• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

"Soccer" comes from British English and is from "Association Football" which is soccer's actual name. So American's calling it Soccer are more pure than Euroscrubs who just call it by the generic name "Football" and completely omit any reference to its defining adjective.

Europe fails again.
Some of us moved on. But hey, what I am talking about. It's the country that is clawing at the concept of the imperial system.

Ozium

Some of us moved on. But hey, what I am talking about. It's the country that is clawing at the concept of the imperial system.

"clinging" not "clawing"

also the imperial system of measurements is better.. it's more poetic and romantic.. euro-peons love to say shit like "hurr durr muricans are so dumb hurr" and yet we don't need to dumb down our measurement system to make everything divisible by 10 like Johnny and Susie learns to count.

#thingsthatmakeyougohmm

1362713678_black-kid-crying-tear.gif

Hinomura

Windows 10 saves itself to the mobo and account right? So that if a new HDD is in there it'll be ok right? If I can ever get to that point.

I do hope I'm not late on this but NOPE, it doesn't store on MB and it doesn't store on MS servers. It stores your info on your HDD only. This is the "official" answer form MS techs over hours and hours of telephone calls.

I upgraded from 7 to 10, activated it, even linked to an hotmail account I had, then made a "real" clean install (formatting the HDD) and the result was the infamous "Please buy a w10 key, you bastard" in the bottom right corner of the screen.

If you're going to install W10 on a new HDD (or if you format it) you have to install the previous OS again, activate it, patch it to death, and then upgrade to W10.

PROTIP 1: already said but patch the "old" OS to death before upgrading to 10.
PROTIP 2: install previous OS and 10 with the least connected hardware possible. Took out extra HDDs, wifi adapters, etc and then wait 10 to be fully updated before reinstalling the hardware, possibly pieace by piece (turn off, physically install hw, turn on, load win, install drivers etc, turn off again and go on with the next hw piece and so on). Failing to follow this PROTIP might bring BSOD + hardware hangup (in this case it doesn't even log what happened).

Jawmuncher

I do hope I'm not late on this but NOPE, it doesn't store on MB and it doesn't store on MS server. It stores your info on your HDD only. This is the "official" answer form MS techs over hours and hours of telephone calls.

I upgraded from 7 to 10, activated it, even linked to an hotmail account I had, then made a "real" clean install (formatting the HDD) and the result was the infamous "Please buy a w10 key, you bastard" in the bottom right corner of the screen.

If you're going to install W10 on a new HDD (or if you format it) you have to install the previous OS again, activate it, patch it to death, and then upgrade to W10.

PROTIP 1: already said but patch the "old" OS to death before upgrading to 10.
PROTIP 2: install previous OS and 10 with the least connected hardware possible. Took out extra HDDs, wifi adapters, etc and then wait 10 to be fully updated before reinstalling the hardware, possibly pieace by piece (turn off, physically install hw, turn on, load win, install drivers etc, turn off again and go on with the next hw piece and so on). Failing to follow this PROTIP might bring BSOD + hardware hangup (in this case it doesn't even log what happened).

Oh god. Things are looking even more bleak. If I reinstall Windows 7 from a new disk but use my old cd key will that work or is it gonna ask me to buy from that as well?

Hinomura

Oh god. Things are looking even more bleak. If I reinstall Windows 7 from a new disk but use my old cd key will that work or is it gonna ask me to buy from that as well?

If you install a new version of W7 (ie with service pack etc) with an old W7 key it works perfectly. It even works if the language differs.

dex3108

When i cloned my System drive from HDD to SSD my windows was deactivated (Win 8.1) and i simply called MS support in my country and they activated Win again. And i said them that i changed my HDD.

Jawmuncher

If you install a new version of W7 (ie with service pack etc) with an old W7 key it works perfectly. It even works if the language differs.

When i cloned my System drive from HDD to SSD my windows was deactivated (Win 8.1) and i simply called MS support in my country and they activated Win again. And i said them that i changed my HDD.

Ok well looks like the plan has changed. Let's see what I can get a hold of and if it'll work.

derExperte

This thread gettin' real feisty.

That's what happens when you talk about football, every thread is more fun instantly!

I do hope I'm not late on this but NOPE, it doesn't store on MB and it doesn't store on MS servers. It stores your info on your HDD only. This is the "official" answer form MS techs over hours and hours of telephone calls.

Wait, this can't be right, can it? Because the official answer indeed is that the hardware id and Win key gets stored in your MS account. Maybe something else went wrong in your case?

Hinomura

And this too. In the case the W7 keys refuses to work (it should, but you can't be sure with MS - usually with W7 and older OSes it was the change of MB that caused CD keys not to work anymore) call them and say you've just changed the HDD and they'll activate it without fuss.

Hinomura

Wait, this can't be right. The official answer indeed is that the hardware id and Win key gets stored in your MS account. Maybe something else went wrong in your case?
After speaking with many "not very informed" people I'd the luck to speak with techs.

And it's what I asked to the MS techs. And they said that no, the key is stored on HDD only. If you change or format the HDD you have to reinstall the old OS and the re-upgrade it.

The question is, what will happen when it won't be free anymore to upgrade and you have to change/format the boot HDD?

Accoun

Because of that "games radically redesigned before release" thread I've been reading up again about various leaked S.T.A.L.K.E.R. builds. I just love how much of that game was leaked and how you can observe how actually the game changed during the development. Hell, the earliest leaked builds are nothing more than simple engine tests, not even labeled as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Kinda shame the best resource about is is a Russian wiki, which I don't understand at all. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom