• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started watchdogs bad blood and for some reason the audio is very low I need to turn my tv almost all the way up to get normal volume, dont remember it being like this before anyone tried it lately?

Jawmuncher

Could care less about Red Dead unless they show it being like the valley of gwanji

tumblr_mls75gvin01rg97xsca.jpg

Just beat Yama for the fifth time. The first time was the hardest. After that I felt much more relaxed and stopped choking in tricky situations and deaths, even far in, didn't hurt anymore. In fact, all reactions became much less strong. Deaths, wins, good runs, nothing feels as satisfying as it used to. Playing it is becoming cathartic sorta. But it's a very good pick-up-and-play-for-half-an-hour type of game. I feel the end for it coming though.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Violett -- MB-A912C90E37CC13C0 - Taken by Purkake4
Iesabel -- MB-190D6FA225F9E621 - Taken by krczt23
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-1CEDDA40D5E71164 - Taken by fifasnipe2224
16bit-Trader -- MB-FE357CA48A4519EF - Taken by laserlaser
Sparkle 3 Genesis -- MB-1A091F4653DB07B7 - Taken by MaxiLive
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-B71F25767534A714 - Taken by Purkake4
Timberman -- MB-C9AE8D6E17A0D7AA - Taken by Sammichu

Knurek

I dont should I have?. Never really used it before.

See if that helps.
I have it enabled ever since Witcher 3 volume problems with FMVs, there doesn't seem to be any problems with having this on at all times (and if anything arises, you can just disable it).

Just got an notification that somebody in the States attempted to log into an old Gmail account of mine. Luckily Google blocked it, but I have no idea how that could have happened, as I haven't used that account in ages, and I don't believe that I have reused the password elsewhere. I could be mistaken, though.

Set a completely new password and enabled 2-factor authentication, and hopefully that'll be it, but it's just another reminder to always enable 2FA when possible.

BundleStars really knows how to get me. Really low price ($1.50), and even though most games are trash-tier, they have two good games in there making it worth it to me.

Tellaerin

Ucchedavāda;220378901 said:
Just got an notification that somebody in the States attempted to log into an old Gmail account of mine. Luckily Google blocked it, but I have no idea how that could have happened, as I haven't used that account in ages, and I don't believe that I have reused the password elsewhere. I could be mistaken, though.

Set a completely new password and enabled 2-factor authentication, and hopefully that'll be it, but it's just another reminder to always enable 2FA when possible.

Someone could've misremembered or typo'ed their account name if it was similar to yours, and mistakenly tried to log onto it. I'm pretty sure I've done that a couple of times myself - hopefully I didn't give anyone a panic attack.

BundleStars really knows how to get me. Really low price ($1.50), and even though most games are trash-tier, they have two good games in there making it worth it to me.

That's really the best way to look at it. $1.50 for two games you're interested in. And as a bonus, you get some extra stuff that you can probably farm for cards to get something back on the deal.

I put fire runes into the thing so it also burns everything it touches.

If some people here are to be believed, you could get the same effect by putting anime on it. >.>

Someone could've misremembered or typo'ed their account name if it was similar to yours, and mistakenly tried to log onto it. I'm pretty sure I've done that a couple of times myself - hopefully I didn't give anyone a panic attack.

According to the email I received on my recovery account, "someone has [my] password". So I doubt that this was just somebody mistyping their username. Plus, the username for that account is completely nonsensical, so it being similar to other usernames is unlikely.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder why it's better just to download the damn game on its release than preload. Why does unpacking take forever? Fuck, my 3DS could preload and launch the game without the unpacking problem (iirc they just download missing data).

I'd guess around 10 am PST (Steam store update time).

yeah was told too in the Civ VI thread, I guess it's the next day for me

That Summer Lesson thread is strange.

On one hand you have people saying that waifu-lovers are alt-right supremacists.

On the other hand you have people with anime-avaters denying they buy it because of the cute virtual girl and just want it for the "social experience".

Boss Doggie

Oh, seems like Civ VI will launch in steam exactly 0:00 Friday, neat, and you can preload now!

but I am afraid of preloading due to my bad unpacking experience :<

Grief.exe

I wonder why it's better just to download the damn game on its release than preload. Why does unpacking take forever? Fuck, my 3DS could preload and launch the game without the unpacking problem (iirc they just download missing data).

Oh, seems like Civ VI will launch in steam exactly 0:00 Friday, neat, and you can preload now!

but I am afraid of preloading due to my bad unpacking experience :<

The file is encrypted, unpacking constrained by your drive speed and processor.
My unpacking speed is very quick due to my i7 and SSD, but yours could be slow depending on your hardware. If you have a fast internet connection, could be a better trade off to wait until release.

Boss Doggie

My unpacking speed is very quick due to my i7 and SSD, but yours could be slow depending on your hardware. If you have a fast internet connection, could be a better trade off to wait until release.

Well I can download the 7gb-ish file for 4 hours. Last time I unpacked tho was with my old PC for SF4.

Usually its far faster with my 100mbps connection to download the game directly (if its like 30-50GB) than to preload it and wait for it to unpack.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Another thing to note is that the newest beta client (as of Oct 5th) supposedly increases the speed at which it unpacks games, regardless of hardware. I've not seen any benchmarks or tests to back up this claim, but that's what Valve says anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another thing to note is that the newest beta client (as of Oct 5th) supposedly increases the speed at which it unpacks games, regardless of hardware. I've not seen any benchmarks or tests to back up this claim, but that's what Valve says anyway.

Data encryption is understandable for retail discs, but considering the size of games these days Valve should just do away with it on pre-loads and instead have Steam withhold the executable until unlock o'clock, which is what CDPR did with The Witcher 3 on GOG. Hell, on second thought, retail discs could be handled the same way since even when using them you still need to be online, anyway.

Usually its far faster with my 100mbps connection to download the game directly (if its like 30-50GB) than to preload it and wait for it to unpack.

Even 30GB at 11.9MBps (that's the best I can manage on my 100Mbps connection, anyway) would take over 40 minutes to download. That's not long, but I doubt it's quicker than unpacking. Unpacking probably just seems longer since you're anxiously waiting to play the game and have to stare a progress bar.

Even 30GB at 11.9MBps (that's the best I can manage on my 100Mbps connection, anyway) would take over 40 minutes to download. That's not long, but I doubt it's quicker than unpacking. Unpacking probably just seems longer since you're anxiously waiting to play the game and have to stare a progress bar.

Might be, but last time it seemed like it took one hour to unpack... I dont even remember what that was, but some big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom