• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

KainXVIII

Strange, games starts crashing when i change resolution (like for DSR or just for 720p), i think it only in Steam, because Diablo 3 works fine in 4k, but MGS5 or Way of the Samurai 4 now crashes. (upd. nope, Ethan Carter works alright =( )
But all works fine several days ago, i don't know what causes it =( Tried to reinstall video drivers and uninstall msi gaming app - don't help much..
My rig - msi gtx 970, i5-3570, windows 10 64-bit

Spyware

That's not a fault inherent to the control method, but the developer's fault. Shift works fine as a modifier key, but given how much you use the leaf towards the end of the game, it should never have been on that key in the first place (or, as always, the option to rebind should have been present). Honestly, I always felt that the leaf power should never have been on its own button in the first place. It should have been handled like nearly every other platformer handles the jump/double-jump/float/glide mechanic: Tap jump to jump/double-jump, hold jump to float/glide.
Of course it's not the keyboard design that is faulty and I didn't say that. In the end it's just that my pinky will hurt if I use the otherwise amazing keyboard in that game, regardless of the reason why. So I use a controller instead because that works perfectly. Getting a controller is not saying that keyboards suck, it's just adding another fine control method to the arsenal.

derExperte

However, to answer my earlier question, one genre that I could see absolutely requiring an analog stick would be 3d platformers. While you get the same reaction time with WASD that you would with a stick, you have much finer control as to direction with the stick. WASD limits you do only 8 directions relative to the camera's current position, but a stick would let you move those 8 directions, and any direction in-between in an instant. Depending on the precision required by the game, I could see that being critical the more I think about it. There just aren't many/any 3d platformers on Steam, so I haven't come across any of those moments where a stick would be key.

Yeah, when you don't have direct control over the camera but still need to navigate a complex 3d space two analog sticks will be the superior choice. Also I'll concede that some games just play more comfortably with stick even if you lose precision and control. There were instances where I switched to kb/m temporarily and easily completed some task I had trouble with using a pad but switched back again afterwards.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I like playing TPS with kb/m and in most instances I like it more than with controller.

Games I do play with controller is racing, platforming games, third-person hack n' slash games and dark souls and games like dark souls.

I also emulate games and that's almost impossible to play on anything other than controller.

Jawmuncher

i mean are we like saying kojima's overrated now? why are we forgetting how revolutionary much of his work has been? because he made a tweet about camp omega a week ago or whatever?

It's far more than that. You know how in depth MGS fans can be, so when they hear all of these promises about what MGSV was going to have. I can understand their frustration. There's a reason the "You will be ashamed of your words and deed" is a joke now in every thread it's posted in. I don't think anyone is taking away from his prior accomplishments though. Just because you don't like MGSV, doesn't somehow make MGS1 any lesser of a game. Regardless the situation is just circles at this point.

Kojima/Konami fucked up with what they said the game was going to have and offer, no way around that. That doesn't necessarily take away from the game itself, especially if you were more so on blackout (Though even then you might notice when you come to beat it)

Really not much else to it. People really don't like missing content from games, especially when it was shown prior or detracts from the story. As for Kojima himself, everyone is open to criticism. When you make yourself such a figurehead of a series it's more prominent.

Amzin

Once again, having played entirely through Race The Sun, Ori, and Outland with a Keyboard, the only issues I had were Ori and Outland not allowing for rebindable keys (especially with having the leaf in Ori being bound to Shift. My pinky wasn't happy). I've also played a TON of Speedrunners on the keyboard with no issues. I guess I just don't know how lousy one's keyboard has to perform to somehow be "less responsive" than a controller's d-pad. It's all just digital buttons in the end, right?

It's not about not having issues. As I said, I played those games all at least SOME with a KB/M. It was simply a better experience for me with a controller. Part of the problem is comfort, some of those games put your fingers in awkward shapes way too much on a keyboard compared to a controller. Some of it is the binary movement of keys vs. the more digital movement of a stick. A keypress is binary, either you are pushing it or not, a control stick (in some cases) lets you be more precise.

Again, personal preference comes into it some. But considering I'm a fairly recent adopter of controllers on PC (past couple years) and have been PC gaming basically since it was a thing, I'm just offering up my views on it. I don't console game at all anymore so getting to have that controller input on the PC when it's warranted is great.

M.D

Download steam and log in...
It won't identify that it uses a different IP and lock me out or something? last time I logged in I logged in from a private browser it asked me to verify the account with a code and locked me from the market for a week

I thought I read something about setting up Steam for use by 2 different computers a couple of years back.. or maybe I'm just imagining things

MUnited83

For you.
It says "closed alpha". So it is not a key for getting the game or does it upgrade?

Yes and No, kinda, maybe.

Game is F2P at launch. With this key you only get what F2P users get instead of the bonuses people who paid for it get. The advantage is getting to play it early and if you're a +1 nut you get to bind it to your account :p

MUnited83

For you.
It won't identify that it uses a different IP and lock me out or something? last time I logged in I logged in from a private browser it asked me to verify the account with a code and locked me from the market for a week

I thought I read something about setting up Steam for use by 2 different computers a couple of years back.. or maybe I'm just imagining things

It only locks you out of the market on the new device, not on the old one.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

The Cursed Forest

4NQF8S1.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes and No, kinda, maybe.

Game is F2P at launch. With this key you only get what F2P users get instead of the bonuses people who paid for it get. The advantage is getting to play it early and if you're a +1 nut you get to bind it to your account :p

Scamco deactivating Ridge Racer Driftopia keys after launch was very annoying.

Dr Dogg

I ain't even mad at MGS5 as what I saw is pretty much what I got. Story elements always looked thin on the ground from what had been shown off and looking at the structure of Ground Zeroes it was never going to affoard The Phantom Pain to playout like the past titles. In gameplay terms I'm happy as Larry but I had a hunch it was never going to get anywhere near to the levels of MGS3 in terms of overall package. Funnily I thought the Mother Base aspect was going to be what made or broke people on 5 as it was quite clear how few of the folks in threads here had actually played Peace Walker. And let's be honest pretty much every MGS bar 3 has had loads of stuff cut from them, 2 especially where the Shell 2 is so rushed to get to Emma and you're having Codec call after Codec call with people you're stood right next to. There were some cool ideas from the cutting room floor that are in The Document of MGS 2.

ArjanN

It's not about not having issues. As I said, I played those games all at least SOME with a KB/M. It was simply a better experience for me with a controller. Part of the problem is comfort, some of those games put your fingers in awkward shapes way too much on a keyboard compared to a controller. Some of it is the binary movement of keys vs. the more digital movement of a stick. A keypress is binary, either you are pushing it or not, a control stick (in some cases) lets you be more precise.

Again, personal preference comes into it some. But considering I'm a fairly recent adopter of controllers on PC (past couple years) and have been PC gaming basically since it was a thing, I'm just offering up my views on it. I don't console game at all anymore so getting to have that controller input on the PC when it's warranted is great.

The bolded is true, but that only comes into play in games that actually have analog control of the character, which is honestly not that many.

I always found it odd that a lot of 2D platformers and such did the "controller recommended" thing despite not playing better with one at all.

IMO the only games that I actually found played better with a controller over keyboard are 3rd person character action games like Revengeance, DMC4 etc. and the occasional game where they really half-assed the keyboard controls/settings.

I ain't even mad at MGS5 as what I saw is pretty much what I got. Story elements always looked thin on the ground from what had been shown off and looking at the structure of Ground Zeroes it was never going to affoard The Phantom Pain to playout like the past titles. In gameplay terms I'm happy as Larry but I had a hunch it was never going to get anywhere near to the levels of MGS3 in terms of overall package. Funnily I thought the Mother Base aspect was going to be what made or broke people on 5 as it was quite clear how few of the folks in threads here had actually played Peace Walker. And let's be honest pretty much every MGS bar 3 has had loads of stuff cut from them, 2 especially where the Shell 2 is so rushed to get to Emma and you're having Codec call after Codec call with people you're stood right next to. There were some cool ideas from the cutting room floor that are in The Document of MGS 2.

Pretty much any big game has stuff left on the cutting room floor, and usually it's just because it wasn't any good or didn't fit the game, but fans always seem to assume the opposite.

chronomac

If I buy a pinata from GOG does it automatically add it to my game library or is it a key? I'm assuming the former, which is annoying, because there's a good chance I'll own it on Steam.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Poker Night at the Inventory Telltale DRM -- MB-BFC4A8C66384064B
Poker Night 2 -- MB-DB639962366F0622 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
Jurassic Park Telltale DRM -- MB-C0ED6774A1EBB87B - Taken by Sammichu. 3 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-DFE415A11580EE35 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 2 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent Telltale DRM -- MB-6BD5D8CD82EEADD2 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 3 entrants total.
Walking Dead Season 2 Telltale DRM -- MB-9A969E2C5B38FE1A - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-922174734873395E - Taken by Majukun. 2 entrants total.

t1441994700z1.png

rtcn63

I want to reiterate that MGSV's checkpoint system is inconsistent and terrible.
Did the story mission where you have to trail the interpreter, spent 10-20 minutes and completed four of the seven objectives (including the primary one), only to lose all my progress when I was gunned down. The game seems to choose oddly placed checkpoints during story missions.

I want to reiterate that MGSV's checkpoint system is inconsistent and terrible.
Did the story mission where you have to trail the interpreter, spent 10-20 minutes and completed four of the seven objectives, only to lose all my progress when I was gunned down.

It's terrible. It also gives you no indication as to how much progress you are losing. I went infiltrating the oil base yesterday and spent about 45 minutes going through handling my business until i was spotted through a floor grate and things went to shit.

Reload checkpoint.....outside the fucking base.

Chariot

No, checkpoints will always occur if you change the zone you're in. If you enter or leave a zone you will autosave. When all you are doing is operating within one zone, you're not going to have a save for a long time.

rtcn63

No, checkpoints will always occur if you change the zone you're in. If you enter or leave a zone you will autosave. When all you are doing is operating within one zone, you're not going to have a save for a long time.

During story missions? For example, in the one where you have to destroy the two tanks (Chapter 8?) it checkpoints at least once right after you've retrieved the intel. And the particular mission I just lost in also has an intel file, but it doesn't save afterward.

Maniac

Banned

This is true...Ish. It's quite buggy, so it wont always save when changing zones. It's inconsistent at best. :/

ExoSoul

Banned
In case anyone's interested in a Labyronia RPG 2 booster pack PM me and we can work something out.

My first arguably valuavle boster :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom