• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockdude

Oh man MK vs SF3, good times. A video like that deserves to be watched in its original uncompressed flash form.

Fortunately that sort of fighting game craziness is possible today, in Smash Bros
Project M Turbo Mode TAS
indie2.png

To infinity and beyond!
(Apparently not as bad as it looks.)
That's a lot of games. Wonder how it looks with a logarithmic scale lol.

Purkake4

Banned
Hey SteamGAF. This is not Steam related but I didn't find a better thread for this and I love SteamGAF sooo.

I got duped by a bunch of "friends" on another forum about the GOG Gamble thing. I'm a bit too fond of gamble sales in general so I guess I'm an easy target :p
They said that most of my wishlist games were in the Pinata thing, and checking the GOG forum seemed to indicate the same. I don't know if it's just all lies or if GOG really has a handful of copies of those games in there in the beginning but whatevs.
Anyway, I bought... a bunch (10) since I hadn't bought games for a long while... And got 10 duplicate games. Meaning I have a code with 10 games that I already own and just spend 30 dollars on nothing at all. I'm so stupid it hurts.

The games:

The Last Federation
FTL: Advanced Edition
Dust: An Elysian Tail
1954 Alcatraz
Blackwell Bundle
Aarklash: Legacy
Eador. Masters of the Broken World
Randal's Monday
The Book Of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

The code is for ALL of the games. It's just one single code... for some reason.

I tried lurking here and PMing the people speaking about the GOG sale but no one had the games in my little collection on their wishlist and one kind member said that I should try a ModBot giveaway instead to perhaps find a better home for the games. So here goes. I hope it's okay.
Sorry about that, I'll do my best to play them.

Vlad

Oh god... You're playing with mouse and keyboard...

dude people figured out it was a bad port months before it was released

buy a controller or don't try to play games like that

don't pretend you're giving serious critique when you choose to play a game the way it's meant to be played

and before we go into like ON PC EVERYTHING SHOULD BE PLAYABLE WITH MOUSE & KEYBOARD!! let's all remember that this is a console game exclusive for ps3 and 360 that bamco "kindly" ported after a billion years of ppl crying about it on the internet.

so it's not really ideal for playing with a mouse and keyboard, it doesn't fit its gameplay and clearly from and bamco didn't give a shit to fix it so it does. they tried in dark souls 2 but who knew, action games are not very much fun with a controller, so it's still shit with m&k

just buy a controller dude pls

Store page:
VQiMaNR.png
You were warned.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO BUY A CONTROLLER

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'll be buying a controller for one game, just because the developers can't figure out how to make the controls work for the system that it's on. This isn't exactly a flight simulator here. Hell, I didn't even know Microsoft was making a version of their Xbox controller for windows until about five minutes ago.

As far as the warning on the store page goes, I didn't even notice it. I just saw someone in this thread mention that the game was on sale for five bucks, and I jumped in on it. I wasn't expecting to require specialized hardware.

And yes, everything on PC should be playable with a mouse and keyboard, unless it's somehow literally 100% impossible. Every other developer seems to overcome that particular hurdle just fine, aside from not changing the on-screen prompts.

Turfster

Fck the internet, MGS V spoiler is everywhere.
I really should hurry up my story progression before it's too late...

I haven't been spoiled on anything so far, and I internet all day!

One of the best PnC's out there.
That fucking goat...

Does nuuvem look up your Paypal account now or something? Cant buy XCOM 2, even with VPN. I always get this message after loggin into Paypal and confirming the purchase:
It seems they've been doing that to me since the moment I got an account with them.
I've *never* been able to buy anything off them.

I completed the main mission of Ground Zeroes yesterday.
No alarms, but still got C rank

GZ scoring is garbage.
The faster you do something, the higher your score, no matter what happened.

Shadow of Moredoors is 75% off in some regions (the Americas, apparently? fuck Europe, amirite, ubi?) on the Ubi store

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'll be buying a controller for one game, just because the developers can't figure out how to make the controls work for the system that it's on. This isn't exactly a flight simulator here. Hell, I didn't even know Microsoft was making a version of their Xbox controller for windows until about five minutes ago.

As far as the warning on the store page goes, I didn't even notice it. I just saw someone in this thread mention that the game was on sale for five bucks, and I jumped in on it. I wasn't expecting to require specialized hardware.

And yes, everything on PC should be playable with a mouse and keyboard, unless it's somehow literally 100% impossible. Every other developer seems to overcome that particular hurdle just fine, aside from not changing the on-screen prompts.

I entirely agree with you.Dark Souls has some serious problems and essentially requiring a controller is unfathomable. The port itself is beyond unacceptable. Being tied to GFWL is insanity.

But

play Dark Souls. It's unlike anything else out there. There is simply no substitute for that series' sheer audacity and cunningness. It will challenge you unlike any other game out there, demanding things of you that seem crazy, and slapping you in the face at every glorious chance it gets. It is a game one must not simply experience but persevere. It prides itself in being dense, mysterious, and enigmatic, and succeeds in every way possible; it is a triumph in game design and something that you simply cannot afford to miss. Even the dreaded invasions add to Dark Souls' mystique.

Play Dark Souls 2 as well. It's more of this goodness. Perhaps don't start on the Scholars edition because it ramps up the difficulty even more.

You can't just lay down and die--Dark Souls will teach you this.
Oh man MK vs SF3, good times. A video like that deserves to be watched in its original uncompressed flash form.

Fortunately that sort of fighting game craziness is possible today, in Smash Bros
Project M Turbo Mode TAS

That's a lot of games. Wonder how it looks with a logarithmic scale lol.
Can't believe I lost that dude's videos for several years, when all I had to search now was Akuma vs. Scorpion (wrong dude). The Internet really is amazing.

And that Project M video is... closer that I wouldn't thought, wow.

Turfster

GOG got me good.
Tried 2 of their stupid pinatas because it's a sunny day for a change, got FTL and Spelunky, aka stuff I already have 3 times.
I'm done.

It's not like I could have won Republique or Dreamfall Chapters anyway with my luck.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That GOG Pinata thing is pretty dangerous stuff.
Fortune has smiled upon me, though. Got the Gods Will Be Watching SE and Aarklash: Legacy. Had interest in both. Not bad for 5,40.

Here's hoping Steam never does something like this. (please do)

Amzin

While I agree their KB/M setup is horrendous, I've had a wired 360 controller I picked up for like $20 years ago and fully half the amazing games I've played on Steam this year were more enjoyable with a controller. Some games just are more friendly to that style. Even if DS had fixed their prompts it would never have felt the same with KB/M as a controller.

Unless you just don't like platformers and 3rd-person games and racers and a few other genres, you really should get a controller on the cheap if you're a serious PC gamer :p

Vlad

I entirely agree with you.Dark Souls has some serious problems and essentially requiring a controller is unfathomable. The port itself is beyond unacceptable. Being tied to GFWL is insanity.

But

play Dark Souls. It's unlike anything else out there. There is simply no substitute for that series' sheer audacity and cunningness. It will challenge you unlike any other game out there, demanding things of you that seem crazy, and slapping you in the face at every glorious chance it gets. It is a game one must not simply experience but persevere. It prides itself in being dense, mysterious, and enigmatic, and succeeds in every way possible; it is a triumph in game design and something that you simply cannot afford to miss. Even the dreaded invasions add to Dark Souls' mystique.

Play Dark Souls 2 as well. It's more of this goodness. Perhaps don't start on the Scholars edition because it ramps up the difficulty even more.

You can't just lay down and die--Dark Souls will teach you this.

On the plus side, I don't think the GFWL stuff is in there any more, if it's the same stuff that's still in GTAIV. I didn't have any of the same issue with Dark Souls that I did with GTAIV, so yay for a point in Dark Souls' favor, finally.

See, all that stuff you mentioned? That's all the things I'd heard people mention about the game, and it's what I was really excited about going in, but the absolute shoddiness of the port really turned me off more than anything else, and I'm not usually that picky about that sort of thing. I think the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to let you access the key bindings in-game was the topper for me. Port a game without bothering to tweak the button prompts I'll begrudgingly deal with if the game's worth it, but don't make it possible for me to reference the controls in-game and that saps my patience.

Is Dark Souls 2 on the PC handled better?

Grief.exe

The port is significantly better out of the gate, if not nearly perfect. As for the mouse controls, they are, again, significantly better but From is attempting to transmit a control system inherently attached to analog control to a purely digital system.

Evangelism is a dangerous thing. But if anything deserves it, it's Dark Souls.
On the plus side, I don't think the GFWL stuff is in there any more, if it's the same stuff that's still in GTAIV. I didn't have any of the same issue with Dark Souls that I did with GTAIV, so yay for a point in Dark Souls' favor, finally.

See, all that stuff you mentioned? That's all the things I'd heard people mention about the game, and it's what I was really excited about going in, but the absolute shoddiness of the port really turned me off more than anything else, and I'm not usually that picky about that sort of thing. I think the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to let you access the key bindings in-game was the topper for me. Port a game without bothering to tweak the button prompts I'll begrudgingly deal with if the game's worth it, but don't make it possible for me to reference the controls in-game and that saps my patience.

I know what you mean about Dark Souls 1. It took me months before I ever really dug into it. I, too, was disturbed by the port and controls. But I eventually gave in and loved it. It would be possible to memorise the bizarre KB&M controls, but you will definitely reach some areas that will be nigh impossible without the analog movements of a controller. And you'll really want to jump easily.

Now, for Dark Souls 2, aside from the controller recommendation, is a master class port. They really outdid themselves with that one--performs well and looks great, highly scalable, etc. The Scholars redux went even further, adding DX11 stuff (it's basically a remastered version). Best of all the online stuff works like a charm, and is a huge part of the game. It's another glorious chapter in the Dark Souls series.

Vlad

While I agree their KB/M setup is horrendous, I've had a wired 360 controller I picked up for like $20 years ago and fully half the amazing games I've played on Steam this year were more enjoyable with a controller. Some games just are more friendly to that style. Even if DS had fixed their prompts it would never have felt the same with KB/M as a controller.

Unless you just don't like platformers and 3rd-person games and racers and a few other genres, you really should get a controller on the cheap if you're a serious PC gamer :p

I'm not much into racers, and If I was I'd definitely get a controller or a wheel (although kudos to the Trackmania guys for making a racer that's perfectly playable with a keyboard), but platformers and 3rd person games? Those are completely playable with a keyboard. I haven't hit a platformer on Steam yet where I've felt that playing on a keyboard was holding me back, and anything in 3rd person would just use the standard mouselook+WASD controls, right? Thinking back on my runs through GTAIV and Just Cause 2, I actually can't imagine playing those WITH a controller. It's just so much more precise to aim and shoot with a mouse.

Not just Dark Souls, but I seriously recommend getting a controller of some sort. Hell, I'm using my Dual Shock 3 wired up. I would rather be repeatedly punched in the dick than play DS with KB/M.

The big plus for PC is you can play with whatever input works best. Some games (um...Dark Souls being one) are just flat out more enjoyable with a controller.

The game is not 'unplayable' with KB/M. It's just shit. There is a big different.

Vlad

Evangelism is a dangerous thing. But if anything deserves it, it's Dark Souls.

I'm sure we've all got games we're like that about. I'll talk anybody's ear off about the godliness that is SpaceChem.

The port is significantly better out of the gate, if not nearly perfect. As for the mouse controls, they are, again, significantly better but From is attempting to transmit a control system inherently attached to analog control to a purely digital system.

I know what you mean about Dark Souls 1. It took me months before I ever really dug into it. I, too, was disturbed by the port and controls. But I eventually gave in and loved it. It would be possible to memorise the bizarre KB&M controls, but you will definitely reach some areas that will be nigh impossible without the analog movements of a controller. And you'll really want to jump easily.

See, that's what I'm not following. Correct me if I'm wrong, here, but aren't the analog sticks just used for movement and camera control? Well, camera control is superior on a mouse any day of the week anyway, so that's sorted. As far as movement goes, exactly what makes the analog controls superior in Dark Souls' case? What is it that you need to do that can't be done with a mouse camera and WASD?

Now, for Dark Souls 2, aside from the controller recommendation, is a master class port. They really outdid themselves with that one--performs well and looks great, highly scalable, etc. The Scholars redux went even further, adding DX11 stuff (it's basically a remastered version). Best of all the online stuff works like a charm, and is a huge part of the game. It's another glorious chapter in the Dark Souls series.

Well, I'm not really concerned about playing online, really. Usually by the time I finish most games' single-player campaign I'm kind of done and never bother getting into the online component. But it sounds like the controller situation is the same in DS2 as far as prompts and such?

Deitus

I think the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to let you access the key bindings in-game was the topper for me. Port a game without bothering to tweak the button prompts I'll begrudgingly deal with if the game's worth it, but don't make it possible for me to reference the controls in-game and that saps my patience.

You can access key bindings in game, you just need to figure out how to access the menu (which is completely unintuitive). I believe the End key is used to bring up the menu by default, and then you have to use the arrow keys to navigate it.

This game was designed to be used with a controller, and they did a half-assed job implementing Keyboard controls, because they literally knew nothing about PC gaming. But hey, PC gamers got a chance to experience an awesome game, and it's still superior to the console version when you play with a controller, so it's still a net positive. Please, for your own sanity, play this game with a controller. If you choose to play with a keyboard, look up some guides, because they are out there, and will save you a lot of hair pulling.

Also, you mentioned earlier that you quit out using Alt+F4. Don't do that. You'll potentially corrupt your save file since the game auto-saves every few seconds. Always quit out from the menu.

Spyware

It's not like I could have won Republique or Dreamfall Chapters anyway with my luck.
Those are two of the games on my wishlist that I was duped into thinking they're in there. So why did I get 10 duplicate games instead of games like that? Either people are lying about getting them or the copies are extremely few and "rare" so the "prioritizing games you don't own" thing doesn't even care about them. Buying 10 pinatas should not result in 10 duplicate games if there are games in the pool that you don't own. Grr.

Vlad

The big plus for PC is you can play with whatever input works best. Some games (um...Dark Souls being one) are just flat out more enjoyable with a controller.

What would be some others, in your opinion? I'm starting to think I'm just weird or something, since I learned today that apparently using a controller on a PC is some sort of common thing. I've played through my fair share of PC games and I've never once found a keyboard and mouse to be insufficient. Maybe I've just gotten lucky so far.

Does someone know how to effectively compress files (photos and videos) on windows?
With winrar usually the size is the same. On ubuntu I know there the tar zcv command that actually compress stuff.

MUnited83

For you.
Those are two of the games on my wishlist that I was duped into thinking they're in there. So why did I get 10 duplicate games instead of games like that? Either people are lying about getting them or the copies are extremely few and "rare" so the "prioritizing games you don't own" thing doesn't even care about them. Buying 10 pinatas should not result in 10 duplicate games if there are games in the pool that you don't own. Grr.

Well, yah, of course they are extremely rare, otherwise GOG wouldn't be making much money :p. Vast majority of the games will of course be games that were already discount hundreds of times or bundled over in over. Really scummy of GOG to not have a warning in case you already own something though.

Deitus

Well, I'm not really concerned about playing online, really. Usually by the time I finish most games' single-player campaign I'm kind of done and never bother getting into the online component. But it sounds like the controller situation is the same in DS2 as far as prompts and such?

Dark Souls' single player is online. Unless you deliberately play in offline mode, you will potentially encounter other players while playing the campaign. There isn't a separate multiplayer mode.

Dsyndrome

What would be some others, in your opinion? I'm starting to think I'm just weird or something, since I learned today that apparently using a controller on a PC is some sort of common thing. I've played through my fair share of PC games and I've never once found a keyboard and mouse to be insufficient. Maybe I've just gotten lucky so far.

The new King's Quest, definitely. Also, Mega Man Legacy Collection. And of course, everyone's favorite, Super Meatboy.

zkylon

zkylewd

alright then all your comment is just as useful as that "controller strongly recommended" disclaimer at the store page

Vlad

You can access key bindings in game, you just need to figure out how to access the menu (which is completely unintuitive). I believe the End key is used to bring up the menu by default, and then you have to use the arrow keys to navigate it.

This game was designed to be used with a controller, and they did a half-assed job implementing Keyboard controls, because they literally knew nothing about PC gaming. But hey, PC gamers got a chance to experience an awesome game, and it's still superior to the console version when you play with a controller, so it's still a net positive. Please, for your own sanity, play this game with a controller. If you choose to play with a keyboard, look up some guides, because they are out there, and will save you a lot of hair pulling.

Also, you mentioned earlier that you quit out using Alt+F4. Don't do that. You'll potentially corrupt your save file since the game auto-saves every few seconds. Always quit out from the menu.

Wow, "End" for the menu? I had already requested a refund and uninstalled the game, and that just helps re-cement the decision. I get all the love for the game, and if I already had a controller, this would all be a non-issue, but at this point I'm just annoyed even giving $5 for such a terrible port job.

IMO, Racers and TPS are Controller all the way for me. Just feels more natural. I can't imagine playing MGS with KB/M.

I did JC2 with KB/M for a while, but after switching to controller I couldn't go back.

DS2 Scholar of the first Sin upgrade for $9.99

fertygo

3rd person hack-n-slash usually very miserable to play with KB+Mouse.

As an added bonus, with a controller you can play the sublime Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which is one of the best games of 2014.
I'm sure we've all got games we're like that about. I'll talk anybody's ear off about the godliness that is SpaceChem.

See, that's what I'm not following. Correct me if I'm wrong, here, but aren't the analog sticks just used for movement and camera control? Well, camera control is superior on a mouse any day of the week anyway, so that's sorted. As far as movement goes, exactly what makes the analog controls superior in Dark Souls' case? What is it that you need to do that can't be done with a mouse camera and WASD?

...I hate SpaceChem. It scares and confuses me.

But, anyways, the analog movement is key because there will be situations where you need precise control over your movement. It's possible with the arrow keys or WASD or whatever, but far easier with the analog stick. We're talking walks through treacherous and narrow areas where one mistake is death. Jumping is of similar import, mostly due to how wonky it is to use in Dark Souls 1 and how precisely timed it must be to succeed.

For Dark Souls 2, I think that they prompts all work fine for either control method. They serioously cleaned up the problems from the first game, probably due to how well it performed on PC. But you'll need similar precision for areas in DS2.

And seriously, play online if you can. It changes everything and is an integral part of the game, not just through invasions but the messages system as well. You will want those messages, and any co-op buddies you can summon. It's part of why Dark Souls works the way it does; it really legitimised the "always online social connection" some games have.

Vlad

The new King's Quest, definitely. Also, Mega Man Legacy Collection. And of course, everyone's favorite, Super Meatboy.

I've only played Super Meat Boy out of the three of those, and like I said earlier, I never felt like I was losing something by playing with a keyboard. While I didn't 100% the game, I did beat it, and the levels I didn't beat were more of a lack of my own skill than any shortcoming in the control method. I do remember having to rebind some of the keys (and boo to Team Meat for only making that possible by editing a text file), since I wasn't a fan of Space to jump, but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

And wow, it also just dawned on me: That "controller recommended" prompt that you get when you start Super Meat Boy is an actual recommendation? I always thought it was just some sort of goofy inside joke that I wasn't getting. Perhaps some reference to people arguing console vs PC or whatever.

Dark Souls' single player is online. Unless you deliberately play in offline mode, you will potentially encounter other players while playing the campaign. There isn't a separate multiplayer mode.

Hm, sounds neat. I've got a terrible internet connection, so I doubt it would have worked well, but it sounds like a neat idea nonetheless.

Deitus

3rd person hack-n-slash usually very miserable to play with KB+Mouse.

Really, any game where movement isn't tied to Forward-Back-Strafe Left-Strafe Right (i.e. first person or over the shoulder view) isn't going to control well with WASD. And maybe certain "gaming" keyboards are better about this, but I find a keyboard to be just terribly unresponsive compared to a D-Pad for things like pixel perfect 2D platforming.

KB+M works great for shooters though, and games that require a lot of cursor control (RTS, etc.). But I will never understand the logic of people who think it is the singular best control style for all games.

Spyware

Well, yah, of course they are extremely rare, otherwise GOG wouldn't be making much money :p. Vast majority of the games will of course be games that were already discount hundreds of times or bundled over in over. Really scummy of GOG to not have a warning in case you already own something though.
Yeah yeah, of course they must be rare for this thing to work at all, but that other stuff is basically what I meant. They should note that you basically need to buy at least 50 dupes to get a chance for a rare game even if you own every single other game in the pool of games. Or make it a bit less rare for those that has obviously already spent money to buy all those other games in the pool. Or something. I dunno. I'm mostly just angry at myself.
I think the earlier mystery game things had notices that you owned one or more games already. Nothing like that this time. :/

Amzin

Games I've played this year that I tried with keyboard, but controller was better:

Remember Me
Killer is Dead
Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Freedom Planet
Ori and the Blind Forest
Escape Goat 2
Outland

Again, I >could< have played these with a KB/M setup, and did sometimes, but controller was just more responsive overall. There are some games where I use both: Controller for the majority, KB/M for specific sections (Warhammer: Space Marine comes to mind).

This is coming from someone who has been on the PC-train since Windows 3.1, when you had to boot into it from DOS. I am super comfortable with KB/M :p But different tools for different jobs, you know?

Edit: Race the Sun should be on there too. If I ever boot up Speedrunners, I'm sure that will be ~

Kaleinc

Banned
Dark Souls is fine with kb&m if you use DS MouseFix, I made it to gargoyles without using a mouse but then found out about the fix and had no issues at all.

derExperte

But, anyways, the analog movement is key because there will be situations where you need precise control over your movement. It's possible with the arrow keys or WASD or whatever, but far easier with the analog stick. We're talking walks through treacherous and narrow areas where one mistake is death. Jumping is of similar import, mostly due to how wonky it is to use in Dark Souls 1 and how precisely timed it must be to succeed.

I'm all for playing certain games with a gamepad instead of ignoring them because the devs were too incompetent to finetune them for other control methods and I would in this case but precise movement is imo a big strength of kb/m right behind aiming. FPS' got dumbed and slowed down because you can't change direction in an instant with analog sticks and jumping.... just look at what pros can do if the game allows it.

Vlad

As an added bonus, with a controller you can play the sublime Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which is one of the best games of 2014.

Oh, don't get me started on Metal Gear. It's one of those series that I keep telling myself that I'm going to actually play at some point, and I even bought the 1-3 box set for the PS2 years ago. Played maybe four hours of the first game and was turned off by the god-awful, frequent, and long cutscenes. The game itself seemed fun, though, there just wasn't enough of it. One day, though, I'll get back to it.

...I hate SpaceChem. It scares and confuses me.

Yeah, it's quite a beast, especially since it starts out so simple. As much as I love it, I really have to be in a certain mindset to sit down and take a stab at it. Some of the later puzzles get incredibly complicated, and if I'm already stressed/distracted/whatever, then there's no point even booting it up. If you like the idea of a production-based puzzle game, though, and want something a little more accessible, Infinifactory (By the same guy as SpaceChem) is basically "SpaceChem in 3d". It's got a much gentler learning curve, and isn't nearly as strict when it comes to how limited you are with space and other rules.

See, that's actually a good explanation, so thanks for that. So much so that I believe I might just cancel the refund request. Still have to get around to getting a controller, but I can deal with it if there's an actual unavoidable gameplay reason for it.

Really, any game where movement isn't tied to Forward-Back-Strafe Left-Strafe Right (i.e. first person or over the shoulder view) isn't going to control well with WASD. And maybe certain "gaming" keyboards are better about this, but I find a keyboard to be just terribly unresponsive compared to a D-Pad for things like pixel perfect 2D platforming.

Eh, to me it's all a digital input. Any given input on a D-Pad is either off or on, same thing with a keyboard. However, I can see it being drastically different depending on the keyboard one uses. I can't imagine using those mushy Apple keyboards for some Dustforce, or one of those IBM-Style clicky keyboards, but the ones I've happened to use have been fine. Hell, right now I'm using a 15+-year old Compaq keyboard that came with some long-gone computer, and it works great.

Games I've played this year that I tried with keyboard, but controller was better:

Remember Me
Killer is Dead
Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Freedom Planet
Ori and the Blind Forest
Escape Goat 2
Outland

Again, I >could< have played these with a KB/M setup, and did sometimes, but controller was just more responsive overall. There are some games where I use both: Controller for the majority, KB/M for specific sections (Warhammer: Space Marine comes to mind).

This is coming from someone who has been on the PC-train since Windows 3.1, when you had to boot into it from DOS. I am super comfortable with KB/M :p But different tools for different jobs, you know?

Edit: Race the Sun should be on there too. If I ever boot up Speedrunners, I'm sure that will be ~

Once again, having played entirely through Race The Sun, Ori, and Outland with a Keyboard, the only issues I had were Ori and Outland not allowing for rebindable keys (especially with having the leaf in Ori being bound to Shift. My pinky wasn't happy). I've also played a TON of Speedrunners on the keyboard with no issues. I guess I just don't know how lousy one's keyboard has to perform to somehow be "less responsive" than a controller's d-pad. It's all just digital buttons in the end, right?

Spyware

Once again, having played entirely through Race The Sun, Ori, and Outland with a Keyboard, the only issues I had were Ori and Outland not allowing for rebindable keys (especially with having the leaf in Ori being bound to Shift. My pinky wasn't happy). I've also played a TON of Speedrunners on the keyboard with no issues. I guess I just don't know how lousy one's keyboard has to perform to somehow be "less responsive" than a controller's d-pad. It's all just digital buttons in the end, right?
I don't think I've ever thought about "responsiveness" but the thing about the pinky not being happy with the usage of the Shift key and such is something I don't want to bother with. Why hurt my finger when I can play with a comfy controller? I use controllers for lots of games. I love m/kb in some games and wouldn't want to only use a controller. But if I have to decide between a hurting pinky or a comfy controller where every button is just in the prefect spot for a game like Ori, I'll choose the controller every day.

Vlad

I'm all for playing certain games with a gamepad instead of ignoring them because the devs were too incompetent to finetune them for other control methods and I would in this case but precise movement is imo a big strength of kb/m right behind aiming. FPS' got dumbed and slowed down because you can't change direction in an instant with analog sticks and jumping.... just look at what pros can do if the game allows it.

Hah, and now for something completely different, I'm going to say that I can actually see a situation where an analog stick would be preferred. For something like first-person-shooters, the speed of camera control is the key component, so of course a mouse would be superior.

However, to answer my earlier question, one genre that I could see absolutely requiring an analog stick would be 3d platformers. While you get the same reaction time with WASD that you would with a stick, you have much finer control as to direction with the stick. WASD limits you do only 8 directions relative to the camera's current position, but a stick would let you move those 8 directions, and any direction in-between in an instant. Depending on the precision required by the game, I could see that being critical the more I think about it. There just aren't many/any 3d platformers on Steam, so I haven't come across any of those moments where a stick would be key.

I still maintain that, preference aside, a non-crappy keyboard works just as well as a D-Pad in anything that doesn't require fighting game-levels of complex movement.

Turfster

Remember Me
Again, I >could< have played these with a KB/M setup, and did sometimes, but controller was just more responsive overall.
In an inverse, I was so much better at Remember Me with KB/M than with a controller.
Felt so much tighter =p

Same for Race the Sun.

Vlad

I don't think I've ever thought about "responsiveness" but the thing about the pinky not being happy with the usage of the Shift key and such is something I don't want to bother with. Why hurt my finger when I can play with a comfy controller? I use controllers for lots of games. I love m/kb in some games and wouldn't want to only use a controller. But if I have to decide between a hurting pinky or a comfy controller where every button is just in the prefect spot for a game like Ori, I'll choose the controller every day.

That's not a fault inherent to the control method, but the developer's fault. Shift works fine as a modifier key, but given how much you use the leaf towards the end of the game, it should never have been on that key in the first place (or, as always, the option to rebind should have been present). Honestly, I always felt that the leaf power should never have been on its own button in the first place. It should have been handled like nearly every other platformer handles the jump/double-jump/float/glide mechanic: Tap jump to jump/double-jump, hold jump to float/glide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom