• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are good if your definition of ARPG is "An RPG," but when the "A" stands for "Action" it's generally stuff like Darksiders II, Kingdom Hearts, Enclave, etc. Diablo and the Souls games could also be grouped as "Action RPGs" but they're not really directly comparable to the others.

I always thought the definition of ARPG was a loot game where items had randomized prefixes and suffixes. Games like Diablo 2, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege, and Marvel Heroes. Things like that.

mantrakid

Ive been working hard on my indie game Cosmochoria which is hitting Steam Early Access on Sept 29!

It’s got a little naked dude with tiny nips freezing in the dead cold of space. His junk is shrunken to nigh invisibility. He plants seeds, they sprout and give him more seeds, he respawns a galaxy. He gets shot with fire in his face. He shoots dragons in their face. Aliens arrive. You upgrade your shit. You drop bombs like in Contra 3. You get stronger. You get awesomer. You jetpack everywhere and go through portals and find hidden secret pets that help you kill and lick your wounds and make time portals and its the greatest game ever created in the history of mankind.

i1sVMLkFk631z.gif

(shouts to Ryo Hazuki for the gif)

Huge stack of GAF Kickstarter homies will be getting their steam keys in a couple weeks tops.

Official Site: www.cosmochoria.com
Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/293240
Official Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792398

Salsa

its like each time you back away from Steam for like.. a month, you re-learn the lesson that there's so many games you bought at full/half price that you still havent played and show up for cheaper so fast

im gonna promise myself for the 8th time that ive learned it for realsies this time

iosefe

its like each time you back away from Steam for like.. a month, you re-learn the lesson that there's so many games you bought at full/half price that you still havent played and show up for cheaper so fast

im gonna promise myself for the 8th time that ive learned it for realsies this time

SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(Today, 05:17 PM)

can you trust yourself?

Salsa

im getting better tho right

each time someone doesnt show up here for a while is like that moment in Good Will Hunting when Ben Affleck loves Matt Damon so much but he wants to see him get on with his life and wishes he doesnt respond when he knocks on the door and all that

Tellaerin

I always thought the definition of ARPG was a loot game where items had randomized prefixes and suffixes. Games like Diablo 2, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege, and Marvel Heroes. Things like that.

There's some overlap, but the defining characteristic of an ARPG is that it has an action-based, real-time battle system where you're directly controlling a single character at a time. The Ys games would be good examples, even though they don't have random loot drops.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Remember Me's combat is better than Kingdom of Amalur's.

They're very different, from what I've played of Kingdom Of Amalur anyway. Amalur is more fluid and fast, sort of Darksiders I guess, whilst Remeber Me's is more measured and timing based. I like both a lot but for different reasons.

It's a real shame that Big Huge Games never got the chance to release the difficulty patch on Steam they had more or less completed before everything went tits up :(

Shadownet

Banned
Remember Me is so worth that price.
I might pick it up based on this recommendation. Been wanting to try it out.
----
Also I remember playing RE 4 once on a Wii. I couldn't aim worth shit cause I couldn't keep my arm still and I was young. So I panicked when I saw zombies coming at me and I could not move.

Caerith

I think loot games are a different, overlapping genre. Diablo and Torchlight are both loot games and ARPGs. If you took out the random loot from one of them, it wouldn't stop being an ARPG.

An APRG is where there's a 1:1 between you pressing a button and your character doing something instead of you generally choosing a command and waiting for the computer to resolve it. I mean, in Diablo, you click to attack and you click each time you want to attack, rather than just clicking on an enemy then sitting back and watching.

tav7623

I really don't understand why Capcom never bothered to port the remaining Onimusha games and put them on Steam.

I never understood why they didn't come out with a Onimusha HD collection for PS3/360 during the HD collection craze or why they haven't made a new Onimusha game for that matter.

So RE5 is pretty much the only RE game I don't have on Steam... this $10 sale is tempting, but I should wait for the GFWL-less version right? Or if I buy this, will it convert to Steamworks after the switch?

So RE5 is pretty much the only RE game I don't have on Steam... this $10 sale is tempting, but I should wait for the GFWL-less version right? Or if I buy this, will it convert to Steamworks after the switch?

C'mon now. We're talking 'bout Capcpom here.
Of course you'll have to buy it again.

No you won't, it will get patched, like every other game on steam that has patched out GFWL and patched in Steamworks. :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I ended up giving up on RE5 since I couldn't stomach it alone. I find it all so very bland and uninteresting but I had enough fun to keep me going when I had a co-op partner but it doesn't stand well on it's own at all.

Chariot

I vaguely remember people talking about a couple of games that were supposed to be similar to AW on Steam, but from what I recall, they weren't very good. : /
:(
We need Advance Wars rip-offs instead of those open world survival games.

When it comes to turn-based strategy, there's always XCOM. There's also Wesnoth for free. Neither is like Advance Wars, really, but maybe you'll still enjoy them.
Played both of them already. Was fun, but I don't want to play them more.

AsfaeksBR

Gosh, I am so hot for Advance Wars right now. Is there a similar game on PC and possibly on steam? I just want my tactical skirmishes, not epic stories that restrict me. Would love to see something so simple, yet fun in turn-based strategy with generic units rather than unique heroes.

Have you tried Xenonauts?
It's 33% off at Humble Store right now.

Brannon

Damn, still don't understand why LP:EC and LP2 just stay $20 when LP3 and so many other Capcom games go on sale regularly. I mean, what the hell.

Capcom.

I will choke you from the furthest distance with my undying confusion.

I ended up giving up on RE5 since I couldn't stomach it alone. I find it all so very bland and uninteresting but I had enough fun to keep me going when I had a co-op partner but it doesn't stand well on it's own at all.
Pretty much how I feel. Thankfully it is rather short so I did finished it in short Bursts!

Stitch

Gold Member
The russian price for the Capcom Action Pack is really nice but I guess it's region locked because no trader seems to have it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pretty much how I feel. Thankfully it is rather short so I did finished it in short Bursts!

I didn't since I wasn't haven't any fun. I might get through it if I get a new co-op partner though but I uninstalled it since no one ever wanted to play.
Going by how often I see friends playing RE6 I might have better luck with that and it also looked more interesting to me watching one of my friends stream it.

That Resident Evil: Revelations Complete pack for $5.64 in Russian monies is too good to pass up. Now to find a seller, also does anyone know if it's region locked?

Here's some Orborun

Oh, and an invite to the SteamGaf group would be appreciated.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Duke899/

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orborun -- MB-2E95A8295219E2C4 - Taken by Kuroyume. 5 entrants total.

t1410483543z1.png

Turfster

Those are good if your definition of ARPG is "An RPG," but when the "A" stands for "Action" it's generally stuff like Darksiders II, Kingdom Hearts, Enclave, etc. Diablo and the Souls games could also be grouped as "Action RPGs" but they're not really directly comparable to the others.

This is why labels are bad, especially if they're kinda vague ;)
Of the 4, you could say Torment isn't really an "action" RPG, being dialogue heavy, but the others fall firmly in the "action" category, really.

I'm really not sure what KoA ever did to you or your loved ones, but holy schnikes...
Stallion's hatred is so real, I'm getting thirsty just reading about it. ;)
It's one of the few games Stallion and I agree fully on ;)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Payday 2 / Hotline Miami DLC coming 9/30 to Payday 2, sounds like it could be really cool.

It sounds amazing, too bad Overkill ruined Payday 2 for me by limiting the body bags. Solo stealth is now not fun anymore at least for me and I had a lot of fun trying to solo/stealth the missions.
If they ever change it back I'll be there but until then I just hope for a dope soundtrack

Arthea

Could I get an invite to the Steam group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/KaizorPenguin Thanks!

I also need more people on my friends list, so feel free to to add me :)

with that steam avatar, your friend list isn't full? what this world became?
added

That Resident Evil: Revelations Complete pack for $5.64 in Russian monies is too good to pass up. Now to find a seller, also does anyone know if it's region locked?

Everything Capcpom is always region locked, you start from here and check time to time: maybe they forgot to lock something, just in case (><)

tmarg

I'm really not sure what KoA ever did to you or your loved ones, but holy schnikes...
Stallion's hatred is so real, I'm getting thirsty just reading about it. ;)

I haven't played either, but you guys have successfully convinced me that they are both probably pretty terrible.

with that steam avatar, your friend list isn't full? what this world became?
added

Everything Capcpom is always region locked, you start from here and check time to time: maybe they forgot to lock something, just in case (><)

Hmmm, I'll have to check around, I got RE6 complete from a seller and it was region free.

fernandes

saw this, thought it was hotline miami dlc...

turns out its for that grind fest called payday 2

kevinsorbo.gif

I thought it was a DLC for Hotline Miami too until I read your post. Kinda disappointed now. I wonder if that means Hotline Miami 2 will have some kind of Payday extras/dlc when it comes out.

Just came across a post in the Destiny thread where someone called Dark Souls 'mid evil fantasy garbage' :D

Meanwhile I watched the GB quicklook of the game and... well... it's abundantly clear why the review embargo was after release.

NjZU4Mg.gif

If you're playing Remember Me for the first time, consider going with easy difficulty. It's not a hard game but I felt the combat is the least appealing part of the experience. What you're really there for is the gorgeous artwork and fantastic soundtrack.

Arthea

I really really wanna buy Onimusha 3, forgot to buy it at the end of summer sale, then later when I checked how much I spent, I was glad I forgot. I know that port isn't good, but as I never get to replaying it in my lifetime, unless my master plan works and I live forever to play and replay all my games, it's irrelevant sorta.
Then again, why I would be buying it if for not playing? What if it gets patched, or HD version is released and it's free for current owners, or they finally remember that Onimusha exist and we get another game and loyalty discount for owners of 3, or I suddenly wanna play it and nothing else, or
OK, I'll stop here (><)

Hmmm, I'll have to check around, I got RE6 complete from a seller and it was region free.

are you sure about it? maybe it was row? *goes to check*

edited: RE6 is region locked, but I couldn't find complete for some reason.

It sounds amazing, too bad Overkill ruined Payday 2 for me by limiting the body bags. Solo stealth is now not fun anymore at least for me and I had a lot of fun trying to solo/stealth the missions.
If they ever change it back I'll be there but until then I just hope for a dope soundtrack

I thought they removed that? You can buy body bags as assets before missions I thought? Might be wrong, I don't solo stealth myself but I do like doing it with a group sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom