• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What games on Steam have a hostile and oppressive envioroment/atmosphere? I finished Metroid Prime Echoes a few days ago, and while I know a lot of people are turned off by it, I find the Dark world mechanics really great. Echoes' dark world is incredibly hostile to Samus. Just standing kills you, a lot of enemies everywhere. It makes exploring, especially at the beginning, hard and rewarding. The first half is exhausting with all the jumping around so you don't die, but I also find it fun.

I was wondering if there was a game likewise mechanics on Steam.

NaissanceE isn't actively hostile, but messes with your head in a way where it feels like the vast expanse is trying to snuff you out like a flickering flame surrounded by the eye of the storm.

3FCC6996ECF5A2F7BC301813EAAF57E37F887CC9

74853FCD39F0570D1636A5A5C1C2C89CBCC89300

If you're not a fan of slightly more passive experiences, it might not work for you. But unlike other games in the "walking sim" genre, every area serves as a puzzle of trying to understand how to progress. One of the most bleak games I've played, and yet I was hardly in any physical danger.

Nabs

Washing the taste of my two most recent AAA stinkers (the evil within and lords of shadow 2) out of my mouth with a few indies that are probably decent. These 3 are next on my backlog menu:

Transistor
Apotheon
Ori and the blind forest

I highly recommend Ori. Great game.

Knurek

36 hours spent so far on Witcher 3, open-world fatigue is starting to set in - most of the quests so far have been the combination of 'use Batman mode to find clues', 'use Batman mode to follow a scent' or 'follow the marker on map and talk/fight/gather'.
Strong writing's keeping me interested for now, but really, I could go with some variance in gameplay.
Novigrad might look lovely, but it seems I just can't play a big city game without the ability to climb onto rooftops and/or observation towers.
Wild framerate drops don't help as well. :\

Anteater

36 hours spent so far on Witcher 3, open-world fatigue is starting to set in - most of the quests so far have been the combination of 'use Batman mode to find clues', 'use Batman mode to follow a scent' or 'follow the marker on map and talk/fight/gather'.
Strong writing's keeping me interested for now, but really, I could go with some variance in gameplay.
Novigrad might look lovely, but it seems I just can't play a big city game without the ability to climb onto rooftops and/or observation towers.

do only the main quest in novigrad (or whatever quests you could do in novigrad), after this you could skip a lot of traveling in the next zone even though the region is huge

Lulubop

Man, I really need something I sink a load of hours into. Was told I need two more weeks in my arm splint, and I'm looking to kill time. MGSV just isn't doing it for me, I don't have the patience for stealth. A good, recent RPG, ARPG, or Dungeon crawler kinda thing would be nice.

Resident Evil 4 and the evil within are pretty different. Though the main difference is RE4 is still the better game.
Resident Evil 4 is a much more polished game but I enjoyed the ambition and variety in The Evil Within. It really opens up once you get past the first few chapters and tries a lot of different things, for better or worse. I think all of the different systems mesh well, so better in my case.

Really hope Tengo gets to work on another one. Or another new ip of course.

zkylon

zkylewd
watched john wick, ok movie, was really dumb in a funny and enjoyable way

also i love movies/games in which the writers were like super proud of the name for the main character they come up with and start saying like john wick like every fucking sentence

it's hilarious lol

there's a few surprises in the sidequests but yeah, it's for the most part talk to someone+batman mode+kill something

i like it a lot, but i think you can't have an open world game without all those sandbox options new vegas has because it all becomes way too formulaic if there are not multiple ways to approach everything

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 4 is a much more polished game but I enjoyed the ambition and variety in The Evil Within. It really opens up once you get past the first few chapters and tries a lot of different things, for better or worse. I think all of the different systems mesh well, so better in my case.

Really hope Tengo gets to work on another one. Or another new ip of course.

That was my exact issue with the evil within. Felt like way too many ideas and not enough of them concrete enough. I appreciate the ambition but I'll always prefer polish over it. The same systems you say come to work together I don't feel ever do.

Javier23

Banned
Resident Evil 4 and the evil within are pretty different. Though the main difference is RE4 is still the better game.
Even though I actually agree, if you didn't know who is behind either game you'd figure out rather quickly it must have been the same mind. TEW feels very much like a spiritual sequel, with a tiny bit of Silent Hill and cheap slasher flicks thrown in for good measure. I also believe TEW is the far better game, even if it's obviously not going to match the impact RE4 had in its day.

Dsyndrome

Man, I really need something I sink a load of hours into. Was told I need two more weeks in my arm splint, and I'm looking to kill time. MGSV just isn't doing it for me, I don't have the patience for stealth. A good, recent RPG, ARPG, or Dungeon crawler kinda thing would be nice.

Type 0 came out recently, also Legend of Grimrock 2 if you haven't played that.

FloatOn

I've heard good things about this game called witcher 3

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Despite it's obvious graphical shortcomings, I'm really liking Final Fantasy V. This is probably the 12th(?) time I've played the game, and the second time I've played this mobile iteration but the game holds up really really well.

It's got me thinking that we might actually some day see Final Fantasy Dimensions on PC (as it uses the same engine as V) and that would be quite welcome. Dimensions was honestly pretty great but was absolutely crippled by it's lack of controller support.

KarmaCow

For those might care, the Gun Mettle TF2 campaign ends this Wednesday. It's kinda late now because cases are going for <10c but might as well do some of the contracts if you haven't played in a while.

Accoun

What games on Steam have a hostile and oppressive envioroment/atmosphere? I finished Metroid Prime Echoes a few days ago, and while I know a lot of people are turned off by it, I find the Dark world mechanics really great. Echoes' dark world is incredibly hostile to Samus. Just standing kills you, a lot of enemies everywhere. It makes exploring, especially at the beginning, hard and rewarding. The first half is exhausting with all the jumping around so you don't die, but I also find it fun.

I was wondering if there was a game likewise mechanics on Steam.

Gothic 1 is great at it. Gothic 2 maybe less because of more sunny environment and generally not taking part in a prison colony where you'll spend rest of your life as a mine worker, guards trying to extort money etc. On the other hand, fauna (and human enemies) is still pretty dangerous, even moreso with Night Of The Raven expansion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Despite it's obvious graphical shortcomings, I'm really liking Final Fantasy V. This is probably the 12th(?) time I've played the game, and the second time I've played this mobile iteration but the game holds up really really well.

If you've never tried it, you should try FF5FJF, which is a charitable initiative started by RevenantKioku (our very own) where you sign up and are randomly assigned particular jobs you must play through the game using. It really shows how flexible the game is that any combination of jobs has a viable win strategy, many even for low-level playthroughs. It's done every summer: http://fourjobfiesta.com/ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=165768047

Eila

This VN took less time to read than it took for all four trading cards to drop. Ah well, it was only the prologue to the series.

But then something good happened:

I'm guessing it's worth more than $8, right?
I bought that and Undertale, since the cards seemed to cost so much. I sold the card drops along with some others I already had in my inventory and the VN was basically free. Not too shabby, but it's a shame I seem to get the shittiest foils. I've had foil drops that are worth less than 25 cents.

Soulflarz

Banned
If you've never tried it, you should try FF5FJF, which is a charitable initiative started by RevenantKioku (our very own) where you sign up and are randomly assigned particular jobs you must play through the game using. It really shows how flexible the game is that any combination of jobs has a viable win strategy, many even for low-level playthroughs. It's done every summer: http://fourjobfiesta.com/ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=165768047

I want to do this the year after i beat ffv

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Pokemon Stadium Minigames > 100% Orange Juice > Mario Party> Fusion Frenzy > Namco's Party Game which name escapes me
4e3216c124.gif

I'm not sure why, but whenever I play MGSV The phantom pain, I have never seen the shadow play icon and neither can I start shadowplay on it.

Is there a way to force it to work with it? I'm quite new to it.

FloatOn

So apotheon is cool. The weird physics based combat is a bit off putting but weirdly endearing. I would imagine this game is only a few hours long so I'll probably take the time to beat it.

So apotheon is cool. The weird physics based combat is a bit off putting but weirdly endearing. I would imagine this game is only a few hours long so I'll probably take the time to beat it.
I hate it because its save file takes up 1/3 of my cloud saves on ps4. Haven't played it yet but it sucks I know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom