• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

dishonored sure looks good

too bad that remastered seems like a cash grab or we could've gotten higher res textures and stuff out of it

Jazz573

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-09061388BC43BFA0 - Taken by Spirited

So what was it, Spirited?

Lol at Ubisoft with Rainbow Six, no single player. It'll totally still be at the full Canadian price of $80 though, good luck getting people here to pay that.
Yea my friend feels the same, he thought it would be a 20 or 30 dollar game, he's not gonna buy it since its multi only at full price

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
dishonored sure looks good

too bad that remastered seems like a cash grab or we could've gotten higher res textures and stuff out of it

Yeah, but the remaster isn't coming to pc.
So it doesn't really make any difference, it's just a way for ps4/xbox1 players to play this incredible game.

Anteater

Yeah, but the remaster isn't coming to pc.
So it doesn't really make any difference, it's just a way for ps4/xbox1 players to play this incredible game.

it sucks for ps4/xb1 players too, i mean sure the resolution is better but i'm sure both of them could do much better than 1080p at 30fps

if i'm ps4 only and i haven't played the game i'd be the one complaining

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
it sucks for ps4/xb1 players too, i mean sure the resolution is better but i'm sure both of them could do much better than 1080p at 30fps

if i'm ps4 only and i haven't played the game i'd be the one complaining

You're probably right about that.
But I thought most "remasters" to new gen was bad, but seriously it's only 30 fps!?

tmarg

Only if it's sent as a gift. If you send it the normal way, the sender does not pay fees oficially (of course, the buyer and the seller can make a deal where the buyer sends a bit extra to cover the fees)

That's actually against the pp tos. Small sellers like people in bst do it, but you technically aren't allowed to ask a higher price for using PayPal. If an actual store did it, they'd have their account shut down.

MUnited83

For you.
That's actually against the pp tos. Small sellers like people in bst do it, but you technically aren't allowed to ask a higher price for using PayPal. If an actual store did it, they'd have their account shut down.

G2A does ask for a higher price for using paypal and they seem to be going just fine :p. They ain't the only ones either.

madjoki

If don't accept any other payment method and you aren't asking higher price for using PayPal.

And many shops do charge extra for Paypal users without problems. It's seems to be common at least in European hardware shops.

zkylon

zkylewd
game already looks hella cool, just thought a remastered would give them a chance to release the original high res textures they made the game in
what i mean is, there might not be higher res textures that those already in the game. maybe for some stuff like character models, but i dunno about all that environment art and vfx. it was ue3 after all, which was notoriously bad with texture loading stuff so i dunno, maybe they didn't work on super high res, and redoing all the low res textures is prolly not very profitable

as i imagine it would be to playtest everything again and maybe have to tweak stuff to compensate for the higher res stuff

who knows in which state the original game is, right? like with deus ex human resources they could've worked off an older build or lost all the assets or whatever

don't get me wrong, it'd be cool if they did it, or they at the very least had 60 fps, but i can imagine arkane/beth being more like, ok, let's just port this so ppl can play on ps4/xbone and get a nice package with all the dlc and make some quick money off it than wanting to trouble themselves with all that extra work

dunno what the pricing is, probably like 40 or something which doesn't sound like a great deal but i dunno

dang i feel like playing disho 2 now

FloatOn

Washing the taste of my two most recent AAA stinkers (the evil within and lords of shadow 2) out of my mouth with a few indies that are probably decent. These 3 are next on my backlog menu:

Transistor
Apotheon
Ori and the blind forest

Hektor

Probably lttp, but i really like the new uPlay design.

Washing the taste of my two most recent AAA stinkers (the evil within and lords of shadow 2) out of my mouth with a few indies that are probably decent. These 3 are next on my backlog menu:

Transistor
Apotheon
Ori and the blind forest

Transistor is a damn fine choice.

Anteater

what i mean is, there might not be higher res textures that those already in the game. maybe for some stuff like character models, but i dunno about all that environment art and vfx. it was ue3 after all, which was notoriously bad with texture loading stuff so i dunno, maybe they didn't work on super high res, and redoing all the low res textures is prolly not very profitable

as i imagine it would be to playtest everything again and maybe have to tweak stuff to compensate for the higher res stuff

who knows in which state the original game is, right? like with deus ex human resources they could've worked off an older build or lost all the assets or whatever

don't get me wrong, it'd be cool if they did it, or they at the very least had 60 fps, but i can imagine arkane/beth being more like, ok, let's just port this so ppl can play on ps4/xbone and get a nice package with all the dlc and make some quick money off it than wanting to trouble themselves with all that extra work

dunno what the pricing is, probably like 40 or something which doesn't sound like a great deal but i dunno

dang i feel like playing disho 2 now

I think it's 40bucks

yeah, I think it's cool it's still better than the ps3/360 ver but I think if they're going to do it they may as well put some effort into it, like if I don't own a pc how long will I have to wait to play dishonored at 60fps? ps5 :p? People complained about it on gaf so the demand is there.

You could always replay the first game before 2!

Word. I loved bastion so I expect great things.

Transistor is a great game but, don't go in thinking it will be exactly like Bastion.

Some folks disliked Transistor because it wasn't Bastion 2, which it isn't and was not made to be.

Other than the same camera angle, they are 2 different games.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think it's 40bucks

yeah, I think it's cool it's still better than the ps3/360 ver but I think if they're going to do it they may as well put some effort into it, like if I don't own a pc how long will I have to wait to play dishonored at 60fps? ps5 :p? People complained about it on gaf so the demand is there.

You could always replay the first game before 2!

i had a really long reply typed up but randomly hit refresh and now it's gone ;_;

anyways i don't really have another disho1 playthru on me, but i should probably try the dlc since i never got too far in that

Anteater

i had a really long reply typed up but randomly hit refresh and now it's gone ;_;

anyways i don't really have another disho1 playthru on me, but i should probably try the dlc since i never got too far in that

i've got all the dlcs, i got the goty for like 4 bucks during that pricing error and I'm just now playing the core game lol

I'm sure I'll like that game but too bad I'm such a wuss
I find games like Amnesia, Outlast, Fatal Frame, and so on difficult to get through at times and I finished the Evil Within without issues. It's more tense in terms of gameplay scenarios than constantly full of dread.

The first dlc is much scarier though.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've got all the dlcs, i got the goty for like 4 bucks during that pricing error and I'm just now playing the core game lol

it's a cool game

if you murder everyone and goof around with the ai and super powers

i really hated it the first time thru cos i was super careful not to murder everybody and played it like a straight stealth game

doing something in between is just way more fun

What games on Steam have a hostile and oppressive envioroment/atmosphere? I finished Metroid Prime Echoes a few days ago, and while I know a lot of people are turned off by it, I find the Dark world mechanics really great. Echoes' dark world is incredibly hostile to Samus. Just standing kills you, a lot of enemies everywhere. It makes exploring, especially at the beginning, hard and rewarding. The first half is exhausting with all the jumping around so you don't die, but I also find it fun.

I was wondering if there was a game likewise mechanics on Steam.

Anteater

I find games like Amnesia, Outlast, Fatal Frame, and so on difficult to get through at times and I finished the Evil Within without issues. It's more tense in terms of gameplay scenarios than constantly full of dread.

The first dlc is much scarier though.

Evil Within isn't scary.
At all.

It's also bad.

well i find bioshock 1 and 2 scary :(

and everything is bad for you turfsterrr

it's a cool game

if you murder everyone and goof around with the ai and super powers

i really hated it the first time thru cos i was super careful not to murder everybody and played it like a straight stealth game

doing something in between is just way more fun

well I've been messing up and killing everybody in this game, so far so good!

FloatOn

Bioshock is a lot scarier than the broken, ridiculous mess that is Evil Within.

The problem with the evil within was that it didn't break any new ground. And I feel like it just tried too hard to be something better than it was.

If you hadn't thoroughly exhausted resident evil 4 it might be an ok game.

The Evil Within isn't broken, it's just one of the few legitimately challenging big budget games to be released in recent years so some find that off-putting.

There are definitely moments you find scary but you should be able to get through most of the game without issues. The encounters definitely get stressful towards the end in terms of having to deal with a lot of different enemy types with limited resources though.

I've played Resident Evil 4 seven times and the Evil Within is a very different game, both in terms of how it progresses and how the combat is laid out(especially on higher difficulties). RE4 is pretty easy due to the very overpowered melee system. The Evil Within also has a lot more emphasis on environmental interactions, especially in terms of avoiding traps. RE4 just has bear traps/wires here and there.

Nzyme32

Major progress at Spelunky. Not only did I make it to World 3 for the first time today, NO, I breezed through it wholesome on my first try!

#blessed

Died in 4-1 immediately lol

Suck it Prinny!

And now I have the urge to play Spelunky. There goes the rest of my day.

Anyone know how what coin are worth at Groupees? I have a gold and a green coin. NVM figured it out. Gold is worth $1 and green is worth $5.98..

Turfster

The Evil Within isn't broken,

Is this where I repeat the story of the enemy that was alerted in one of its laughable stealth sections that came looking for me and kept bumping into me as I was just standing there, eventually deciding it couldn't find me and wandered off again?

Oh no, I came across one silly ai routine while playing on a lower difficulty at the beginning of a game while it's still teaching me how to play. The whole game is broken trash! Quick, I have to rush to the steam thread to tell everyone how much I hate this game and how broken it is.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

MISSING TRANSLATION - DELUXE EDITION -- MB-7B01D3DCB84087D8 - Taken by ExoSoul

the actual game is free, this just gives you some extra stuff

ArjanN

What games on Steam have a hostile and oppressive envioroment/atmosphere? I finished Metroid Prime Echoes a few days ago, and while I know a lot of people are turned off by it, I find the Dark world mechanics really great. Echoes' dark world is incredibly hostile to Samus. Just standing kills you, a lot of enemies everywhere. It makes exploring, especially at the beginning, hard and rewarding. The first half is exhausting with all the jumping around so you don't die, but I also find it fun.

I was wondering if there was a game likewise mechanics on Steam.

Dark Souls.
Gods Will Be Watching
Amnesia the Dark Descent

FloatOn

Resident evil 4 and evil within share the following:

Chainsaw wielding bad guy
Creepy village
Traps
Camera angle
Head shot emphasis
Not zombies
Cop/special agent protagonists

Yep, totally different game.

Dark Souls.
Gods Will Be Watching
Amnesia the Dark Descent

Heh, I never found Dark Souls opressive. There are too many spots without enemies and you can just stand there due to the lack of pause.

Amnesia I already played. Will check God Will Be Watching out.

It's impression time! I know, I know, I haven't done one in a while. Work happens. Anyway, here we go with Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light Collector's Edition (I wonder if Benicio del Toro buys them while wearing a fright wig...)

The story: You play a blonde woman whose name you don't discover until the last act - Jane, no last name given, naturally - and whose occupation isn't given either. Should we just assume "detective" based on precedent? It's also possible she's an old-money woman of leisure, or maybe just a kept woman, because the story starts with her and her (husband? boyfriend?) "darling" Mike (also no last name given) aboard the Sea Bliss, Mike's personal yacht. Shit gets real almost immediately when a mysterious purple sign appears in the sky, and it opened up their eyes their yacht is tossed in a storm onto a lighthouse island, and Mike is dragged away. Jane soon sees the wreckage of dozens of other boats, and it's her job to figure out just what in the purple hell is going on around here, and you know, save Mike too, I guess.

The story's not great, but it could have been worse. I do like how in the end Jane and Mike get to work together, especially in the bonus chapter, where you play Mike. But you might say to yourself, "Just why would the villain drag away the clearly stronger, heavier guy?" Well, they created an odd contrivance where the villain wanted to be stopped, and "only my opposite - a woman - can do it." You know I complain about the lack of characterization in these games, but holy hell, have they really reduced the core of their identity to "man" and "woman?"

The gameplay: The hidden object scenes in this are actually pretty well-designed, but the lack of Steam achievements does make you lazy. Oh, I don't get anything for solving a puzzle in less than a minute, or misclicking less than four times, or getting three objects within three seconds? Well then I guess I'm doing this at my own pace and/or clicking all over creation! Oh, but speaking of clicking, the object's hitboxes leave MUCH to be desired. I had clicked on objects dead center, got nothing... "Oh, I guess that wasn't a lock." Only the lock left, use the hint button, "Oh...that was a lock after all. Why didn't it figure that out when I clicked it the first time?" It can be pretty damn frustrating, and it takes away from the game in a big way.

And don't get me started on how you had to take a knife to a pumpkin because one of the hidden objects you needed was...I can't believe I'm typing this... a "Hallowee." Seriously?! Where the hell do they call a jack-o'-lantern a "Hallowee?"

The minigame puzzles were fine, but once again I skipped that "move the nodes around so no wires cross" puzzle. I still have yet to figure out a good way to do those. The inventory puzzles contained a bit of bullshit - oh, I need to soak that clay to remove it, do I? How about this mug of water? Oh. No, that's not the right water.

The dialogue and voices: I wonder if all these hidden object voice actresses under-emote because they don't want to turn in cheesy performances, or because they have bad (or absent) voice directors, or just cause the scripts suck, but cmon, ladies, stop being so wooden! The main story didn't have many spelling errors (apart from the egregious "Hallowee") but the bonus chapter did seem to sneak in a few Russian-isms like "This is a child's play."

The verdict: Had they fixed the hitboxes in the hidden object scenes, so you didn't have to click three or four times to get some things right, I'd have said "meh, it's okay, get it if you don't care about cards and achievements." If they added Steam support AND fixed the hitboxes, I'd say "It falls just shy of an Artifex Mundi game. Go for it." As it stands, I'd say don't bother with it.

Resident evil 4 and evil within share the following:

Chainsaw wielding bad guy
Creepy village
Traps
Camera angle
Head shot emphasis
Not zombies
Cop/special agent protagonists

Yep, totally different game.
The Evil Within has much more fantastical creatures, especially in the second half of the game. And the chainsaw enemy is removed as an element in chapter 3, it's an obvious callback but one that is fun to play around within given how much more aggressive he is than the salvadores in RE4. And the vast majority of the Evil Within doesn't take place in anything resembling a village. Did you play past the first hour? One of the Evil Within's positives or even flaws depending on how you look at it is how different each environment is. I can't think of any game that has as many locations as the Evil Within. It's nearly 70 GBs for a reason(and not just because it's idtech :p)

Melee is intentionally made useless which alone makes them very different games given it's the crux of Resident Evil 4's combat system.

Resident Evil 4's combat flow is this: shoot enemy in head, run up and kick them and then knife them until they die. This isn't possible due to melee working completely differently in the the Evil Within and enemies wearing head protection early on. Not to mention that headshots usually don't kill enemies flat out, they will continue on towards you as if nothing happened. The Evil Within is all about using your dart gun to get enemies to attack each other and set up traps in order to deal with enemies that are much faster and more dangerous than anything in the recent Resident Evil games. Kill one enemy, and then use their corpse as a platform to burn others alive and so on. It's a much more complicated, involved combat system which is really fun to experiment with.

And Resident Evil 4's trap system never expands beyond lasers or bear traps other than in QTE systems. The Evil Within has trap mazes which actively move around while you're fighting enemies. It can be a really vicious game at times which is refreshing in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom