• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

This really doesn't sit with me well, this has nothing to do with 4! Quell games that are already on steam.
Why devs even do such a thing, it's not so hard to search store and see if a game name is already taken.

Knurek

fg8t3yybqtp6lyl3h3rflkol6z.jpg

Is this new?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It's probably because Source engine games are quite CPU dependent and any sort of video capture tasks the CPU. Likely nothing more sinister than that.

Parsnip

Yes lets use giantbomb as the benchmark for modern gamer skills

You know, giantbomb full of 35+ers :p

Edit: oh its polygon, same shit different dressing
Brad is pretty good at Doom actually.

Shooting health packs was hilarious :) Is there any game that does that?
Other modern FPS's dont really have health packs so i sort of(?) get the confusion upon first seeing one.
But i don't think i have ever come across a game where you had to shoot the health pickups to pick them up.
And i noticed that they almost never move and aim at the same time.
Whoever was playing was probably expecting a context sensitive button prompt that he also expected to be the same button as shoot.

You know what appeared on steam greenlight?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780372339

👀
This looks like summer lessons.

Parsnip

I wonder whether there's price mistake with this Delicious animu mahjong game? Regular old version of the game is 15€, this newly today released one shows 1€ for me, guess game might pay itself by selling cards anyway ;D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/540610/

Had some spare change in wallet, so why not.

wait a second, do you get that DRM with win10, even if you don't use winstore or xbox app?
Game DVR isn't DRM, it's like Nvidia Shadowplay but a bit pants.

And yes, it's on by default since the xbox app comes preinstalled even if you have never launched it.

Kaleinc

Banned
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600
Users experiencing low FPS or FPS loss after upgrading to Windows 10 may resolve the issue by
uninstalling Windows 10.

Also
If you do not have an Xbox account and are not signed into the Xbox App you can disable Xbox DVR by using the Registry Editor.
So they turn it on and without xbone account the only way to turn off this garbage is by jumping through hoops which average joe doesn't do. What a sad piece of shit.

rtcn63

I've only built a few times ("if it ain't broke don't replace it") but it never gets less unnerving. Knowing that any little mistake could fuck things up, and just seeing if the PC actually boots up proper once everything is assembled (I had a motherboard fry once after two weeks).

I'd recommend liquor but only enough to steady your hands.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Congrats! If you're doing a small form factor build, plan the steps in your head beforehand, it should save quite of bit of time.

thanks, it is a pretty small form factor (mini itx, fractal design nano case) so i hope it goes well. i remember working in my old engine bay in my honda and wishing i had more room - hope this goes smoother!

my bud said he's going to send me some a good YT video for this type of build so i can watch and figure it out ahead of time.

I've only built a few times ("if it ain't broke don't replace it") but it never gets less unnerving. Knowing that any little mistake could fuck things up, and just seeing if the PC actually boots up proper once everything is assembled (I had a motherboard fry once after two weeks).

I'd recommend liquor but only enough to steady your hands.

oof. yeah, maybe a glass of whisky wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

it's going to be a long god damned week
It should be alot of fun though. As some who built their first system from scratch this past summer, it will be like building an expensive Lego or mega blocks set. Just please make sure to remove any kind of static charge on you, my friend learned the hard way about a month ago by losing their motherboard :(

Kudo

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600

uninstalling Windows 10.

Also

So they turn it on and without xbone account the only way to turn off this garbage is by jumping through hoops which average joe doesn't do. What a sad piece of shit.

Yeah, its absurd that disabling the DVR completely needs account. Gotta praise Valve for this effort, DVR is useless to me and I'm happy to see it gone now thanks to the registry trick, hated that pop up it always gives you when starting games too.

madjoki

Valve has been updating their Steamworks youtube page this week with Steam dev tutorials. This video shows how to create and publish a store page. You also get to see how they handle pricing, release dates, and more. I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, those are very interesting stuff.

They are about two years old actually, but they just made those public, previously they were linked only from steamworks site (which is available to anyone). There's a lot of stuff there too.

thanks, it is a pretty small form factor (mini itx, fractal design nano case) so i hope it goes well. i remember working in my old engine bay in my honda and wishing i had more room - hope this goes smoother!
I'm using the same case, I pretty much had to plan everything ahead, since the components could get in each other's way. Just look at the size of the CPU cooler!
I took the photo when I first built it in July, made some changes since then. Switched the HDD, upgraded my system SSD and changed all the fans to Noctua fans.

I'm using the same case, I pretty much had to plan everything ahead, since the components could get in each other's way. Just look at the size of the CPU cooler!

I took the photo when I first built it in July, made some changes since then. Switched the HDD, upgraded my system SSD and changed all the fans to Noctua fans.
Wow at those CPU cooler :D

jon bones

It should be alot of fun though. As some who built their first system from scratch this past summer, it will be like building an expensive Lego or mega blocks set. Just please make sure to remove any kind of static charge on you, my friend learned the hard way about a month ago by losing their motherboard :(

that's the second time someone has warned me about this - how do i make sure i don't fuck that up?

OK OK - that's the same CPU cooler i'm getting, though i think my case fans are a different color:

Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan

that's the second time someone has warned me about this - how do i make sure i don't fuck that up?

OK OK - that's the same CPU cooler i'm getting, though i think my case fans are a different color:

Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Mine is actually a NH-D15S, the high compatibility version of NH-D15. Even though D15 could fit into that case, I didn't want to take any chances.

Grief.exe

That's a mighty high horse you're sitting on...

'Modern gamers' can deal with complex/challenging games just fine.

On the contrary, the modern Wolfenstein games proved that kind of games can do well.

More here

Edit: I believe what Grief is saying is that publishers think the majority of modern gamers are confused by complex games.

Something to keep in mind here is I'm referring to how games get approved for funding.
AAA games these days are a massive risk on a deflationary, stagnated environment. They are often focus tested to death and tend to support gameplay that would appeal to the widest group possible. Which means they are going to be streamlined and simplified so the largest audience possible will buy and complete the game.

Doom's inherent design often runs counter to the current approval process for AAA development.

Jawmuncher

Something to keep in mind here is I'm referring to how games get approved for funding.
AAA games these days are a massive risk on a deflationary, stagnated environment. They are often focus tested to death and tend to support gameplay that would appeal to the widest group possible. Which means they are going to be streamlined and simplified so the largest audience possible will buy and complete the game.

Doom's inherent design often runs counter to the current approval process for AAA development.
Nah.

You run around and shoot dudes. You have a waypoint that tells you where to go. You can bypass a large majority of exploring if you really want to.

Doom was an easy AAA game to green light I think. Only thing I would say is a bit odd is the lack of cutscenes and story. Since it doesn't play heavily into that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
dragon monk pokemon is mine

also

1476450896854.gif

um.. what?

Have you played Wonderful 101?
Huh? Since when is W101 simpler than DMC or Bayonetta? I would say it's the opposite.

simple in a sense that you can do a lot of shit with just two buttons (three if you want to count dodging/blocking) and a right stick, not saying about the difficulty about the game, but I'm talking about handling the mechanics

for DMC and Bayo they are more spread out and usually limited to specific weapons equipped at you, though you got the universal skills

I love all of those games mind you, but I've seen people giving up on W101 so easily

r3n4ud

What is the background supposed to be? At first, I thought it was sexual, then I thought it was something about space, like a blackhole, and now I think it is some kind of chocolate-flavoured pastry which is being malaxed to prepare a cake.
Looks like the inside of an anus.

jon bones

Mine is actually a NH-D15S, the high compatibility version of NH-D15. Even though D15 could fit into that case, I didn't want to take any chances.

ah, so i might have a little more clearance. good to know.

do you still remember your plan of attack during your build?

Knurek

Dell's Premium Panel warranty is something else...
Single bloody stuck pixel on my monitor, just sent an email with photo of the problem and they sent a new one, no questions asked.

Gonner got a very positive review from RPS
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/14/gonner-review/
GoNNER is this year’s Downwell – a neat, short-form action game that has found the perfect visual style to communicate its near-misses and big hits...
GoNNER always feels good. It has something in common with both Bayonetta and Downwell in its encouragement of style rather than simply success. You can work your way through the procedurally generated levels of its four worlds – all of which have their unique challenges, enemies, structure and features – avoiding conflict. You won’t get a high score that way, since racking up and maintaining a big kill combo is the route to the top of the leaderboard, but who cares? GoNNER doesn’t care. It’ll still throw fun layouts in your path and chests containing unlockables for your next run.
GoNNER5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom