• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooting health packs was hilarious :) Is there any game that does that?

Other modern FPS's dont really have health packs so i sort of(?) get the confusion upon first seeing one.
But i don't think i have ever come across a game where you had to shoot the health pickups to pick them up.
And i noticed that they almost never move and aim at the same time.

Edit: Thanks Ningen, light gun games!

Tellaerin

Yes lets use giantbomb as the benchmark for modern gamer skills

You know, giantbomb full of 35+ers :p

Edit: oh its polygon, same shit different dressing

Pft, like 35 is decrepit. That's not an issue of age, that's just people who are (arguably) more talented at writing than they are at playing the games they're writing about. :p

Bought Shadow Warrior 2 just for the hdr, excited to see what it finally looks like lol.

Is it a fully featured implementation that implies the console only updates should be a thing of the past soon?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bought Shadow Warrior 2 just for the hdr, excited to see what it finally looks like lol.

Is it a fully featured implementation that implies the console only updates should be a thing of the past soon?

Yes.

Edit: AMD's Polaris GPUs also support HDR, I believe.

So Sunless Sea is indeed a special game. I played about four hours straight yesterday.

First of all, i was pretty confused by the controls, expected it to be controlled with a mouse. lol

The atmosphere is pretty great. It would be very nice if you could zoom a bit into that happening. Feels a bit like a browser game with its rigid view. The artstyle and soundtrack fits perfect.

I cant say too much about the writing, as i absolutely failed and let three captains die a painful death. Out of supplies, out of fuel, crushed by pirates etc. But i liked the small events and they seem to be very promising.

About the speed of the game, i think its done right, but thats on a four hours impression so maybe i come back to this statement later.

I really like this game, reminds me of NEO scavenger, in polished.

gelf

Between doom, wolfenstein, dishonored and the evil within I'd actually say bethesda is one of the better publisher in regards to the lineup they finance.
Yeah outside of thier big dull open world RPGs I've been impressed with the company. Loved Dishonored and Evil Within and I can appreciate what they did with thier FPS games even though I won't get Doom myself because my skills in the genre are barely above the polygon gif.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Invisible Mind -- MB-5FFDCBDF00B51662 - Taken by Vuze
Kick-Ass 2 -- MB-52E7A375B7FF6C8C - Taken by Anteater

Yeah outside of thier big dull open world RPGs I've been impressed with the company. Loved Dishonored and Evil Within and I can appreciate what they did with thier FPS games even though I won't get Doom myself because my skills in the genre are barely above the polygon gif.

As long as the shit they sell as Elder Scrolls and Fallout these days finances the better stuff I won't complain. I do wish they would also finance a more proper Fallout and Elder Scrolls game (maybe a side franchise a-la New Vegas) from time to time, but you can't have it all I suppose.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's a mighty high horse you're sitting on...

'Modern gamers' can deal with complex/challenging games just fine.

it's not really a generalization when even Gabe even stated it back in the tutorials of HL

I mean, yeah there will be people who'd still get complex games, but they're not the bigger numbers anymore

I mean fuck, you still have people dying in Wonderful 101, a simpler game compared to DMC or Bayonetta

Jadax

As long as the shit they sell as Elder Scrolls and Fallout these days finances the better stuff I won't complain. I do wish they would also finance a more proper Fallout and Elder Scrolls game (maybe a side franchise a-la New Vegas) from time to time, but you can't have it all I suppose.

Holy shit, what's with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout hate? I mean I get it, FO4 wasn't as ground-breaking as people were hoping, but I had a ton of fun playing Skyrim (one of my most played games), and definitely enjoyed FO4.

Vuze

woot, I guess it's the first fully-fledged PC game to support HDR then after that one puzzle game dropped the ball.
Would love to try it but 30 bucks is too much for a game I won't enjoy (didn't like SW1).

Holy shit, what's with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout hate? I mean I get it, FO4 wasn't as ground-breaking as people were hoping, but I had a ton of fun playing Skyrim (one of my most played games), and definitely enjoyed FO4.

While i enjoyed FO3 and Oblivion, i can understand that these games can be very boring for some people. I think the combats are the most negatives I´ve heard related to them. On that point i can agree, the melee is just bad. Mount & Blade does it right for example, a low budget game from 2008. It seems ridiculous and i can understand when this for example is a downer for someone.

While i enjoyed FO3 and Oblivion, i can understand that these games can be very boring for some people. I think the combats are the most negatives I´ve heard related to them. On that point i can agree, the melee is just bad. Mount & Blade does it right for example, a low budget game from 2008. It seems ridiculous and i can understand when this for example is a downer for someone.

Combat is actually bearable. Its not as bad as say witcher for example. The problem is that these games take these incredible settings and relegate them to incredibly shallow experiences filled with uninspiring characters poor narrative and the most unimaginative quests.. and this is what insults people who loved morrowind and fallout. The games may look and deel big at first but once you scratch the surface you find theres nothing underneath the expanse they offer. Once you played a couple hours of each youve played it all.

Combat is actually bearable. Its not as bad as say witcher for example. The problem is that these games take these incredible settings and relegate them to incredibly shallow experiences filled with uninspiring characters poor narrative and the most unimaginative quests.. and this is what insults people who loved morrowind and fallout. The games may look and deel big at first but once you scratch the surface you find theres nothing underneath the expanse they offer. Once you played a couple hours of each youve played it all.

Yes, i can agree with this, thats one reason why i dont touch those big wrpg anymore. They lack in so many ways when you compare them to other games of the same genre and their well done mechanics and designs.

Tizoc

Ah so GAF was having database/connection issues.

At any rate I'ma start some DoDonPachi-ing soon <3
2umEK2u.png

Does the Xenoverse games follow the story, or are they just "spin off" games?

Far as I understand it it is it's own plot.

The game is awesome but I'm not sure about your point here.
A lot of today's most popular games are open world.
Not for the better this is made even worse when you have an arrow or compass that the player would be so fixated on they can miss some stuff in the environment.
Some of these design decisions were already in the Wolfenstein games which were pretty successful.

Wolfenstein TNO was linear though you really couldn't get lost.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Not every game has to be deep, fast paced, non linear etc.

It's not the worst thing in the world to make a game for a larger demographic. Plenty of people are content with Skyrim and showing them Morrowinds "great depth" isn't going to change their mind or make them less content with Skyrim.

gngf123

So DDP Resurrection is out. With that and Blue Revolver, it's a pretty amazing week for shooting games on Steam.

I can feel a big weekend of STG's coming. Hoping I can get my first 1cc of Hyper Mode.

redlacs

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Love in the Glen -- MB-25B6D3772B729961 - Taken by bigzgod. 1 entrants total.
Hektor -- MB-55831C413A817ADF - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Hexoscope -- MB-955F739F77A26C00 - Taken by Ucchedav&#257;da. 2 entrants total.

t1476446356z1.png

Hektor is from new alienware promotion (lvl4+)

Nzyme32

Seems Valve games now have a warning about Xbox Game DVR being active and guidance for how to turn it off for better performance / stability.

Accoun

I don't even know how Doom got approved in a modern AAA environment where publishers are exceedingly risk adverse.
  • Requiring moving on multiple axes while utilizing multiple abilities confuses modern gamers
  • Non-linear environments confuses modern gamers
  • More than two weapons confuses modern gamers
  • Fast paced gameplay confuses modern gamers.

I trash Bethesda constantly for both development and publishing side, but sometimes they can surprise you.

Considering the development hell it's apparently been in, I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda agreed because it had better chances of actually getting finished than the Call Of DOOty it was supposed to be before. :p

Jawmuncher

Huh? Since when is W101 simpler than DMC or Bayonetta? I would say it's the opposite.

The biggest issue with W101 is they lock simple gameplay concepts like blocking. Which are absolutely required for that game.

Action game dens need to chill with putting moves as unlocks. Would be like MGR needing you to unlock parrying

Tizoc

So I'm playing DoDonPachi and did the aircraft carrier that was firing 1000s of homing pink bullets at me just transform into a schoolgirl mecha musume?

Not for the better this is made even worse when you have an arrow or compass that the player would be so fixated on they can miss some stuff in the environment.

Wolfenstein TNO was linear though you really couldn't get lost.

Doom also tells you the direction and distance to your next objective, it's always at the top of the screen.
And it's not like the levels are like hardcore dungeon crawlers or something.
I was talking more about the core gameplay in regards to Wolf, not the level design.

Sucker Punch did an incredible job with Infamous on PS4, impressive visuals for an open world on console.

Ozium

Old games were proper mahjong.
This is just shanghai.

You're thinking of Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle and Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle : School Girls Edition, but there is also Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire in addition to the newly released Delicious! Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire which is an upgraded version of Zoo's top selling Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire with 8 new girls and a candy flavored theme.

You're thinking of Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle and Mahjong Pretty Girls Battle : School Girls Edition, but there is also Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire in addition to the newly released Delicious! Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire which is an upgraded version of Zoo's top selling Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire with 8 new girls and a candy flavored theme.

YLVHUHk.gif

rtcn63

Doom teaches you how to play it early on. Otherwise, you wouldn't make it past the first level on standard difficulty.

And you'd actually move much less if it weren't for the imps. The big scary enemies later on just require a bit of strafing and big guns.

Also, there are modern games that require you be mobile during combat, i.e. Bioshock (Infinite in particular has you jumping and running around like a madman). Although I do generally play on the "veteran" difficulties and with aim assist off (or low if there's no other choice). I haven't touched a Call of Duty in years so I'm not sure how those fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom