• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
CugddAy.jpg

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

LET ME PREORDER, TAKE MY MONEY

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
An i5 is fine, so I'd replace the mobo in your first build with the Z97 one from the second so that you can overclock if you eventually buy a cooler, and go for 8GB of RAM unless you're really sure you need 16. Also, consider an SSD.
Yeah, an i7 sounds like overkill, but it's so tempting... Same deal with 16GB; even if it's not cheap, it's only going to get more expensive a few months from now, so I'll be covered just in case.

To be honest, I can't imagine an SSD being that useful. They are still rather small, so it can only be used to store Windows and a bunch games, but not much more than that. I'm looking at prices right now, and they aren't quite as expensive as I thought they'd be.

I'm running a similar setup to the first one posted there and so far have been able to max out anything (except stuff like Arkham Knight, but that's hard on everyone, so...) at 1080p (main difference would be that my CPU is a 3570k OC'ed to 4.4 instead of that 4690k, but that one is even better, so, no issues there)
Not sure about that PSU though.
Argentina getting strong here :)
That's good to hear! I'm afraid of overclocking, never dared to do it even though it's probably easy and not dangerous at all when done with care. Do you think I should go with a 700W PSU instead? (a good one, of course)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
fuck I bought the Tom Clancy bundle on impulse before checking what keys they were providing. All uPlay, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah, an i7 sounds like overkill, but it's so tempting... Same deal with 16GB; even if it's not cheap, it's only going to get more expensive a few months from now, so I'll be covered just in case.

To be honest, I can't imagine an SSD being that useful. They are still rather small, so it can only be used to store Windows and a bunch games, but not much more than that. I'm looking at prices right now, and they aren't quite as expensive as I thought they'd be.

That's good to hear! I'm afraid of overclocking, never dared to do it even though it's probably easy and not dangerous at all when done with care. Do you think I should go with a 700W PSU instead? (a good one, of course)

I'd go with a quality PSU, 650-600w should be enough, but as far as I know Thermaltake PSUs aren't so good. You can find XFX or Seasonic PSUs for nice prices here and those are good.

derExperte

No. Rather buy a smaller one if it means that you can squeeze an SSD into your budget. Because honestly, a PC without one is near trash-tier in 2015.

MUnited83

For you.

600W should be enough. Maybe from a better brand, of course, but 600W is plenty. I'm running a 4690K GTX+ i5 4690K both overclocked with a 550W PSU and it works great.

Also, a SSD is very, very useful. You will know it when you have one. Get a 256GB one for the OS and some games where a SSD does offer some good advantages, and put a 1/2 TB HDD for everything else.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
meh
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 13 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

xWBm0BY.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (uPlay) -- MB-44C4F95351933511 - Taken by Henry Swanson
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Multiplayer Beta (uPlay) -- MB-0C53D4758B593579
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (uPlay) -- MB-DC300385283D4016 - Taken by TheMadMan007
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's EndWar (uPlay) -- MB-5C8A39775895B3D6 - Taken by derExperte
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (uPlay) -- MB-8EA55D74A44EEEFA - Taken by Shantom
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 Gold (Raven Shield / Athena Sword) (uPlay) -- MB-E12D8297A614DE90 - Taken by The Dear Leader
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe Edition (uPlay) -- MB-8C31DCC63F51E68A - Taken by The Dear Leader
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (uPlay) -- MB-B46FF825F50FEA19 - Taken by chronomac
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (uPlay) -- MB-BB4FFBA3CA78F605 - Taken by Henry Swanson
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (uPlay) -- MB-F4C470F6B85D9126 - Taken by lindarasta
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (uPlay) -- MB-1FFE47AE7DFF3001 - Taken by GaussTek
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (uPlay) -- MB-4FAB3F52AA1AF90C - Taken by Henry Swanson
xWBm0BY.png
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (uPlay) -- MB-48C65F3F7CB77114 - Taken by TheAutomator

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing DS2 on sale got me thinking, is there any possibility of Bloodborne coming to PC in the future?
No idea, but I'm betting Bayonetta 2 will make it first :p

I'd go with a quality PSU, 650-600w should be enough, but as far as I know Thermaltake PSUs aren't so good. You can find XFX or Seasonic PSUs for nice prices here and those are good.
Weird, I thought Thermaltake was a good brand. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around for a better one.

No. Rather buy a smaller one if it means that you can squeeze an SSD into your budget. Because honestly, a PC without one is near trash-tier in 2015.
I don't know if you are being serious or not. Is there really that much difference? I mean, with 128/256GB I couldn't fit even 1/4 of my current Steam folder, so in that aspect it'd be worthless to me. What's the best reason to get one, apart from booting up Windows faster (which I don't really care about, as I can mess around with my phone while it does)? Most PC games I've played don't take that long to load, at least that I can remember.

600W should be enough. Maybe from a better brand, of course, but 600W is plenty. I'm running a 4690K GTX+ i5 4690K both overclocked with a 550W PSU and it works great.

Also, a SSD is very, very useful. You will know it when you have one. Get a 256GB one for the OS and some games where a SSD does offer some good advantages, and put a 1/2 TB HDD for everything else.
Do games really benefit from this? Moving them around to fit the SSD sounds annoying. If it made the games run faster then I'd consider it, but if it only helps with loading times? I can deal with it, I guess. Unless it also makes textures load faster, which would be nice.

derExperte

I don't know if you are being serious or not. Is there really that much difference? I mean, with 128/256GB I couldn't fit even 1/4 of my current Steam folder, so in that aspect it'd be worthless to me. What's the best reason to get one, apart from booting up Windows faster? (which I don't really care about, as I can mess around with my phone while it does)

Literally everything is faster including surfing GAF because browser cache. Programs start up instantly, Windows not only boots up in a few seconds but is 100% responsive immediately and all the time and games will load faster even when installed on a normal harddrive because system stuff including Steam will come from the SSD. Plus there are games like BF4 which have bad level load times when not on one.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Literally everything is faster including surfing GAF because browser cache. Programs start up instantly, Windows not only boots up in a few seconds but is 100% responsive immediately and all the time and games will load faster even when installed on a normal harddrive because system stuff will come from the SSD. Plus there are games like BF4 which have bad level load times when not on an SSD.
OK, now this sounds much, much better! I'll look into it, see if I can come up with something. Now that I think about it, I have some extra cash due to selling my old 3DS to a friend last weekend, perhaps that could go towards a 256GB SSD. Damn you derExperte, I wasn't planning on getting one -.-

(thank you!)

MUnited83

For you.
No idea, but I'm betting Bayonetta 2 will make it first :p

Weird, I thought Thermaltake was a good brand. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look around for a better one.

I don't know if you are being serious or not. Is there really that much difference? I mean, with 128/256GB I couldn't fit even 1/4 of my current Steam folder, so in that aspect it'd be worthless to me. What's the best reason to get one, apart from booting up Windows faster (which I don't really care about, as I can mess around with my phone while it does)? Most PC games I've played don't take that long to load, at least that I can remember.

Do games really benefit from this? Moving them around to fit the SSD sounds annoying. If it made the games run faster then I'd consider it, but if it only helps with loading times? I can deal with it, I guess. Unless it also makes textures load faster, which would be nice.

It depends on the game, but many recent ones do benefit greatly from it. Open world games especially.
And even if you don't use it for games it is still a good investment. Windows itself and any programs are so much more quick and snappier.

def sim

I'm so used to doing whatever I want the moment Windows boots up that I'm a little bothered by other PC's or laptops that make you wait. Like, yo, what year is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom