• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm enjoying Dead Rising 3 a ton in co-op. It's so much fun dicking around the city doing the combat challenges, splitting up side quests for max effectiveness, and being able to teleport to your partner to start actual missions. I'm seriously bummed the dlc doesn't support co-op apparently? Does it at least pull your character level from the main game? I've read that the Capcom dlc does support co-op so that should be a blast when it finally hits PC.

AsfaeksBR

Hey there, guys.
After about 2 years as a visitor reading NeoGAF every day (especially this thread), I've finally subscribed and now here I am! (3 weeks to be validated, not 2 years).

When I started checking here, I had about 100 games. Now I'm at 670 games (which is kind of a slow month for JaseC), and now I'm more playing through my Backlog than buying new games (my PC GPU broke, and my Notebook doesn't run new games that well, so I'm kinda thinking of getting a console to play the AAA games and leaving the Notebook to the indies and older games).

So, my Steam profile is ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/AsfaeksBR/ ) and I'm glad I'm finally here (and kind of scared to be posting, actually).
____

Is Steam Store servers down?
Steam Status says its normal, but it isn't loading in here.

Hey there, guys.
After about 2 years as a visitor reading NeoGAF every day (especially this thread), I've finally subscribed and now here I am! (3 weeks to be validated, not 2 years).

When I started checking here, I had about 100 games. Now I'm at 670 games (which is kind of a slow month for JaseC), and now I'm more playing through my Backlog than buying new games (my PC GPU broke, and my Notebook doesn't run new games that well, so I'm kinda thinking of getting a console to play the AAA games and leaving the Notebook to the indies and older games).

So, my Steam profile is ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/AsfaeksBR/ ) and I'm glad I'm finally here (and kind of scared to be posting, actually).
____

Welcome friend! I added you on Steam to help you feel welcome :)

As far as your question. Seems that Steam is up according to http://issteamdown.com/. And seems to work fine for me.

Deitus

Hey there, guys.

Welcome to GAF (and to SteamGAF)!

When I started checking here, I had about 100 games. Now I'm at 670 games

You'll fit in well here.

Edit: Nice avatar btw =)

Such things are constants, it's like making a post about every terrible youtube comment. Not much you can do about the situation and you're certainly never going to run out of things to mention but after a certain point it's better to just ignore them.

I think it is always best to discuss it in the thread in question. As much as posts discussing pros and cons about PC gaming are infuriating, they are also pretty easy to avoid if you want to do so. It is like reading the destiny xbox thread, no good can really come of it, but if you want to play that game you can certainly go nuts in there.

Dragging that into other threads can be pretty annoying. Best you will get is an echo chamber anyway.

Both of you bring up fair points. Fair enough. I'll poke fun of those comments in their respective threads.

Anywho, so that first WW1 level in the darkness is some 1998 fps bullshit. I've respected the directionlessness and the lack of hand holding in the first darkness but, man, some of this game hasn't aged as well as i would've liked. The controls, too, seems like they could've used some more thought. A weapon wheel would've been a much better approach to how to handle 4 different powers and the near double digit weapons you have access to, instead of the cumbersome and inefficient method of tapping the dpad several times in a direction while a zombie-man shoots you in the face repeatedly.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to playing the darkness 2 and seeing what they did to make the game work better in the modern FPS age.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Both of you bring up fair points. Fair enough. I'll poke fun of those comments in their respective threads.

Anywho, so that first WW1 level in the darkness is some 1998 fps bullshit. I've respected the directionlessness and the lack of hand holding in the first darkness but, man, some of this game hasn't aged as well as i would've liked. The controls, too, seems like they could've used some more thought. A weapon wheel would've been a much better approach to how to handle 4 different powers and the near double digit weapons you have access to, instead of the cumbersome and inefficient method of tapping the dpad several times in a direction while a zombie-man shoots you in the face repeatedly.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to playing the darkness 2 and seeing what they did to make the game work better in the modern FPS age.
They made the shooting feedback much more responsive and made Jackie less of a combat wimp. It's a lot more fun to "play" than the first game.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey there, guys.

____

Welcome to SteamGAF, the happiest place on NeoGAF! Also I'm living the backlog life as well, but for once I'm actually playing a game at release (Danganronpa 2 on VITA) but then I plan to come back and start clearing my Steam backlog again. I have 24 games alone in my favorites section that is my "Will Complete for Sure" Backlog games, and that list is already huge enough :(

You are correct. It works with any OS and mostly any setup as it's just a video stream. Yes, you could run the laptop as an HTPC and I can't imagine it would diminish the lifespan of the laptop. One thing worth noting is that some people had issues with both the host and the node computer being on WiFi. If you can, try hooking your main computer through Ethernet, but if not then you should be fine with occasional issues.

Very cool. My main is directly connected... I don't think I said it right when I gave my hypothetical, so hopefully that issue won't be one for me. But it's good to know.

Titanfall $16 on GamerGate.
20% code brings it down to $12.80

That seems like a crazy good deal. The only problem is that there was a recent thread complaining about how utterly dead the game was on PC, which will fractured further with DLC releases. Shame, though. It seems fairly interesting.

Speaking of multiplayer-only shooters, I need to get back into Dirty Bomb. I believe I have a few beta codes around... wasn't someone asking about one of those?

Arthea

Hey there, guys.
After about 2 years as a visitor reading NeoGAF every day (especially this thread), I've finally subscribed and now here I am! (3 weeks to be validated, not 2 years)....

Welcome to the steamy gaf version, no additional price, comes with steam masterkey.
I'll add you when get home, or you can add me
sorry for your loss

Shadownet

Banned

oh just fucking kill me now ; _ ;
I missed out on it while it was still unlocked

Oh speaking of Sherlock Holmes. GameStop is doing this scratch cards promotion where on the cards there are different scenarios. If you solve it and scratch off the correct answer. Then you will get $10 off when you preorder Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishment. If you get it incorrect. You still get $5 off.

Sooo if someone who is interested in that game. I can get a bunch of those cards from work. And scratch off the right answers since I know what they are. Preorder you Sherlock Holmes on PC and either ship you the game or give you the Steam code if you're outside the US.

Also.. I got 15% employee discount that I haven't included yet (; so that's like $40 for Sherlock?

Its not amazing but its the best discount there is right now on the game I believe.

Arthea

what's backlog you are talking guys? just play Trails, and be happy

No people, stop trying to break into my battle.net account.
There's nothing there except some WOW characters that have been neglected for over 4 years.

The Witch's Yarn key available for the Indie Royale Oktoberfest bundle

have you travelled back in time? Not only The Witch's Yarn is half year old, but breaking into your battle.net account was done many times over years ago.

Turfster

No people, stop trying to break into my battle.net account.
There's nothing there except some WOW characters that have been neglected for over 4 years.

The Witch's Yarn key available for the Indie Royale Oktoberfest bundle

Turfster

have you travelled back in time? Not only The Witch's Yarn is half year old, but breaking into your battle.net account was done many times over years ago.

The IR bundle didn't have a steam key yet, as far as I know. I might be wrong, though.
And people are using the "new" leaked database to try that old password that doesn't work on it, giving me battle.net emails =p

Have screenshot titles always been censored? I noticed they changed "ass" to "♥♥♥" when looking at my activity feed

Yes, but not in the full view.
It's kinda silly.

I'm enjoying Dead Rising 3 a ton in co-op. It's so much fun dicking around the city doing the combat challenges, splitting up side quests for max effectiveness, and being able to teleport to your partner to start actual missions. I'm seriously bummed the dlc doesn't support co-op apparently? Does it at least pull your character level from the main game? I've read that the Capcom dlc does support co-op so that should be a blast when it finally hits PC.
Your PP level and whatnot carries over in the DLC. The Untold Story episodes are horrendous though: even more inane fetchquests, boring main characters, not allowed to play dress-up and the world / mission design is actively slowing you down in hopes you wouldn't realize it only contains 30 minutes worth of content to plow through if that.

They made the shooting feedback much more responsive and made Jackie less of a combat wimp. It's a lot more fun to "play" than the first game.

how do they handle powers and weapons, though? That's really the thing im curious about. There are parts of the darkness 1 where the game wants me to take on a room full of badass swat dudes but then jackie looks like a fumbling idiot as he slowly tries to change to another gun or to a darkness power that's actually useful for the situation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Your PP level and whatnot carries over in the DLC. The Untold Story episodes are horrendous though: even more inane fetchquests, boring main characters, not allowed to play dress-up and the world / mission design is actively slowing you down in hopes you wouldn't realize it only contains 30 minutes worth of content to plow through if that.

That's a bummer. Still, I'm enjoying the combat enough to give them a try especially since you confirmed the PP level carries over.

how do they handle powers and weapons, though? That's really the thing im curious about. There are parts of the darkness 1 where the game wants me to take on a room full of badass swat dudes but then jackie looks like a fumbling idiot as he slowly tries to change to another gun or to a darkness power that's actually useful for the situation.
They simplified them a bit and made the whole being gimped in the light thing a lot less of an issue. You are definitely more effective with them in the second game.

Shadownet

Banned
Soooo I got a copy of Destiny.. I've succumbed.

Anyway, its really fun so far but I've been so spoiled by PC that the graphic department of Destiny doesn't impress me much anymore like it did in the Beta.

Anyway, its really fun so far but I've been so spoiled by PC that the graphic department of Destiny doesn't impress me much anymore like it did in the Beta.

I picked it up too on PS4 but I've not really been digging it so far. I intend to finish it and hope it improves but really unimpressed by how shallow it is.

On the DR3 stuff....

How much pressure am I under to get all the collectibles while progressing through the story? Am I able to go back through the areas...or do things get locked out while progressing through the story?

Cheddahz

Banned

Just remember that the game did start off as a seventh generation game, so there's that

Anyways, I got the Xbox One version and the game runs perfectly for me and I've been having fun with it (been playing with friends and hell, even my dad), but it's nothing special

They simplified them a bit and made the whole being gimped in the light thing a lot less of an issue. You are definitely more effective with them in the second game.

That all sounds promising. I'll probably play something different after D1 to cleanse the palette a bit and then get right into D2 after that, knowing that things are going to play better. Thanks for the info!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On the DR3 stuff....

How much pressure am I under to get all the collectibles while progressing through the story? Am I able to go back through the areas...or do things get locked out while progressing through the story?

Most of the side missions have a timer attached to them, typically like "So and so is going to die unless you get to them in x number of minutes" kinda thing. I think there is like a new game+ mode where you start over from the beginning but keep your level, abilities, and plans and can get a lot of the stuff you missed a lot easier.

I'm pretty sure the collectibles that aren't part of the side missions are available at all times though.

Dr Dogg

Hey there, guys.

Welcome to the madhouse!

On the DR3 stuff....

If you're playing the regular mode you have plenty of time to mess around, do the story, explore and do the side content. I haven't missed a side mission yet and I'm up to chapter 6 and I've had more than half the time left on each mission. Story missions don't expire but certain side missions only unlock as you progress through. Nightmare Mode increases the duration of time by 4 so it's a lot more hectic like the previous entries.

Is the story any good? And how "not mmo" is the game?

The story so far is horrid. The thing I don't like the most is they have these grimoire cards that are tied to in game accomplishments which contain backstory about the world, however the only way to read them is to go on the website or download the app. It's not an MMO at all, it has some of the trappings of the genre (dancing, main hub, random players showing up) but it's definitely not an MMO.

Wait, there's a story?

Yep, cutscenes and everything. They are unskippable as far as I could tell. Not cool in your game that's supposed to have a ton of replay value.

On the DR3 stuff....

There's a time limit for rescuing survivors and facing bosses, but it's so generous it might as well not even exist. I finished all of them with 2.5 days left, 0 deaths and S Ending, for reference. Story missions also have no additional timer beyond the whole "you have 7 days until the bomb" doomsday scenario. Nightmare Mode isn't worth bothering with; it's clearly an afterthought.

Every other collectible can be picked up whenever, including NG+ replays.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's not an MMO at all, it has some of the trappings of the genre (dancing, main hub, random players showing up) but it's definitely not an MMO.

What? Destiny has DANCING?

I originally thought to myself that I'd probably pick this up eventually since I'm planning on getting a PS4 maybe around Christmas(?) but now... probably not.

Finishing nightmare mode gives you a sweet Mega Man X buster that kills hundreds of zombies in one charge. Worth it!
265550_2014-09-10_000repus.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom