• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those of you that have been helping to translate Idle Master, more stuff needs translated!

http://translate.steamidlemaster.com/

(This is almost everything that needs done besides the new "Statistics" page)

Dsyndrome

I'll be honest: I played through the swapper and hohokum recently and neither game gave me achievements for finishing them. Hell, I earned zero achievements in my whole Swapper play through.

Felt like I did something wrong lol

That's why I play Swapper on Vita, and don't play Don't Starve on PC. Because I know they're there, and add stuff, however small, to my experience.

Take Stasis. There's achievements for the different gruesome deaths you can have. If there were no achievements, I wouldn't care less that I could die by drinking acid or hitting myself with a crowbar. I did them for the achievements, not to see myself get impaled or such.

A lot of achievements I could care less about though, like 100% synch for Assassin's Creed. No reason behind it, no hidden ending, purely shit made hard to hinder how I want to play. Doesn't mean they aren't fun for others though, so all power to them.

Deitus

Personally, TF2's the only game I've seen use achievements well, way back when it was paid-only--and not because they were achievements. Class-specific unlockable weapons were tied behind class-specific achievements, which gave each match a bit of a metagoal, making the whole thing a lot more interesting. Having gone free-to-play with the periodic item drops it's a pretty meaningless system nowadays, but still possible as far as I'm aware.

Honestly, TF2's achievements were terrible. Not because it was a bad thing that they were hard to achieve, mind you.

The problem is that TF2 is a team based multiplayer game, and a huge chunk of the achievements encouraged you to play in a way that you really should not be playing if you intend to win, including a number which heavily relied on luck (which meant you to to continue to play poorly across multiple games hoping that this time you would get it). It just led to every game having several people not actually contributing to their team properly.

And the fact that they were tied to unlocks just exacerbated the situation. Of course it eventually just led to people going to achievement farming servers, which is better than ruining other people's games, but still a really dumb consequence of the whole thing.

Plus, it's not like there was any shortage of grindy bullshit achievements in TF2 (a million fire damage with Pyro comes to mind).

That's why I play Swapper on Vita, and don't play Don't Starve on PC. Because I know they're there, and add stuff, however small, to my experience.

Take Stasis. There's achievements for the different gruesome deaths you can have. If there were no achievements, I wouldn't care less that I could die by drinking acid or hitting myself with a crowbar. I did them for the achievements, not to see myself get impaled or such.

A lot of achievements I could care less about though, like 100% synch for Assassin's Creed. No reason behind it, no hidden ending, purely shit.
Oh I played the swapper on both the vita and ps4 through cross play

Still no trophies when I beat the game. Game is super weird about them

Hooray, it's the weekend!

In a bit of a puzzle-y mood so anyone have recommendations for some obscure or interesting puzzles games?

Also, I should finish The Swapper.

I'm sorry, LORD. It was no coincidence.
Honestly, TF2's achievements were terrible. Not because it was a bad thing that they were hard to achieve, mind you.

The problem is that TF2 is a team based multiplayer game, and a huge chunk of the achievements encouraged you to play in a way that you really should not be playing if you intend to win, including a number which heavily relied on luck (which meant you to to continue to play poorly across multiple games hoping that this time you would get it). It just led to every game having several people not actually contributing to their team properly.

And the fact that they were tied to unlocks just exacerbated the situation. Of course it eventually just led to people going to achievement farming servers, which is better than ruining other people's games, but still a really dumb consequence of the whole thing.

Plus, it's not like there was any shortage of grindy bullshit achievements in TF2 (a million fire damage with Pyro comes to mind).
You're not wrong; I can't think of the number of times I've seen people die chasing class achievements. It's just that the items are a reward I can get behind.

It's the only multiplayer-enabled game I've ever earned an achievement in, aside from WH40K: Space Marine.

Dsyndrome

Speaking of achievements:
xNdZ3FI.png
Are they being added to Baldur's Gate??? I didn't need a reason to stop playing...

Nabs

In a bit of a puzzle-y mood so anyone have recommendations for some obscure or interesting puzzles games?

The Swapper should be at the top of your list. The Hexcells series should be up there as well.

The water sections in Soma are so boring. Walking speed straight from Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Framerate drops at 4K have sealed my decision to buy a second 980ti though

Ozium

What makes a good achievement, Ozium? And do you pursue the bad ones as well? I'm curious if you pursue them for the sake of it, or for the fulfilling nature of unlocking difficult ones. Or whatever other reason you have.

I don't pursue them for the sake of it. I don't pursue them at all unless it is a game I really enjoy and the achievement seems enjoyable to earn.

But apparently me wanting something that is already included in a game to function properly = I am hardcover achievement hunter, won't play games without them, absolutely MUST get all the achievements in a game, etc.

edit: also why would I be such a Wii U fanboy if I only cared about achievements? (though more games need Miiverse stamps because those are cool)

For those of you that have been helping to translate Idle Master, more stuff needs translated!

http://translate.steamidlemaster.com/

(This is almost everything that needs done besides the new "Statistics" page)
Boy, finding fitting translations for words you never use in a language is mind-bending but also kinda fun :)

image.php

You look rough :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Idle" is a pain in the ass to translate though, in most languages.

Yeah it's kinda a strange word anyway - too bad it's kinda crucial to the project and all. ;) Thanks again everyone for helping out!

Haha, it's been a long week. Somehow I managed to finished 10 games in September though. Also, gotta queue up some horror for October.

I'm gonna queue up some Costume Quest 2 this month at some point. I played through the first game last year during Halloween and had a blast with it. I've been putting off playing the sequel for about a year as I don't want to play it out of season.

Yeah it's kinda a strange word anyway - too bad it's kinda crucial to the project and all. ;) Thanks again everyone for helping out!
My pleasure for being able to help. I decided to not translate it(Idle, i mean). it really doesnt have an equivalent word on portuguese, and the term totally makes sense in english. the best thing i could do was use some neologism and transform idle when used as a verb to "idlear".

jshackles

My pleasure for being able to help. I decided to not translate it. it really doesnt have an equivalent word on portuguese, and the term totally makes sense in english.

If the word "Idle" is the most correct for the translation, feel free to submit it as-is. This will let people know that it's not still pending further translation.

maty

Oh I played the swapper on both the vita and ps4 through cross play

Still no trophies when I beat the game. Game is super weird about them

The achievements in The Swapper are related to secret rooms you find by exploring the map, some are very hard to find unless you try making clones at every wall. There are no achievements for solving puzzles
I looked at some guides for the general area and then tried to find them myself. Some I found on my own without the need of any external help.

Speaking of achievements, I'm finally done with HM2

GbWVefh.png

I might try to improve some scores and get S rank in a few levels but for now that's it.

The 1st one was better as it allowed several ways to take on a level with the different masks. Some missions are too long in this one. Music and presentation are still great.

The only achievement that was a little tedious was killing 50000 enemies but it will come naturally as you play the game long enough trying get higher scores. The rest encourage you to beat some areas in a different way and to just get better.

maty

A short puzzle game you might like to try is Another Perspective. You can probably finish it in 3-4 hours.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AAA Game -- MB-69AE892A5B575731 - Taken by SalsaShark

it was bad rats

what is this 3 years ago

people not even tryin with their comedy

I will try.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

QRxSiKa.png

Join the Bad Rats Club -- MB-54645E22AF4A66F6 - Taken by pahamrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom