• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Disabling the marketplace would make no sense
CS GO gambling would exist without it.

True, you'd have to shut down the ability for users to trade items with each other

Lomax

Disabling the marketplace would make no sense
CS GO gambling would exist without it.

Well when I say the marketplace, I mean all item transfers and transactions obviously. It wouldn't be a permanent fix clearly, but unless they have something else in place about to happen we haven't heard about, I can't really see anything else they could do. Though since the action specifically targets CS:GO I guess they could just disable all item transactions related only to that and be okay.

Branson

So what did PC owners of Rise of Tomb Raider get for the 20th anniversary? I haven't played it yet but got a decent sized update.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
True, you'd have to shut down the ability for users to trade items with each other

I think simply adding an age gate of 18+ (or 21+?) would probably be acceptable. You can't hold a company accountable if their users lie, right? As long as the company is making a good faith effort to enforce the policies, they shouldn't be held accountable. Unless the point here is that they have already broken good faith. I'm not exactly sure what the accusations are referring to since I don't pay any attention at all to CS:GO.

Nzyme32

Could they make skins have a value of 0 once traded from the original owner? That would effectively make using Skins as gambling chips worthless, yet still have minimal value for those who genuinely like the aesthetics of the thing

Ascheroth

I remembered that I actually do have some projects to show, if anyones interested. (They're free, on GameJolt).

One Push-Men was created during a GameJam with the theme 'your powers don't work on me!' and is a local 2player VS-game (it does have a single player, but it's insanely difficult :p).

Fragments was created for an assignment, where the task was to create a short low-poly walking simulator, with a focus on finding an interesting artstyle.

I was involved on the coding and concept-side of things in both those games.

It's slow, but it's not what I would call grindy. Don't try to do it as a trading game, and don't try to push for optimal play style, just be cautious and read everything and enjoy the atmosphere. It very much is a game about the journey, not about getting bigger numbers (though there are plenty of numbers to get bigger too).

Thanks for the hints. Cant´t wait to dive into this game.

Lomax

I'm sure they already have a letter drafted by their attorney stating they sent cease and desist letters to all of these sites and blah blah blah. It's a punt, but it'll buy them some time.

That won't satisfy a gambling commission. Gambling commissions want their chunks of the money. If they think Valve is making money enabling gambling (which they are), they want oversight and a piece of the action. So either Valve makes it impossible, or there's going to be some sort of involvement going forward.

MUnited83

For you.
Could they make skins have a value of 0 once traded from the original owner? That would effectively make using Skins as gambling chips worthless, yet still have minimal value for those who genuinely like the aesthetics of the thing

Impossible, because no one actually gives a shit about the market value. The price is set by the community and it it would still be a gambling chip.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure they already have a letter drafted by their attorney stating they sent cease and desist letters to all of these sites and blah blah blah. It's a punt, but it'll buy them some time.

I'm thinking this is the likely outcome, but it doesn't quite add up. Valve sent their own C&D back in July(?) to the individual sites - this letter was sent to them at the end of September, meaning they likely knew about that small attempt.

Impossible, because no one actually gives a shit about the market value. The price is set by the community and it it would still be a gambling chip.

There is some merit to the idea that items could only be traded or sold once though, as a temporary measure. Trade it to anyone (like a bot on a betting site) and that user is stuck with it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Shadow Warrior -- MB-C79C516E307344D8 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 8 entrants total.

t1476379647z1.png

So what did PC owners of Rise of Tomb Raider get for the 20th anniversary? I haven't played it yet but got a decent sized update.

they got everything that was new for the PS4 version...if you have the Season Pass for RotTR you get that stuff for free included with it and if not it's sold by itself

"In the wake of her father’s death, Lara’s uncle challenges her ownership of Croft Manor. Lara must explore her childhood home in the new “Blood Ties” story mode to reclaim her legacy and uncover a family mystery that will change her life forever. In “Lara’s Nightmare” hordes of the undead overrun Croft Manor, and Lara must defend it before the nightmare overwhelms her! “Blood Ties” includes over an hour of additional single player story, as well as community challenges with card modifiers that allow you to compete against your friends’ scores in “Lara’s Nightmare”. This pack also includes five classic Lara Croft skins, an outfit and weapon inspired by Tomb Raider III, and the new “Extreme Survivor” difficulty setting for the main campaign. With over an hour of new story, a replayable combat mode, classic skins, a new outfit and weapon, and a new difficulty mode, this is the perfect way to celebrate 20 years of the iconic Lara Croft."

chronomac

I'm not an average user. I go through my entire queue until it's empty (i.e. I have been through 10,000+ games). Typically when a game comes up I look at the logo. If it's anime or minecraft clone garbage, I click not interested before any other assets enter my field of vision. I then check the tags and if I see "Free-to-Play" and "Multiplayer", I click not interested. Then I scan over to the main carousel. If the video is still showing logos or it's not clear what the game is, I skip to the first screenshot. I rapidly click 2-3 screenshots to figure out, and then make a snap decision to say Not Interested, Next, or Wishlist. If the video is showing me what I want (generally I have sound off), I make a decision based on that.
While I'm not as voracious as Stump, this is exactly how I approach it.

data

Does the Season pass for Saints Row 3 add anything? Steam says I don't have the full package because I have every piece of DLC except for the season pas

madjoki

Does the Season pass for Saints Row 3 add anything? Steam says I don't have the full package because I have every piece of DLC except for the season pas

No. "Season Pass" is placeholder DLC, other DLC includes actual content stuff.

It's one of quirks where Steam don't know how to properly highlight.

Does Punch Club get any better?

It's quite....Dull

It gets repetitive, sure. You have to train very hart.

I liked the tactical aspects of the games in fights. Great sprites too. Very charming game with its references to 80s/90s fighting movies. Put 30 hours in this g fighting game oat.

Keep training. ;)

MUnited83

For you.

Durante

I swear you bring up one flaw of Dark Souls (shitty ass PvP) and everybody swears the online is perfect and it's all my fault.

Now I remember why Steamgaf is best gaf.
Online was one of the most significant improvements in DS2 (and it mostly holds up in 3, though I still don't understand the omission of the small soapstone).

I played the entirety of DS1 in coop and it was really hard at times to connect. In fact, we came up with a complex series of steps (half of it probably voodoo) in order to generally get it working within 5-10 minutes.

im almost to the end of my card idling (thank you based glitch) and have gotten little of 20 bucks so far from what ive sold. save some because id like to complete certain badges

Branson

they got everything that was new for the PS4 version...if you have the Season Pass for RotTR you get that stuff for free included with it and if not it's sold by itself

"In the wake of her father’s death, Lara’s uncle challenges her ownership of Croft Manor. Lara must explore her childhood home in the new “Blood Ties” story mode to reclaim her legacy and uncover a family mystery that will change her life forever. In “Lara’s Nightmare” hordes of the undead overrun Croft Manor, and Lara must defend it before the nightmare overwhelms her! “Blood Ties” includes over an hour of additional single player story, as well as community challenges with card modifiers that allow you to compete against your friends’ scores in “Lara’s Nightmare”. This pack also includes five classic Lara Croft skins, an outfit and weapon inspired by Tomb Raider III, and the new “Extreme Survivor” difficulty setting for the main campaign. With over an hour of new story, a replayable combat mode, classic skins, a new outfit and weapon, and a new difficulty mode, this is the perfect way to celebrate 20 years of the iconic Lara Croft."

Cool thanks. I'll pick up that stuff on the next sale.

God damn you, FromSoftware.

This weekend I finally got around to starting The Witcher 3. It's by all means a great RPG so far - vibrant world, beautiful graphics, good side quests, good voice acting, cool setting (I read most of the books so it's even better when you know the backstory) - and I'm super excited to finally be playing it... BUT, the combat is just pitiful compared to Dark Souls 3. It feels weightless. It feels trivial. The stress of a challenging fight is only present on particularly tough mobs, and even then it's still nothing in comparison to fighting my first Lothric Knight. It goes without saying that it's light years away from being able to replicate the sheer adrenaline rush of fighting a Souls boss.

It's insane how unsatisfying other RPGs' combat systems are, once you've been introduced to the Souls games.

Following up on this previous post, another thing about TW3 that I've found particularly shocking, after being addicted to DS3 for the past ~6 months, is the over-the-top hand-holding minimap. My god, it literally gives you "point A to point B" directions for every quest, and on treasure hunting quests it even highlights the area where the treasure is! Lol. While I think Dark Souls is much too vague (some of those sidequests are obscure to the point of being ridiculous), TW3 is much too detailed. There is definitely a happy medium to be found.

Still an awesome game though.

Buraindo

Following up on this previous post, another thing about TW3 that I've found particularly shocking, after being addicted to DS3 for the past ~6 months, is the over-the-top hand-holding minimap. My god, it literally gives you "point A to point B" directions for every quest, and on treasure hunting quests it even highlights the area where the treasure is! Lol. While I think Dark Souls is much too vague (some of those sidequests are obscure to the point of being ridiculous), TW3 is much too detailed. There is definitely a happy medium to be found.

Still an awesome game though.

You can disable all those things in the UI settings.

Far as Souls online is concerned, I've had the most issues with 1. Once took over 40 minutes to get a mate's sign. 2 and 3've been mostly fine. 3's been especially good for co op, password and all that.

Arulan

Online was one of the most significant improvements in DS2 (and it mostly holds up in 3, though I still don't understand the omission of the small soapstone).

I played the entirety of DS1 in coop and it was really hard at times to connect. In fact, we came up with a complex series of steps (half of it probably voodoo) in order to generally get it working within 5-10 minutes.

You could argue the game (Dark Souls) was designed to be played on occasion with strangers, but that playing the whole game with friends went against the designer's vision. Of course, the later games eventually gave up on this due to demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom