• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Decided to break myself away from blizzard games and play Shadowrun Dragonfall, since people gush over it like Returns was shat from Satan's butthole, and I loved Returns so I'm assuming I'll love this aswell.

Anyway, what dictates your available skill slots again? I need more drones damn it!

Flt9hKQ.jpg
I cant wait to see this ending that made you into the monster you are now.

The ending made you regret youre deeds

zkylon

zkylewd
"finished"
my bad i guess

or maybe the fact that he spent 7 years on a game and kept mismanaging time and money led to him and his team being fired and the conditions that konami imposed upon him.. maybe the fact that he needed multiple delays to finish MGS4 and then spent a lot of time and money on RISING, which he was unable to do, points to the idea that he is not a good producer of content and cannot manage time or money, much like Molyneux.

Also a lot of the content of the game was shown off years ago, the prologue was demonstrated years ago in a playable state and then several years later what was there to show for those years of work? nothing

also LMAO at the bolded, Hideo's about as humble as Donald Trump
i mean, his studio developed a new multiplatform engine, released peace walker, ground zeroes, pt and worked castlevania during those 7 years. they probably worked on silent hills in some shape or form, they did much of the early work on rising (tho it wasn't directed by kojima iirc) and who knows what else

and they made mgs5

i don't see how that's not prolific

and i'd love to see the sources for all the stuff you say like time and money mismanagement and whatnot

~Kinggi~

Banned
One of these days ill get Subnautica. Seems great. They really need to expand the types of environments and make exploration more worthwhile from the comments ive seen.

FloatOn

I really want to start ground zeroes and mgs5 but I have lords of shadow 2 and the evil within already installed.... Decisions!

Dsyndrome

The question is, with all the cut content and split in the user base for MGS V, will it still win GOTY for folks? I haven't touched it, but from all the talk, I'd say no.

I was going to say stuff about perfect scores and such, but that's a rabbit hole that doesn't need to be opened here.
I really want to start ground zeroes and mgs5 but I have lords of shadow 2 and the evil within already installed.... Decisions!
The correct answer is always Witcher 3, of course.

Turfster

I'm not sure what the 3rd one is... Are you in camp Opium?

If youre anything like ozzy the good one is GZ

What's the 3 games?

This decision will LITERALLY determine the rest of your life.

I haven't played MGSV, but I've played the other 3.
The other 3 are shit.
(If MGSV is more of GZ, I'll probably also find it shit, but I'm not judging without trying it... eventually)

I feel like you need to be gifted another game. :p
Sure, threaten people =p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Adventures of Pip -- MB-043309D640B67422 - Taken by theMrCravens. 38 entrants total.
Pix the Cat -- MB-4EB04A65D92F1BFF - Taken by Casimir. 9 entrants total.
Majesty 2 -- MB-0F709435CE83639E - Taken by SirMossyBloke. 7 entrants total.
Grim Fandango Remastered -- MB-89082C44BA86577C - Taken by someguyinahat. 55 entrants total.
Killer is Dead -- MB-257DA3D84758B0EB - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 32 entrants total.

t1441935177z1.png

Ozium

Turfster doesn't like any game that requires more than one hand to play, which is why you'll usually find him praising mobile ports.

Turfster

Turfster doesn't like any game that requires more than one hand to play, which is why you'll usually find him praising mobile ports.

smh

Man, why the fuck did Valve hook the source 2 toolset into fucking Dota2, which you have to keep open in the background?

I have 2 issues with DOS2.

#1 Finding someone to play it with.
#2 Matching schedules for what could possibly be 60 hours.

This is such a big issue. It took me and my friend about two and a half months to get through Divinity Original Sin. We spent about 70 hours playing it so it averages to a reasonable one hour a day. Except that's obviously not how it works out. Something happens, someone is busy and you miss a day or three. The second half of the game took us much longer and to some extent it became somewhat painful and frustrating to just get through it. It was still a fantastic experience and playing in co-op was totally worth it but it does take some stamina and commitment to get it done.

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?

Now that I think about it, I've never really taken advantage of a free weekend either. Part of that is because my download speeds are miserable so it's rarely worth it to even try to get some of the huge games. But even if everything falls into place (like Ark Survival Evolved a couple of weeks ago), I just think to myself that it's unlikely I'm going to buy it even if it does end up being fun so why bother? On the other hand, I'm sure I've taken advantage of the price discounts on games I was interested in during free weekends and in those cases I didn't feel that I needed to try it out first.

It does work though, undoubtedly. The games usually get a ton of exposure and show up at the top of the sales charts. Evolve has managed to double it's pathetic concurrent online population on the back of the free weekend 5 days ago.

I guess maybe I'm just at the point where I don't feel compelled to try a game out before buying it now. I don't really remember playing many free demos in the last few years either. I think the last one that really sold me on a game was the Just Cause 2 demo. I had no idea what the series was about and I just tried the demo on a whim and loved it. Since then, no demo I can recall has had that effect on me.

Salsa

fuck it imma get a Moto G 2014 as a replacement for my Galaxy S3

got one on the cheap with a 32gb sd card thrown in and I rather get that than spend like 80 bucks more for a Nexus 5

also marshmallow

steamgaf y / n

edit: 2015 G expensive AF here

zkylon

zkylewd
fuck it imma get a Moto G 2014 as a replacement for my Galaxy S3

got one on the cheap with a 32gb sd card thrown in and I rather get that than spend like 80 bucks more for a Nexus 5

also marshmallow

steamgaf y / n

edit: 2015 G expensive AF here

i think im gonna buy that one too

i was thinking of getting a s3 to replace my very shitty xperia but that one sounds nicer

i wonder if it can run fallout shelter

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The G is probably the best phone at that price point and Motorolla thankfully doesn't mess with Android at all.

You'll wish the version you're buying had the RAM of the latest model, but it isn't that big of a deal.

yea man xenoverse is fire, i wonder what will they do with the sequel story wise. Maybe cover the movies next time?

My prediction? Additions like transformable characters via power-up (Super Saiyan, etc) or stuff like Frieza's race and Cell's race, playable Androids, and an open storyline where you fight to restore or destroy the timeline, with or against the Time Patrol; in an opposing group of some sort... probably called the Singularity Patrol.

It'll be glorious! A GOAT if there ever was one.
PL4v3.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
The G is probably the best phone at that price point and Motorolla thankfully doesn't mess with Android at all.

You'll wish the version you're buying had the RAM of the latest model, but it isn't that big of a deal.

cool

it will, but more importantly it will run record keeper.
ohh that sounds nice

i mostly want it to not constantly reboot/freeze like my current shitty phone

My prediction? Additions like transformable characters via power-up (Super Saiyan, etc) or stuff like Frieza's race and Cell's race, playable Androids, and an open storyline where you fight to restore or destroy the timeline, with or against the Time Patrol; in an opposing group of some sort... probably called the Singularity Patrol.

It'll be glorious! A GOAT if there ever was one.
PL4v3.gif

i hope they remove at least one of the rngs. i understand that xenoverse is designed to have the missions played mutliple times but rng on top of rng... cmon son, thats something you make to just screw the player over. I hope next game everyone has some kind of transformations, like if a cell race does exist(which wouldn't make much sense since cell is an android) the default one(that you make) looks like a bug and the evo is perfect more humanoid and majin goes to kid form. also i hope that the majin's defense bonus gets tied to their ki instead of their stamina like how it originally was supposed to. their defense bonus is trash since it relies on stamina which you need for practically everything.

Well, there is the new Dragon Ball Super series that's out already. I think it's up to episode 9 or 10.

yea but like you said, only 9 eps. I'd assume that xenoverse 2 would be about the 2 canon and non canon movies and if a 3rd one happens, if super is done by that time, it will be about the 3rd(and only original arc) in Super.

Salsa

yeah 1GB became an issue on the S3 and it's why Im even considering payin more for the Nexus 5 but ehh

$80 for 1 more gig of ram basically

seems silly

im sure reason why the S3 sucked at 1gig is cause I was running 4.3. jumping to lollipop and eventually marshmallow should be nice.

no removable battery is the only other bummer

BUT

that comes with the benefit of the back being sealed and 1mt water submersible for like 30 mins apparently

and I dropped the S3 on the toilet and broke it that way 2 times

so ey

I can no longer be afraid of toilets

An-Det

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?

I'd say so, it's how I got on Steam in the first place. There was a free weekend of Left 4 Dead 1 in spring 2009, and since I liked the demo on my friend's 360 I tried it out and spent the whole weekend playing. As soon as the semester ended I went out and bought L4D and The Orange Box (boxed copies of both from Amazon, lol), added them to my Steam account, and never looked back.

I still use them occasionally for stuff I'm curious about, although it's bit me in the ass a few times since they end on Sundays for some reason.

Jawmuncher

Careful, man. One of my best-performing Nethack characters got killed by the wrath of Crom. (I was desperate and thought I could get away with another prayer.) So he doesn't take shit from people with frivolous prayers.

I knew you were crom's favorite. Guess he figured you learned your lesson.

i hope they remove at least one of the rngs. i understand that xenoverse is designed to have the missions played mutliple times but rng on top of rng... cmon son, thats something you make to just screw the player over. I hope next game everyone has some kind of transformations, like if a cell race does exist(which wouldn't make much sense since cell is an android) the default one(that you make) looks like a bug and the evo is perfect more humanoid and majin goes to kid form. also i hope that the majin's defense bonus gets tied to their ki instead of their stamina like how it originally was supposed to. their defense bonus is trash since it relies on stamina which you need for practically everythig.

IIRC Xenoverse was pretty much a desperate attempt to recover something from the now-dead (Asian-exclusive) Dragonball MMO that crashed and burned over there. It's where several of the concepts in Xenoverse came from--a majin race, time travel as a core gameplay concept, post-DBGT setting, etc--and I think Androids were a playable race there. They could easily explain away a Cell's race away somehow, just like they did Majins (Buu was lonely so he made company.)

But, really, there's so much potential for that formula that whatever they add should be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom