• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need to go into that PC thread to know that it's a shitshow. Console warriors are an especially defensive bunch this gen, with their machines basically being small form factor PCs and devs/pubs putting their games on PCs becoming more common thing than ever before.

The amount of salt that will come out of the official announcement of the Master Chief collection for the PC will kill the inhabitants of most pacific island nations.

Eh, I think it's pretty obvious the constant console comparisons are more fueled by people wanting to be on the 'winning' team than with people wanting the most out of their hardware.

Either way, I don't see what the confusion is.

People getting too attached to their gaming system is certainly not a console exclusive.

I don't need to go into that PC thread to know that it's a shitshow. Console warriors are an especially defensive bunch this gen, with their machines basically being small form factor PCs and devs/pubs putting their games on PCs becoming more common thing than ever before.

The amount of salt that will come out of the official announcement of the Master Chief collection for the PC will kill the inhabitants of most pacific island nations.

Yet I will only celebrate because I don't have to buy it for the Xbone. :D

Who cares? Be a better person and ignore them. Just as annoying to read constant posts about how silly fan boys are in here.

Dr Dogg

It was more that the game doesn't release until noon Central which would be night time in Europe land(which is where Friday releases are common)

Ah my bad. Well we've had some funky release time here in the UK, even exclusive to our timezone (namely most Total War games and Resident Evil 4 launching at midnight when they weren't unlocked in any other region). what I'd prefer is there was just a single day, date and timed release for ever game on Steam. It's like this with smaller stuff but some of the larger releases that have commitments to retail distribution still end up leaving some territories lagging behind.

What was quite funny that Wolfenstein got delivered to me 3 days early, was unlocked for the US on Steam but despite having the disc's in my hand couldn't play the game until 3 days later due to how the release date set in stone due to the official release date over here which corresponded with the official retail release. Even more so when there was a lot of retail copies left unsold in most places for a month until they got put on sale.

They can hover now brah

_41093455_dalekfly300.jpg

I've been out of the loop a long time it seems. I grew up with the worst Doctor, Sylvester McCoy. Why couldn't I be born a few years earlier and had Tom Baker or Peter Davidson. I might have actually like Dr Who at the time then.

Tizoc

I've been out of the loop a long time it seems. I grew up with the worst Doctor, sylvester McCoy. Why couldn't I be born a few years earlier and had Tom Baker or Peter Davidion. I might have actually like Dr Who at the time then.

McCoy's the 7th Doctor IIRC.
...The Daleks could hover during his series.

You follow the current series though right?

I've been out of the loop a long time it seems. I grew up with the worst Doctor, sylvester McCoy. Why couldn't I be born a few years earlier and had Tom Baker or Peter Davidion. I might have actually like Dr Who at the time then.

They could float during McCoy's too, in Remembrance.

wilflare

Titanfall $16 on GamerGate.
20% code brings it down to $12.80

---
can't we just enjoy both consoles and PCs (and handhelds?) both serve different segments of the market (though overlaps do occur).

oh well

The age old pivot point of couch comfy vs PC gaming doesn't work anymore. I've been couch gaming on my PC for a while now, switching from the office to the living room depending on the game alone. Dark Souls -> couch style. CS:GO -> the way it's meant to be played (tm). Binding of Isaac v.2 is going to put a divot in my couch.

Which brings me to this: my understanding of Steam in-home streaming is that, as long as I have my main rig running and on my Wi-Fi, any other PC on that Wi-Fi with Steam installed can run games at the same graphical output as my main rig, regardless of the receiving end's specs or OS.

The question(s): Am I more or less correct in that roundup above? Does anyone have a MacBook Pro that has done this? How about a MacBook Air? How hot does the laptop run? Could I then run an HDMI output to a TV and have that laptop operate similar to an HTPC? Are there risks involved, such as diminishing the lifespan of the laptop?

derExperte

Doubtful, we'll just get 50 pages of 'now I don't need to buy an Xbone even though I never would've anyway' from SonyGAF.

Also that thread isn't worse than all the other ones, some reasonable responses from both sides and at least I know which posters will write dumb shit before reading so it's like a horror movie where you know all the scares already.

Final Fantasy XIII is flawed but it has the best combat system of any JRPG I've played.
Shadow Hearts II would be a personal favorite of mine for engaging turn-based combat in a JRPG thanks to its Ring System or whatever it's called. Also helps that the various characters have different styles to them, complete with unique, quirky sidequests that (for once) are actually fairly fun to complete.

Ok, so I've been away for the last 6-7 months and I'll soon be able to start playing games more regularly - in the meantime, I've accumulated a few keys to buy those games.

From my wishlist which games should I buy first?

From your list I'd say Dead Rising 3 looks great but maybe you're better advised to wait off till the performance kinks get patched. Otherwise Mind looks very intriguing but you are not into FPS you say.... hm.
For contrast, I'd go against picking up Dead Rising 3, keys or not. Its gameplay design is deeply flawed even as a standalone game and as a sequel it's nothing but a mere shell of what Dead Rising used to be. A hypothetically fixed performance will only alleviate so little and there's better games to choose from in that wishlist.

The age old pivot point of couch comfy vs PC gaming doesn't work anymore. I've been couch gaming on my PC for a while now, switching from the office to the living room depending on the game alone. Dark Souls -> couch style. CS:GO -> the way it's meant to be played (tm). Binding of Isaac v.2 is going to put a divot in my couch.

Which brings me to this: my understanding of Steam in-home streaming is that, as long as I have my main rig running and on my Wi-Fi, any other PC on that Wi-Fi with Steam installed can run games at the same graphical output as my main rig, regardless of the receiving end's specs or OS.

The question(s): Am I more or less correct in that roundup above? Does anyone have a MacBook Pro that has done this? How about a MacBook Air? How hot does the laptop run? Could I then run an HDMI output to a TV and have that laptop operate similar to an HTPC? Are there risks involved, such as diminishing the lifespan of the laptop?

You are correct. It works with any OS and mostly any setup as it's just a video stream. Yes, you could run the laptop as an HTPC and I can't imagine it would diminish the lifespan of the laptop. One thing worth noting is that some people had issues with both the host and the node computer being on WiFi. If you can, try hooking your main computer through Ethernet, but if not then you should be fine with occasional issues.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
As a Brit and a Doctor Who fan I feel I should contribute. I once saw Neil Gaiman draw a doodle of a Dalek at the bottom of a set of stairs that was angrily cursing, so it's ok to have forgotten that they can float.

Jawmuncher

Achievement for dragging every soldier back to the truck.

Man that game hasn't aged well at all.
Don't know how the hell I put up with it at release.
Played it recently and was so glad once i finished it.

Portable Ops was awesome, and much better than Peace Walker. I say bring it on. And I hope they bring the Plus expansion too.

I think you are just talking nostalgia unless you played it recently.
I thought the same thing at once until I played both back to back.

Dr Dogg

McCoy's the 7th Doctor IIRC.
...The Daleks could hover during his series.

You follow the current series though right?

Yeah I try to. I worked in Cardiff for a bit down the road from where most of the filming is/was done. Though it's not like I bumped into any of the cast as all. Saying that seen John Barrowman a few times round Bristol but the amount of semi famous people that pop up here everyday it's kind of a non event most of the time.

They could float during McCoy's too, in Remembrance.

Oh trust me I had give up not long after getting into Who. I did see a stage show with John Pertwee at about the same time which kind of got me interested again but didn't really pick it back up until it came back recently.

Speaking of Dr Who and trying to make this post relevant to Steam I must keep an eye out for when the Adventure games go on sale again.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

oh just fucking kill me now ; _ ;
I missed out on it while it was still unlocked

Jawmuncher

Titanfall $16 on GamerGate.
20% code brings it down to $12.80

---
can't we just enjoy both consoles and PCs (and handhelds?) both serve different segments of the market (though overlaps do occur).

oh well

Was about to jump on this.
Then I remembered I have it on X1.

I just remembered that a PC version of MGS1 already exists. Does anyone know how they handled the Psycho Mantis fight in that game? Assuming we are getting a rerelease of an MGS Collection then I'd be interested to know.

Chariot

Payday 2's (paid) DLCs would be great in my opinion if they focused more on heists instead of weapons and masks.

Since it's a crossover hopefully it'll be free. Hopefully.
Some people love more customization and weapons and I presume that they're pretty easy to make. With that they can keep the community alive with updates while they work at new Heists. Plus, of course, it's a bit extra money for development. Things like free new maps are not self-evident anymore and a great thing in my eyes. If they finance it with DLCs, even if they don't interest me much - great! Payday 2 is a cooperative game and thus is´t's not game breaking to have some people have a greater weapon variety than others.

Grief.exe

I just remembered that a PC version of MGS1 already exists. Does anyone know how they handled the Psycho Mantis fight in that game? Assuming we are getting a rerelease of an MGS Collection then I'd be interested to know.

Thief, Half-Life, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex references

ijTUTbFngLY2.gif

Arthea

I have some problem with David Tennant, can't even say what problem is, but I tried to get back to watching Doc Who several times now, and I just can't.
OTOH, I'm not so sure it's entirely his fault (><)

Who cares? Be a better person and ignore them. Just as annoying to read constant posts about how silly fan boys are in here.

hah, no irony in that post.

but to discuss your point: I was responding to a fairly ignorant post that was linked earlier in the thread regarding some really terrible and ancient assumptions about PC gaming. I wasn't actually gloating about how amazing PCs are and that SteamGAF is the best or anything
not that none of that isn't true, of course :p
. Hell, i do most of my gaming on the Vita, and the latest game I've played that's not on the Vita is the Darkness 1 on the PS3. So I have no real allegiances one way or another.

Does it mean that i can't enjoy some tears and salt when willfully ignorant people say the darnest thing about PC gaming or anything else? C'mon, where's the fun in not chuckling at that? I'd poke fun at someone saying dumb and inaccurate things about an xbone, too, if it was something as outrageous as the comments linked to in that post.

Doubtful, we'll just get 50 pages of 'now I don't need to buy an Xbone even though I never would've anyway' from SonyGAF.

Also that thread isn't worse than all the other ones, some reasonable responses from both sides and at least I know which posters will write dumb shit before reading so it's like a horror movie where you know all the scares already.

yeah, that's fair enough. Just speaking from my own experience with those Master Chief collection coming to the PC threads, where a good chunk of the posts were about how MS would be so dumb to put those games on the PC and how people were going to stop buying MS games if they went through with it.

Volimar

I have some problem with David Tennant, can't even say what problem is, but I tried to get back to watching Doc Who several times now, and I just can't.
OTOH, I'm not so sure it's entirely his fault (><)

It's okay. Some people just can't handle watching the best Doctor in all his glory.

hah, no irony in that post.

Does it mean that i can't enjoy some tears and salt when willfully ignorant people say the darnest thing about PC gaming or anything else? C'mon, where's the fun in not chuckling at that? I'd poke fun at someone saying dumb and inaccurate things about an xbone, too, if it was something as outrageous as the comments linked to in that post.

Such things are constants, it's like making a post about every terrible youtube comment. Not much you can do about the situation and you're certainly never going to run out of things to mention but after a certain point it's better to just ignore them.

I was responding to a fairly ignorant post that was linked earlier in the thread regarding some really terrible and ancient assumptions about PC gaming.

I think it is always best to discuss it in the thread in question. As much as posts discussing pros and cons about PC gaming are infuriating, they are also pretty easy to avoid if you want to do so. It is like reading the destiny xbox thread, no good can really come of it, but if you want to play that game you can certainly go nuts in there.

Dragging that into other threads can be pretty annoying. Best you will get is an echo chamber anyway.

Chariot

Such things are constants, it's like making a post about every terrible youtube comment. Not much you can do about the situation and you're certainly never going to run out of things to mention but after a certain point it's better to just ignore them.
We shouldn't ignore the poor lost souls and use every inch of power to show them the way of light. Don't be a lazy consolist and go out in the freshness of sunday morning, ring at random doors and tell them about the worth of following Gabe, our on and only Managing director of Valve Corporation, he who is the son of parents.

We shouldn't ignore the poor lost souls and use every inch of power to show them the way of light. Don't be a lazy consolist and go out in the freshness of sunday morning, ring at random doors and tell them about the worth of following Gabe, our on and only Managing director of Valve Corporation, he who is the son of parents.

lol or that too :)

derExperte

Any Hack'n'Slash impressions? I'm considering buying just because they extended their initial discount to after release instead of just rewarding preorders like many others do nowadays. How long is it?

also I was sure I've seen LoS 2 before, but I can't see it now either... weird.

Sometimes we get a background picture of a game not available here.

That PC thread...Jesus I give up.

I didn't make it past the fifth post

But like, it's not even a game at all man.

We're seriously doing this 'not a game' bullshit again?

unless your favourite pastime is to go to someone's home and rummage through their stuff,
it's totally not worth your time. (><)

In any event....it takes about 2 hours to run through.

But anyway, opinions and shit.

Mozendo

Some people love more customization and weapons and I presume that they're pretty easy to make. With that they can keep the community alive with updates while they work at new Heists. Plus, of course, it's a bit extra money for development. Things like free new maps are not self-evident anymore and a great thing in my eyes. If they finance it with DLCs, even if they don't interest me much - great! Payday 2 is a cooperative game and thus is´t's not game breaking to have some people have a greater weapon variety than others.

That's understandable.
I didn't mean it in a demanding way, just that I personally would not spend money to unlock masks, guns, and parts which I hope the the Hotline Miami DLC isn't if it is paid DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom