• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
If g2a is making enough money to throw around like that then you have to ask yourself if the problem is G2A or if the market has determined that their business model is sound, shady or not.

Not gonna lie, my $6 uplay copy of watch dogs came from there because I wanted to rent the game and felt that $6 wasn't that big a deal to lose.

The thing I lost was a bit of my soul putting nearly 20 hours into that trash though.

Arthea

Gameplay is bland, hand to hand combat has none of the satisfaction or responsiveness of Batman or Mordor, vehicular combat is ramming cars while shooting/pulling out armor plates/drivers. There are a lot of upgrade options, but since all of them cost a lot of scraps, you are pretty much forced to do ubisoft map-cleaning, otherwise you're gonna have a bad time progressing through story.

but it's pretty!
I kinda suspected that much, at this point I'm not sure that "open world" can not imply an ubiesque game. Can it?

derExperte

If g2a is making enough money to throw around like that then you have to ask yourself if the problem is G2A or if the market has determined that their business model is sound, shady or not.

Throwing around money is a well established tactic of shady business schemes trying to look more reputable. Until they crash and burn and everyone's like 'wtf Enron, I thought we were cool?'.

Bobnowhere presents: Adventures in Bundlejunk™

The graphics and courses, only 3, are quite nice but the game is completely ruined by a crap camera, crap controls, crap audio and crap ball physics.

Into the bin!

Throwing around money is a well established tactic of shady business schemes trying to look more reputable. Until they crash and burn and everyone's like 'wtf Enron?'.
Sure, that's true, but it could also be a sign of a company thick in money trying to either maintain or grow their reach.

Hell isnt Coca Cola the company that spends the most on marketing? It's either that or they spends a ludicrous amount compared to their peers.

Copons

Not gonna lie, my $6 up lay copy of watch dogs came from there because I wanted to rent the game and felt that $6 wasn't that big a deal to lose.

The thing I lost was a bit of my souls putting nearly 20 hours into that trash though.

But of course it is sound, and for plenty of reasons too.
You get to save money for close to zero risks. You get sellers feedback and a protection thing if something goes wrong. And on top of that, you're actually paying, to firmly distance yourself from piracy.

We can discuss the ethics of this for hours, we could agree or disagree, but still G2A has a great business model, for themselves of course, but for customers too. Not for publishers and developers, but rarely the end user gives a shit about them.

but it's pretty!
I kinda suspected that much, at this point I'm not sure that "open world" can not imply an ubiesque game. Can it?
Capture mode is a lot of fun to mess around, you can try it yourself when it's 7.49 or something.

Most AAA games borrow stuff from each other these days, and ubisoft's tower and collectibles formula is proven and cheap to implement.

You get to save money for close to zero risks. You get sellers feedback and a protection thing if something goes wrong. And on top of that, you're actually paying, to firmly distance yourself from piracy.

We can discuss the ethics of this for hours, we could agree or disagree, but still G2A has a great business model, for themselves of course, but for customers too. Not for publishers and developers, but rarely the end user gives a shit about them.

So basically they are a digital gamestop?

I want to be clear, I am not trying to say they are in the up and up and that they're a great shop or whatever. What I was getting at is that if what they're doing starts proving to be too effective that it would have a ripple effect on key sellers

We've already seen GMG get caught up in some weird problems due to how they sometimes acquire keys. If g2a keeps growing in the marketplace it will start forcing other parties to do something about it. What that something is I'm not sure but g2a's supposed success isn't happening in a vacuum.

Phinor

I started watching Narcos yesterday and it really reminded me about what Ecoban and Al Capone did.

When someone mentions Narcos (which is a great show), I have to inform them to go and watch Sicario in theater right away and to NOT watch Sicario trailers because they pretty much spoil the movie.

Soo... go and watch Sicario. My favourite movie of the year (so far).

Ozium

digital homicide isn't digital homicide anymore? I always put trust in their games knowing that they would deliver me exciting new titles at rock bottom prices

now I don't know what to do...

in off topic news I watched that mad max fury road blu ray and shut it off after an hour because I was bored.

And it's not small money either. They're not just giving out referral links to streamers that kicks back a few cents per purchase. G2A has been the headline sponsor for some tournaments and esports teams. They're dropping tens (or maybe hundreds?) of thousands of dollars on this.

It's true. At the end of the day a business like this lives and dies on it's online reputation. The risks associated with using cd key selling sites are obvious but I'm also sure that those risks only come to pass in a very tiny fraction of cases. That's why it's so popular.

Tizoc

in off topic news I watched that mad max fury road blu ray and shut it off after an hour because I was bored.

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Chariot

When someone mentions Narcos (which is a great show), I have to inform them to go and watch Sicario in theater right away and to NOT watch Sicario trailers because they pretty much spoil the movie.

Soo... go and watch Sicario. My favourite movie of the year (so far).
I would, but I don't like to go into the movies since I dislike german dub. I try to keep it in mind and watch it once it hits netflix.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of Mad Max just in general, I really enjoyed the action and the look of it.
Though I haven't gone crazy about the movie saying it's the best thing ever since slice bread. Though maybe that was because someone on a cellphone ruined the movie for me. Though in a general sense I think I just naturally try to veer away from stuff that's highly popular. A inner hipster I never knew exists within me. Still think i'll give the game a try on the cheap and during a drought.

Ozium

Speaking of Mad Max just in general, I really enjoyed the action and the look of it.
Though I haven't gone crazy about the movie saying it's the best thing ever since slice bread. Though maybe that was because someone on a cellphone ruined the movie for me. Though in a general sense I think I just naturally try to veer away from stuff that's highly popular. A inner hipster I never knew exists within me. Still think i'll give the game a try on the cheap and during a drought.

the action was cool and the big sand tornados or whatever the fuck and the explosions but it looked like it was filmed with a bad digital camera and shit looked like a soap opera and lacked the depth of film.. like everything was super in focus and no varying depths of field like how actual cameras or your eyes function (because those are based upon the blessed light and not satan's ones and zeroes)

disgusting

Phinor

I would, but I don't like to go into the movies since I dislike german dub. I try to keep it in mind and watch it once it hits netflix.

Ouch. I really hate dubbing. In Finland we mostly have subtitles but with every Pixar movie etc. it's all dubbed. They do also show those movies with original audio but only in few of the biggest cities.

I've never seen a Pixar movie in a movie theater but I own (I think) everything they have ever released on Blu-ray.

Tizoc

I'd like to put you through the hipster test to see properly ascertain how much of a hipster you are.

Jawmuncher

I remember being in Germany and watching Star Wars Episode 2 in english did that change? Thought it was like steam where theaters depending on location offer dub or no dub. Though I guess sometimes companies might force it on you.

I'd like to put you through the hipster test to see properly ascertain how much of a hipster you are.

I dont wear a scarf

Copons

I want to be clear, I am not trying to say they are in the up and up and that they're a great shop or whatever. What I was getting at is that if what they're doing starts proving to be too effective that it would have a ripple effect on key sellers

We've already seen GMG get caught up in some weird problems due to how they sometimes acquire keys. If g2a keeps growing in the marketplace it will start forcing other parties to do something about it. What that something is I'm not sure but g2a's supposed success isn't happening in a vacuum.

Ah yes, I agree.
The biggest reason that pushes me to keep arguing against G2A customers, is that sooner or later will harm the entire PC gaming market.

Fact is, us (erm, non-Brazilian-us) buying on Nuuvem are better than them for the market?
I have no clear answer, and I'm worried if I start thinking about it I'd end making up excuses as bad as theirs.

Fucking hell
the action was cool and the big sand tornados or whatever the fuck and the explosions but it looked like it was filmed with a bad digital camera and shit looked like a soap opera and lacked the depth of film.. like everything was super in focus and no varying depths of field like how actual cameras or your eyes function (because those are based upon the blessed light and not satan's ones and zeroes)

disgusting
https://vimeo.com/129314425

fertygo

I actually think buying from g2a not that cheap anyway.. the shield thing fee plus another pay fee on top turn me off for buying anything from them. Made me think the actual deal will gradually cheaper.

Fury road was just really refreshing in a world where every major action set piece is a ton of fake ass looking cgi with meh choreography. Fury road leans heavily on the other direction by doing as much without cgi as they could with a big budget to boot.

The result is that it embarrasses all blockbuster action climaxes from the last two decades or so. And it does so for almost two straight hours.

Maniac

Banned
I hate some people.

And not for them disliking Fury Road, nay, for being fucking lazy and incompetent.

The fuckers in charge of picking up dead animals and stuff had told me that they hadn't found my cat. They told me that neither of the two cats found close to where I live was my cat.

I was told neither had an ear-tattoo.

Today, after a lot of poking, prodding and nagging, we've been told that one of them was in fact my cat, after someone who gave a shit did some digging.

I've spent three weeks looking for my cat, which someone already knew was dead but didn't give enough of a shit about to actually tell me, despite it being their fucking job.

Fuck. Those. People.

And life, ofcourse, but that's a whole other subject entirely.

And no I don't particularly care about being on-topic for today, or the next while cause fuck everything.

But for those that like being ontopic, here's my bit:

VIDEOGAMES.

THEY ARE FUN.

AND SOME ARE NOT.

Jazz573

I hate people.

And not for them disliking Fury Road, nay, for being fucking lazy and incompetent.

The fuckers in charge of picking up dead animals and stuff had told me that they hadn't found my cat. They told me that neither of the two cats found close to where I live was my cat.

Today, after a lot of poking, prodding and nagging, we've been told that one of them was in fact my cat, after someone who gave a shit did some digging.

I've spent three weeks looking for my cat, which someone already knew was dead but didn't give enough of a shit about to actually tell me, despite it being their fucking job.

Fuck. People.

And no I don't particularly care about being on-topic for today, or the next while cause fuck everything.

VIDEOGAMES.

THEY ARE FUN.

AND SOME ARE NOT.

Poor kitty. ;(

pahamrick

I hate some people.

Fuck. Those. People.

VIDEOGAMES.

THEY ARE FUN.

AND SOME ARE NOT.

I'm really sorry, I never posted but as a cat lover I was really hoping you'd get a happy ending.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, this has $320 of DLC available in the store on it's first day.

I predict a bright future for this game.
But man, who wouldn't want to pay $32 for 1 year worth of premium access to Random MOBA #35? That's like the deal of the century.

GTA IV is still one of the best games of all times and has much more advanced physics than even GTA V. I love V but the downgrades compared to IV and Red Dead really hurt immersion at times(still far above other games though)

Shame Euphoria got bought out by fucking Zynga :/
The problem with GTA IV (apart from the cell phone, that is) is that most missions seem to be the same: drive here, take this character there, follow that car, kill these guys. Previous games had way more variety, but that seems to be missing here.

True, but when you're buying insurance on a digital game purchase just baffles me how you can think "This is a good idea".
Low prices beat logical thinking. The other day I tried to prevent a friend from buying a key there, while he (and another one) was arguing that it must be legit. I don't know if he bought it in the end, but I did my part so my conscience is clear.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Digital Homicide And The Case Of The Sockpuppet Developers

Watchers of my YouTube channel will know that I love to record myself playing random games on Steam. Sometimes I stumble upon a gem, but more than likely I find something awful – the most famous of which was Digital Homicide’s The Slaughtering Grounds. After that company’s infamous meltdown and litany of terrible releases, it had gone very quiet for a while.

So quiet, in fact, that when I played Galactic Hitman and Devil’s Share, I had no idea I was playing yet more Digital Homicide games, although their poor quality should have been a surefire clue. This was because both these awful experiences were published by ECC Games… or were they?

See, there is an ECC Games, but it’s sure as hell not the company publishing crappy first-person shooters to Steam.

Digital Homicide’s latest shenanigans are confusing and based on several allegations, so I cannot present everything in this article as verified fact. However, due to digging around by myself and several users on Steam, we appear to have a pretty clear picture of the company’s latest, bizarre get-rich-quick scheme.

We at least can verify the “ECC Games” presenting itself on Steam (which I am going to call Faker-ECC because I like a good Masters of the Universe reference) is Digital Homicide, thanks to a page in which Galactic Hitman is listed as belonging to the notorious Romino brothers.

You can watch video footage of Devil’s Share and Galactic Hitman by clicking those prior links – they carry all the classic hallmarks of a Digital Homicide production. The assets are all store-bought, they’re both hideous to look at, interactively generic, unfinished, and broken in some significant way. The only difference is the rebranding of the developer – surely a response to the fact that James and Robert Romino know their prior company’s name is mud on Steam these days.

It’s also worth noting that Galactic Hitman‘s artwork has been taken from elsewhere, just like the initial art for The Slaughtering Grounds was. You can see the original imagery here, which Faker-ECC may have purchased from Shutterstock. Does DH even have a single artist?

The story, of course, doesn’t end here. Digital Homicide seemingly has a third sockpuppet company, Micro Strategic Game Designs. MSGD recently got Attrition: Nuclear Domination through Steam Greenlight. It looks terrible – obviously – and was recently removed from the Digital Homicide Complete Pack Bundle, demonstrating its link to the infamous studio.

Previously, the studio has been linked to another developer – Bob Middleton – engaging in shady vote-rigging for the game Clickerton Heroes. Whether or not Digital Homicide and Middleton are the same entity is yet to be determined, but people have their suspicions.

The Rominos seem to have a vested interest in getting crap past Steam Greenlight. As well as helping two-bit developers trade Steam keys in exchange for Greenlight votes, Digital Homicide has offered support in the past to other developers I’ve criticized – apparently attempting to form some sort of support group for fragile egos.

Speaking of which, Digital Homicide also appears to be behind a new website, BundleBlitz, a code giveaway site with a special interest in Steam Greenlight hopefuls. BundleBlitz heavily featured Nuclear Attrition recently, though I’m still looking into a definitive link.

Still, their font of choice sure looks familiar.

Anyway, it’s time to get to the really juicy part. Remember when I said that Devil’s Share and Galactic Hitman were published under the name ECC Games? Well, there actually is an ECC Games, and it sure as shit wasn’t the company uploading crap games to Steam.

A Polish mobile game company by the name of ECC Games reached out to me via email explaining it has absolutely no link to Digital Homicide, and its claim most certainly seems to check out. Its own website features a whole host of mobile games, along with a full-fledged team of Polish developers. It also has a Twitter account which, prior to now, has no history of mentioning either Devil’s Share nor Galactic Hitman.

“We would like to inform that we are not designers nor producers of Galaxy Hitman nor Devils Share, games that have been published on Steam,” said ECC producer Dorota Muzynska. “We probably fell victim to a people previously known as Digital Homicide. We have already taken legal actions aimed at ceasing infringement of ECC GAMES rights.”

When you can name yourself literally anything on Steam, it’s impossible to know who is a legitimate developer and who isn’t, as we’ve seen with the case of Faker-ECC. Apparently you don’t need to prove your company’s legitimacy or even existence, since it’s all based on usernames. Here, we’ve seen it lead to potential legal trouble for the folks who rebranded and accidentally defamed a completely different studio.

Someone on Twitter asked me how they “got away” with calling themselves ECC Games. The fact is, they didn’t have to “get away” with anything, at least not as far as Steam is concerned. Once again, Valve’s lack of oversight makes it easy to just call yourself ECC Games, regardless of who is actually allowed to trade under that name.

Digital Homicide’s official channels have maintained radio silence for months, seeming to operate solely through these sockpuppet companies. Being as sly as the Wet Bandits, however, it hasn’t taken long for the Internet to dig up their latest sleazy shenanigans.

At some point, this “studio” is going to have to realize it is neither talented enough to become a producer of good games, nor clever enough to trick us into believing it is.

That’s not going to happen today though, and its recent chicanery may lead it into very real legal trouble.

I bought the Oddbox. I have been wanting to play Stranger's Wrath for a while.

I have the Vita version but I think I prefer to play it on PC.

Kyougar

Wth,

why is steam crashing when i click on "redeem a product on steam"?

it never did that before. And it is always doing that now.

edit: opting out of beta solved it.

I feel like if people just wait A DAY after the game releases then they can make purchasing decisions. But they're just like "Fuck it, I'm not buying Battlefront. It's obviously broken". Pretty funny.

Wth,

why is steam crashing when i click on "redeem a product on steam"?

it never did that before. And it is always doing that now.

New beta update fucked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom