• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait till someone over on Gaming picks up a steam box only to have no idea what they just bought.

Those are going to be great threads.

Same goes for the controller. There are still people out there who don't know it has a gyro or dual-stage triggers or that it doesn't require a Steam Machine, even thought every info you need is right there on the store page.... I can already see the GB QL... This HW launch is going to be sweet.

More games on Linux? A Linux compatible client? More choices available to consumers?

Why would this be a bad idea.

I think it's a terrific thing they're doing.

But if the typical average somewhat ignorant consumer tries to pick up a steam box for the same reasons that someone might pick up a prefab alienware PC ie you don't want to mess with shit and be able to play the latest releases day and date no problems then the steam box is like the last thing they should be picking up.

It's an enthusiast machine targeted at casual consumers. It's the perfect device for a consumer that doesn't exist

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can't wait till someone over on Gaming picks up a steam box only to have no idea what they just bought.

Those are going to be great threads.

I imagine they'll be like most of the threads made on other site where Christmas a few years ago parents rushed out to buy the cheapest laptop they could find - which happened to be Chromebooks. Then came the realization that little Johnny couldn't play Minecraft on it or load Microsoft Word
or play Steam games using Enhanced Steam
and posted rage threads.

The solid truth is that some people simply don't research what they're buying before spending money. I guarantee there will be threads made where someone buys a $50 Steam Link (they're selling these at Gamestop, right?) and thinks it's a full blown console that can play games.

Teggy

ss_ed55605e30791269de9e20b245dbcfef696b6683.1920x1080.jpg

Kristen Stewart?

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crimsonheadGCN, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Bits -- MB-ED38FE57647870C2

t1442947134z1.png

Knurek

I guarantee there will be threads made where someone buys a $50 Steam Link (they're selling these at Gamestop, right?) and thinks it's a full blown console that can play games.

Well, to be completely honest, it's probably more capable than Raspberry Pi, and you can play console games on the later.

Backlogger

Steam Linux is the worst idea ever.

It's not a bad idea, but anyone that buys into it today is going to be an early adopter. Problem is, as Freedom eluded to, is when the buyer doesn't realize that they are buying into a concept that is still early in its infancy in terms of publisher support.

If you already have a decent gaming PC then you can stream games to it, but if you already have a decent gaming PC then you don't need a Steam Machine, you just need a less expensive PC or SteamLink.

madjoki

what was the prize? I'm assuming it was them telling you to fuck off since I hear GMG's customer service is shit

I think GMG refunded users, but game was never removed.

My prize was a free copy of MGSV, thanks Newegg.

My retailer didn't give me one when I nicely asked. :(

But in the end I was able to claim one from manufacturer via webpage just by providing serial number of card.

I will never pre-load a game on Steam again.

I've been unpacking Soma for 1 hour now, and it took me 10 min to download the pre-load. Fun!

Yup, HDDs are bad when reading & writing to same disk. Symlinking preload cache to different drive is a good idea. (Or not bothering if you have very fast internet anyway).

Yup, HDDs are bad when reading & writing to same disk. Symlinking preload cache to different drive is a good idea. (Or not bothering if you have very fast internet anyway).

I'm on a SSD though. Is it possible to download the pre-load to one drive and then unpack it to another?

Grief.exe

I think it's a terrific thing they're doing.

But if the typical average somewhat ignorant consumer tries to pick up a steam box for the same reasons that someone might pick up a prefab alienware PC ie you don't want to mess with shit and be able to play the latest releases day and date no problems then the steam box is like the last thing they should be picking up.

It's an enthusiast machine targeted at casual consumers. It's the perfect device for a consumer that doesn't exist

I imagine they'll be like most of the threads made on other site where Christmas a few years ago parents rushed out to buy the cheapest laptop they could find - which happened to be Chromebooks. Then came the realization that little Johnny couldn't play Minecraft on it or load Microsoft Word
or play Steam games using Enhanced Steam
and posted rage threads.

The solid truth is that some people simply don't research what they're buying before spending money. I guarantee there will be threads made where someone buys a $50 Steam Link (they're selling these at Gamestop, right?) and thinks it's a full blown console that can play games.

How do you get around crippling consumer ignorance? The Steam controller threads generally turn into a trash pit despite the relevant information being readily available. Informed discussion and criticism gets pushed aside explaining simple concepts that are presented right on the home page.

fantomena

I will never pre-load a game on Steam again.

I've been unpacking Soma for 1 hour now, and it took me 10 min to download the pre-load. Fun!

Agreed. With SOMA anythough, I had abnormaly many problems. FIrst preload, then it wanted to download 2 more GBs while unpacking, Steam fucked that up so I had to uninstall the game. Then when I installed it again, Steam said it already downlaoded 8 GB, but it didn't. So I ended up with deleting everything except Steamapps and Steam exe.

How do you get around crippling consumer ignorance? The Steam controller threads generally turn into a trash pit despite the relevant information being readily available. Informed discussion and criticism gets pushed aside explaining simple concepts that are presented right on the home page.

Imo, Valve has been fucking awful with advertising Steambox, Steam link etc.

Lomax

Good advertising, good in-store displays, and educating store employees. If Valve wants Steambox to sit in Walmart and sell and succeed, that's what it needs. But given the way things have gone so far, I find that extremely unlikely.

That's actually surprising. Maybe they'll go back and do complete editions of DA2 and the Mass Effect games as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Any time an idea comes along that challenges the established way of doing things, people (aka idiots) will collectively bark about how this thing isn't the right way of doing it. People are inherently afraid of change, and fear makes people's rationale go out the window.

Every once in a while an idea or product comes along that challenge's the established way of doing things, and succeeds. This can be because of good marketing, good word of mouth, or just random chance. Successful companies know this and that's why you see an emphasis on marketing and in-store education. Suddenly this idea or product becomes the new way of doing things, and something else will eventually come along to challenge that status quo and thus the cycle continues.

Some of us are wise enough to step back and look at things objectively, and offer advice to others such as "It's okay - this is like the time when Apple challenged the established way of doing things by making a cell phone with a screen covering the entire front of the phone. It was weird at first but it caught on and spread like wildfire and now it's almost impossible to find a cell phone that doesn't do this."

I'm inclined to think that this has been a part of human nature for a long time. Even though it's often poked fun at, it's still very much a real problem especially in the age where this shift can happen in a span of years when it used to happen in a span of lifetimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom