• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Afaik there is nothing you can do now, because MS doesnt support HDR yet. They will update W10 to support it at the end of the year or next year if I heard it correctly.

On the other hand I can tell you that HDR/10bit isnt as big as SonyGAF (and MS GAF) makes it out to be. You have more vibrant colors, but if you configure your PC right, you can have a similar effect with 8bit media.

I think why SonyGAF right now think its important is, because PS4 support it now, so it must be the best thing ever.

HDR is objectively better than sRGB/Rec.709 so I'm looking forward to when it becomes standard in every display for an affordable price, but I don't think it's something to get completely crazy over.

HDR is objectively better than sRGB/Rec.709 so I'm looking forward to when it becomes standard in every display for an affordable price, but I don't think it's something to get completely crazy over.

I didnt say its cool, but having experienced it on my HDR TV I wouldnt say its "The next best thing ever" that SonyGAF tries to hype it up to, just because "their" console now supports it.

I mean 4k was useless to "them" before the PS4Pro announcement...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hey SteamGAF.

I was looking at the Steam front page for the first time in a while, and I saw in the Popular New Releases that there's a new DoDonPachi game out. I thought that was awesome, since I liked that game a lot back in my more... shall we say emulation-focused days. Then I clicked on it and, uh...

Is there somebody who can tell me why all the screenshots have anime girls in them now? I just... don't remember that game for anything like that. Did I miss something?

This hasn't turned into one of those games where I like get a high score and get "rewarded" with some ridiculous character art, is it?

Hey SteamGAF.

I was looking at the Steam front page for the first time in a while, and I saw in the Popular New Releases that there's a new DoDonPachi game out. I thought that was awesome, since I liked that game a lot back in my more... shall we say emulation-focused days. Then I clicked on it and, uh...

Is there somebody who can tell me why all the screenshots have anime girls in them now? I just... don't remember that game for anything like that. Did I miss something?

This hasn't turned into one of those games where I like get a high score and get "rewarded" with some ridiculous character art, is it?

Each Dodonpachi after the first one added progressively more anime characters, yes. In this one, at the end of each level you fight a giant robot girl who transforms into a fighter ship.

It really doesn't matter for this one, though. Don't look up how much further they took it with Dodonpachi Saidaioujou.

Tizoc

Hey SteamGAF.

Dunno about rewards but far as I know Cave's games have always had those anime girls in them since the 360 era.
FYI the game you're seeing is DoDonPachi Resurrection which is the 5th game in the DonPachi series, the one you're talking about is
DonPachiSaturn01.png

FYI this game comes with an Easy mode so it plays closer to traditional shumps with the Normal and higher difficulties being a bullet hell.

Nzyme32

Ha screw you Croteam! I outsmarted the game and managed to grab a puzzle piece without doing the puzzle.. but then got stuck in a room. Hurray!

While I am curious, I don't care enough about my account to check. I uninstalled Origin after buying The Saboteur on GOG.

I'm curious about whether it's a glitch or some kind of forced delisting, but given that I've never bought a game on Origin (and don't plan on starting) it thankfully doesn't apply to me.

Given that EA can do something like this, it's one more reason for me to stay away from Origin.

Deadbeat

Banned
Games i have bought (with money not the infamous coupon):

Syndicate- 5 dollars iirc
Bf3 - 23
Bf4 - 5

So I would be out 33 bucks at worst. I wonder where that stacks with you people, but i figure im within the same ballpark.

I'm curious about whether it's a glitch or some kind of forced delisting, but given that I've never bought a game on Origin (and don't plan on starting) it thankfully doesn't apply to me.

Given that EA can do something like this, it's one more reason for me to stay away from Origin.

Considering the games disappearing are different for people I would think its a glitch.

Adnor

Banned
Played a little Flight Simulator with my father.

We managed to take off! After a few minutes of pressing random buttons! And we didn't land!

Just like old times!

MUnited83

For you.
Games i have bought (with money not the infamous coupon):

Syndicate- 5 dollars iirc
Bf3 - 23
Bf4 - 5

So I would be out 33 bucks at worst. I wonder where that stacks with you people, but i figure im within the same ballpark.

Mine is like a bunch of Humble Bundle games, Syndicate+Saboteur combo for 5$ when it was on a Amazon deal and Battlefield 3 for 5$

venomenon

Stay Close now released for $5.93 USD (35% launch discount)!!

This is a game I've been HIGHLY anticipating, going to make a thread right now, but it's basically a horror rogue-like game which has a story to it and two-player online co-op which has you as a husband & wife pair who have to escape from your house through a small town where nightmares are becoming real. Also has single-player, the single-player and co-op modes have differences to optimize single-player/co-op play.
It's probably not quite what people expected in terms of content. I beat it in co-op and it's a rather short and linear experience with a very limited variety in hazards. Also, I don't really see any rogue-like elements.

I haven't followed the game for very long but apparently it has been delayed multiple times? Tbh, it could've used much more work or should've been released in Early Access.

Backlogger

Just checked my Origin account. Not missing any games.

Edit: I feel like this is a ruse to get people to log into their Origin accounts.

Spare key from the Nuuvem Bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for PandaPedinte:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PandaPedinte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dreaming Sarah -- MB-221E29668BF8AF74 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.

t1476492339z1.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Origin acct seems fine. Never purchased anything, just using that godlike coupon and on the house stuff.
Still rocking this avatar

Battlefield 1942™
Battlefield 2142™ Deluxe Edition
Battlefield 2™: Complete Collection
Battlefield 3™
Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2
Bejeweled® 3
Bulletstorm™
Burnout™ Paradise The Ultimate Box
Command & Conquer Red Alert™ 2 and Yuri’s Revenge™
Command & Conquer™ 4 Tiberian Twilight
Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 3
Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 3: Uprising
Crusader: No Remorse™
Crysis Warhead®
Crysis®
Crysis® 2 Maximum Edition
DARKSPORE™
Dead Space™
Dead Space™ 2
Dead Space™ 3
Dragon Age™ II
Dragon Age™: Origins
Dragon Age™: Origins
Dungeon Keeper™
FIFA Soccer 12
Jade Empire™: Special Edition
Medal of Honor™
Medal of Honor™ Pacific Assault
Mirror's Edge™
Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed™ Most Wanted
Nox™
Peggle®
Plants vs. Zombies™ Game of the Year Edition
Populous™
SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED™
SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED™ PC DLC Pack
SimCity 2000™ Special Edition
SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition
SPORE™
Syndicate™ (1993)
The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection
The Sims™ 3
Theme Hospital™
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters
Ultima™ 8 Gold Edition
Zuma's Revenge™

Pretty sure that's everything.

Snug. I plan to move to a smaller case at some point as well, but I'd have to get a smaller mobo first. And at that point getting a smaller mobo that would fit all my other components right now would just be a little wasteful, buying old tech and all. So I'd rather buy something new, but then I'd have to upgrade bunch of other stuff too.

Budget budget budget.
Well, Kaby Lake is coming out soon, there will be discounts for Skylake CPUs and 1151 MB (even though Kaby Lake would be another small jump and Skylake MBs are compatible with Kaby Lake).
ah, so i might have a little more clearance. good to know.

do you still remember your plan of attack during your build?
Sorry for the late response, I hit he bed early.

Fans, MB (put the RAM and cooler backplate in first) and PSU go in the case. Then you start all the wiring, SATA cables, 24 pin and 8 pin power cables for the MB, power cables for your drives, fan cables, the I/O (USB, audio jacks) and control (power, reset, and LED lights) for your front panel. Connect CPU fan to MB before you lower the heatsink, I suggest using screwdriver to help put the fan(s) on, it's guaranteed you won't be able to reach the fan clip with your fingers once the heatsink is seated. GPU goes last, your drives whenever.

Mafia 3 would have had a metascore 20 points higher than where it landed if they had cut out about 10 hours of repetition (in the 30 hour game). The actual story missions are quite fun to play and it's a shame they locked them behind so much bullshit padding.

Mafia 3 would have had a metascore 20 points higher than where it landed if they had cut out about 10 hours of repetition (in the 30 hour game). The actual story missions are quite fun to play and it's a shame they locked them behind so much bullshit padding.
But Dragon Age: Inquisition scored 85!

zkylon

zkylewd
i'd argue the same thing for every open world game in recent memory

witcha 3 was a much better game when i wasn't doing any of the open world stuff

i'd argue the same thing for every open world game in recent memory

witcha 3 was a much better game when i wasn't doing any of the open world stuff

Yeah, but Mafia 3 is WAY worse. They force you to do the exact same kind of thing over and over again before you can unlock the next story mission. The Witcher 3 never forced people to do side quests for example.

Adnor

Banned
Mafia 3 has one of the best gunplays I've seen in a open world game. Lincoln reacts fast to your inputs (worst part of GTA IV was how slow Niko reacted to inputs because of animation priority, dunno how it's on GTA V) and enemies react to where you shot them.

I really liked the game, but it needed a few months of polish and better sidequest design, because the main story missions are great.

Mafia 3 has one of the best gunplays I've seen in a open world game. Lincoln reacts fast to your inputs (worst part of GTA IV was how slow Niko reacted to inputs because of animation priority, dunno how it's on GTA V) and enemies react to where you shot them.

I really liked the game, but it needed a few months of polish and better sidequest design, because the main story missions are great.

Yeah, the gunplay, story, characters (even minor side characters get good moments) and game world deserve better missions and fewer glitches/performances issues.

Adnor

Banned
Yeah, the gunplay, story, characters (even minor side characters get good moments) and game world deserve better missions and fewer glitches/performances issues.

Even the usual "annoying best friend" character is great. Seriously Donovan is the best new character I've seen this year.

Ending spoilers:
That scene during the credits where he kills that senator because he think he has to do with Kennedy's assassination is fantastic and they should do an expansion about his hunt against the other conspirators

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, but Mafia 3 is WAY worse. They force you to do the exact same kind of thing over and over again before you can unlock the next story mission. The Witcher 3 never forced people to do side quests for example.
i feel like "but u can skip it!" is not really a point for any game tho

while i wouldn't say fallout new vegas is completely devoid of filler, the ratio seems more like 80% real content - 20% filler

witcha 3 felt like the opposite

I had totally forgotten that MegaSphere was on Early Access

For some reason, that game kinda looks trippy to me?

But like when I was child and I was playing the old Sega Genesis platformers or whatever I kinda wondered like what those developers were on to get the idea that they got across.

Your idea of trippy maybe different then mine

while i wouldn't say fallout new vegas is completely devoid of filler, the ratio seems more like 80% real content - 20% filler

witcha 3 felt like the opposite

The thing is that in Mafia 3's case you can't skip it. I used TW3 as a comparison because if you felt that it had too much filler you could always skip it and there would be enough story content to keep you satisfied anyway (I felt that most of the open world stuff was miles better than the usual fluff, but I can see why others could have a different opinion) In Mafia 3 you HAVE to do all the boring and repetitive stuff because the story missions are locked behind that.

This is finding fault for the sake of it. Some people will play the side missions to get more immersed in the world. Some people might enjoy monster hunting, because that's what witchers do. Some might like treasure hunting to find rare weapons and armor. If you like none of this stuff then you can easily ignore it without harming the experience of the main story. It's kind of silly to complain about the existence of entirely optional content.

Momentary

Banned
Dunno about rewards but far as I know Cave's games have always had those anime girls in them since the 360 era.
FYI the game you're seeing is DoDonPachi Resurrection which is the 5th game in the DonPachi series, the one you're talking about is
DonPachiSaturn01.png

FYI this game comes with an Easy mode so it plays closer to traditional shumps with the Normal and higher difficulties being a bullet hell.

I hope they bring all the Pachi games out to STEAM. Even the weird Capcom/IGS one. DoDonPachi II.

zkylon

zkylewd
The thing is that in Mafia 3's case you can't skip it. I used TW3 as a comparison because if you felt that it had too much filler you could always skip it and there would be enough story content to keep you satisfied anyway (I felt that most of the open world stuff was miles better than the usual fluff, but I can see why others could have a different opinion) In Mafia 3 you HAVE to do all the boring and repetitive stuff because the story missions are locked behind that.
yeah that does sound shitty

This is finding fault for the sake of it. Some people will play the side missions to get more immersed in the world. Some people might enjoy monster hunting, because that's what witchers do. Some might like treasure hunting to find rare weapons and armor. If you like none of this stuff then you can easily ignore it without harming the experience of the main story. It's kind of silly to complain about the existence of entirely optional content.
i mean, idk, having a billion question marks that could either be a chest full of trash or a super awesome hidden side quest is pretty sucky since you can't tell which one it is until you've walked to that question mark

i just don't think that's respecting my limited time, i much prefered witcha 2 that was a lot more focused

with witcha 3 i skipped a bunch of the side content and i did feel my experience was harmed, i felt like there were a bunch of cool missions i missed and i felt my ocd super triggered because there's a billion unchecked question marks on the map

it's lame, filler content is lame, i don't see how filler content can be defended no matter how skippable it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom