• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
CPvSQNRWEAAoXDI.jpg:large

hello
Abe? That's cool!

I really want Rocket League to go on sale soon, but obviously it won't.

Ozium

I want to play Not A Hero but devs are too lazy to fix the achievements (they put them in but never activated them) and it seems like it's been that way for a month or two

what is the deal w/ these ppl

I want to play Not A Hero but devs are too lazy to fix the achievements (they put them in but never activated them) and it seems like it's been that way for a month or two

what is the deal w/ these ppl

"i want to play a game thats working perfectly fine with the exception of achievements that don't effect progress within the game."

thats dumb. stop being dumb and just play the game ozzy

Ozium

"i want to play a game thats working perfectly fine with the exception of achievements that don't effect progress within the game."

thats dumb. stop being dumb and just play the game ozzy

how is it dumb to want to play a game when all of its features are working correctly?

Dsyndrome

Because to not play a game just because achievements dont work is dumb. Do you play games that dont have them? If so pretend its one of those
Didn't work for me and Witcher 3. I'm fine if they'll never be there like Undertale, but if there's achievements, I want them working. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Ozium

Ozium is corrosivefrost's alt confirmed.

I don't understand how it is so fucking hard for people to fathom the fact that a game has these things, but they don't work, and I would prefer to play a fully functioning product.

apparently any criticism around here is called crying because how dare I say something negative about precious indie dev X

Ozium

furthermore, it is not as if I am saying I won't play the game because it doesn't have achievements, but at the point where you put them in the game they should fucking work and if something doesn't work then it should be fixed and I shouldn't be called names because I choose to wait for something to work properly and for people to make right what they have failed to deliver to consumers

Achievements, as they are called, are 100% bad game design. They're purely designed for the constant gratification era of games, where everything is a +1 or reward of some sort. Designing games with achievements in mind has led to the current open world wasteland of video games.
  • You played the tutorial. Achievement!
  • A match was completed. Achievement!
  • You shot five apples. Achievement!
  • You complete the campaign on casual difficulty. Achievement!
  • ...and on normal difficulty! Achievement!
  • You killed five thousand enemy soldiers. Achievement!
  • You let the game idle for 24 hours. Achievement!
  • You killed an enemy soldier covered in blood while you had 77 HP and one shot left! Achievement!
  • You completed 100% of what we're defining as the game even though that's not really a good metric or anything like that. Achievement!

If achievements mean something to you, just SAM them and be done with it. Lord knows you could get away with it because they're ultimately a meaningless crutch. Better yet, disable notifications and forget about them entirely.

Don't let this bottom-of-the-barrel design garbage dictate how you spend your time playing video games. There's enough of that already built into games these days.

This post was an achievement.

Ozium

Achievements, as they are called, are 100% bad game design. They're purely designed for the constant gratification era of games, where everything is a +1 or reward of some sort. Designing games with achievements in mind has led to the current open world wasteland of video games.
  • You played the tutorial. Achievement!
  • A match was completed. Achievement!
  • You shot five apples. Achievement!
  • You complete the campaign on casual difficulty. Achievement!
  • ...and on normal difficulty! Achievement!
  • You killed five thousand enemy soldiers. Achievement!
  • You let the game idle for 24 hours. Achievement!
  • You killed an enemy soldier covered in blood while you had 77 HP and one shot left! Achievement!
  • You completed 100% of what we're defining as the game even though that's not really a good metric or anything like that. Achievement!

If achievements mean something to you, just SAM them and be done with it. Lord knows you could get away with it because they're ultimately a meaningless crutch. Better yet, disable notifications and forget about them entirely.

Don't let this bottom-of-the-barrel design garbage dictate how you spend your time playing video games. There's enough of that already built into games these days.

This post was an achievement.

yeah let's list a bunch of shitty achievement designs to 'prove' how achievements are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty books to 'prove' how literature is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty indie games to 'prove' how indie games are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty anime to 'prove' how anime is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty movies to 'prove' how movies are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty levels in mario maker to 'prove' how mario maker is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty fruit to 'prove' how fruit is shit

ad infinitum

good argument dude, top notch shit

also "if achievements mean something to you, just SAM them" is a moronic statement, as if achievements meant something to someone they surely wouldn't want to cheat their way as that would lose the meaning held by that person.

Dsyndrome

LV means Love and not Level. I learn something new every day.

Why can't achievements be motivators for exploring and finding stuff you weren't expecting? If you want no "Ch. 2" achievements, fine. Why can't there be an achievement for finding the mayor's mistress list under the mattress in a house across town? I wouldn't do half the exploration for things if there wasn't some achievement tied behind it, and they do keep me playing a game to be honest.

LV means Love and not Level. I learn something new every day.

Why can't achievements be motivators for exploring and finding stuff you weren't expecting? If you want no "Ch. 2" achievements, fine. Why can't there be an achievement for finding the mayor's mistress list under the mattress in a house across town? I wouldn't do half the exploration for things if there wasn't some achievement tied behind it, and they do keep me playing a game to be honest.

There are games that have those kinds of achievements though. They aren't the most common though.

Ozzy you sure are taking this achievement thing personally. Just play the game and don't let it bother you. If you know you legit earned an achievement then SAM it and don't let it put you in a funk.

Ten years ago no games had achievements and we all had a time of it. It'll be fine.

yeah let's list a bunch of shitty achievement designs to 'prove' how achievements are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty books to 'prove' how literature is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty indie games to 'prove' how indie games are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty anime to 'prove' how anime is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty movies to 'prove' how movies are shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty levels in mario maker to 'prove' how mario maker is shit

hey let me list a bunch of shitty fruit to 'prove' how fruit is shit

ad infinitum

good argument dude, top notch shit

also "if achievements mean something to you, just SAM them" is a moronic statement, as if achievements meant something to someone they surely wouldn't want to cheat their way as that would lose the meaning held by that person.
Ozium, please. his examples are pretty common, and even good games have some of those. And i say that as someone that likes to 100% games when i really like them.

EDIT: just to clarify, i generally like achievements. i just though lurkerprime had an interesting point.

Ozium

Ozzy you sure are taking this achievement thing personally. Just play the game and don't let it bother you. If you know you legit earned an achievement then SAM it and don't let it put you in a funk.

when people attack me for not wanting to play a game that isn't functioning properly then yes I take it personally

I also find intellectual dishonesty disgusting so when I hear people making completely ridiculous arguments I get hot and bothered.

Dsyndrome

There are games that have those kinds of achievements though. They aren't the most common though.

Just because achievements are poorly implemented in games doesn't mean they should be nuked, it means developers suck for the most part and need to do a better job.

Undertale's awesome already and all I've met is this dick Flowey.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I generally don't care for achievements, but I like it when they're creative. My go-to examples are Episode One's One Free Bullet (finish the game having fired only one bullet) and Episode Two's Little Rocket Man (put the garden gnome you find at the beginning of the game in the rocket at the end).

Maniac

Banned
I generally don't care for achievements, but I like it when they're creative. My go-to examples are Episode One's One Free Bullet (finish the game having fired only one bullet) and Episode Two's Little Rocket Man (put the garden gnome you find at the beginning of the game in the rocket at end).

Yeah, I concur. Achievements that feel like... You know, you've actually achieved something? Those are the worthwhile ones. I don't mind achievements that're basically 'stat trackers', but at that point you might aswell just integrate the stat-tracking from the Steamworks API, but then you may or may not have the same bragging rights, I suppose.

And besides, it seems that very few devs have any fucking idea that most of the Steamworks features exist, lol.

What makes a good achievement, Ozium? And do you pursue the bad ones as well? I'm curious if you pursue them for the sake of it, or for the fulfilling nature of unlocking difficult ones. Or whatever other reason you have.

Personally, TF2's the only game I've seen use achievements well, way back when it was paid-only--and not because they were achievements. Class-specific unlockable weapons were tied behind class-specific achievements, which gave each match a bit of a metagoal, making the whole thing a lot more interesting. Having gone free-to-play with the periodic item drops it's a pretty meaningless system nowadays, but still possible as far as I'm aware.

Achievements can make for a good guide, yeah. But pointing everything out sorta... takes away from the achievement of the whole thing.

And anyways, all the best achievements are hidden.

Parsnip

Achievements are neat.
If you don't care about them, more power to you.
But try not to tell the rest of us how to enjoy our games.

Thanks!

I'll be honest: I played through the swapper and hohokum recently and neither game gave me achievements for finishing them. Hell, I earned zero achievements in my whole Swapper play through.

Felt like I did something wrong lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom