• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

You know he's a true artiste when his in-game appearance is updated to reflect the real-life change of his glasses frames.

I'm seriously going to miss Kojima's Metal Gear. Hopefully he finds another venue to be Kojima in some kind of interactive way for us.

Dr Dogg

Urgh, what am I doing up at this hour? Oh I know trying to log in to MGS5 to get the sign in bonus before it disappears. It's already begun :(

Game is dope as though. Few little quibbles on performance here and there but I think I've got a handle on what's the cause.

They are not.

People shouldn't start saying this without actually verifying it first.
There's no data available yet, but it's not hidden.

Always check the steamspy page before claiming such things http://steamspy.com/app/234140/

Asking folks to check and verify data before making bold claims on the internet? Preposterous!

I've been killing people left and right. You can't be a demon if you just let everyone take a nap.

You enjoy all the killing don't you?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
No, that makes you a bear. Congratulations.

jiIygS5l.jpg

Ludens

Banned
I opened Steam and MGSV download passed from around 10GB I left yesterday to 0. I needed to start over. Does this happened to someone else?
First time a thing like this happens here :\

Momentary

Banned
I couldn't even access those pages before.

Neither could I at first. Also if you go there now and use the search bar, like the typical person does, it still doesn't show up. So he's really just chastising people for no reason and coming off as being arrogant.

As of 5 minutes ago:

Untitled_zpsaniuxw4x.png

Dr Dogg

I'm pretty sure when an app is hidden on Steam Spy it explicitly tells you 'Results are hidden', the page will have no name for the app number and say something like 'Sorry but this developer requested this data be hidden'. I'd take that as confirmation rather than a page not loading or populated with basic info but missing sales data.

Edit: Here's an example. http://steamspy.com/app/258050

Momentary

Banned
I'm pretty sure when an app is hidden on Steam Spy it explicitly tells you 'Results are hidden', the page will have no name for the app number and say something like 'Sorry but this developer requested this data be hidden'. I'd take that as confirmation rather than a page not loading or populated with basic info but missing sales data.

Edit: Here's an example. http://steamspy.com/app/258050

Well for me. If it's not showing up on search then it's hidden at the moment. It's hidden. It's hidden. I'm not going beyond normal means to try and find it. Plus even when you search by Mad Max's ID the sales data is still hidden.

You say not populated at the moment. I say hidden. Don't see what the point is and don't understand why I got someone chastising me and other people for saying it when you can't find it by normal average Joe means. How about I just say "the fucking sales data isn't fucking there at the fucking moment." Is that better?

Dr Dogg

Well for me. If it's not showing up on search then it's hidden at the moment. It's hidden. It's hidden. I'm not going beyond normal means to try and find it. Plus even when you search by Mad Max's ID the sales data is still hidden.

You say not populated at the moment. I say hidden. Don't see what the point is and don't understand why I got someone chastising me and other people for saying it when you can't find it by normal average Joe means. How about I just say "the fucking sales data isn't fucking there at the fucking moment." Is that better?

Fair enough, we could argue semantics over the definition of hidden and go round in circles for days but we all know it takes a little while for results to come through accurately via Steam Spy and both Mad Max and MGSV realistically only released yesterday so even then I'd say it's still premature to be looking for a ideal picture.

Lomax

"Hidden" to anyone who uses steamspy regularly means the company has requested the data be hidden. Also, anyone who uses steamspy regularly knows the data is meaningless the first few days after release anyway.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Steamspy is this Stream thread generation's Russian registry viewer.

It's early days still and everyone wants to be the one to scoop something, but many people don't know how to accurately interpret the information.

Momentary

Banned
Fair enough, we could argue semantics over the definition of hidden and go round in circles for days but we all know it takes a little while for results to come through accurately via Steam Spy and both Mad Max and MGSV realistically only released yesterday so even then I'd say it's still premature to be looking for a ideal picture.

"Hidden" to anyone who uses steamspy regularly means the company has requested the data be hidden. Also, anyone who uses steamspy regularly knows the data is meaningless the first few days after release anyway.

Okay.... so what does all this have to do with how I choose to say that content is not currently available? I know how to look up games by id. I just saw that MGSV already had sales data presented on their page and that Mad Max didn't. When I can't see anything I say it's hidden. That's what I refer to something that I can't find immediately in my everyday life. It's lost, hidden, withheld, missing.

Also, I know data is meaningless in the first few days, but I don't see how that has anything to do with how I choose to proclaim that a statistic is missing.

*Rayge looks up Mad Max in search... it's not there. *Rayge looks up Mad Max by I.D.... sales data is not there currently *Rayge states that the data is hidden from his eyesight *Here comes the Steam Spy police.

Lomax

Okay.... so what does all this have to do with how I choose to say that content is not currently available? I know how to look up games by id. I just saw that MGSV already had sales data presented on their page and that Mad Max didn't. When I can't see anything I say it's hidden. That's what I refer to something that I can't find immediately in my everyday life. It's lost, hidden, withheld, missing.

Also, I know data is meaningless in the first few days, but I don't see how that has anything to do with how I choose to proclaim that a statistic is missing.

*Rayge looks up Mad Max in search... it's not there. *Rayge looks up Mad Max by I.D.... sales data is not there currently *Rayge states that the data is hidden from his eyesight *Here comes the Steam Spy police.

Well, earlier in the day some other posters said the same thing about both Mad Max and MGSV, so to them you were just another person claiming something that wasn't true, not someone with poor word choice. And you have to admit, "hidden" has a completely different connotation than "missing."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The issue is precisely in using the word "hidden."

When something is "hidden" on Steamspy it is overt and intentional and means the publisher asked for data to be removed and not collected.

When something is "hidden" it looks like this: http://steamspy.com/app/258050

The specific word has a specific connotation in this context. It's like telling someone you burned dinner but you actually just cooked it on a grill over wood.

Khronico

Today was the day I beat every game binge record I've ever had for a 24 hr period. The last time I played a game this much in a day was Fallout New Vegas on launch, one of my top 3 games of all time.

MGSV is absolutely incredible.

so just saw that thread about the isometric version of fo4 would look like

it's not perfect or anything, but fuck me i'd play this a million times over whatever beth is gonna make

Someday Obsidian will make an Fallout with the Pillars Of Eternity.

Someday.

;___;

Vuze

I opened Steam and MGSV download passed from around 10GB I left yesterday to 0. I needed to start over. Does this happened to someone else?
First time a thing like this happens here :
Yeah multiple times... Arkham knight, Ryse, Black Ops 3 Beta. I always assumed it had to do with updates being released (but even then, why the hell do I have to download basically everything again when the patch was a 30mb update and likely just changed a file or two). Not sure if TPP has been patched yet tho, so it might have been caused by something else.

(To take pre-cautions I have a backup job running on the TPP download directory lol. If this shit happens again I hope I can just put the finished files in the common folder and verify the game cache, eventually just ending up downloading the files that really are missing)

Salsa

random soldier dialogue on mother base is great

"DO YOU KNOW WHY THEY CALL THE BOSS BIG BOSS"

"HE'S FEARLESS"

"A HERO, A REAL REBEL"

"TRULY A TORTURED SOUL"

then they finish their talk and one walks on me while im like

KeOmwkh.jpg

Ludens

Banned
Yeah multiple times... Arkham knight, Ryse, Black Ops 3 Beta. I always assumed it had to do with updates being released (but even then, why the hell do I have to download basically everything again when the patch was a 30mb update and likely just changed a file or two). Not sure if TPP has been patched yet tho, so it might have been caused by something else.

(To take pre-cautions I have a backup job running on the TPP download directory lol. If this shit happens again I hope I can just put the finished files in the common folder and verify the game cache, eventually just ending up downloading the files that really are missing)

Well, at this point I'm lucky if I manage to play the game for tomorrow...and this if another update won't be released.

Vuze

Well, at this point I'm lucky if I manage to play the game for tomorrow...and this if another update won't be released.
Try not to stop the download or close steam. I just checked steam and apparently there has indeed been an update to TPP so I guess it's the same "bug" I've been experiencing in the past. Never stopped or restarted steam and I'm still downloading the launch version.

Where's the best place to report such occurrences to Valve? Guess I'll try to report it to them, it's really annoying for big releases

Dr Dogg

Steam is a fucker if you pause a download that gets an update before you have it installed. Had it happen to me numerous times and if you pause a download, restart the client or something completely out of your control like a connection drop out and the next time you connect there is a newer build all your progress will be reset. Had it happen during the BLOPs III beta most recently.

dex3108

I guess Valve fixed bug with Steam Screenshots cloud storage, now it shows correct amount of storage remaining. For me it was showing 1,9GB for months but now i have only 50MB :(

Idea for Valve, make Steam Screenshot storage tradable XD

Dr Dogg

I guess Valve fixed bug with Steam Screenshots cloud storage, now it shows correct amount of storage remaining. For me it was showing 1,9GB for months but now i have only 50MB :(

Idea for Valve, make Steam Screenshot storage tradable XD

I'd pay for Steam Cloud Pro if you had masses of space and it displayed uncompressed images and vids.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Steam has to be trolling me.

I got TWO foils for Burstfire. They are worthless.

Then just now I see I got a booster pack...

For Burstfire.

Thankfully none of them were foils, or I would have lost it.

dex3108

I'd pay for Steam Cloud Pro if you had masses of space and it displayed uncompressed images and vids.

I mean i have friends who never uploaded any screenshot on Steam. It would be nice if i could get that space for me, 2GB is nothing.

Also Mad Max screens are still not visible after upload.

Ludens

Banned
Try not to stop the download or close steam. I just checked steam and apparently there has indeed been an update to TPP so I guess it's the same "bug" I've been experiencing in the past. Never stopped or restarted steam and I'm still downloading the launch version.

Where's the best place to report such occurrences to Valve? Guess I'll try to report it to them, it's really annoying for big releases

I think Valve is aware of that, but fix it...is another thing. Valve time etc.

Also companion app for TPP is out.

SinZega

Can anyone who finished downloading metal gear solid 5 write the exact folder name for the game located in steamapps / common folder? My download reset and I don't want to download all those gbs again.

Vuze

Can anyone who finished downloading metal gear solid 5 write the exact folder name for the game located in steamapps / common folder? My download reset and I don't want to download all those gbs again.
I think you'll need the acf file too for steam to register the game.

steamapps/common/MGS_TPP

I think you'll need the acf file too for steam to register the game.

I guess I'll add the steps:
- close your steam client entirely
- copy/move the MGS_TPP to the common folder
- copy/move the acf (appmanifest_287700) to the steamapps folder
- open your steam and it'll scan the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom