• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoSoul

Banned
Metroidvania never meant anything to me.

Just call it a 2D action adventure game and be done with it.

It means that there's areas that's obvious you'll have to return to because you don't have the equipment/skill to proceed when you firs reach them.
Also upgrades/power ups.

Khronico

Is Clannad a decent story? Art style looks like the worst animu garbage.

Haven't played the VN but have watched the anime. I can vouch for it, the story is extremely effective at pulling at your heart strings.

I still can't listen to songs in the OST without immediately feeling a deep sense of melancholy.

Also yea the artstyle isn't super great but it's well worth looking past that for the story.

Deitus

I think Action-Adventure is good enough for that. People can figure out quick if it has a map like Castlevania or Metroid on their own.

I must be missing something here, but why are you arguing in favor of removing specificity from genres (or sub-genres I guess)? If you boil it down, 90% of games fall under either action or action-adventure, but that tells you basically nothing about a game.

I mean sure, you could "figure out quick" that a game was in first person, and that it prominently features shooting, but it's just a lot easier to talk about games when you can just call it a first person shooter.

Tizoc

Just bought SFV because of a 26 percent off coupon sent to me from GMG. This game better not suck on PC like MKX.

Did you see the SF5 specs thread?
Capcom's PC release (bar DR3) have all been great and run really well, so SF5 will run great too.
Speaking of which 2 weeks til new character reveals for SF5 @o@

Tizoc

I still don't understand why we don't call platformers Mario-likes

Cuz people are too lazy to sit down and decide what Zelda's genre actually is.
It's adventure game, as it involves exploration and puzzle solving etc.

I must be missing something here, but why are you arguing in favor of removing specificity from genres (or sub-genres I guess)? If you boil it down, 90% of games fall under either action or action-adventure, but that tells you basically nothing about a game.

I mean sure, you could "figure out quick" that a game was in first person, and that it prominently features shooting, but it's just a lot easier to talk about games when you can just call it a first person shooter.

It's hard for me to exactly specify what I mean. Like phrases eventually lose their meaning as they keep getting tacked on to to games that don't really need them. Like we already have people that use roguelikes as "you lose stuff when you die" and then call the entire game that. I just feel like in the case of Metroidvania some people might go into it thinking "Oh it's like Castlevania or Metroid and there will be a bunch of items and stuff" when in fact the game might not have many or any upgrades but maybe sometimes you have to go back to open a door on this 2D gird based map.

I think some of these terms invoke stuff that isn't entirely true. You could make the argument that the established genres (FPS, RPG, RTS etc) aren't set in stone either though.

Uzzy

Did you see the SF5 specs thread?
Capcom's PC release (bar DR3) have all been great and run really well, so SF5 will run great too.
Speaking of which 2 weeks til new character reveals for SF5 @o@

Well we know who's
not
coming!

1yVhdX9.jpg

Deitus

It's hard for me to exactly specify what I mean. Like phrases eventually lose their meaning as they keep getting tacked on to to games that don't really need them. Like we already have people that use roguelikes as "you lose stuff when you die" and then call the entire game that. I just feel like in the case of Metroidvania some people might go into it thinking "Oh it's like Castlevania or Metroid and there will be a bunch of items and stuff" when in fact the game might not have many or any upgrades but maybe sometimes you have to go back to open a door on this 2D gird based map.

I think some of these terms invoke stuff that isn't entirely true. You could make the argument that the established genres (FPS, RPG, RTS etc) aren't set in stone either though.

Okay, I get that. I'm definitely with you on roguelikes, and I don't think Metroidvania is really a great name for those types of games, especially when it seems to be applied so liberally. If you are going to invoke the Metroid comparison, it should actually have Metroid style exploration, and not just some occasional backtracking.

Tizoc

I've been hearing mixed opinions about Arkham Origins for quite some time now.
I'd get it but I'm waiting for it to go sub $5 :p

For that matter, how is Blackgate?

Tizoc

You know what?
I used to have this
Chaos_Legion.jpg

I think I'll get it off amazon soon along with Wolverine Origins if I can still find cheap copies over there.

Okay, I get that. I'm definitely with you on roguelikes, and I don't think Metroidvania is really a great name for those types of games, especially when it seems to be applied so liberally. If you are going to invoke the Metroid comparison, it should actually have Metroid style exploration, and not just some occasional backtracking.
Yeah it's just a pet peeve of mine lately, no biggie if one is using those correctly.

From Software needs to do something else besides the Soul Series...

;____;

Well I think only me and you even played Lost Kingdoms.

Tizoc

Well I think only me and you even played Lost Kingdoms.

I want to play it...

EDIT: Some WEBMs from the upcoming TF Devastation game-
https://fat.gfycat.com/MealyCreativeDragon.webm
FLASH KICK SON!
FLASH KICK!

https://fat.gfycat.com/GlumIgnorantCapeghostfrog.webm
PILEDRIVERS!

https://fat.gfycat.com/VainSharpKoala.webm

https://fat.gfycat.com/AmusingFoolhardyAngora.webm

Next batch of WEBMs will be in CODE just this once wanted them to be seen embedded XP

Gave in and pre-ordered Steam ver. for $39ish yesterday :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know man I know.
Problem with some of these companies is that they forgot what got them where they are

And with the things and advances in technology all the improvements they could do to previous IPs and move them forward is kinda frustrating to see them just do the soul series over and over like the Armored Core games. It will get to a point where people will get tired of it and what other things will be there to back them up since at least Armored Core had some games on the side.

Lost Kingdoms
-Full fledged World to explore
-Colosseum to fight against other players and trade. (The MP was my shit on my gamecube days) -Combat pacing could be faster.
-Monsters having more fleshed out moves, better AI and more aggro when you are fighting against them
-More card combinations
-Secret areas and side quests
-Main character can have defensive maneuvers and basic attacks when you run out of cards.
-60fps

I want to play it...

The first game runs at 60fps and it runs flawlessly on Dolphin. You could buy a copy from ebay and rip it on a wii and then play on the emulator. Lost Kingdoms 2 doesnt have random battles but cuts the framerate to 30fps to handle the seamless battles. (I think maybe I could use a code to make it run at 60fps on dolphin tho but not too sure yet)

Get on it bruh.

Uzzy

Juri can wait for DLC (even if I do want her back) I want to see some more new and old but not seen in awhile blood.

Oh for sure. I'd have been a lot happier with even a SF3 style roster, full of newbies. Still, I'd take Juri over Vega or Ken (even if releasing a SF game without Ken would instantly bankrupt Capcom or something).

dex3108

Maybe G2A is becoming a legit site

ACGTRMl.gif

When they remove option to sell keys on their site, remove Shield Protection, add publishers on their page, make publishers go publicly and tell that they are partners, remove Blizzard games. Then maybe I can tell they becoming legit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Spelunky is really fun. Impressed. After I loose all my lives I start from 1-1 though (haven't gone further than 1-2 lol). But there are checkpoints, right?

uh there's shorcuts which you can enable by meeting certain requirements

but

that's not how you play the game

It is in the beginning. You have to use checkpoint at a certain stage of learning the game imo, to get familiar enough with the last worlds to consistently clear them in Iron Man and Hell runs. As you start getting better, short cuts are ofc pointless because you start with a huge disadvantage.

Ludens

Banned
Maybe G2A is becoming a legit site

As I wrote some weeks ago, here in Italy The Games Machine, the biggest PC magazine at the moment (it's on the business from 27 years) gave away G2A coupons in their magazine with each copy of it.

This doesn't mean G2A is legit, but it's a fact and it represents another big entity doing a partnership with G2A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom