• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
something broke in neogaf after yesterday

two days ago i was able to quick edit a post and save it and have the quick edit "panel" close up like in chroma, now when i click save it just gets stuck there until i refresh

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shadowrun Returns -- MB-BDCBD42EC7851EFB - Taken by texhnolyze
Tap Heroes -- MB-81142BB7BBC316BF - Taken by Fatal Futanari

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for Fatal Futanari:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Fatal Futanari, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Retro City Rampage DX -- MB-590A1FEC3936C264 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.
Retro City Rampage DX soundtrack (http://retrocityrampage.bandcamp.com/yum) -- MB-678A398503A0CD40
xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL 2 -- MB-DC96F501C9B5BD91 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.

t1476406264z1.png

Some keys :D

Anyone have a Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams key from the DIG ARTIFEX Bundle 3 that they don't want? Just thought I'd ask before I buy it just for that one game lol.

In case people weren't aware: The Nuuvem bundle which includes Oniken, Qasir al-Wasat, Chroma Squad, and a bunch of other games has been made available in more regions without the need of a VPN. Just bought from the UK without any problems.

http://www.nuuvem.com/bundle/super-br-bundle

I see that it says Bônus: Super BR Bundle on the bottom. That mean we get double of some games?

smash+grab is not a fun game
I enjoyed the beta. But the game heavily relies on teamwork or else no fun will be had. I wonder if they fixed the distance of the hits that I complained about.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

t1cxE6r.gif
Shadow Warrior Special Edition -- MB-1BEB9F1A0E58DCAF - Taken by Endruen

Some Thumper impressions
Would it be hyperbole to say that Thumper is the most intense, most satisfying, and most draining test of reflexes since Super Hexagon? Much like Terry Cavanagh's infamously challenging arcade game, Thumper is equal parts simplicity and excess, easy-to-understand but challenging-to-master gameplay within a sensory overload of movement, color, and sound. If Super Hexagon was hypnotic in its shifting twisting geometric minimalism, then Thumper is 2001's mesmerizing mind@!%$ given metal life.

pkSGRUv.gif
JppeKQ9.gif

From the first section of its nine levels to its last hellish stage, Thumper hurls you into a kaleidoscopic tempest, your chrome beetle racing along twisting tracks and claustrophobic tunnels as eldritch beings of light and metal twist and unfurl within the void. It's a visual gut punch of an experience, that I can only imagine is enhanced to eye-bleeding levels in VR. But even with headphones and a regular screen, Thumper's intensity is peerless.

Imagine those classic inputs of a Guitar Hero or Rock Band - tap and hold to the beat at the right time - and you can grasp Thumper. Strip away the speed and visual chaos, and Thumper is as easy to understand as those games. Thump down on markers, turn and grind against the turns, hover over spikes and through rings. Even as more elements and nuances are introduced, the game remains a mechanically lean test of focus and reflex.

flying1.png
Thumper_screenshot_4.png

Success in Thumper is draining, exhausting, exhilarating. Like some cyberpunk birdcall, you answer the music's beat with every shockwave of your thumps and spraying sparks of grinds, until you're conditioned to react to each signal and tone with practiced skill. Success requires you to act on the fine line between focus and near-clairvoyant intuition, that zone and flow that the best in the genre let you enter.

Success in Thumper is tactile and physical in ways that few games can tout. You feel every thump, every slam into a turn, every missed beat. Your fingers hurt, you feel your heart thumping in your chest, your vision is locked on the road ahead, you twist and duck in sync with the serpentine track. Thumper is a chemical reaction in game form; every action has a reaction, that flares and explodes and flashes and shatters in response.

I've never been able to get into the music/rhythm genre. Even my favorite - Crypt of the Necrodancer - is enjoyed more for its clever roguelike design than its music game elements. But that's only a testament to Thumper's masterful design and audiovisual hellscape. It's one of those special games that can cross genre lines and even appeal to those who wouldn't normally be interested. Moving to the rhythm has never been this relentless and satisfying.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Continuing my apparent tradition of having f2p games as my most played (judging from our little list the other day), I have another one on the way up there when I noticed ive already wracked up 50 hours in DFO, making each actual game purchase I make more and more pointless.

He says as he buys the endless legend pack

rtcn63

So your inventory system is similar to RE4's, where each item takes up a specific number of blocks of space. And there looks to be room for expansion. (Unless that whole thing is just for weapons. Very glad that it seems you can hotkey them to the d-pad)

I watched about five minutes of Thumper and had to back out. It was just too intense and elevated my heart like it was a horror game. I like taking my own pace in games.

Shadow Warrior 2 has been pretty good so far, I haven't paid enough attention to the game apparently because I had no idea the game had a whole weapon/artifact loot system and a really deep skill and upgrade system for the character and weapons. It runs great on my system and looks quiet nice. The NVIDIA Multi-res rendering system is pretty crazy too, it renders the center of the screen at full res then lowers the res the further it gets to the corners of the screen, it seems like a neat system to boost performance, I'm not using it myself but it's cool to see it implemented into a non VR game.

Anustart

Ordered my new video card. Was going to go with a 1070, but decided on a 1060 instead. Maybe next upgrade I'll go up a tier, but the jump in specs from my 760 to the 1060 is large enough. And I only game on 1080p, so should be sufficient.

Steam Dev Days is over.

Dear lord, what a ride.

3 cons in 2 weeks.

Speaking of cons:

DIDN'T GO TO TWITCH CON? WANT TO SEEM LIKE YOU DID? HERE HAVE AN ALPHA KEY.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

PLANET COASTERS ALPHA -- MB-EC510FA5C6FEE2D7 - Taken by Kurt Russell

jediyoshi

something broke in neogaf after yesterday

two days ago i was able to quick edit a post and save it and have the quick edit "panel" close up like in chroma, now when i click save it just gets stuck there until i refresh

This is destroying me. It was an old bug on GAF and got fixed, now it's back after last maintenance.

Hektor

I don't even know how Doom got approved in a modern AAA environment where publishers are exceedingly risk adverse.
  • Requiring moving on multiple axes while utilizing multiple abilities confuses modern gamers
  • Non-linear environments confuses modern gamers
  • More than two weapons confuses modern gamers
  • Fast paced gameplay confuses modern gamers.

I trash Bethesda constantly for both development and publishing side, but sometimes they can surprise you.

Between doom, wolfenstein, dishonored and the evil within I'd actually say bethesda is one of the better publisher in regards to the lineup they finance.

Bluth54

Tyranny Release Date Reveal Trailer - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293694

November 10th

I can't wait, probably my most anticipated game of the fall.

So Valve has til tomorrow to avoid legal action by the state - I wonder what will come of this.

If I worked at Valve, this part would make me sweat bullets:

via GameRevolution

I'm not sure what Valve is supposed to do, because digital items exist in a different way then physical items Valve is going to have to be involved with trading digital items and trying to completely shut down gambling is going to be a loosing battle since more bots can always be made by these sites once their old ones are shut down.

cyba89

I don't even know how Doom got approved in a modern AAA environment where publishers are exceedingly risk adverse.
  • Requiring moving on multiple axes while utilizing multiple abilities confuses modern gamers

That's a mighty high horse you're sitting on...

'Modern gamers' can deal with complex/challenging games just fine.

I trash Bethesda constantly for both development and publishing side, but sometimes they can surprise you.
On the contrary, the modern Wolfenstein games proved that kind of games can do well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes lets use giantbomb as the benchmark for modern gamer skills

You know, giantbomb full of 35+ers :p

Edit: oh its polygon, same shit different dressing

Yes lets use giantbomb as the benchmark for modern gamer skills

You know, giantbomb full of 35+ers :p

Edit: oh its polygon, same shit different dressing

The average age of a gamer is 30 so those gifs totally prove that the modern gamer is bad at videogames!

As a non-fps gamer, what's wrong with Polygon's gameplay apart the lousy aiming?

You don't want to stand still for long periods of time in the new Doom, but other FPS's encourage that by making your aim more accurate. It also seems like the person playing has little experience with FPS's or relies on the 'lock-on' effect you get from aiming down the sight in other FPS's.

Also, shooting health packs to pick them up...

Kind of want to preorder Tyranny, but my schedule is already packed with games.
why did you change the image tho?
To show scale for reference.
Ordered my new video card. Was going to go with a 1070, but decided on a 1060 instead. Maybe next upgrade I'll go up a tier, but the jump in specs from my 760 to the 1060 is large enough. And I only game on 1080p, so should be sufficient.
I went for GTX1070 for my home PC (also 1080p), I thought it should be more comfortable running games years down the line. Plus free GoW4.

The game is awesome but I'm not sure about your point here.
A lot of today's most popular games are open world.
As for level design and pacing, I don't see how anyone used to the popular MP shooters like Overwatch would have any problems.

Some of these design decisions were already in the Wolfenstein games which were pretty successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom