life is Strange as I really enjoyed the atmosphere and style of the first (free) episode.

Tales from the Borderlands is great though. I played through most of that over a weekend when my girlfriend was away and it really helped, mainly because I was so keen to play the next episode. None of the games can beat the art style of TWAU though. Love that, but I loved Fables so being in that world (especially Snow's office, being the most recognisable location from the comics) was awesome. Hope that both get another season.
Didnt it go for $10-15 during recent sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom