• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, I have to ask what ending you went for and what did you think of the philosophical themes throughout?

The Swapper:
I stayed and jumped. Going to keep my Watcher friends company. I was discussing the idea of collective consciousness with my co-workers on Friday so it was surprising to see something akin to that while I was playing. I liked that the game was relatively open with different perspectives about the soul or thought or other ideas from what I can recall. I blamed primary and recency effects since I don't remember too many specifics at the moment (I played The Last Door before and Hexcells after The Swapper). XD

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Also, does anyone have any impressions about We Know the Devil? The premise seems interesting.

I haven't really talked about We Know The Devil in here since it isn't a Steam game, but I loved it. Despite the protagonists mirroring modern teenagers, the whole world built around them is different from ours. There's just a touch of magical realism to separate what one can expect to happen in their world from how things might go in ours. I found the characters to be very endearing in their own ways, but they speak in teen-isms. So, if you had trouble with Life is Strange's Hella-this and Totally-that, you'll probably cringe once or twice in WKTD too.

bXsDZpN.jpg

Heavily influenced by Carpenter's hand-crafted soundscapes and Giallo (Italian erotic horror), the hastily sketched art style paired with the pulsating noise-synth soundtrack nailed the aesthetic perfectly. The story, on the other hand, is quite modern. As you guide our trio through their final night of summer camp, two will grow closer while the other one is pushed away. Your choices dictate who will be the weak link at the end. While there is, in fact, a literal Devil, it also deals with personal devils as well. The nature of these devils are steeped in current social issues, ones that will come as no surprise for fans of writer Aevee Bee's work.

While I would have enjoyed seeing my choices have more of a ripple-effect on the person who was getting pushed out during any given playthrough, I found the 30-40 minute runtime short enough to look past the very small scope the game's choices aim for. Replaying uncovers new facets of personalities, with a character's ending providing a framework which helps put their actions into perspective. The hidden fourth ending is quite the catharsis, but only if you're invested in the three poor souls who occupy the cabin. I'm a huge sap, so...

It wasn't scary in the way one might think, so I wouldn't go into it hoping for a good early Halloween game. But what's there is frightening for people who can relate to ♆, ♀, & ♃.

dex3108

I beat Dishonored without killing or alerting anyone *dances*

Did kill people for fun though and then quick load out of the consequences. Need to play the dlc. Don't remember why I stopped given how much I loved the base game.

I was so happy to finally start DLCs this summer. Then I spent few hours on first mission making sure that I do it without kills and ghost style, and all my efforts were worthless because game has bug with spawning enemies in some rooms if you knock down everybody in the room. And if that happens game registers at least one kill :( I was so pissed when I saw 1 kill on mission stats screen that I stopped playing DLCs.

I rather not download almost 2000 games :/

Don't worry, Valve will do something more with Steam Music one day, eventually... hopefully. At the very least, they've paved the road for standalone soundtrack distribution.

Every game should offer its soundtrack somehow. (Alas the days of it just being files in the directory are long gone.) Blizzard was always really cool with that stuff; at one point they offered the full soundtracks directly from their official site. (They, of course, don't anymore.)

Ryne

How does one switch?

Settings > Devices > Device Manager > Right click Controller, select update driver software > select browse my computer > choose let me pick > select driver and reboot.

Incredibly frustrating, so every time I want to play Fairy Fencer F after playing F1 2015 I have to change drivers and reboot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any list of games with soundtracks that are available in steam?
Having almost 2000 games I have forgotten which of them have soundtracks :(

The best you can do is search SteamDB for soundtrack and OST, with the app filter set to DLC (a few exceptions: GameLoading's soundtrack is a piece of software, the Age of Wonders Trilogy soundtrack is a game, and the Frozen Synapse soundtrack is a tool). Annoyingly, some soundtracks are data depots rather than DLC (Grand Ages: Medieval is the most recent example) and SteamDB doesn't support searching for them, so you're out of luck there.

Anywho, you can selectively download DLC using Steam's console, which you can activate by adding either -console or -dev to the target line (create a shortcut to Steam if you haven't already, right-click it and select "Properties"). Switch to the Console tab and type download_depot gameid dlcid, where gameid is the app id of the base game and dlcid is the app id of the soundtrack you want to download (e.g. to download Super Meat Boy's soundtrack, type download_depot 40800 202941). The download won't show on Steam's Downloads page, but the console will spit out a notification once it's finished:

depotdl7fsgs.jpg

Deques

The best you can do is search SteamDB for soundtrack and OST, with the app filter set to DLC (a few exceptions: GameLoading's soundtrack is a piece of software, the Age of Wonders Trilogy soundtrack is a game, and the Frozen Synapse soundtrack is a tool). Annoyingly, some soundtracks are data depots rather than DLC (Grand Ages: Medieval is the most recent example) and SteamDB doesn't support searching for them, so you're out of luck there.

Anywho, you can selectively download DLC using Steam's console, which you can activate by adding either -console or -dev to the target line (create a shortcut to Steam if you haven't already, right-click it and select "Properties"). Switch to the Console tab and type download_depot gameid dlcid, where gameid is the app id of the base game and dlcid is the app id of the soundtrack you want to download (e.g. to download Super Meat Boy's soundtrack, type download_depot 40800 202941). The download won't show on Steam's Downloads page, but the console will spit out a notification once it's finished:

[IMGhttp://abload.de/img/depotdl7fsgs.jpg[/IMG]

I know this method to download only soundtracks, but does that work for soundtracks that's not DLC? I mean some games just have soundtracks as part of the game, like the original Binding of Isaac

Ozium

It's no longer available separately, but it is included in the BoI Collection bundle.

what is the purpose of this chicanery?

and the bundle doesn't list it either so it's hidden or just doens't show up because it doesn't have its own page?

still don't get why it would not be available for purchase

Ozium

what if there was a game called footbowl

where you bowled but instead of rolling the ball by hand you'd kick it.

this could be in real life or in video form, it doesn't matter.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel i'm getting close to the end of witcha

a billion question marks left but i've cleared most of the sidequests in both skellige and velen

i kind of hope there's a third area that's not as big, but afaik that's not the case

also i've been super enjoying doing like a monsters deck for gwent. the way you multispawn like a billion cards, it's hilarious

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
also i've been super enjoying doing like a monsters deck for gwent. the way you multispawn like a billion cards, it's hilarious

you might even say it's the ultimate troll deck

Parsnip

After I'm done with MGS5 I'm definitely going to need something short and sweet before I dive back into Witcher 3.

I'm not sure why, but whenever I play MGSV The phantom pain, I have never seen the shadow play icon and neither can I start shadowplay on it.

Is there a way to force it to work with it? I'm quite new to it.
You could try setting the desktop capture option in Shadowplay.

After I'm done with MGS5 I'm definitely going to need something short and sweet before I dive back into Witcher 3.

You could try setting the desktop capture option in Shadowplay.

I have never seen that option, and it doesn't appear anywhere either.

Using a gaming laptop.

sprinkles

I needed something short and quick too. After finishing MGSV midweek I dove into Soma which took me around 11 hours to finish. What a ride that was, the game had the perfect SciFi atmosphere (and maybe the best sound effects I have ever experienced in a game).

Voting for GOTY this year will be damn near impossible for me with Ori and the Blind Forest, Pillars of Eternity, Life is Strange, Witcher 3 and MGSV and now Soma all having been released this year.

Coreda

Anywho, you can selectively download DLC using Steam's console, which you can activate by adding either -console or -dev to the target line (create a shortcut to Steam if you haven't already, right-click it and select "Properties").

Bookmarking for future reference.

Coreda

I think my account just got stolen.
Can't log in, and the password recovery goes to an unknown e-mail. Panic?

Can someone explain this to me? There was a thread about a similar incident a few weeks ago where the user had SteamGuard enabled yet still had an account compromised.

I thought that password reset vulnerability was patched months ago, so what else would it be? Would have expected using SteamGuard and a decent password on both email and Steam would be enough.

Faabulous

Can someone explain this to me? There was a thread about a similar incident a few weeks ago where the user had SteamGuard enabled yet still had an account compromised.

I thought that password reset vulnerability was patched months ago, so what else would it be? Would have expected using SteamGuard and a decent password on both email and Steam would be enough.

I don't get it either. My steam guard was on, my password is "Strong" (doesn't contain my usarname or anything) and so is my e-mail password. It still got stolen. I don't even.

Haunted

what if there was a game called footbowl

where you bowled but instead of rolling the ball by hand you'd kick it.

this could be in real life or in video form, it doesn't matter.
Football Bowling is a real thing and often used as a drill/practice game.

I've played it before with a laning setup and everything.

A fucking awesome multiplayer game idea, that's what that is. Loved the GB QL of Ultimate Chicken Horse. As I said in the GB thread, maybe the new Mount Your Friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom