• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Yeah, but Mafia 3 is WAY worse. They force you to do the exact same kind of thing over and over again before you can unlock the next story mission. The Witcher 3 never forced people to do side quests for example.
Oh boy, that reminds me of Just Cause 3. I hope atleast the world in mafia 3 isn't as bland as in that game.

with witcha 3 i skipped a bunch of the side content and i did feel my experience was harmed, i felt like there were a bunch of cool missions i missed and i felt my ocd super triggered because there's a billion unchecked question marks on the map

So... you feel your "witcha 3" experience was harmed because you chose to skip optional content because you feel there was too much optional content and you feel super triggered by all those question marks which, again, were optional and you could have disabled entirely in the options?

Fair enough. It's difficult to make a cogent argument against dem feels.

Oh boy, that reminds me of Just Cause 3. I hope atleast the world in mafia 3 isn't as bland as in that game.

The actual game world in Mafia 3 is one of the highlights of the game. You can tell that a stupendous amount of effort went into crafting New Bordeaux because there's a ton of detail and variety on the map. Driving around the city at the right time of day with the right music playing on the radio is an extremely enjoyable experience. The city also has lots of buildings you can enter which is rare for open world games. The sad thing is that none of the map ever gets used for anything other than your missions and some random gun fights that can break out. Now, the open world not being used much outside the story is a hallmark of the Mafia series, but with the amount of effort they put into crafting the world one can't help but think that they had much more ambition and grand plans for the game than what finally shipped. This game desperately needed more time in development.

Monooboe

So I got that Delicious! Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire, seemed like a good cheap puzzle game, thought I would quickly take all the achivements and such. On my first try I played 5 hours straight! How the hell!? Someone should have warned me!XD

zkylon

zkylewd
So... you feel your "witcha 3" experience was harmed because you chose to skip optional content because you feel there was too much optional content and you feel super triggered by all those question marks which, again, were optional and you could have disabled entirely in the options?

Fair enough. It's difficult to make a cogent argument against dem feels.
i feel u skipped the part i said you can't tell apart good side quest/hidden dungeon question marks from trash bad filler question marks :>

witcha 3 would be a cooler game if it didn't have so much filler trash in it, optional or not

it's the arkham city vs arkham asylum thing, yeah all that trash was optional, but it was still there, and it made the game feel unfocused and tedious because like, it's right fucking there, that stupid camera that takes almost no effort to destroy and u still feel really empty when u destroy it cos u know, you didn't actually do anything besides act on command like an open world puppet you are

meanwhile arkham asylum is awesome cos what's there is there to be awesome and nothing more, there's no padding or anything like that, there's a set number of puzzles and secrets and you know, it engages with ur braincells a little bit and shit. yeah that last joker boss fight was the worst shit ever but nothing is perfect, not even arkham asylum and arkham asylum is pretty darned good

witcha 3 is the same thing, i totally hold it against a game if most of their content is bad, even if it's optional. yeah the main content in witcha 3 is pretty good, specially that bloody baron stuff, but the filler is still part of the game and i can't ignore it, specially when a game like new vegas manages to do open world without it being 80% filler

C4rter

Free Shadow Warrior 2 DLC's if you open Win + R and punch in these individually
steam://install/508970
steam://install/522332
steam://install/522330

Doesn't work for me. Can't install any of them.

Edit: Somehow it did work regardless of the install error. The DLCs show up in the SW2 DLCs

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't work for me. Can't install any of them.

Edit: Somehow it did work regardless of the install error. The DLCs show up in the SW2 DLCs

Yeah, you get a useless install window simply because DLC doesn't install the traditional way and Steam treats all install links identically.

Stall19

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is truly a great podcast listening to game. Just listening to the Bombcast and trying to 3 star some dashes is a pretty good time.

Pakkidis

Hands of Fate is a daily sale

Is it a good game? I got kinda burned on Age of Decadence.

My steam review:

Rating 7.5/10
Overview: Rogue, Card builder with Real-time combat

The Good:

+ When different genres are mixed together the results can be very unpredictable, yet when they work you get a pleasant surprise. Hands of fate thankfully does a successful job of mixing rogue with building a card deck with real-time combat. The game is pretty simple in its execution, you build a deck with equipment and 'encounter' cards, the dealer then mixes in his own cards (usually bad ones). The deck is then shuffled and the cards are placed faced down on the table. Most cards have a game of chance involved, the higher the reward the higher the risk. By completing cards, you then unlock new cards that can be used in subsequent play-through’s, usually resulting in greater rewards.

+ Unlocking new cards and equipment is very satisfying

+ You also have to manage 3 types of resources, health, food and gold. Every time you select a card you lose one food. Run out of food and you begin to lose health after every selection. Certain cards reward gold/food/health. Acquired gold can then be used to purchase food, equipment etc at a shop.

+ To make things interesting the dealer mixes in 'curse' cards in the deck. These cards are numerous and can drastically change the way the game is played. I.e. enemies do double damage, lose gold after every turn etc.

+ Soundtrack

The Average:

Combat is a big part of the game and it just isn’t as good as other games. Combat is identical to Rocksteady's Batman games, you have a strike, counter and dodge button. The animations feel stiff, hitting enemies doesn't feel satisfying and the mechanics never change. The combat starts to feel rather repetitive after awhile. I found it strange the developers decided to use real time combat instead of a combat system that used cards which is the games entire premise.

Glitchy achievements.

Conclusion:

This is a great unique game on Steam that is a bit rough around the edges but ultimately provides a very enjoyable and satisfying experience. I understand they are making a sequel which aims to improve many of the weaknesses from this game. If you like rogue-lite type of games and are looking for something a bit different, hands of fate will certainly deliver hours of fun.

Anteater

picked up Shadow Warrior 2, had to pick up steam card from the store since I forgot to leave money in my Paypal, missed the pre-order discount too, fml, oh well more money to the developer.

Time to spend 2 hours setting up the steam controller

fenners

I'm about two thirds of the way through it & thoroughly enjoying it. It's a mix of dungeon exploration through cards/tiles, and a Batman-esque beat-em-up. You flip a tile, get some text story, some random chances, and occasionally some 3rd person combat. Then you move to the next tile & repeat.

The way the story builds up over multiple trips through the 'dungeon' is awesome - as you explore & complete a tile's story, it unlocks more story tiles for the next playthrough. The order/layout of dungeons changes, as does the enemies you face, though there's a definite strong progression.

There's loot, there's maidens to save, there's monsters to kill.

I'm digging it. It's a unique package, even if the combat is the batman inspired style that's in vogue.

AHA-Lambda

Only thing I'll say to knock against Hand of Fate is that the last chapter's rise in difficulty is reminiscent of the Meat Circus from Psychonauts.

It's insane.

Hektor

Having played 6 hours of Shadow Wang 2, i gotta say i'm a tad disappointed.

The level design with the big open areas just feels less focused and designed than it did in Shadow Wang 1 due to that it's harder to find secrets or even just the way to your next objective sometimes, and i also feel less inclined to explore.

And the diablo style gameplay is not really up my alley i suppose, running around opening a bunch of crates and looting the enemies drags the pacing, and while the weapons got an amazing hitfeedback, it's frustrating to juggle all the different elemtal stas while fighting a horde of superior enemies and seeing your favorite gun not doing any damage due to resistance.

I don't have an issue with combat systems that are about exploiting weaknesses and preparing your equipment properly (Hell, i love JRPG's and they're nearly all about this, especialy the turn based ones), i feel like Shadow Wang 2 is just too fast paced for me to be able to properly pay attention to that.

That said, it's still a good game and i really enjoy it, i just wished they would've stuck with the concept of Shadow Wang 1.

Accoun

So my Dawn Of War doesn't seem to see the expansion and vice versa. Doesn't seem like there's anything locked in SP (I don't remember if the races were supposed to be locked in SP or MP), but at least there's nothing in Game Manager menu.

Knurek

20161015165603_1n9ql6.jpg

True GOAT character.
Also true GOAT voice actor. I'm just melting inside everytime he speaks.
90769.jpg
58384.jpg
75369.jpg

Lomax

I really wanted to love it, but in the end I was pretty disappointed in it. First of all, don't get any impression it's a card game, it's not a card game in the least. It's basically a roguelike where the cards represent encounters. The way you get cards and progress the story is creative, but the combat is really poor, and the sense of advancement just wasn't there for me. It does lend itself to short play sessions if that's what you're after. Overall it just felt like the sum was actually less than the total of the parts. But there are people who did love it who may be able to give you impressions of why it stuck with them. I made it about half way through the main campaign before I finally stopped going back to it, though I'll probably go back to it again someday.

Ludens

Banned
Deponia Doomsday is even worse than other Deponia games. First, it's a totally useless game, considering
the plot closed with the third game, Daedaòoc released a trilogy version of it but maybe they thought they could to some good money out of it, so here is a game based on time travel.

In the second place...why so much backtracking? I mean, there's a LOT of it. It's ALL focused on
backtrack do to the same actions with a variation, seeing the same cutscenes, hearing the same dialogues...luckily you can skip them with Esc, but what the hell, it's clear this is only to increase artificially the game's lenght.

septicore

So I guess when you buy the One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 Gold Edition on Humble, it gives you a key for the Gold Edition, which includes all the DLC, and the Story Pack, which is a bundle for the same DLC. So quote this post to see the Story Pack key it spit out. You need to own the base game, obviously.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 Story Pack (DLC, requires base game)

Cheers, I grabbed the Story Pack DLC.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Only thing I'll say to knock against Hand of Fate is that the last chapter's rise in difficulty is reminiscent of the Meat Circus from Psychonauts.

It's insane.

I eventually had to drop the difficulty down to Easy to beat the last chapter. I keep wanting to go back to it on normal for the cheezmo, but I dunno. Might just say I'm done.

I want to say that I got stuck on the King of Scales.

Super secret pro-tip for him:
You have to actually kill him first as he keeps his minions immortal. That took me way too long to figure out.

Knurek

For some reason LEGO The Movie started with Vsync disabled.
For exactly that reason I'm now painfully aware what coil whine is, and that my GPU exhibits it quite severely.
Funny thing - I played Witcher 3 previously, and been playing some other games with Vsync disabled - nothing previously had this reaction.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Apparently I already own Horizon Shift. Quote for key.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For some reason LEGO The Movie started with Vsync disabled.
For exactly that reason I'm now painfully aware what coil whine is, and that my GPU exhibits it quite severely.
Funny thing - I played Witcher 3 previously, and been playing some other games with Vsync disabled - nothing previously had this reaction.

Isn't coil whine usually tied to very high framerates, like when games hit 200-1000 fps on a blank loading screen? Lego games run ridiculously well so vsync off was probably getting you into that fps range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom