• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my birthday, but my giveaway will be pretty small if I can find any codes, and not until late. I have a ton of stuff to do right now.
Happy birthday, Doc!

lEwACD5.png

Vlad

Finished Game 50 for the Year:

I liked the idea of it but it just turns out to be a thoroughly average and forgettable experience. The design is quite nice but derivative and the graphics fuzzy. There are 50 levels, some take only a couple of seconds, some take far too long due to the inconsistency and exacting demands of the physics system.

You goal is to move a black ball from entrance to exit via hitting it with pinball paddles, opening and closing sliders, setting up rebounds and most importantly timing everything correctly.

47 of the 50 levels are quite simple while of the other 3, one requires the pixel perfect arrangement of two sliders to set up a ricochet, another requires you to use a demolition ball to hit the ball into the exit and is endlessly frustrating while the third requires you to release another ball to hit the main ball twice but sadly due to the mentioned, we'll call it randomness to be nice, if you release the ball at the same time you might get it on the first try or the 100th and there is really nothing you can do to improve your chances. I quite liked the arkanoid/pinball level even if the control system couldn't really handle it.

Another in the long list of minimalist hour long puzzle games on steam, some are great, some are terrible and some are just meh. This is meh...

Yeah, I ended up giving up on this one after a while. I was hoping for something more akin to NightSky, but Collisions is just a miss. Way too many of the levels are just you having to luck into the right timing, and if you fail, it takes way, way too long for the ball to reset. Yes, developer, it's nice that you made a physics-based chain system to bring the ball back to the start, but the novelty wore off when I saw it for the 20th time.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do you have some extensions installed? They show up as links for me on Chrome, Edge, Firefox

Are you sure you don't have an extension installed? They show up for me like Veggie on 2 different windows computers running chrome and the mobile chrome browser.

Annubis

I'm trying to 'thumb up' a review on Steam and I get: "Your account does not have sufficient privileges to perform this action."

Huh?

r3n4ud

I'm trying to 'thumb up' a review on Steam and I get: "Your account does not have sufficient privileges to perform this action."

Huh?

Are you subscribed to Steam Gold? You must be subscribed for thumbs up/down.

Probably a bug. Are you in Steam beta?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's my birthday, but my giveaway will be pretty small if I can find any codes, and not until late. I have a ton of stuff to do right now.

Congrats on another year, Doc <3

This killed by Hawks ending for Hatoful Boyfriend.

lol. What did I just play?

Merely the tip of the iceberg.

Or should I say... the tip of the scalpel?

Garbage.

One of my worst purchases of the year.

You did two routes, you missed the entire point of the game.

Dsyndrome

Interesting. On Chrome (has WebM for NeoGaf addon) it shows as links..

..but on Firefox (has WebM for NeoGaf addon + YouTubeMeAgain via Greasemonkey) not. (Even if I disable either one addon)
Mind looks like the second pic on Chrome.

Getting back into the new order, seeing how much differently it plays with a DS4 vice keyboard and mouse. I can definitely slide easier than before, at least.

You did two routes, you missed the entire point of the game.

Any game where I need to play it 5-10 times over to get the "real" ending is a waste of time. Nor were the little breadcrumbs obtained after the two endings interesting or compelling in any way.

Besides, it not only has very little variation between the routes that I saw, but the jokes fell flat. Someone here told me about the "Pudding" joke, but it's just a bird saying how much he loves pudding over and over. Fell completely flat.

Had I wrote a review about this on Steam, I would have eviscerated it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Any game where I need to play it 5-10 times over to get the "real" ending is a waste of time.

Besides, it not only has very little variation between the routes that I saw, but the jokes fell flat. Someone here told me about the "Pudding" joke, but it's just a bird saying how much he loves pudding over and over. Fell completely flat.

Had I wrote a review about his on Steam, I would have eviscerated it.

Not my fault you have the patience of a hand grenade, nor the game's fault either. How can you say it's a waste of time if you don't actually know what is really there? The game's routes take 40 minutes at most to get through, unless you're a really slow reader or don't skip the dialog you've already seen. Is every game that takes longer than a half an hour automatically terrible, too? You're expecting the game to work by the rules of other games and that just does not work. Visual Novels very often operate exactly like this, and trying to judge it based off of some preconceived notion of how a game should absolutely 100% play out is why your opinion is invalid.

Come back to it with an open mind, especially since you've already played one of the games it lampoons with its initial paths (Otome games like Amnesia: Memories) and find the true ending. Everyone who has listened to my advice on this hasn't regretted it.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Phil Spencer explains the benefit of releasing Xbox games on PC

VentureBeat said:
GamesBeat: I&#8217;m reading Robbie Bach&#8217;s book.

Spencer: I haven&#8217;t read it yet! How is it?

GamesBeat: I&#8217;m about halfway through. The first half is dedicated to the Xbox side, as opposed to his political work. There&#8217;s one fact that jumped out, where he said that the original Xbox lost maybe $5 billion to $7 billion, depending on how you do the accounting.

Spencer: That&#8217;s a big investment.

GamesBeat: They got a lot of leeway to experiment.

Spencer: For me, the profit thing&#8212;The most important thing there is, I think you should buy an Xbox One. I&#8217;ll tell you that right off. If you haven&#8217;t bought one I think you should buy one. When I say that, I want to know, as the head of the platform, that Microsoft is long on supporting that platform.

Microsoft is a publicly traded company. We need to be running a business. For me, the business aspect of Xbox One, clearly it&#8217;s the scorecard that Wall Street looks at companies with. But at the same time, as someone making a commitment to the people who buy our consoles and our games, I know that if I&#8217;m not running a viable business in the long run, I won&#8217;t be here.

On the profitability and the financial success, that&#8217;s what drives me. I love this product. I love what the brand means. I love what it can become. In order for us to realize what we want to realize, the financials have to work. This is why at certain times, when people will push on, &#8220;Hey, should Xbox console games go to PC? Why are you guys focusing on Windows?&#8221;&#8212;People have to step back and see that the more games we sell, the more people who are buying games on Xbox Live, the better the business is and the more we can invest in it. For Xbox fans, it creates more opportunity.

You see the lineup of games we have right now and say it&#8217;s the best lineup we&#8217;ve ever had. That&#8217;s because you get into a stronger financial position and you&#8217;re able to invest more and see the benefit of that investment. If selling games on Windows and Xbox means we get to invest more and build more, that&#8217;s a great thing for people who care about the Xbox brand.

Any game where I need to play it 5-10 times over to get the "real" ending is a waste of time. Nor were the little breadcrumbs obtained after the two endings interesting or compelling in any way.

Had I wrote a review about this on Steam, I would have eviscerated it.

Dear God, don't pick up Zero Escape games, they rely on manipulation of repetition even more so.

Not my fault you have the patience of a hand grenade, nor the game's fault either. How can you say it's a waste of time if you don't actually know what is really there? The game's routes take 40 minutes at most to get through, unless you're a really slow reader or don't skip the dialog you've already seen. You're expecting the game to work by the rules of other games and that just does not work.

Come back to it with an open mind, especially since you've already played one of the games it lampoons with its initial paths (Otome games like Amnesia: Memories) and find the true ending. Everyone who has listened to my advice on this hasn't regretted it.

Don't get me wrong. I can put anywhere from 10-50 hours into games I enjoy because it has the content to justify it. I have nearly 50 hours clocked into Party Hard because of its semi-randomized nature.

Like I said, if I have to go through a game multiple times over in order to see a better ending, it's already failed. Even saying "it takes 40 minutes at most" is meaningless to me. It's mostly the same story beats, just rearranged.

At least something like Amnesia has enough variation where it feels like every path is a completely separate game (something I noted in my review of it). This is just the same shit remixed 20 different ways. The jokes fell flat, the RPG "skill" system is non-existent compared to something like Long Live the Queen, and I feel it's only popular because of its central conceit.

I'm not going to give it another chance. There are many other games I have yet to play.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Don't get me wrong. I can put anywhere from 10-50 hours into games I enjoy because it has the content to justify it. I have nearly 50 hours clocked into Party Hard because of its semi-randomized nature.

Like I said, if I have to go through a game multiple times over in order to see a better ending, it's already failed. Even saying "it takes 40 minutes at most" is meaningless to me. It's mostly the same story beats, just rearranged.

At least something like Amnesia has enough variation where it feels like every path is a completely separate game (something I noted in my review of it). This is just the same shit remixed 20 different ways. The jokes fell flat, the RPG "skill" system is non-existent compared to something like Long Live the Queen, and I feel it's only popular because of its central conceit.

I'm not going to give it another chance. There are many other games I have yet to play.

The thing is, the RPG skill system does actually matter. You never got around to seeing it because the stats provide hidden triggers for routes as well as having a more overt purpose in routes you never took. You played two out of 14 endings, and never saw what the actual game is. After unlocking a few endings, you get a
6-8 hour long route which is the actual story of the game, hidden behind the conceit of being a pigeon dating sim to make the impact that much crazier.
The jokes admittedly are a very mixed bag, but the initial routes are written to be parodies of sloppy doujin otome games.

The entire game operates like MGS2. You can get mad at it because it pulled the rug out from under you, or you can roll that rug up and see where it takes you.

Kiru

PSA (or DIARRHEA): GMG is currently selling the GTA Complete which also includes GTA 1 and 2 (removed from store).

GaussTek

Happy Birthday Doc, hope you have a great time!! :D

-

BTW, hope someone wants these:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Overcast Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-CCA302509729B760
Dead Bits -- MB-869A6755BAA86502

Stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

F-19 STEALTH FIGHTER -- MB-22C6928B0693B093 - Taken by Anastasia
JOB THE LEPRECHAUN -- MB-11F5D3CEAAECD935 - Taken by madjoki
CHALLENGE OF THE FIVE REALMS -- MB-1699529B92CEE8AB - Taken by Baron_Calamity

Grandia II Anniversary Edition Patch 1.05 is now live.

The following issues have been addressed:

- Ryudo's Sky Dragon Slash texture issue
- Reproducible crash using Gravity spell
- Tio's Whisper to the Stars not correctly raising stats as expected
- Enemies not playing death animation correctly
- Wrong background when flying up to Valmar
- Background at sea during 50/50 cutscene not displaying correctly
- Sky background not displaying correctly during Ryudo's flashback
- Carius's spell not casting correctly in the first Millenia encounter

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**
- The second Millenia Boss Battle Crash when Millenia Casts Fallen Wings Spell
**END SPOILER WARNING**

Wonderful post-release support from GungHo America and SkyBox.

The thing is, the RPG skill system does actually matter. You never got around to seeing it because the stats provide hidden triggers for routes as well as having a more overt purpose in routes you never took. You played two out of 14 endings, and never saw what the actual game is. After unlocking a few endings, you get a
6-8 hour long route which is the actual story of the game, hidden behind the conceit of being a pigeon dating sim to make the impact that much crazier.
The jokes admittedly are a very mixed bag, but the initial routes are written to be parodies of sloppy doujin otome games.

The entire game operates like MGS2. You can get mad at it because it pulled the rug out from under you, or you can roll that rug up and see where it takes you.

Please don't compare this to MGS2. That game did a hell of a job stringing the player along through the entire game, and making a point (however muddled it might have been) about the player's association and addiction to the character of Solid Snake, and breaking free from it to become their own person.

I saw a stat screen with a handful of "courses" I could take (limited to a couple lines of dialogue) that had little discernible purpose. If I have to wait several hours for those triggers to become clear to me, I might as well have been going around in circles. Same goes for the "true" ending. I saw the couple bits of information/clues that gave me at the end of both paths. I didn't care, and I didn't really want to learn how any of this stuff fits together. I know the true ending is a murder mystery - it was spoiled here multiple times over. I just didn't care enough to see it through.

There's stuff that repeats itself constantly. The character I was playing was a girl who lives in a cave. There's no real point to it, and it just seemed to be a visual joke that led nowhere. Maybe it would have paid off in 10 hours, but I didn't care.

I even played Way of The Samurai 4 for 25 hours and found the "true ending", but it's paths and alternate choices, even within the limited framework of Amihara, are ridiculously varied, exciting and function just as much on my skill with a sword as it does the plot triggers themselves. Not only that, but runthroughs can be done in as little as 10 minutes. Even Amnesia's "true" ending feels like the culmination of markedly-different story paths that ran the gamut from "murder mystery" to "bugfuck insanity", and it never once felt like the creators were running back to rehash the same story points in each path.

HB has none of that - it felt like a chore going through the same school events, the same "heart-to-heart" with the biker bird who comes to see me when I'm out travelling near the end, etc.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Please don't compare this to MGS2. That game did a hell of a job stringing the player along through the entire game, and making a point (however muddled it might have been) about the player's association and addiction to the character of Solid Snake, and breaking free from it to become their own person.

You know how you actually found out what all of that meant?

By finishing the game.

Even Amnesia's "true" ending feels like the culmination of markedly-different story paths that ran the gamut from "murder mystery" to "bugfuck insanity"

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child. If only you knew.

But, I'm checkin out of this conversation. It's quite obvious you've made up your mind and are unwilling to relent. No reason to keep raising my blood pressure needlessly.

Lain

Huh? For real? Weird. It's just text for me.

64l3Kt9.png

Are you sure you don't have an extension installed? They show up for me like Veggie on 2 different windows computers running chrome and the mobile chrome browser.

This is interesting. I have some extensions installed, but nothing that would scream as turning plain text into links:
AdBlock
ES
Google Offline Doc
LastPass
NeoGAF Live Thread
NeoGAF Thread Summarizer
Streamus
Tampermonkey

I'm guessing one of those is turning the plain text address in links, maybe one of the NeoGAF specific extensions?

Saty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom