• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?

I know that Steam Spy omits Free Weekend games because they can skew his charts, so I assume that means some people are doing it. I think I've done it once.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
3CAAsKW.jpg

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?

Sometimes I wanna try out a game that piques my interest on my rig without having to pay for it.

Uzzy

I've used it a couple of times, and it's pretty neat I guess. I don't recall if I've bought a game due to a free weekend though.

BadRamen

Evolve was the perfect weekend free game to show people "Hey you see this price for the base game, $20? That's what you should pay for the Monster Race Edition"

Cool game tho. Just you really should have all that DLC or not have the game at all.

pretty amazing how the 2nd half of the game is absolute shit and when I point that out in this forum I am told I am trolling...

also Kojima is at fault just as much as Konami, he was producer and responsible for coming in on time and on budget. He failed.

Also most of the cutscenes in the game were shown in trailers that are up to 3 years old, so what exactly was done in the last year? Jack Shit.

tons of cut shit, unresolved plot points, a second half that falls apart and tons of promised features (return to camp omega, ps4/steam box, etc.) are nowhere to be found.

Kojima = Japanese Molyneux
I'm up to chapter 40 so far.
It's disappointing that it's nothing but repeat missions with zomg hard mode
which makes it a chore to play with, with one or 2 being
story ones
and in bits and pieces too :/

I didn't watch any trailer except the quiet reveal one, and it is as you said. A real shame what they did with the cutscenes.

Hopefully they'll give a positive response regarding that. I really hope they do.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've done free weekends a few times in the last few years (most recently with Killing Floor 2) but I can't think of a single one that made me actually want to buy the game to play it more. Most of the time I end up downloading whatever it is and playing it for an hour or less and finding out that it really isn't my type of game. Usually these are the types of games without demos, so I usually just treat it like a demo.

99% of the time they're multiplayer only, and there have been very few games in that genre that I enjoy anyway, so your mileage may vary.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I FW'd Chivalry once, that was fun.

The problem is I never see the free weekend thing until Sunday 3pm Eastern.

derExperte

I played through Dead Island Riptide that way and think I bought Killing Floor 1 after one.

Of course people use the free weekend. I use it as a trial for games I might be interested in , it most likely drives sales too. I am done with COD but I try each one with the free weekend, stealth way of getting my fill for that game lol.

BadRamen

Of course people use the free weekend. I use it as a trial for games I might be interested in , it most likely drives sales too. I am done with COD but I try each one with the free weekend, stealth way of getting my fill for that game lol.

When was the last COD fw?

(I quit too but I can do a 48 hour hit every six months or two)

Lomax

The only time I used it extensively was to play Sonic racing, and it totally sold me on the game (though to be honest we never played it add much again after that weekend and probably would have been content with just the free experience). I think it's the logical evolution of the demo. It's a shame it ruins steamspy stats, because I'd also be curious how much it helps sales, but one would think it helps more than just a sale. I can't imagine a free weekend with no associated sale would help much though.

MUnited83

For you.

I'd think so. At least for multiplayer-oriented titles, I'd say it's a very good way to hook new players on.

I doubt the efficiency of it on single-player focused games like Saints Row though, especially when the story mode can be completed in a day or two.

sprinkles

I remember using it on Saints Row 3. I played 10+ hours that weekend and ended up buying it because the game was dope. So it worked (once).

Shadownet

Banned
I'm not exactly thrill with the story of The Phantom Pain, although I'm only at 28% completion.

Really wish I could get The Phantom Pain quality of gameplay with the story of Snake Eater.

MrS

Banned
pretty amazing how the 2nd half of the game is absolute shit and when I point that out in this forum I am told I am trolling...

also Kojima is at fault just as much as Konami, he was producer and responsible for coming in on time and on budget. He failed.

Also most of the cutscenes in the game were shown in trailers that are up to 3 years old, so what exactly was done in the last year? Jack Shit.

tons of cut shit, unresolved plot points, a second half that falls apart and tons of promised features (return to camp omega, ps4/steam box, etc.) are nowhere to be found.

Kojima = Japanese Molyneux
5 masterpieces. Count 'em

Nabs

Free Weekends are great ways to test out multiplayer games with friends. I don't use it as much as I'd like because they end so early on Sunday.

When was the last COD fw?

(I quit too but I can do a 48 hour hit every six months or two)

February and May. They also opened up the Blops 3 beta for people who owned COD titles on Steam. Expect a Blops 3 FW when the first DLC pack releases.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Novelist -- MB-93D301C83DB7CE0A - Taken by Hektor. 1 entrants total.
Always Sometimes Monsters -- MB-BF6C2A425F59E98A - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.

t1441933917z1.png

Ozium

5 masterpieces. Count 'em

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3

(three)
the last of which came out 11 years ago and he had someone co-writing them which is why they aren't shit

counted.

also the amount of kojma dick riding on here is astounding

Chavelo

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3

(three)
the last of which came out 11 years ago and he had someone co-writing them which is why they aren't shit

counted.

Hey, this looks like a great idea for a thread. Maybe you ought to go ahead and pos-

Oh.

Tizoc

MGS 1
MGS 2
MGS 3

(three)

counted.

I will agree that MGS1-3 are the best of the MGS series, and while I dislike the Kojima worship which can go too far sometimes with some people, Kojima's a cool dude, a little more eccentric than he should be, but he's a cool dude.
I mean come on he gave us dedicated horse poop button

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For Free Weekends with multiplayer games, often times I think it's less with getting new players (though obviously still a goal) and more just to get old players back by reminding them it's still around and now they can be good in comparison to those trying it for the first time.

Though I will say I was convinced to get Saints Row 4 due to it's free weekend.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jshackles: Not really a bug, but something I noticed and I'm not sure if it's on your end or IsThereAnyDeal's end. Go to Ninja Blade's page. See that it has been in 1 bundle. Click through to IsThereAnyDeal to see which bundle it was in. See that it was only in a bundle as a DRM Free game, not as a Steam key. Does their API not expose that data the way the page does, or is it a case where you count it anyway because you figure that's the better default behaviour?

Omega

Banned

Ended up getting Killing Floor 2 because of the free weekend. Unlike most people I don't just buy anything that slightly interests me, so it was cool to try it out to see if I liked it.

Most stuff that has a free weekend doesn't interest me, but I assume it works, otherwise no one would do them.

Already had Divekick. whoever gets it, have fun :)
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dio Brando, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Divekick -- MB-86A8D628ED0F5A44 - Taken by that omega guy

Shantom

My 2nd most played game on Steam is Awesomenauts, with over 150 hours, and I only bought that because of a free weekend.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles: Not really a bug, but something I noticed and I'm not sure if it's on your end or IsThereAnyDeal's end. Go to Ninja Blade's page. See that it has been in 1 bundle. Click through to IsThereAnyDeal to see which bundle it was in. See that it was only in a bundle as a DRM Free game, not as a Steam key. Does their API not expose that data the way the page does, or is it a case where you count it anyway because you figure that's the better default behaviour?

The only thing exposed through the API in this case is the number of bundles the game has been featured in, and the relevant link back to isthereanydeal.com

This has happened a few other times (where a game isn't given a Steam key through a bundle, such as Bloons TD 5) and more recently with the uPlay bundles.

I think the value is still relevant, regardless of whether said bundle provided a Steam copy of the game. But I can also see where having that information would be useful.

Never, ever, for eternally.
They're waste of Bandwidth for me.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

No Time to Explain Remastered -- MB-5DE1D70AF8724F11 - Taken by ExoSoul

I'm on the same boat. When a game enter a free weekend does it get automatically added to your library or you have to do it manually? If it's the latter we can have an idea trough SteamSpy of how many people download a game during the free weekend.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The only thing exposed through the API in this case is the number of bundles the game has been featured in, and the relevant link back to isthereanydeal.com

I mostly figured. I'm guessing that they don't use their own API to generate their site pages, thus when they changed the pages to indicate what kind of bundling it was, they never updated the API. Bummer. If they exposed it to you you could probably do various localized strings, like "Number of bundles game has been in: 4 (1 with Steam keys)" or whatever

Tizoc

A quickie before going to bed, enter and hope for the grace of Crom!
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Adventures of Pip -- MB-043309D640B67422 - Taken by theMrCravens. 38 entrants total.
Pix the Cat -- MB-4EB04A65D92F1BFF - Taken by Casimir. 9 entrants total.
Majesty 2 -- MB-0F709435CE83639E - Taken by SirMossyBloke. 7 entrants total.
Grim Fandango Remastered -- MB-89082C44BA86577C - Taken by someguyinahat. 55 entrants total.
Killer is Dead -- MB-257DA3D84758B0EB - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 32 entrants total.

t1441935177z1.png

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-as-King-Conan.jpg

Let me know if any links don't work if you win a game.

Arthea

That's rather odd, why you never tried even games you are interested in?

I remember trying SR4, even if it was already on my wishlist and I probably would have bought it regardless, but free weekend sealed the deal.
I also tried Endless Legend and Endless Dungeon and decided against buying both games in their current state, so it's not like free weekend always helps sales, I would have probably already bought both if not that free weekend.

zkylon

zkylewd
This was still much better:

maxresdefault.jpg
i guess, but i don't like that much either

i like the low poly 3d stuff, it just really appeals to me cos it takes me back to ps1 era which i love so much

this is how i feel with a lot of stuff. i like to explore everything, everyone else just pushes forward acting like it's a speedrun
most ppl that asked me to play with them were pretty cool with being slow and stuff so i dunno if what u say is right but i'd feel pressured u know

You don't like having arguments in your head as to who's right for a situation?
I don't either, just made the conversation go where I wanted stats to go.
well i played the first one and decided my characters were gonna have polar opposite personalities and disagree on everything so i kinda did

early on

later it was just kind of tiresome, so i stopped doing that

But OS isnt really MP oriented. Co-Op is an option in this game, but its absolutely perfectly fine playable as a singleplayer experience.

well coop is most of what i heard about divinity 2 so i duno..

Yeah, with the EE coming out later this year I was thinking "maybe I should local co-op it" but then I realized my way of playing involves a ton of save/load and that probably wouldn't be a lot of fun with others. Also yeah reading all the dialogue and books and stuff, sneaking around and stealing everything not nailed down even though I have 3 maxed stacks of gold, etc.
well i'm not so much like that but i do read most books and take my time with a lot of stuff and zone off watching at textures and crap which has been known to aggravate people

so i dunno i'd rather not subject my friends to my horrible videogame personality

It is still a very good 2D Beat'em Up though. My right thumb hurt for days after playing though the game in one long sitting.

Oh and it has Makise Kurisu character DLC, get that!
ehh i don't really agree, i didn't find it fun and ended up refunding it

the art and the silly story is kind of there but the controls and combat in general just didn't feel fun for me

ExoSoul

Banned
Extras

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ExoSoul, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shin Samurai Jazz -- MB-1ADD6236DBFEE4C3 - Taken by derExperte. 1 entrants total.
Samurai_Jazz -- MB-CCCC68692B6871F2 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.

t1441926177z1.png

Short, simple and well done retro games. Really enjoyed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom