• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Just a bunch of personal health complications, I'm losing some money too. I also made a bad CSGO bet today, most likely will lose all of my expensive skins. FML

Sad to hear it.:( Hopefully it will get better soon, even if it's just a litte better day by day.

The_Monk

Guys, I'm having trouble focusing on one game to play. I don't really remember the last game that held my attention all the way through.

Try to have no more than two, perhaps 3 "main" games on your Steam library. If they are from a different genre it might work better. One of those could be for online/multiplayer purposes if that's your thing. The other two can be a mix between something you may like from the gameplay perspective while the other could be focused more about the story.

If you can, try to have a small number of already installed games so you can focus your energy on those. On Steam, always have the tab "Installed" open instead of "all games" or the Store page. If you are playing something that is not grabbing your attention at all then just uninstall it and be done with it. Don't make your hobby a chore, remember, it's all about the fun.

So I'm loving Metro 2033 Redux, but I'm getting some stuttering in the audio - the game itself is butter smooth, but the audio cuts out sporadically when things get busy. Anyone heard of this?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The 3D in Uncharted 3 is incredible but if you don't have a 3D t.v. then obviously it's a pointless thing to download. The bad thing about every PS3 download is that its download/installation system is broken and you have to have at least double the space to download the game. Ie, if Uncharted 3 with 2D cutscenes is 25 GBs you need at least 50 GBs free.

Luckily they fixed it on the Vita and PS4 but it will continue to be annoyance on the PS3. Lot of great games on the system that won't be ported any time soon if ever.
This is stupid. Why can't it download an already uncompressed/installed version, like Steam does? Fortunately my 500 GB console still has a lot of free space on its HDD, and I'm only going to use it for console exclusives, so it'll probably last me for a long time.

JambiBum

Try to have no more than two, perhaps 3 "main" games on your Steam library. If they are from a different genre it might work better. One of those could be for online/multiplayer purposes if that's your thing. The other two can be a mix between something you may like from the gameplay perspective while the other could be focused more about the story.

If you can, try to have a small number of already installed games so you can focus your energy on those. On Steam, always have the tab "Installed" open instead of "all games" or the Store page. If you are playing something that is not grabbing your attention at all then just uninstall it and be done with it. Don't make your hobby a chore, remember, it's all about the fun.

This seems like good advice. Most of my time is spent playing DotA with friends so whenever something comes out that interests me I will play a lot of it and then deviate away back towards Dota. I think my other issue is that most games I buy these days are early access games and by the time they are actually finished I am burnt out on them.

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm 100% Orange Juice is listed on the Monday Weeklong Deals but isn't actually discounted at all, except the small amount off the 4pack. I'm guessing that's the sale? Gonna wait wanna pick up another copy of the game, but I feel like it's gonna be discounted since it's on there but just has no discount.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well finally getting to the end of Dark Souls after all these years! Just need to finish the DLC side thing before I take my lord souls to the vessel.

The_Monk

How about mentioning that the spoiler is for Beyond and not HR which was the game mentioned in the post you quoted?

It was too late to me and it's a game I really, really intend to play, perhaps if it comes to the PS4 since I like Heavy Rain. Unfortunately I was not expecting at all to see Beyond spoiler in the Steam thread...
:/

Deitus

Just a bunch of personal health complications, I'm losing some money too. I also made a bad CSGO bet today, most likely will lose all of my expensive skins. FML

Just someone I thought who was a friend scammed me out of a couple hundreds that I loaned him.

That really sucks. It's one thing to lose money, but there's nothing worse than someone betraying your trust. Don't let it stop you from trusting other people though (within reason).

Personally, I'm the type of person who never trusts anyone enough to give them the opportunity to burn me, but quite honestly it's no way to live.

Hugstable

Banned
Just someone I thought who was a friend scammed me out of a couple hundreds that I loaned him.

Been there before big time and it's a shitty feeling for sure. But dude don't go blowing so many good skins and money on bets like that, it's really not worth it much of the time, and it's usually fun just to bet maybe a few cent skins everyonce in awhile but not big stuff :(. Hope you feel better, getting screwed over like that can feel like shit especially when it's someone you consider a friend.

Well finally getting to the end of Dark Souls after all these years! Just need to finish the DLC side thing before I take my lord souls to the vessel.

Awesome, The DLC is really something else and truly starts off with a bang. Such beauty in this place :D

Shadownet

Banned
That really sucks. It's one thing to lose money, but there's nothing worse than someone betraying your trust. Don't let it stop you from trusting other people though (within reason).

Personally, I'm the type of person who never trusts anyone enough to give them the opportunity to burn me, but quite honestly it's no way to live.

Eh I'm just too trusting and like to think that there is goodness in everyone. Now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do till my next paycheck and medical expenses. The other thing is that I havent talk to my best friend for a month now. He got a new girlfriend, cancelled my birthday trip to Ohio. I was so mad at him I didnt talk to him. Now we're drifting apart. You guys are literally the only people I talk to now.

Anyway. Switching back to gaming. How do you force V-synch on The Last Remnant?

But on the internet or on real life? If is the second, is still more crappy.

Real life friend. Whom I known for years.

Ac30

Did anyone else have their wallet currency suddenly switch?

Mine turned into yen a couple of weeks ago; I've lived in Canada for over 2 years now and bought multiple games with my Canadian CC; the currency in the wallet used to be USD :/ I contacted support 10 days ago and still don't have a reply... Does making multiple tickets help?

Ruruja

Anyway. Switching back to gaming. How do you force V-sync on The Last Remnant?

You have to do it in your GPU settings I believe, it didn't work for me when I activated it in AMD Catalyst Control Center though.

That's why I haven't really touched the game since I bought it, as the tearing is quite awful in that game.

Eh I'm just too trusting and like to think that there is goodness in everyone. Now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do till my next paycheck and medical expenses. The other thing is that I havent talk to my best friend for a month now. He got a new girlfriend, cancelled my birthday trip to Ohio. I was so mad at him I didnt talk to him. Now we're drifting apart. You guys are literally the only people I talk to now.

sorry to hear about that man, but ot I'd also like to know this. I stopped playing that game cause the framrate was all over the place.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

You should really be more cautious with the people you trust, if you're getting scammed left and right. Especially in games like Valve's big three that have pretty much developed into online betting games.

About the other stuff, I know it has been very difficult for you and if you ever need to talk to someone, I will be here :)

Miguel81

You have to do it in your GPU settings I believe, it didn't work for me when I activated it in AMD Catalyst Control Center though.

That's why I haven't really touched the game since I bought it, as the tearing is quite awful in that game.

Do you not use Radeonpro? That has Direct3D Vsync Tweaks.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh the last few days have been really terrible for me. Everything is going wrong.

You know what could cheer you up?

A motherfucking quality arcade controller (like madcatz te or whatever). Just the sound of it makes me iffy, and I've had such astonishingly fun gaming sessions since I bought it.

So get one if you can, play a bunch of top notch shoot 'em ups and fighting games and report back to bridge

Get a nice scotch single malt to go with it btw

The_Monk

This seems like good advice. Most of my time is spent playing DotA with friends so whenever something comes out that interests me I will play a lot of it and then deviate away back towards Dota. I think my other issue is that most games I buy these days are early access games and by the time they are actually finished I am burnt out on them.

Seems that you already have your online multiplayer fix. That is good. You should not focus on one or two single-player experiences. Having fun is the most important thing, even more important that finishing every game in your steam backlog (I'm saying this because you mentioned the Early Access titles). A good balance would be a game that can be not too long, like 8-10 hours long preferably with some chapters. Think something like Dead Space as an example. What I can do is play a chapter each time I sit down in front of my PC. If you play on a daily basis and can complete one chapter each day you can finish a similar game in a week or two.

Games likes The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us are also a good example considering you can finish one episode in a day (without craving for the next one). There are more examples, I'm just trying to give some ideas. To add a different game you can always choose a RPG which will be more content heavy but will also give you plenty to do. I advise to play a main quest here and there with 2 side-quests each day/each time you play on PC. That way, you will not feel burnt out for "overplaying" and you will keep making progress over time. I'm not sure if any of this helps, but it sure helped me focus more on my backlog while having the most fun. :)

Real life friend. Whom I known for years.
Sorry to hear that shadow :( Really sorry

Regarding The Last Remnant, I used D3DOverrider, you could try that. Or force it through the nVidia panel I guess

SSPssp

whatever fine.. I'm done..

I'm truly sorry everyone for being such a piece of shit that I expect to not have to scour the internet in order to figure out why something I just purchased isn't working..

silly me for not sticking up for companies

edit: please give me a detailed list of every website I should check out before making a purchase with my money, since that's apparently the consumer friendly thing to do

I know this is late, but I agree with you. Its been a waste of time with several e-mails back and forth with Humble on this issue.

Its up to them to provide the DLC, and if they can't provide it right away, its their responsibility to provide an explanation and an update on the page.

check this out:

"Note: Due to a complication the Soundodger+ DLC will be available shortly after the bundle ends, sorry for any inconvenience."

I must be a genius.

That would do it.

Levyne

Banned

\.[/SPOILER]

I just did it through nvidia control panel.

Vuze

Good point. I guess the question I really wanted the answer to (and what I should have asked in the first place), was if there was any noticeable streaming issues or hitching due to loading issues associated with running the game off an HDD.

But I suppose it's really not that hard to move games between harddrives, so I might as well just clear out the space.

I don't think we have a journo around who already has access to the game so it's probably hard to tell at this time. We'll see.
I'll just keep it on my HDD at first and if loading times are too long / streaming issues etc. occur, I'll move it to my SSD.

But first, the omni-present waiting game.

-

Sucks to hear man - that's why I really don't loan more than a couple of bucks to anyone. Got scammed by a "buddy" once as well. I considered it as learning it the hard way.

Ozium

I know this is late, but I agree with you. Its been a waste of time with several e-mails back and forth with Humble on this issue.

Its up to them to provide the DLC, and if they can't provide it right away, its their responsibility to provide an explanation and an update on the page.

check this out:

"Note: Due to a complication the Soundodger+ DLC will be available shortly after the bundle ends, sorry for any inconvenience."

that sentence took me 15 seconds to type and if applied to the bundle page, would alleviate the need for people to search twitter and/or clog up support staff..

I must be a genius.

JambiBum

Seems that you already have your online multiplayer fix. That is good. You should not focus on one or two single-player experiences. Having fun is the most important thing, even more important that finishing every game in your steam backlog (I'm saying this because you mentioned the Early Access titles). A good balance would be a game that can be not too long, like 8-10 hours long preferably with some chapters. Think something like Dead Space as an example. What I can do is play a chapter each time I sit down in front of my PC. If you play on a daily basis and can complete one chapter each day you can finish a similar game in a week or two.

Games likes The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us are also a good example considering you can finish one episode in a day (without craving for the next one). There are more examples, I'm just trying to give some ideas. To add a different game you can always choose a RPG which will be more content heavy but will also give you plenty to do. I advise to play a main quest here and there with 2 side-quests each day/each time you play on PC. That way, you will not feel burnt out for "overplaying" and you will keep making progress over time. I'm not sure if any of this helps, but it sure helped me focus more on my backlog while having the most fun. :)

It's not so much of a backlog thing but more of a lost interest thing. I played a ton of Divinity but eventually just stopped because I wasn't interested anymore. I think I'm just stuck waiting for things that I am actually excited for to release. I'm not one of those people that buy a ton of games during sales or anything, I just get side tracked with life and Dota and then when I decide to go back to something to finish it I realize that I don't really want to finish it. I'm hoping that changes in the next month or so with all of the new releases coming out.

Deitus

Apparently the 100% Orange Juice 4 pack is on sale this week (not a very deep discount though), but the base game is still full price. Weird.

I think trusting in the goodness in people is an admirable quality. Maybe take a few measures to protect yourself from getting scammed too badly, but it would be a real shame to lose that and become cynical about everything. I believe most people are good deep down, but I'm much too guarded to actually give anyone a chance to prove it one way or another.

But I know how it is to drift apart from your friends, and it really sucks. I've been through that so many times. You'd think it would teach me to be better at holding on to the friendships I have, but instead I've just learned not to get attached.

Hugstable

Banned
Apparently the 100% Orange Juice 4 pack is on sale this week (not a very deep discount though), but the base game is still full price. Weird.

Yup I posted about that earlier too, since I was wanting maybe just 1 or 2 copies. I'm gonna wait a bit and see maybe if the price decides to discount, if not I might just jump on the 4 pack since then it's 2.50 each, and hand 2 out to friends and will find something to do with the other 2 I guess haha. More people need this game in their life anyway.

diablogod

So I'm loving Metro 2033 Redux, but I'm getting some stuttering in the audio - the game itself is butter smooth, but the audio cuts out sporadically when things get busy. Anyone heard of this?

I was getting some stuttering and audio crackles / pops. What fixed it for me believe it or not was this taken from Sir Floppenstein from the Metro 2033 Redux Steam Technical thread:

"This sounds a lot like what I had going on with my FX-6300 @ 4.4 GHz and an R9 280X.
I found that If I quickly closed steam right after launching game, the wrecked metro car in the title screen vanishes and the stutter was heavily reduced but was still not quite as smooth as it should be. Then some righteous dude told me about unparking my cores using ParkControl https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ I just changed the two options on the left to disabled and now the stutter is gone and the game is smooth."

I did exactly what he did and my issues were solved.... Hopefully it helps with your issue.

Also the unparking cores thing is interesting I had enver heard of it until yesterday...

Levyne

Banned
how? explain this magic to me. People always say this but never state how to do it.

I don't have it installed on this computer but basically

On your taskbar tray check the nvidia icon

LXaWtnf.png

Click "manage 3d settings" Find the exe and set the setting you want.

KffFp74.png

Using a tool like Inspector gives you more options than the control panel but for something like this I think the panel is fine.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It was too late to me and it's a game I really, really intend to play, perhaps if it comes to the PS4 since I like Heavy Rain. Unfortunately I was not expecting at all to see Beyond spoiler in the Steam thread...
:/
This totally sucks! I remember something similar happening to me with Heavy Rain, in a not so old Steam thread too. Didn't realize it was a spoiler until it was too late.

It'd be nice to mention the name of the game someone's spoiling after a long chain of quotes, because it'll get lost in the confusion otherwise.

Shadownet

Banned
Get a nice scotch single malt to go with it btw
I'm not much of an alcohol man. I was born with stress induced asthma so I don't smoke or drink. (well at least I only drink once or twice a year) Trying to keep my body clean.

Sorry to hear that shadow :( Really sorry

Regarding The Last Remnant, I used D3DOverrider, you could try that. Or force it through the nVidia panel I guess

Also thanks for all the pep talks and advices guys. Its nice to know that at least I still have great friends in you all.

I have Nvidia. I'll see if I can get rid of the tearing. It's a really fun game so far but yeah the screen tearing is just terrible.

Deitus

I have Nvidia. I'll see if I can get rid of the tearing. It's a really fun game so far but yeah the screen tearing is just terrible.

Just be glad you aren't playing the Xbox version. Screen tearing, texture pop, and single digit framerate all over the place.

Is the steam client taking ages to launch games for anyone else? If I run any game's exe directly the game just opens immediately, but launching through steam takes 1-2 minutes now...

Anustart

Question about multiple monitors and gaming. Say I want to game on one screen and my girlfriend browses internet on the other. Can I disable mouse and keyboard input in say, Skyrim so it only 'sees' the controller?

Edit: Also, I want to 'flip' how the displays are extended without moving my monitors around. As it is now, I have to move right to get to the monitor that's on the left. Any way to switch this around?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not much of an alcohol man. I was born with stress induced asthma so I don't smoke or drink. (well at least I only drink once or twice a year) Trying to keep my body clean.

Well, make sure you drink something worthwhile those one or two times a year then. Like Lagavulin 16. But the whisky was a digression from my main and sound advice ;)

I really hope everything works out for you man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom