• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Well for me. If it's not showing up on search then it's hidden at the moment. It's hidden. It's hidden. I'm not going beyond normal means to try and find it. Plus even when you search by Mad Max's ID the sales data is still hidden.

You say not populated at the moment. I say hidden. Don't see what the point is and don't understand why I got someone chastising me and other people for saying it when you can't find it by normal average Joe means. How about I just say "the fucking sales data isn't fucking there at the fucking moment." Is that better?

"Hidden" implies that the publisher is purposely hiding it. It implies we aren't getting that data at all. That's how people understand the word "hidden" relating to this site. "Hidden" means a very specific thing.

And that's a lie and only serves to confuse people. And yes ""the fucking sales data isn't fucking there at the fucking moment" is much more accurate. A bit wordy I guess, but still better than calling it hidden. Let's imagine I start a study about something. That study will have statistics. It doesn't have statistics right now because the data hasn't been collected yet. Does this mean that the data is hidden or ""the fucking data isn't fucking there at the fucking moment", because, you know, the data isn't collected at the moment?

Excuse me if I think people shouldn't start spreading misinformation.

edit:morningbus said it better than me
The issue is precisely in using the word "hidden."

When something is "hidden" on Steamspy it is overt and intentional and means the publisher asked for data to be removed and not collected.

When something is "hidden" it looks like this: http://steamspy.com/app/258050

The specific word has a specific connotation in this context. It's like telling someone you burned dinner but you actually just cooked it on a grill over wood.

Tizoc

HighlevelEthicalGoosefish.gif

street fighter lost BRO

everythin was DOA / SC

This occurs ONLY on the 2 player side atm, Player 1 has normal jiggle physics.

DocSeuss

I had more fun today with Mad Max than I did with Metal Gear Solid.

That said, Metal Gear Solid does more interesting things with its worldspace. Mad Max basically tries to repurpose its open world 'events' a bunch. Both games have really weird controls. Like, Max has jumping, but it's left trigger.

Anyways, here's four hours of footage I recorded.

dex3108

I just looked at MGS V numbers on SteamDB and man game crushed on Steam. Almost 70K peak. If that is not enough for MGS Collection nothing will be. :D

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I just looked at MGS V numbers on SteamDB and man game crushed on Steam. Almost 70K peak. If that is not enough for MGS Collection nothing will be. :D

Would be so happy to get MGS collection on steam, I doubt it will happen though.

SinZega

I guess I'll add the steps:
- close your steam client entirely
- copy/move the MGS_TPP to the common folder
- copy/move the acf (appmanifest_287700) to the steamapps folder
- open your steam and it'll scan the game

Followed these steps exactly but the game keeps downloading from 0. I have a hunch the problem is from my acf file. Thanks for trying to help.

Would be so happy to get MGS collection on steam, I doubt it will happen though.

I am definitely worried about the possibility of this.

Last year I would have said it was a dead cert inevitability, that the Legacy Collection would come to PC (along with PS4 and X1) However, in that time, Kojima Productions has effectively been dismantled and Konami appears to be sprinting away from AAA gaming.

I'm almost convinced it was on the cards and has been canned...I can only hope Konami's desire for money trumps their desire for being thick headed, and they actually put it out. It's all I really want out of Konami these days.

Vuze

Followed these steps exactly but the game keeps downloading from 0. I have a hunch the problem is from my acf file. Thanks for trying to help.
Did you try to get a "completed" acf from somebody who has finished downloading and use it?

Faabulous

How shitty of a human beign am I if I grab Mad Max on Kinguin? It's cheaper then steam around here.

I just wish I could get a reasonable price on MGS5 :(
Thanks for charging 200 BR bucks Konami

Maniac

Banned
random soldier dialogue on mother base is great

"DO YOU KNOW WHY THEY CALL THE BOSS BIG BOSS"

"HE'S FEARLESS"

"A HERO, A REAL REBEL"

"TRULY A TORTURED SOUL"

then they finish their talk and one walks on me while im like
I think it's fucking BUUUULLSHIIIIIIT that you can't play catch with him or even pat him

like wtf koooojiiiimaaaAA!!!!!!!

Also can't I heil salute soldiers when they salute me?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mad Max doesn't even show on my recently played games. It's still not officially out in some regions which has had that effect in the past.

Coreda

So early impressions of a 1440p monitor. Have to be honest not much of an improvement for gaming outside of pure resolution. Jumbo sized UIs aren't my thing. Not to mention many games lack native-res UI assets which doesn't help the impression.

I hope more developers going forward create responsive, PC-centric UIs for games as appropriately sized and positioned UI elements give a finer sense control.

Have you already uninstalled the game completely before starting the first step?
If it's stil not working, perhaps someone here can share their completed mgsv .acf file.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Close Your Eyes two days after release points of interest and general information.

Total people who got Steam keys of the game from myself and activated them: 543
People who got the game off the store page: 8,842
(Total people who have the game tied to their account: 9,385)
Number of people who have downloaded the game after having it tied to their account: 3,244
Number of people who have the game on their wishlist but don't have the game yet: 2,684
Number of people who had it on their wishlist but now own it: 388

I think it's okay for me to share that data, but I don't think I can share much else than that. What I find weird is on the day of release, the number of people who wishlisted it skyrocketed by something like 1,500 or something, but it's a free game, so why don't they just add it to their account?

---

Reviews are much more positive than I expected. User reviews are Positive after 40 reviews. The percentage of Positive to Negative reviews is 83% positive to 18% negative (I know that's 101%, but that's what the store page says). However, three of these 7 negative reviews are from people who only played 0.1 hours and only make negative reviews on Steam according to their Reviews page on their profile.

---

Steam Forums have been some of the most tame I have ever seen on a game page, at least so far. They've been very civilized, and no issues really yet. I think this may be in part because I'm active in responding to people, because I like to talk a lot.

---

There have been a little over 30 video series of Close Your Eyes started on YouTube. All of them like the game it seems, and many of them find it creepy. Most are at part 1 of the game, make 10-30 minute videos, and it's been interesting to watch because I've observed repeated player behaviors between the videos I wouldn't of suspected but are pretty consistent between players. Will be interesting data for the next project, which has already started development.

---

Some fair negative criticism (I am a bit harsher on the game than most, I feel), the two highest rated reviews are a positive and negative review currently, though the positive one was the highest and got knocked down for Steam's system of managing it. Notably, there seems to be some weird small group of people until as of this morning there was a surge of people thumbs-downing positive reviews and thumbs-upping negative reviews, and they came in a surge so all the positive reviews would suddenly all at once have an extra unhelpful vote, and a negative review would have a sudden thumbs up.

---

Observations thus far, I hope this is interesting to you guys.

FloatOn

A friend of mine bought a new video card and is gonna sell me the phantom pain for like $25 dollars. I guess I'll get around to ground zeroes and watching some shitty MGS story so far explained video on youtube.com

Coreda

Wait, user interfaces get larger on a 1440p monitor?
If so, I might avoid as well.

Everything is simply scaled, and at 27 inches it's like having a TV on your desk. Also blacks lose contrast on either side (mild IPS glow, inherent to IPS panels) which is something to keep in mind.

Positives: more screen real estate, and in my case the monitor features a picture by picture mode so I can input two PCs (or any other device) side by side. Ironically I end up keeping most windows in the center of the screen anyway :p

What I find weird is on the day of release, the number of people who wishlisted it skyrocketed by something like 1,500 or something, but it's a free game, so why don't they just add it to their account?

This has happened with lots of other free to play games as well. I recall some people wishlisting the DC MOBA and Rise of Incarnates when they were released, respectively.

And, yes, interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing!

There have been a little over 30 video series of Close Your Eyes started on YouTube. All of them like the game it seems, and many of them find it creepy. Most are at part 1 of the game, make 10-30 minute videos, and it's been interesting to watch because I've observed repeated player behaviors between the videos I wouldn't of suspected but are pretty consistent between players. Will be interesting data for the next project, which has already started development.

Wow, and you watched them all? You're a real trooper. What's creepier, the game or the let's players?

DocSeuss

1) does motherbase become more accessible later? These construction signs are upsetting me.

2) where do the animals go? I want to renounce war and begin farming

Farmer Boss

I think it's fucking BUUUULLSHIIIIIIT that you can't play catch with him or even pat him

like wtf koooojiiiimaaaAA!!!!!!!

Also can't I heil salute soldiers when they salute me?

I thought you could salute back in the Gamescom motherbase demo, yeah?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wow, and you watched them all? You're a real trooper. What's creepier, the game or the let's players?

It's interesting, it's what I've spent today's relaxation day doing, and I have watched most of them now, though new ones are still coming.

Some of the Let's Plays are good, some are kind of cringey, some are in foreign language but I watch to see how I respond and I notice many foreign LP'ers seem to translate the English text into their language for watchers, which is kind of cool. I'm surprised a number of people made their first video ever on the game to try Let's Playing. The worst video I have found on CYE is this one (warning: RIP Headphone users): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoouzkFixM

^That one is probably scarier than the game, it's almost like a cursed video.

Pachimari

Man, it's always in the Steam thread that I get spoiled by pictures. First Witcher 3 and then MGSV.
Now I have come to not care, as it's simply impossible to avoid it on GAF.

Back to The Phantom Pain!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
My HDD is really loud, like really goddamn loud.

Wonder how it became like this, it's been a week since it started.

derExperte

My HDD is really loud, like really goddamn loud.

Wonder how it became like this, it's been a week since it started.

Maybe something in your PC is amplifying the noise, for example a screw that became loose. Or it's dying, better check if your backups are up to date.

Dammit, I checked an hour ago and nothing. Brb

Didn't start at a full hour like the description said so I guess someone had to press a button and forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom