• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mostly figured. I'm guessing that they don't use their own API to generate their site pages, thus when they changed the pages to indicate what kind of bundling it was, they never updated the API. Bummer. If they exposed it to you you could probably do various localized strings, like "Number of bundles game has been in: 4 (1 with Steam keys)" or whatever

I'll see if I can talk to their developers and find out if that data could be included, because I agree with you that would be pretty nice. Especially since we're starting to see quite a few bundles without Steam keys.

Arthea

wait a second, you are complaining about Phantom Breaker controls? That's preposterous even for you, zky, controls are responsive and fine.

L.O.R.D

meanwhile at SE :

nt989iX.jpg

https://twitter.com/SquareEnixMtl/status/642056963224956928

zkylon

zkylewd
after watching the quicklook the guy from blues and bullets being vo'd by geralt is just a huge problem for me

like the second i heard his voice i recognized it and was like, ok game i'm never gonna play you

wait a second, you are complaining about Phantom Breaker controls? That's preposterous even for you, zky, controls are responsive and fine.
i dont like em

also i resent ur comment, i don't dress up my opinions but i always have give a reason for them

and i actually did feel the combat was kind of laggy so i dunno

Jawmuncher

A quickie before going to bed, enter and hope for the grace of Crom!

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-as-King-Conan.jpg

Let me know if any links don't work if you win a game.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me Grim Fandango Remastered! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

FloatOn

Who doesn't have dark souls and will actually play it?

First person to say so will get it.

My love for souls is this strong.

Arthea

i dont like em

also i resent ur comment, i don't dress up my opinions but i always have give a reason for them

your reason is "I don't like them" (what? why? controls are fine), "I don't agree", not kya (or whatever word you are using) enough, the hell that even means? these are not reasons.

I'm not sure about your laggy comment, not laggy for me. That could be the reason, but again it's not laggy, so IDK.

feel free to resent it even further

http://i.imgur.com/UFp3e4l.jpg[/IMG

uhhh ok.[/QUOTE]

both? that sucks, seriously

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me Grim Fandango Remastered! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Careful, man. One of my best-performing Nethack characters got killed by the wrath of Crom. (I was desperate and thought I could get away with another prayer.) So he doesn't take shit from people with frivolous prayers.

Nabs

after watching the quicklook the guy from blues and bullets being vo'd by geralt is just a huge problem for me

like the second i heard his voice i recognized it and was like, ok game i'm never gonna play you

i dont like em

Might a technical issue. The game is pretty responsive.

zkylon

zkylewd
your reason is "I don't like them" (what? why? controls are fine), "I don't agree", not kya (or whatever word you are using) enough, the hell that even means? these are not reasons.

I'm not sure about your laggy comment, not laggy for me. That could be the reason, but again it's not laggy, so IDK.

feel free to resent it even further
i didn't like having to learn a billion buttons and read through 40 pages of tutorials for a really repetitive and grindy game that wasn't even much fun in the first place, so i happily thanked steam refunds for existing and got my money back

i can't remember exactly what was it about the responsiveness that annoyed me, i think it was turn speed or some shit like that, but it just didn't do shit for me. i played other similar brawly games and enjoyed them a lot, and i really liked the artstyle on this one, but what can i say, it bored me so quick i actually got to refund it

whatever, i never get why you feel the need to be a dick to defend the games you like

Might a technical issue. The game is pretty responsive.
could be, like i said i returned it real quick so i don't remember 100% what my issue was and i could be mistaken about the lagginess

i do remember really not liking the controls, specially how shitty the tutorials were for the crazy amount of controls i had to try and remember. i beat a few levels and tried a few characters but found myself mashing more than anything and then figured i'd rather just return that crap and move on with my life

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?

i bought sonic and all stars racing transformed because i played it in a free weekend , never paid attention to the game before that and ended up liking it a lot

I've been on Steam for like 8 years or whatever and I've never used a free weekend for anything, even stuff I'm interested in. Do people actually do the free weekend thing? Is it useful as a player? Does it actually work to drive sales?
I meant to try out many games on those free weekends but only played two so far; ARK and H-Hour. Both I was interested but the pressuring of limited time made me not enjoy either and generally have bad effects.

Compared to the demos I played (Shooting with Rifles, Dying Light) it's a bad ad method. Demos give me more flexibility and made me like the games more.
Hey guys, I see that Dark Souls Prepare Edition is on a 75% discount. Is the PC superior to the XBOX360 one?
Yes. You will have even more fun by using DSFix (free mod/tweak) which enables using tons of other cool mods.
Wishlisted, very fast. I'm a happy panda to see this time :)
Guys, since you are so beautiful and I trust your opinions that much, would you mind giving me a little piece of advice on a new PC I'm looking to build? I know there's a separate thread for that, but I think you are smarter and funnier (don't tell them that, though!)

I have two rigs in mind. These are the specs for the weakest one:
- CPU: Intel i5 4690K 3.5GHz, 6M cache
- Graphics card: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 4GB
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Q87M-D2H
- RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3 8GB 1866 (16GB total)
- Case: Thermaltake Versa I Black, 600W PSU
- Monitor: LG 23" 23MP55HQ-P
- HDD: WD Caviar Green SATA3 2TB

And this is the best one I can (barely) afford:
- CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4GHz, 8M cache
- Graphics card: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 4GB
- Motherboard: Asus Z97-E/USB3.1
- RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3 8GB 1866 (16GB total)
- Case: Thermaltake Versa I Black, 600W PSU
- Monitor: LG 23" 23MP55HQ-P
- HDD: 2x WD Caviar Green SATA3 2TB (4TB total, maybe put them in RAID 0?)

I know the Caviar Green HDDs are slow, but a Caviar Black of a similar capacity is way too expensive. I'd rather go with more storage size than speed here.

I'm not going to post prices because they are crazy expensive in Argentina, so there's really no point comparing the cost here with that from other (better) countries. What I'd like to know is if any of these PCs are good enough to justify spending so much, and if you think they'll last me a while (maybe not at max graphical settings, but at least with a decent performance at 1080p).
On a quick glance I see CPU and MOBO being big differences. i5 is plenty enough for gaming for the foreseeable future and a "Z" MOBO is advised when you plan on overclocking your CPU which is again of questionable value since putting that money into GPU will give you better performance gains, so I'd say go with build number 1.
Humble Super Slam Showdown bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds
  • Stardust Vanguards
  • No Time to Explain Remastered
TIER 2: BTA
  • DIvekick
  • Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball
TIER 3: 7$
  • Sportsfriends
Weeeeelllll, color me interested. BTA is at 2,63€. Hm, hhhmmmm.
That Discoball.
Preposterous! Someone should junior that poster!
--- WARNING ::: LONG POST ::: WARNING ---
What a loco
:p

zkylon

zkylewd
Before clicking it i already knew it was ozzy, he went off on a rant last night about his hate for the game, it was hilarious

They closed his thread, why the mods trying to silence my boy ozzy? :'(

well it is a very dumb and mistaken idea for a thread

as in, all games get content cut, all developers/publishers overpromise but kojima actually makes good games that are pretty groundbreaking to this day

if anything the fact that he masqueraded mgs5 as actually being another game by a swedish company and did the whole bandages man stunt is probably proof enough that, unlike peter molyneux, kojima continues to be super relevant to this day

doesn't mean it's not worth criticizing that kojima or konami or whatever put fucking microtransactions and like waiting game stuff in fucking metal gear but you know, apples and oranges and shit

Jawmuncher

as in, all games get content cut, all developers/publishers overpromise but kojima actually makes good games that are pretty groundbreaking to this day

if anything the fact that he masqueraded mgs5 as actually being another game by a swedish company and did the whole bandages man stunt is probably proof enough that, unlike peter molyneux, kojima continues to be super relevant to this day

doesn't mean it's not worth criticizing that kojima or konami or whatever put fucking microtransactions and like waiting game stuff in fucking metal gear but you know, apples and oranges and shit

Still the Peter Molyneux stands too a point. Kojima promised a lot for MGSV and didn't deliver on them(I still enjoyed the game). Just like Molyneux is known to do.
So I can understand the frustration people are having. That's most of the talk in the spoil thread.

MUnited83

For you.

One thing is having content cut, other thing is cutting the fucking ending out, as well as several things Kojima said himselft that would be in. It's an incomplete game. While Molyneux is a whole another level, it's not a matter of "microtransactions or waiting game" stuff at all. Kojima promised a lot of stuff for MGSV and didn't deliver. That's pretty much Molyneux to a T. Kojima couldn't even finish the game properly.

Ozium

this statement is completely false and only serves as a meme for kojima apologists

Nintendo overpromises? Naughty Dog does? CDPR?

zkylon

zkylewd
Still the Peter Molyneux stands too a point. Kojima promised a lot for MGSV and didn't deliver on them(I still enjoyed the game). Just like Molyneux is known to do.
So I can understand the frustration people are having. That's most of the talk in the spoil thread.
maybe, but i think the konami military regime under which mgs5 was made provides like really good context for why it may be underwhelming or whatever (i didn't follow much of the release of the game and only seen bits of my brother playing it). it's not like perfect excuse or whatever but it's a different situation

like, kojima is a much more humble dude than molyneux, he still made mostly a good, finished game, which may have had issues but it's still really fun to play (unlike i godus or whatever), and he didn't promise to change people's lives or asked for a kickstarter and misused the money or anything like that

One thing is having content cut, other thing is cutting the fucking ending out, as well as several things Kojima said himselft that would be in. It's an incomplete game. While Molyneux is a whole another level, it's not a matter of "microtransactions or waiting game" stuff at all. Kojima promised a lot of stuff for MGSV and didn't deliver. That's pretty much Molyneux to a T. Kojima couldn't even finish the game properly.
i mean, the konami debacle thingie gives a lot of context to me for how the game may have been rushed or unfinished, but sure, the game's unfinished

you can ignore the context and blame obsidian for kotor 2 or alpha protocol, but ignoring the role of lucasarts and sega in those games is not looking at the whole picture

there are also other differences with godus or the big games peter molyneux has made as i've said above

this statement is completely false and only serves as a meme for kojima apologists

Nintendo overpromises? Naughty Dog does? CDPR?
i mean, to a lot of people cdpr did with the whole downgrade shit and underdelivered, i hear uncharted 3 is pretty crap and nintendo is fucking weird lol

like i said already, that's not an excuse for the game to be underwhelming, but kojima can be criticized without talking about peter molyneux who has nothing to do with him outside of your thirst for riling up people

MUnited83

For you.
maybe, but i think the konami military regime under which mgs5 was made provides like really good context for why it may be underwhelming or whatever (i didn't follow much of the release of the game and only seen bits of my brother playing it). it's not like perfect excuse or whatever but it's a different situation

like, kojima is a much more humble dude than molyneux, he still made mostly a good, finished game, which may have had issues but it's still really fun to play (unlike i godus or whatever), and he didn't promise to change people's lives or asked for a kickstarter and misused the money or anything like that

"finished"

Ozium

or maybe the fact that he spent 7 years on a game and kept mismanaging time and money led to him and his team being fired and the conditions that konami imposed upon him.. maybe the fact that he needed multiple delays to finish MGS4 and then spent a lot of time and money on RISING, which he was unable to even get to a playable state, points to the idea that he is not a good producer of content and cannot manage time or money, much like Molyneux.

Also a lot of the content of the game was shown off years ago, the prologue was demonstrated years ago in a playable state and then several years later what was there to show for those years of work? nothing

also LMAO at the bolded, Hideo's about as humble as Donald Trump

Adnor

Banned

I don't even notice when there's a free weekend because my library only shows the games I have installed.

derExperte

Made when the dude not have any media to making promise instead content that he promised

Well let me tell you about magazines on paper that we had before the internet, my young whippersnapper. Wouldn't surprise me if he spread some bullshit in interviews back in the 80s already. I remember him lying about the features that would be in Hi-Octane like changing tracks. Still waiting for that patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom