• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3n4ud

After speaking with many "not very informed" people I'd the luck to speak with techs.

And it's what I asked to the MS techs. And they said that no, the key is stored on HDD only. If you change or format the HDD you have to reinstall the old OS and the re-upgrade it.

The question is, what will happen when it won't be free anymore to upgrade and you have to change/format the boot HDD?
Really? Then what about clean installs?

Has Nuuvem ever had coupons? I feel like I've been using them for a few years at this point and I've never seen one despite there being a box for it. Which is fine of course when their prices are lower than anywhere else even with coupons.

Edit 2: Nevermind, lol. Didn't click on paypal.

tuxfool

Banned
After speaking with many "not very informed" people I'd the luck to speak with techs.

And it's what I asked to the MS techs. And they said that no, the key is stored on HDD only. If you change or format the HDD you have to reinstall the old OS and the re-upgrade it.

The question is, what will happen when it won't be free anymore to upgrade and you have to change/format the boot HDD?

Surely you can extract the windows key? There are programs that let you find it.

I thought that if you install Win10 it gets converted into into a Win10 key.

Hinomura

Really? Then what about clean installs?

That's the trick. For "clean install" they mean to do the upgrade and then select to discard old OS apps and docs. It's not a "real" clean install.

I can't tell for sure if you have to ugprade normally and then make a restore unselecting docs and apps, or if you can directly select to not keep docs and apps while upgrading the first time; since it wasn't my case I didn't asked for it, but on the web you can find very discording information on it and how to do it.

The only thing I'm sure is that if you format/change HDD you have to reinstall old OS and upgrade it to 10.

Has Nuuvem ever had coupons? I feel like I've been using them for a few years at this point and I've never seen one despite there being a box for it. Which is fine of course when their prices are lower than anywhere else even with coupons.

Edit 2: Nevermind, lol. Didn't click on paypal.

they've had promo codes before...sometimes for specific games and sometimes for anything but they aren't like GMG with vouchers 24/7

Jawmuncher

Ok cool I'll just make a system repair disc that I found in Windows 7 from backup and Restore.

Microsoft Repair Disc had stopped working

tumblr_ljdz6nNHJf1qzj01e.gif

Kill me

r3n4ud

That's the trick. For "clean install" they mean to do the upgrade and then select to discard old OS apps and docs. It's not a "real" clean install.

I can't tell for sure if you have to ugprade normally and then make a restore unselecting docs and apps, or if you can directly select to not keep docs and apps while upgrading the first time; since it wasn't my case I didn't asked for it, but on the web you can find very discording information on it and how to do it.

The only thing I'm sure is that if you format/change HDD you have to reinstall old OS and upgrade it to 10.

Really weird

Ok cool I'll just make a system repair disc that I found in Windows 7 from backup and Restore.

Microsoft Repair Disc had stopped working

tumblr_ljdz6nNHJf1qzj01e.gif

Kill me

Time for you to turn to consoles. Sorry.

Hinomura

Surely you can extract the windows key? There are programs that let you find it.

I thought that if you install Win10 it gets converted into into a Win10 key.

No, what you get when using one of those tools in this case is a generic key.

Exactly, you got a generic key.

If MS gave away keys while upgrading to 10 it would be fine; I can't understand why they chose this other way, probably there was a way to exploit it, or, it was simply a bad decision.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Derek Smart tries to stay relevant by lecturing Star Citizen & Elite Dangerous devs

Hold on, some websites can convert it. Pls frgv autogenerated errors, I only cleaned it up a bit:

August 26, 2015
Mr. Keith L. Cooper De La Pena & Holiday LLP
One Embarcadero Center, Ste. 2860
San Francisco, CA 94111

Re : Derek Smart - Your letter of August 21, 2015

Dear Mr. Cooper,

With respect to your above referenced letter, we are certainly aware of your client's rants on his internet blog and other internet message boards with his false and defamatory allegations. He has also released personal address information for some senior executives of the company, and our counsel are reviewing in this regard various legal actions for defamation and cyber stalking.

Your client backed the "Star Citizen" project in 2012 with a pledge of $250. He commenced his defamatory actions in early July 2015 by alleging on his blog -without any basis or backup, and with many links to his own game in development -that the "Star Citizen" project was a fraud and that it was never going to be delivered. He pointed to "buggy" performances of the modules released as well as other deficiencies.

We were surprised about his claims, because our records indicate that he actually never downloaded and installed the game. He also unsubscribed from our email list very soon after having backed the project. Nonetheless, and in response to his eagerly promoted postings, we contacted him via email to advise him that given his concerns we were gladly refunding him his pledge (see Exhibit 1). In his response, your client thanked us for the refund and advised us of the address to which the refund check should be sent (see Exhibit 2). The refund check was mailed promptly (Exhibit 3).

Our regular accounting audits revealed after 30 days that the check had not been cashed while it had not been returned as undeliverable either. We researched the address and had to find out that the address given by your client does not exist. We contacted your client again via email„ only to find out that he indeed had provided us with a false address. He claimed that "streets had been renamed" (see Exhibit 4) but there is certainly no record of that. We have to assume that your client deliberately tried to prevent the refund from reaching him so that he would be able to continue his unfounded claim of being "aggrieved." Be that as it may, we have put a stop payment on the first check, and a second check has been sent today, this time via tracked courier shipment.

Your client's defamatory claims are entirely without merit and include unfounded allegations that the funds raised for the project were used improperly, even fraudulently. In this vain, your client is now asking for a "forensic accounting" to be made available to him. Firstly, there is obviously no legal basis for your client's request and your letter cites no such authority. Secondly, the ample information provided regularly on our extensive website, including monthly progress reports from each studio, published headcounts and the like, would enable any person familiar with the cost of game development to assess the proper spending of the funds raised. Your client claims to be such an experienced person, so we are a bit perplexed about this demand coming in particular from him. However, your client's past career performance, including struggles with tax liens and a bankruptcy proceeding, begs the question what makes him think that he is even qualified to review and properly assess the information demanded by him. The complete absence of any functioning or successful game having ever been released by him in his 20+ year "career" of game development further raises the question why he would consider himself qualified to cast any judgment on "Star Citizen." Unlike his endeavors in the game development field, "Star Citizen" and the modules and work released to date have received enthusiastic responses in the game community and press, a success that continues unimpeded despite your client's desperate efforts to harm it for his own publicity gains.

In the internet age every successful venture will have to deal with trolls. Your client's online communications combine baseless allegations with personal insults while at the same time promoting himself and his nascent and not yet functional game - the facts speak for themselves. We are certainly more than ready and willing to respond to any legal action that your client wishes to instigate.

In sum, your client's allegations and demands are completely without basis and hereby rejected in their entirety.

Nothing in this letter is intended to be, or is, a waiver of any rights of the Company or its senior executives who have been subject to abuse by your client. All such rights are expressly reserved. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Ortwin Freyermuth
Co-Founter, Vice-Chairman
& General Counsel

cc: William P. Donovan Jr., Esq., Cooley LLP

Jawmuncher

Oh neat Microsoft offers the iso if you put your product key in.

"The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

In throwing in the towel at this point. I need to think of how to approach this with a clear mind.

Have you checked if your HDD needs drivers before using tools / installing OS?

I'm trying to get off of a dying sea gate to a brand new western digital HDD. At this point the only option I seem to have is buying a new copy of Windows which I really don't want to do.

"The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

In throwing in the towel at this point. I need to think of how to approach this with a clear mind.

Oh that's right you have a pre-built. Hmm, forgot about that.

Echoplx

Nope. I did a clean format after upgrading and it worked fine.

Salsa

been playing the shovel knight dlc on 3ds

plague knight is cool. I dont get the control complaints. he feels actually novel and refreshing for this sort of game.

iosefe

so someone walks into my store asking about Skylanders

we tell then we don't sell that. i proceed to tell them about the upcoming LEGO Dimensions release.

am i doing it right?

Ozium

been playing the shovel knight dlc on 3ds

plague knight is cool. I dont get the control complaints. he feels actually novel and refreshing for this sort of game.

control complaints are mainly from people who skipped the main cinematic that explains how to use your bomb burst jump thing...

plus they are probably not playing with teh superior Nintendo D-Pad... I should really get this game on Wii U (I have it on Steam) or else I should buy a Wii U Pro Controller and use it on Steam if such a thing is even possible.. I dont want to joy2key because it is malware edit: maybe joy2key is not malware, some dualshock one is though swear on me mum

Didn't know this was a full game and not a smaller title like Korra, neat.

Smaller?

I mean I guess so but didn't Korra launch at 15 or 20 bucks?

This is $50.

control complaints are mainly from people who skipped the main cinematic that explains how to use your bomb burst jump thing...

plus they are probably not playing with teh superior Nintendo D-Pad... I should really get this game on Wii U (I have it on Steam) or else I should buy a Wii U Pro Controller and use it on Steam if such a thing is even possible..

I wish the Pro controller had actual stuff in it so I could use it on PC without bluetooth :(.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
so someone walks into my store asking about Skylanders

we tell then we don't sell that. i proceed to tell them about the upcoming LEGO Dimensions release.

am i doing it right?

As long as you were also able to sell them on 70403 while they were there, then yes.

derExperte

Smaller?

I mean I guess so but didn't Korra launch at 15 or 20 bucks?

This is $50.

Well this is 20 too if you buy the PC version outside of Steam. So either someone is getting ripped off or we are getting a hell of a deal. Since it's Activision I think you know what's happening.

What about contacting the manufacturer and asking for a recovery media?

Hinomura

Nope. I did a clean format after upgrading and it worked fine.

The plot tickens.

It's what I did and after a few days I got the infamous message in the bottom right corner.
MS techs on the phone assured me that wiping out the partitions and formatting it from scratch means "losing the key". Did you wipe out everything included hidden partitions before formatting?

Hinomura

I'm trying to get off of a dying sea gate to a brand new western digital HDD. At this point the only option I seem to have is buying a new copy of Windows which I really don't want to do.
Can't you get a working disc / iso anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom