• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Nah, sack this, I can already see the way the wind is blowing.

Combat is bloody awful, writing and presentation is good but the plot hasn't grabbed me yet (admittedly it doesn't help I've not done the others), and it's already asking me to grind fetch quests and rifts to continue the story.

I don't get it, everyone hated DA2 but lauded awards at a single player MMO?

Corpekata

Banned
But it is. I'm a PC loyalist, and even I know that. It changed everything for the industry, just as much as Halo, if not more.

It was a big influence but that doesn't mean it's great.

Half Life is a far better game and has also clearly been a giant influence.

Frigging Perfect Dark was number 3. Over stuff like Quake and Counter Strike. Ridiculous.

derExperte

But it is. I'm a PC loyalist, and even I know that. It changed everything for the industry, just as much as Halo, if not more.

You make Dropsy sad. The quantity of high quality fpshooter on PC in the 90s is unprecedented and GE does not stand out in any way other than that its on a console (with abysmal image quality when PC already had 3d accelerators). HL, Unreal and JK2 clobbered GE only a year later. 98 and 99 alone push it out of the top 10 and 97 had Quake 2. Heck, Doom 2 is better imo (Doom 1 too of course, that's better than anything ever but wasn't eligible due to the release year).

Frigging Perfect Dark was number 3. Over stuff like Quake and Counter Strike. Ridiculous.

An even bigger joke and final proof that the majority of voters didn't play PC games in the 90s. I think I managed to get through Goldeneye but when PD came around it looked like crap, had severe framerate issues and just played badly. I mean it came out in the summer of 2000 besides Deus Ex (not eligible either).

Ludens

Banned
Anyway, I'm really enjoying MGSV but...sadly, this won't be my GOTY.
Witcher 3 is so much better compared to MGSV.
And as a hard-core fan, it's sad to admit this, but it's true.

Maniac

Banned
What was exactly cut from Metal Gear V? Do we know that, other than just general stuff like dialogue, bosses etc.? I know of:

• Camp Omega
  • End game boss
  • Multiple bosses(?)
  • 2 maps (?)
  • 1 chapter(?)
  • Alternate ending(?)

Several skins, suits and a lot of purely visual customization for both Big Boss and D-Walker was cut, and about 7 or 8 cut weapons have been found in the GZ & TPP files.
Yeah, but they cut stuff like another ending, costumes, lines of dialogues...what is the point? Please explain it to me. I can agree with you that, way too often, a content is cut because it doesn't fit well with the rest of the game. Ok.
But more days pass, and much cut contents emerge. So something VERY bad happened or those contents will be available in a second moment (in the form of new edition of the game or DLCs).

Lacking proper integration up to an obviously rushed release date. Lots of content produced for the game wasn't ever integrated into the actual game, and thus wasn't in a fit state to be released. Some cutscenes, however, seem to have been cut simply due to either incompetence, rushing the damn thing or some technical issues they didn't have time to overcome.

It's a clusterfuck.
A huge ammount of Skins and equipment for
D-Walker

Probably also a lot of Motherbase related stuff, since walking around on it has pretty much no use. Outside of that one thing.

Yeah, Motherbase is obviously unfinished. There are cutscenes and voice lines that you can just see were supposed to lead to side-missions located on the base, but which were never finished. It's also quite awkward overall, since a lot of dialogue from the soldiers starts happening prior to some Motherbase events. (Both the FOB incursion stuff, the 'zoo' platform and some other jazz)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-B9A6115CB886E499 - Taken by PetriP-TNT

Ludens

Banned
Kojima...

says a lot of things.

I think people really screwed by this are ones that bought Ground Zeroes physical release, because it was intended to include an EXCLUSIVE content, and I think originally was Camp Omega one, only accessible in first copies of GZ physical edition.
It turned to be some staff members, a golden arm and the infiltration suit.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-B9A6115CB886E499 - Taken by PetriP-TNT

This was Stealth Inc. 2. First one to quote this post gets it

Maniac

Banned
The more I read about cut stuff in MGSV, the more I get depressed.
Now the question simply is: did Konami cut this stuff because of some problems, or just to introduce it later as paid DLCs or Substance version?

The amount of cut stuff is simply INSANE: skins, dialogues, bosses, episodes, Camp Omega.
Strange thing is, Konami cut some stuff already showed during first trailers for the game, so why?

Probably wasn't properly integrated into the game. Stranger yet is some of the early-game cutscenes being abscent, and the burning village cutscene also being removed, despite you going to said village in the game.
Why is the base assumption: All of this could have been in the game without affecting the developement time and costs (that are already quite high) at all.

Konami is not a comic book villain, they are idiots, sure, but incompetence does not equal malintent. If the majority of this stuff, could have been in the game without major problems, it would have.

Don't subscribe to much into conspiracy theories, not matter how much Metal Gear itself endulges in them.
Yeah... Proper integration was lacking for a lot of stuff. The weirder stuff is weapons and skins though. Some of that stuff doesn't really require being integrated into the game properly, and just requires a tiny bit of balancing for the weapons. Slacking combined with going over-budget and over the allotted time really did a number on this game.
You make Dropsy sad. The quantity of high quality fpshooter on PC in the 90s is unprecedented and GE does not stand out in any way other than that its on a console (with abysmal image quality when PC already had 3d accelerators). HL, Unreal and JK2 clobbered GE only a year later. 98 and 99 alone push GE out of the top 10 and 97 had Quake 2. Heck, Doom 2 is better imo (Doom 1 too of course, that's better than anything ever but wasn't eligible due to the release year).

Exactly what you said.
It was a big influence but that doesn't mean it's great.

Half Life is a far better game and has also clearly been a giant influence.

That's just dumb, but not really surprising.

Halo didn't really change that much either. Quake, Doom, Half Life, Counter Strike and others did a lot more to change the entire gaming industry than Halo and GE ever came close to doing.
Anyway, I'm really enjoying MGSV but...sadly, this won't be my GOTY.
Witcher 3 is so much better compared to MGSV.
And as a hard-core fan, it's sad to admit this, but it's true.

I concur, although I'm not a hardcore fan. And with the state of MGSV, I'll never become one.

The quantity of high quality fpshooter on PC in the 90s is unprecedented and GE does not stand out in any way other than that its on a console (with abysmal image quality when PC already had 3d accelerators).

Halo didn't really change that much either. Quake, Doom, Half Life, Counter Strike and others did a lot more to change the entire gaming industry than Halo and GE ever came close to doing.

It is universally considered one of the (if not the) best movie tie-in games of all time.

It essentially brought the FPS genre to consoles in a viable way.

It signaled a transition from the Doom-era frantic PC shooters to a more realistic, slower approach.

It more or less invented the concept of headshots and focused damage.

The split-screen multiplayer was unheard of at that time.

And that's even counting all the gameplay innovations it did, like making sniper rifles viable on consoles.

It's not even a debate. As much as I like Half-Life, its innovations can't compare with that. It was an historic game.

Saying Golden Eye is better than Half-Life is like saying Bad Rats is better than Dark Souls. Most disrespectful shit I've ever seen here on GAF.

It's what I refer to as "Seinfeld is Unfunny" syndrome. People who don't remember its innovation (or have seen more advanced games since then) don't understand how important the originals were to the industry.

yuraya

Saying GoldenEye is better than Half-Life is like saying Bad Rats is better than Dark Souls. Most disrespectful shit I've ever seen here on GAF.

Seriously it doesn't hold a candle to Half-Life. Its not in the same league. The only reason GoldenEye is even relevant is because of its splitscreen multiplayer. And Perfect Dark did that better anyways.

Maniac

Banned
- "80's Filter": Cut (likely in early production) for being system-intensive.
- Camp Omega Special Mission (E3 2013 Trailer): Cut for unknown reasons.
- P.T Active Decoy ("Lisa") (2014 TGS gameplay presentation): Presumably cut for relationship to the cancelled "Silent Hills" project.
- PS4/Steam-Branded Cardboard Boxes: Cut for unknown reasons.
- Missing Delivery Point Invoices (missing locations?): Removed for unknown reasons.
- Usable Battle Gear during free-roam (Piggyback Collector's Edition strategy guide): Cut for balance reasons.
- Roaming animals on Command Platform: Cut for unknown reasons.
- Unused "Chapter 3 - Peace" Title Card: Unused for unknown reasons.
- "Burned/Skull Boss" Model (Kojima 2015 Launch Trailer): Unused for unknown reasons.
- Unused Snake/Paz Interactions: Cut for unknown reasons.
- Unused (General) Snake Dialogue: Cut for unknown reasons.
- Africa Burning Village Cutscene (E3 2014 trailer): Cut for unknown reasons.
- Africa Child Soldier Training Cutscene: Cut for unknown reasons. The sequence can be seen via gameplay, but does not transition to a cutscene.
- TGS 2014 Africa Mission (TGS 2014 gameplay presentation)
- Mission 46 Unused Dialogue (found in game files): Cut for unknown reasons.
- "Mission 51" Unused Mission (found on CE Blu-Ray disc)
- Unused "Nuclear Waste Disposal" Ending: Cut for unknown reasons.
- Gearnuke article / Youtube link: Unused/unknown alternate costumes from the leaked script, including "Foxtrot". "Sandstorm", "Realtree", "Panther", "MGS3 Naked", "MGS3 Sneaking" and "MGS3 Tuxedo", along with buddy uniforms like "Horse_Parade" and "Horse_Western". Removed for unknown reasons.

The nuke disposal ending might be in the game, but it's unknown how to unlock it yet.

Also several weapons, and some of the 'head' customization items. Also the drones seen in the "roaming animals" video seem to have been removed as far as I can tell, I've yet to see them at all and I'm quite far in at this point.
The tanks aren't all that durable, the multi-rocket launcher takes one out in around two hits. I still haven't finished Chapter 9 because I couldn't think of a way to stop the jeep with the prisoner in it. I had a grenade launcher, and one is enough to cause the jeep to explode before you can fulton the prisoner. Although now, I have a shitload of ways to stop it safely, but I'm just too lazy to do it.

You can also just shoot out a tire on a jeep, more often than not they'll spin out and daze the passengers.
It is universally considered one of the (if not the) best movie tie-in games of all time.

It essentially brought the FPS genre to consoles in a viable way.

It signaled a transition from the Doom-era frantic PC shooters to a more realistic, slower approach.

It more or less invented the concept of headshots and focused damage.

The split-screen multiplayer was unheard of at that time.

And that's even counting all the gameplay innovations it did, like making sniper rifles viable on consoles.

It's not even a debate. As much as I like Half-Life, its innovations can't compare with that. It was an historic game.

It's not really innovative to dumb down a genre for consoles. We've been living with the consequences ever since, and I don't consider it a good thing at all. :p

It's not really innovative to dumb down a genre for consoles. We've been living with the consequences ever since, and I don't consider it a good thing at all. :p

Halo is more to blame for that. Most of what we see in modern shooters can be tied back to that game, which took a lot of disparate elements (the two-weapon limit, regenerating health, the faceless and enigmatic main character) and tied them together in one game.

There was nothing else like Goldeneye at the time. Like I said, as much as I appreciate what Half-Life brought to the industry (seamless loading, the little gameplay touches, the sparse plot drawing players in), I don't believe it was as historic as Goldeneye.

But the question was "what is the best," not "what is the most historic."

Personally, I'd still consider it the best.

Halo is more to blame for that. Most of what we see in modern shooters can be tied back to that game, which took a lot of disparate elements (the two-weapon limit, regenerating health, the faceless and enigmatic main character) and tied them together in one game.

There was nothing else like Goldeneye at the time. Like I said, as much as I appreciate what Half-Life brought to the industry (seamless loading, the little gameplay touches, the sparse plot drawing players in), I don't believe it was as historic as Goldeneye.

But the question was "what is the best," not "what is the most historic."

Also several weapons, and some of the 'head' customization items. Also the drones seen in the "roaming animals" video seem to have been removed as far as I can tell, I've yet to see them at all and I'm quite far in at this point.

Was gonna ask, do you have any links to sites detailing the unused headgear/drones/weapons?

GE is kinda the Apple of first-person shooter. It didn't actually 'invent' anything (other shooter in 97 had localized damage) but made a lot of people believe it did because that's the first time they saw that stuff. I dare anyone to sit down, replay GE, then replay HL and tell me with a straight face which is better. And that's what these votes should be about, not which game did something first.

An entire generation of kids (including myself) came of age playing Goldeneye. Hell, my friends and I did split-screen multiplayer a few months back at a friend's house. It was fun, first and foremost. I'm not surprised at all that it won.

derExperte

GE is kinda the Apple of first-person shooters. It didn't actually 'invent' anything (other shooters in 97 had localized damage*) but made a lot of people believe it did because that's the first time they saw that stuff. I dare anyone to sit down, replay GE, then replay HL and tell me with a straight face which is better. And that's what these votes should be about, not which game did something first. Though I concede it's reasonable to put it in a top 10 because obviously many loved it back then.

*headshots were in TF before GE: http://kotaku.com/5625054/the-history-of-headshots-gamings-favorite-act-of-unreal-violence

Also MDK:
The game MDK, released on PC that spring, also had a sniper-based headshot. With GoldenEye deep into development by the time of Team Fortress update's release, this is probably another instance of parallel inspiration, a group of game creators all coming upon the same new game mechanic and releasing games that featured it within a few months of each other.

An entire generation of kids (including myself) came of age playing Goldeneye. Hell, my friends and I did split-screen multiplayer a few months back at a friend's house. It was fun, first and foremost. I'm not surprised at all that it won.

See my edit, I would have said nothing against it being in the top 10. But looking at the other lists or PD's placement it's painfully obvious why they ended up like that. And it isn't because 'I played high quality games on every platform and these are my favorites'. Granted not everyone, especially as a kid/teen, had the means to do that and PC gaming was mighty expensive 20 years ago but some rankings are just plain crazy.

Anyway, let's get back to MDK because that's a truly unique and underappreciated gem. Then Messiah and Sacrifice killed Shiny. :(

But i wasnt shown any stats after finishing like in the others. I was only left with the option to login into a telltale account, which i didnt do and after that the game returned to the main menu.

That's weird, because I don't have a TellTale account and I've definitely seen the decision breakdowns.

I'm shocked that a TellTale game could be broken. Shocked.
Nah, sack this, I can already see the way the wind is blowing.

Combat is bloody awful, writing and presentation is good but the plot hasn't grabbed me yet (admittedly it doesn't help I've not done the others), and it's already asking me to grind fetch quests and rifts to continue the story.

I don't get it, everyone hated DA2 but lauded awards at a single player MMO?

If you want, play up until the Haven sequence (you'll recognise it) and then be done with the game. That sequence is the game's only high point--it's all very downhill from there. The story in particular just becomes absolutely nonsensical gibberish, rushed and padded to a disgusting degree. You'd really be best off imagining how the story goes rather than experiencing it (you'll probably do better than Bioware's writers).

As to why it scored so well... it's a combination of how bad DA2 is remembered (recalling that it's reviews were far from critical) and how desperate people were for a real open world RPG. DAI is both categorically superior to DA2 and a decent-seeming open world RPG--it's downfall is that everything good about the game is 100% frontloaded. The story, gameplay, and environment are all at their best in the first part of the game, falling off a cliff about 1/3 of the way through: the huge, wonderful, open areas are revealed as barren, repetitive wastelands that do nothing aside from look pretty; the huge, open story missions are revealed to be railroaded, scarce, and inconsequential; and the grand inquisition is little a farce--nothing more than a normal hero's journey in pretty clothing. The frontloaded quality is why player reception was so positive in the beginning.

The core issue for DAI's score is that reviewers suck at being critical. They completely failed to note how vapid the game ultimately becomes, instead revelling in the Biowareness of the experience and giving it a 10/10 for being the first AAA next-gen RPG. It's a bit of a bummer to think about.

I dare anyone to sit down, replay GE, then replay HL and tell me with a straight face which is better. And that's what these votes should be about, not which game did something first:

Well, at the end of the day, GE won. That's it.

I had a feeling that there was going to be a lot of salt once I saw the plea to go vote in the thread because the PC base was apparently being under-represented.

derExperte

Turok > Goldeneye

no

I think Halo, Half-Life, and Perfect Dark are better than Goldeneye.
*shrug*

maybe, yes, no

Well, at the end of the day, GE won. That's it.

I had a feeling that there was going to be a lot of salt once I saw the plea to go vote in the thread because the PC base was apparently being under-represented.

I like to imagine that my vote pushed HL and Planescape a little higher. Small victories.

yuraya

It's what I refer to as "Seinfeld is Unfunny" syndrome. People who don't remember its innovation (or have seen more advanced games since then) don't understand how important the originals were to the industry.

I would call it more like the "Its so bad its good" syndrome. GoldenEye is like Sharknado.

Not a single thing about GoldenEye is better than Half-Life. When you factor in Half-Life giving birth to Counter Strike, Steam and countless of other things its not even close. Just look at CS today nearly 15 years later. The legacy that Half-Life left for shooters an online gaming is a billion times more important than the legacy GoldenEye left. Valve was truly ahead of its time. Splitscreen is archaic and worthless today. Rare is making pirate mmo's for windows 10 store. There is nothing to debate.

Arthea

That list can't be all bad because it has Suikoden in it and not that low.

As for shooters, I think UT had to be first, bite me!

The problem with lists like that, there is no such thing as the best game, because you know, different people, different strokes and all that stuff, these lists represent most popular games most of the time, so they are unfair by default.

edited: for example, no way in hell Starcraft is better than Civ 2 or Alpha Centauri.

Jawmuncher

It's more than likely a pretty impossible cutscene, that isn't meant to be seen until years later. Where the community somehow worked together to disarm all nukes in the FOB mode. Which would basically be impossible, so it's a good thing someone found it in the files.

Mivey

If I look at some of the proported cuts, especially with cutscenes (and some of the dialogue would have end up as a cutscene, MGSV does not have a dialogue system), it could have been a creative choice on the part of Kojima. The game is clearly distancing itself from the earlier cutscene heavy entrances, so it might make sense to remove certain scenes that he feels are not useful for his vision?

With the skins, I dunno, maybe they were so busy trying to finish everything that some stuff was just left out because of time constraints? Especially with something as huge as a special ending set piece, it must have been a very though choice to cut, but it might have been necessary to ensure the quality of the overall game.

Chariot

It's quite obvious that Kojima had to wrap the game out before he was actually finished, because he strained the deadlines and ressources given by Konami.

derExperte

edited: for example, no way in hell Starcraft is better than Civ 2 or Alpha Centauri.

Ehhhh, don't know about that. I'm not a Blizzard fan at all but SC1 was hella good in that it worked for hardcore RTS players as well as casuals like me who got dragged along due to the story.

Lists can be fun but you either need to make sure that the voters aren't heavily skewed towards one platform or just do separate votes to begin with. Especially in the 90s PC gaming was doing its completely own thing. For example getting back to GE one last time, splitscreen is cute and all but on PC lots people were already playing online and doing things like modding / downloading custom levels we today take as granted. That's the reason why Q2 was considered a pretty good game, single player meh, mutiplayer woah.

You guys really getting upset over a list? I barely played on PC in the second half of the 90's even though I started out as a PC gamer, it was mostly consoles and arcades for me.
It's no secret that the majority of gaf are console gamers, especially up until a few years ago.

Nah, I knew what was coming which is why I didn't even comment on the overall list. Still no reason to not point out some especially ridiculous results.

Finshed Game #48 Mad Max and #49 AC Rogue last night and with the final episodes of GOT and Tales from the Borderlands coming I'm almost at 52 for the year!

You guys really getting upset over a list? I barely played on PC in the second half of the 90's even though I started out as a PC gamer, it was mostly consoles and arcades for me.
It's no secret that the majority of gaf are console gamers, especially up until a few years ago.

When you factor in Half-Life giving birth to Counter Strike, Steam and countless of other things its not even close.
But Half-Life was given birth thanks to the GoldSrc engine being a heavily modded Quake engine, so Quake wins. :p

This is why teh system warz really sucks.

Ozium

List Wars is the dankest game on GAF

I would call it more like the "Its so bad its good" syndrome. GoldenEye is like Sharknado.

I've got to hand it to you. That's probably one of the dumbest analogies I've ever read on the internet. In no world is Goldeneye considered "so bad it's good".

If you want to pretend otherwise, that's great. Just don't sit and get salty because it won. If you've got a problem, take it up with the people who voted on the poll. You haven't invalidated anything I've said.

To be honest I hated GE when played it, for me it was ugly as hell and I still think that the N64 controller is an abomination. The HL demo I played was more impressive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom