• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Isn't coil whine usually tied to very high framerates, like when games hit 200-1000 fps on a blank loading screen? Lego games run ridiculously well so vsync off was probably getting you into that fps range.

2500 fps, yes.
But I regularly play beatmania IIDX sims, which run at 1200 fps with no coil whine. :)

MaxiLive

Here's some garbage :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Kick-Ass 2 -- MB-E045038906FE355F - Taken by dave is ok
Boxeswithguns -- MB-789A6CEAD17001E3

Having played 6 hours of Shadow Wang 2, i gotta say i'm a tad disappointed.

The level design with the big open areas just feels less focused and designed than it did in Shadow Wang 1 due to that it's harder to find secrets or even just the way to your next objective sometimes, and i also feel less inclined to explore.

I kinda feel the same about this. I explore around a bit, but then end up just following the arrows to the objctives, as the levels tend to be mostly unfocused large open areas. Also, them having procedural generated elements feels unnecessary. You're probably not going to explore them all as it is, and having bits that change in a way or another (I'm actually not entirely just how they differ each time, haven't replayed any of them) just makes it feel even less enticing. It makes me say, I could go explore the rest of this area, but it having randomized elements means that I could be finding something useful but I could also most likely not, so whatever.

That said I'm still having fun with it.

someone actually released a game called pen island

http://store.steampowered.com/app/535010
e9198ae59f7bca3112064c3626aeb1ed66db2c65f521dfcfaf190d49d68cd200.jpg

Can't be the only one who immediately thought of this.

Wok

There is now a f2p version (or "demo") of this game.

Finally. Selling a puzzle game at that pricepoint without a demo was dumb.

If I remember correctly, the multiplayer version used to be sold for 12 €, and the solo version was only sold bundled with the multiplayer version for 22 €. So they decided to make a constrained multiplayer version for free, and stop selling the multiplayer version.

I wish more games had demos. For instance, Beglitched would benefit from a demo.

AHA-Lambda

Yay, I beat Thumper :D

Oh god, I'm last in the leaderboard for a bunch of levels D:

I do admit I suck at it, game is stupid hard

Regardless, with Thumper complete I have now done 52 games this year! :D

Coreda

Never heard of this until now. Thanks. Looks like a game I'd like. Wishlisted.

The dialog between the ship AI and pilot gives it a certain charm and personal touch. Wish more space games were like that, rather than just strictly notification style voices. Reminds me a bit of a C3PO.

Here I am at low health trying to target an unfriendly ship that can't be marked or locked onto due to the ship damage and with a barely functioning gatling gun that's overheated and it still manages to inject a little humor into it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/czafgi.webm

xezuru

Slightly unrelated, but I still find it insane that despite all the bullshit you have to go through, Planetside 2 has had the hands down greatest aerial combat I've ever played, at low-level flying in the sky and trace/leading an enemy and actually realizing you have to speed match even when doing a full vertical loop to stay in efficient shooting range. The fact that when you're in trouble it's ACTUALLY like people's Star Wars dreams where if you're skilled enough, it is better to lose visual by flying low into canyons and outmaneuvering through pillars and cliffs all while the risk or getting shot by ground troops. At maximum high level the boost and physics let you do insane maneuvers like boost drift and literally fly backwards while shooting a guy and do crazy physics turns to dodge lock on missiles. It's such a shame it's locked behind such a janky game, and I wish I could feel that amount of almost Platinum speed/mastery in a aerial combat game.

Interested in seeing more of this game regardless.

Nzyme32

Approaching the end of Talos principle after months of slowly playing through the game and thoroughly reading and exploring everything myself.

Such a damn good game. Very happy to have road to ghenna to do afterwards.

illusionary

I just got (or at least, just noticed in my inventory) my first ever booster pack. I was beginning to think that i'd never see one - though somewhat uninspiring, it's for Tick Tock Isle. Still, that'a another few pence worth of cards, at least!

Coreda

*Planetside 2 thoughts*

I should check out some videos of it. The real problem with the circumstance above is I'm far to close to the enemies I'm trying to shoot, and have no mark on them so they're zipping around me with full shields and power while I'm taking damage. Being there was a stupid idea to begin with, needed to get away first and back to full health.

Another thing I've noticed is there are these 'drones' that zap you of your gun/boost power. Didn't realize what they did until like my 10th respawn. In combination with the fighters it's pretty hopeless unless you have enough secondary missiles handy.

The comment about hiding in canyons and such in Planetside is interesting, since I've actually tried that in Everspace while creeping up on distant enemy fighters (and also when flying away). They display an exclamation mark even when I'm out of visual, though to be fair it's sensor/radar based for me as well so they're auto marked.

Wok

For Europeans, and mostly for French people I guess, there are some cool talks planned for IndieCade Europe in Paris next month.

Check the agenda here: http://europe.indiecade.com/?page_id=832&lang=en

Keynotes: Matt Nava, Rami Ismail, Luke Crane, Michel Ancel, Zoe Quinn.

Live plays of their games by devs Matt Nava, dev of Niche game, and dev of Santa Ragione (1st day). Live play of Future Unfolding and Psychonauts VR (2nd day). Future Unfolding is one of the games that I am most curious about for next year.

As an indie enthusiast and as a long-time gamer, I think I will attend the conference in English, although there are cool stuff going on in another amphitheatre in French, and workshops for devs.

Nzyme32

Finished the Talos Principle. Loved it.

There a few endings, one of which I was shooting for, but I enjoyed the game so much I spent a lot of time collecting almost everything, so ended up with a few ways to go. The first ending I got was what I aimed to do but didn't utilise all the things I had. Turns out that other ending was kind of to be expected but the opposite of what I wanted to do. Still, I good ending regardless, but glad my mistake lead me to what I wanted - which was also a much more fun way to end!

Now on to Road to Gehenna!

This reminds me of that Tony Hawk clone that had bikes and topless polygons
BMX XXX? Iirc the athlete who was on board left the project and sued Acclaim (?) over it as they wanted to keep his name and add boobs.

Also it is nearly the end of October, Sega what treats you got for us?

Or are they all tricks? :(

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who has played Stardew Valley since the update, (minor spoilers I guess)
how does marriage affect your partner? Do all the candidates have essentially the same behavior?
Apparently that was the case before the update...

Still not sold on the art direction (or the price) but I pre-ordered Civ VI and snagged all of the Endless Legend DLC that I didn't have because it was 75% off along with the new expansion. So if I don't ultimately enjoy Civ VI, I've got the consolation prize of a shitton of new content to play through in Endless Legend. First things I've bought on Steam in over a year.

BMX XXX? Iirc the athlete who was on board left the project and sued Acclaim (?) over it as they wanted to keep his name and add boobs.

Also it is nearly the end of October, Sega what treats you got for us?

Or are they all tricks? :(

Matt Hoffman.

Parsnip

I started playing Adventures of Pip and I want to like it more than I do.
It doesn't feel great to play, something's really off with the way it controls and moves.
Someone on steam forums said that even though the game runs at 60, the animations run at 40 which sounds nuts but eh. Something's definitely not right, and it even misses inputs occasionally.

It also has terrible checkpoints.

Other than that the core mechanic is solid and it looks and sounds nice.

AHA-Lambda

New episode of Batman
Final episode of Hitman
Final episode of King's Quest
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Owlboy

Why did all this stuff have to come out the one week I decide to go on holiday? >_<

Aaron D.

Approaching the end of Talos principle after months of slowly playing through the game and thoroughly reading and exploring everything myself.

Such a damn good game. Very happy to have road to ghenna to do afterwards.

Yeah, I really loved TTP.

I remember it released in mid-Dec. 2014, well after I'd completed my GOTY Top 10 write-up.

I enjoyed it so much that I went back and edited it into the Top 10...#3 if memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom