• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top of page reminder than Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is on sale and you should own it already.
0000000607.jpg
This could be you!
Could anybody help me out because I'm getting incredibly frustrated with pc gaming, since I've had this laptop I had nothing but dissapointment really.. Let me start with the start, I'll put my specs here so someone could actually see if I overestimated this laptop or if there's something else going on.
The specs are as following: It's an msi laptop with a nvidia GTX970M, an I7-4720HQ @ 2.60ghz and 16 gigs of ram.

Now this laptop cost me quite much it was €1849 and I expected to play newer games atleast at 60 fps on medium to high, I mean that isn't too much to ask from something that is so costly right? Most ps4 games play at medium to high at 30 fps but it also costs more than 4 times less than this laptop.

Now anyways to get to the point, only 1 game I've bought for pc has been working like I was hoping it would and that was Mad Max. The rest of the games including: Rome 2: Total War, Heroes of the storm, world of warcraft and now the worst of them all; The Witcher 3 has not been running like I hoped it would run.

I've bought TW3 yesterday and it is not running like I would have hoped it would run, it's not even running at 60 fps on medium. It's always around 40-45 with some drops to the lower 30s.
I've played the game for like 20 minutes and quit out of frustration that I have wasted so much money on this laptop.
Could anybody please tell me that this is normal and that the laptop is just too weak to play the newest games or is there something wrong? I really could use something here, thanks in advance.

Nvidia saw your post and have corrected the issue. Now that's customer service, sorta.
But seriously, mobile GPUs aren't going to stand up to desktop GPUs. It's an issue of heat and power draw as much as it is architecture. Further, a laptop's cost comes down to its portability more than anything.

Looking at your GPU(?) and the Witcher 3's minimum req GPU makes me think you're getting appropriate performance. Just make sure to update the drivers (I'm assuming laptops are handled the same) and you'll be as good as you can get. I'm not the best at reading GPU specs, though, so consider that as well.

If you think there's a deeper issue or need more general help try the Tech Support GAF thread. There's some knowledgeable people there that will be able to lend a hand. It'll also give you a lot more visibility, as the Steam thread tends to move really fast.

One other thing if you're not aware: in TW3, turn off Nvidia hairworks if it's enabled. It really kills the framerate, even on Nvidia cards. (It's a very demanding feature, simulating 'natural' hair, fur, cloth, and tree physics.)

Tizoc

Top of page reminder than Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is on sale and you should own it already.

This could be you!

Nvidia saw your post and have corrected the issue. Now that's customer service, sorta.
But seriously, mobile GPUs aren't going to stand up to desktop GPUs. It's an issue of heat and power draw as much as it is architecture. Further, a laptop's cost comes down to its portability more than anything.

Looking at your GPU(?) and the Witcher 3's minimum req GPU makes me think you're getting appropriate performance. Just make sure to update the drivers (I'm assuming laptops are handled the same) and you'll be as good as you can get. I'm not the best at reading GPU specs, though, so consider that as well.

If you think there's a deeper issue or need more general help try the Tech Support GAF thread. There's some knowledgeable people there that will be able to lend a hand. It'll also give you a lot more visibility, as the Steam thread tends to move really fast.

One other thing if you're not aware: in TW3, turn off Nvidia hairworks if it's enabled. It really kills the framerate, even on Nvidia cards. (It's a very demanding feature, simulating 'natural' hair, fur, cloth, and tree physics.)

Post the GIF of someone turning the floor to ice and having enemies fall off the ledges there.

Uzzy

PC ain't ever getting Destiny is it? Feels like if it would have happened, it would have happened now with Taken King in some sort of complete edition. What a strange strange move. It's not exclusive and it's a fucking loot game

I'm sure it's coming. Bungie's last PC game was Myth 2 in 1998, so there might not be a lot of PC game development skills there.

Could anybody help me out because I'm getting incredibly frustrated with pc gaming, since I've had this laptop I had nothing but dissapointment really.. Let me start with the start, I'll put my specs here so someone could actually see if I overestimated this laptop or if there's something else going on.
The specs are as following: It's an msi laptop with a nvidia GTX970M, an I7-4720HQ @ 2.60ghz and 16 gigs of ram.

Now this laptop cost me quite much it was €1849 and I expected to play newer games atleast at 60 fps on medium to high, I mean that isn't too much to ask from something that is so costly right? Most ps4 games play at medium to high at 30 fps but it also costs more than 4 times less than this laptop.

Now anyways to get to the point, only 1 game I've bought for pc has been working like I was hoping it would and that was Mad Max. The rest of the games including: Rome 2: Total War, Heroes of the storm, world of warcraft and now the worst of them all; The Witcher 3 has not been running like I hoped it would run.

I've bought TW3 yesterday and it is not running like I would have hoped it would run, it's not even running at 60 fps on medium. It's always around 40-45 with some drops to the lower 30s.
I've played the game for like 20 minutes and quit out of frustration that I have wasted so much money on this laptop.
Could anybody please tell me that this is normal and that the laptop is just too weak to play the newest games or is there something wrong? I really could use something here, thanks in advance.

It's normal. Just be sure your power plan is on Balanced for decent performance. (you can change your power plan by going to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Power Options)

Doesn't Destiny have a ten-year DLC plan or something?

For real?
They're in for WoW competitor on consoles, huh.

I may be sounded harsh, but laptop gaming is not PC gaming. Mobile gpu just don't cut it to play newest games at the best performance. My brother in law have an MSI gaming laptop with GTX670M (bought in 2013) as well and it can barely run newer games on medium (even low) settings at reasonable framerates.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Also be sure that your Nvidia gpu is on. You can download the Optimus test tool.

Some games have to be added to the Nvidia list, so open the nvidia control panel, go to manage 3d settings, program settings and you might have to add the exe to the list.

here's a short video explaining that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz4dG_lA4Ug

also, like The Automator said, check your power settings. I usually just leave it on High Performance unless I plan on unplugging it. Many a times I have forgotten to turn it to high performance mode until after I game, d'oh.

To get most out of the battery life, dim the screen, turn off unnecessary power drains such as the screen brightness and bluetooth. Go to advance settings on the Windows power options, to mess around with it.

I may be sounded harsh, but laptop gaming is not PC gaming. Mobile gpu just don't cut it to play newest games at the best performance. My brother in law have an MSI gaming laptop with GTX670M (bought in 2013) as well and it can barely run newer games on medium (even low) settings at reasonable framerates.
tumblr_mkf9ftcKdu1r2srhyo5_r1_250.gif

Em, no. I run games fine on my laptop. The desktop user is of course going to be the most powerful one, but mobile gaming chips are becoming incredibly good.

tumblr_mkf9ftcKdu1r2srhyo5_r1_250.gif

Em, no. I run games fine on my laptop. The desktop user is of course going to be the most powerful one, but mobile gaming chips are becoming incredibly good.
Cute gif <3, but to be honest, 600 series mobile chips are lackluster, 660m is only as powerful as a GT 550.
For real?
They're in for WoW competitor on consoles, huh.
They said something along those lines to push season pass sales IIRC.
So. Married now (see the other thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1114879) and have more time for my other waifu SteamGAF again.

(need to change my low-res avatar too...)
congrats

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
That, and MSI actually putting a desktop chip into the chassis for their gaming notebooks is impressive. It'll be loud as hell though.

I was priced out of a 980m, but I'm happy with my purchase.

dex3108

I still don't see what people see in Destiny. When they announced that game I was so hyped for epic space game, and artwork was awesome. But after release I was actually glad that game is not on PC. Huge letdown for me. And with every DLC/expansion they are screwing people one way or another. But people are supporting them so I guess they can keep doing it.

Finished Game 50 for the Year:

I liked the idea of it but it just turns out to be a thoroughly average and forgettable experience. The design is quite nice but derivative and the graphics fuzzy. There are 50 levels, some take only a couple of seconds, some take far too long due to the inconsistency and exacting demands of the physics system.

You goal is to move a black ball from entrance to exit via hitting it with pinball paddles, opening and closing sliders, setting up rebounds and most importantly timing everything correctly.

47 of the 50 levels are quite simple while of the other 3, one requires the pixel perfect arrangement of two sliders to set up a ricochet, another requires you to use a demolition ball to hit the ball into the exit and is endlessly frustrating while the third requires you to release another ball to hit the main ball twice but sadly due to the mentioned, we'll call it randomness to be nice, if you release the ball at the same time you might get it on the first try or the 100th and there is really nothing you can do to improve your chances. I quite liked the arkanoid/pinball level even if the control system couldn't really handle it.

Another in the long list of minimalist hour long puzzle games on steam, some are great, some are terrible and some are just meh. This is meh...

Bought a new copy of Splinter Cell Blacklist for $4 from EB Games.
Even when I already have it thanks to humble bundle. I couldn't resist the price :lol

fertygo

My pc is nuked because my own stupity, really bummer because instead saving for new build I had to buy same old mobo again for my amd am3 socket, this sucks.

Coreda

Has anyone tried this method of moving Steam game directories recently? Found it from a 2013 post.

1. Move the game directory to the new location which is already one of the alternate install paths in the Steam settings.

2. Select the game in Steam and click Delete Local Content.

3. Steam will try to delete the local files from the original location but since you've moved the directory will give you the option to install the game again.

4. Click Install and select the new install path and Steam will recognize the files you've copied and verify them.​

Has anyone tried this method of moving Steam game directories recently? Found it from a 2013 post.

1. Move the game directory to the new location which is already one of the alternate install paths in the Steam settings.

3. Steam will try to delete the local files from the original location but since you've moved the directory will give you the option to install the game again.

4. Click Install and select the new install path and Steam will recognize the files you've copied and verify them.​

Last time I tried re-discovering installed steam games after an OS reinstalled the results using your basic method the results were patchy. For some games it found them, some needed some files re-downloaded while others wanted to start downloading from scratch again.

I'd use steam-mover/steamtools, I've never had a problem with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's easier to use symbolic links/junction points, which is how tools like Steam Mover function. The above offers zero benefit and takes more time. If you already have a secondary library folder set up in Steam, you can also just move the ACF file and installation folder there (e.g. Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_730.acf to D:\More Steam games\steamapps and Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive to D:\More Steam games\steamapps\common).

Arthea

Spandex Force: Champion Rising
is a superhero comedy game.

good:
silly superhero game
powerz
cats minigame is hilarious, very stupidly hilarious
kinda nice match game concept

bad:
resolution, like it has no such a thing to talk about, almost unplayable in windowed mode for this reason alone.
nothing carrying to new playthroughs while a game having ridiculous time limit (I managed to aquire all powerz, but didn't even got money for half of my headquarters upgrades in that time) and got time run out ending, seriously?

neutral:
all else

and here comes one of my worst purchases

Mystical on paper sounded awesome, quote: a new kind of puzzle game, where you collect hundreds of items and combine them all, unquote.
What's not to like? Well... it's a damn boring game. Firstly rules are explained so poorly that I can't even find words to say how bad it is, but you get a hang of it while playing, only playing it is not fun at all. It has time limits, but there is no real speed of playing it, because you have to wait for certain items to drop, then you indeed combine them by spending money and using magnifying glass and then get scores. As you can see, time limit does nothing only annoy you, because nothing is really dependant on you, you don't solve puzzles, you don't speed up, you don't do a thing except making pairs and trios and wait for items to drop... all the time and then time runs out... well, not always but sometimes it does, in later levels.
To make long story short, I shouldn't have bought it, it's just no fun at all.

edited: actually I take my words back, you do solve one puzzle, set of rules for playing this game.

Coreda

I'd use steam-mover/steamtools, I've never had a problem with it.

Looks like they both use NTFS Junctions to achieve this, so they're not actually moving the directory but instead making a junction that Windows treats as a pseudo-link to a different location.

Steam should just include 'move install directory' functionality in the client. You know they never will but they should.

It's easier to use symbolic links/junction points, which is how tools like Steam Mover function. The above offers zero benefit and takes more time.

It offers the benefit of actually not having to build junction links and having Steam actually detect it's located where it should be. Problem is it apparently isn't always effective.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looks like they both use NTFS Junctions to achieve this, so they're not actually moving the directory but instead making a junction that Windows treats as a pseudo-link to a different location.

Because it is a link to a different location. The data is moved.

It offers the benefit of actually not having to build junction links and having Steam actually detect it's located where it should be. Problem is it apparently isn't always effective.

But there's no inherent downside to building junction points or having to "trick" Steam into looking in the right place. Regardless, as I said, there's another alternative: set up a library folder and move the files/folders there yourself. Since the ACF file is what tells Steam a game is installed, you don't need to wait for it to verify the data (and risk it failing).

Coreda

Because it is a link to a different location. The data is moved.

Yes, I should have phrased that differently. The directory is moved but Steam still thinks it's stored in the old location, effectively.

But there's no inherent downside to building junction points or having to "trick" Steam into looking in the right place.

It's a kludge, that's all. Necessary only because Steam devs haven't made things easy. I'll have to end up using it probably but it's silly.

Regardless, as I said, there's another alternative: set up a library folder and move the files/folders there yourself. Since the ACF file is what tells Steam a game is installed, you don't need to wait for it to verify the data (and risk it failing).

May try this.

Arthea

Finished Game 50 for the Year:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/390910/header.jpg?t=1442985454[/IMG[/URL]

I liked the idea of it but it just turns out to be a thoroughly average and forgettable experience. The design is quite nice but derivative and the graphics fuzzy. There are 50 levels, some take only a couple of seconds, some take far too long due to the inconsistency and exacting demands of the physics system.

You goal is to move a black ball from entrance to exit via hitting it with pinball paddles, opening and closing sliders, setting up rebounds and most importantly timing everything correctly.

47 of the 50 levels are quite simple while of the other 3, one requires the pixel perfect arrangement of two sliders to set up a ricochet, another requires you to use a demolition ball to hit the ball into the exit and is endlessly frustrating while the third requires you to release another ball to hit the main ball twice but sadly due to the mentioned, we'll call it randomness to be nice, if you release the ball at the same time you might get it on the first try or the 100th and there is really nothing you can do to improve your chances. I quite liked the arkanoid/pinball level even if the control system couldn't really handle it.

Another in the long list of minimalist hour long puzzle games on steam, some are great, some are terrible and some are just meh. This is meh...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this writeup, it having positive reviews made me put it in "things to play" list, but now I'll probably reconsider. 2014 year was so awesome for puzzle games, 2015 plain sucks so far. If not for Letter Quest, it would be an empty year in that regard. All my hopes are with [B]Paint it Back[/B], it should save me from those puzzle games that are not fun, or unnecessary frustrating, or boring or have no puzzling of any kind.

edited: I just remembered Unium, this one was OK.

How long till a delisted game is worth billions? Got some Wheelman
Project Night
in my inventory.

I'm still trying to work out what to do with the Estetiikka in my inventory, never really been much into trading scene.

Thanks for this writeup, it having positive reviews made me put it in "things to play" list, but now I'll probably reconsider. 2014 year was so awesome for puzzle games, 2015 plain sucks so far. If not for Letter Quest, it would be an empty year in that regard. All my hopes are with Paint it Back, it should save me from those puzzle games that are not fun, or unnecessary frustrating, or boring or has no puzzling of any kind.

Letter Quest remastered was fantastic, finished the "story" but I want to get into the endless stuff soon.

Hook and Transplan are both pretty good and more importantly the physics are consistent in transplan. Though both suffer from the 80% of the levels are just setup and tutorials for the mechanics and then the last few levels are the real meat.

Ozium

JaseC how do you feel about potential +1s being removed even before they arise upon the Steam Store to purchase

They are to be hated by most but loved by some but there are those who do not want to allow such things !

Knurek

Steam crashed for the third time since updating to the latest beta. Anyone else having this problem?

It constantly hangs for me while updating some games (ETS2 comes to mind).
It does take a while on some, but with ETS2 I usually just force quit after 20-30 minutes.
Not sure what's causing that.

Arthea

Letter Quest remastered was fantastic, finished the "story" but I want to get into the endless stuff soon.

Hook and Transplan are both pretty good and more importantly the physics are consistent in transplan. Though both suffer from the 80% of the levels are just setup and tutorials for the mechanics and then the last few levels are the real meat.

I didn't like endless mode much, it felt empty and pointless, the story mode is far superior.

I guess Transplan was OK, not particularly fun, but passable and short. I don't remember Hook for some reason, lemme check

edited: oh yeah, I need to play Hook! somehow it got lost among my 200+ now playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom