• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOTALLY a different kind of game.
LaMulana is all puzzle oriented, fighting are not much of a trouble if you know what you are doing.
Otherwise, without a guide the game is simply IMPOSSIBLE to be completed, since some puzzles are just impossible to figure out by your own, since they are way too convoluted.
I loved LaMulana so much, is one of my favourite game and I spent around 40 hours on it (and still I need to beat Hell Temple), but if you go blindly, prepare to be stuck unless you look for a guide.
They are not really comparable. La Mulana is a game with Metroid-style exploration and really obscure puzzle solving. It's great, but it requires a lot of patience.

This is all true (well, I'd say the combat can be difficult at times, especially in the boss fights), but I wouldn't recommend playing with a guide full time. For the most part, it's worth it to try to figure out where to go and what to do on your own, and it feels really satisfying to make progress in the game. But you will get stuck. A lot. At a certain point, it's just better to get a hint about where to go next rather than quitting the game, or beating your head against the wall until you hate the game.

Edit: I really hope that when La Mulana 2 eventually comes out, they find a better balance of satisfyingly difficult puzzles without requiring a guide to beat the game. I am really looking forward to it though.
to echo what others said, outside of the setting of indiana jones inspired archeologist exploring dungeons there's not much in common. they're both platformers but while spelunky's a more traditional platformer with really tight and fun platforming mechanics, la mulana is super stiff and slow in comparison. it's got that dark souls thing of having to be very deliberate with ur movements vs the forgiveness of being able to have lots of air control and stuff

they're also very different in that la mulana is more of a puzzle game than a platformer, and a puzzle game based on insanely obscure puzzles that you can't really get without a guide. i played around 40% of the game without a guide but from then on it was alt tab every 2 minutes to know where to go next. and i mean like you kill three enemies in one dungeon and that opens a false wall in some other dungeon with not much of a logical clue as to why or how the rooms are related (there's some explanation but it's really beyond what someone that's not gonna spend hundreds of hours figuring it out can handle). in that sense it's closer to fez than it is to spelunky. just do stuff in a room until you get the "secret discovered" sound and move on. it's a cool game, but to me the second half of the game was pretty boring, just all that looking at guides shit is not for me. i'd 100% recommend playing the first half tho, it's got a similar thing to dark souls again in that it needs to make sense in your brain and then you're on, and that it's also super satisfying when you figure shit out or beat a difficult boss

spelunky on the other hand is a more straightforward platformer with roguelike stuff in it. it's super fun and addictive and insanely skill based and has a really incredible sense of progression as you figure out the details of its mechanics, how all the enemies and traps and items work and you'll find yourself day by day moving a little bit forward. it's awesome, i didn't play it as much as i wish cos it doesn't do cloud saves and i had to start over like three times, but it's a great game too

two awesome games, la mulana is a bit more rough and crazy, but you can't go wrong with either of them
Awesomesauce, thanks peeps.
Spelunky is ridiculously addictive. Already over a dozen hours and I have no clue how that happened.
A more slow, explorative game sounds cool for a change. Will give La Mulana a try. Got to get of Spelunky somehow lol
Steam Idle Master 1.3 has been released. This version should automatically update for those that already have 1.2 installed within the next 24 hours.

Here is a list of changes made in this release:
  • Added support for localization. You can force the interface into a particular language in the program’s settings. You can help with the translation at translate.steamidlemaster.com

• You know what would be awesome? The translation-team getting special ES Badges >_>
    Dem bragging rights :O

Ozium

Football Bowling is a real thing and often used as a drill/practice game.

I've played it before with a laning setup and everything.

I mean that you kick a bowling ball not a soccer ball

also unrelated but.... another week, another booster pack drop

Deques

Steam Idle Master 1.3 has been released. This version should automatically update for those that already have 1.2 installed within the next 24 hours.

Here is a list of changes made in this release:
  • Added a statistic page (Help -> Statistics) that will keep track of the total time spent idling as well as the total number of card drops you’ve received to date with Idle Master.
  • Added support for localization. You can force the interface into a particular language in the program’s settings. You can help with the translation at translate.steamidlemaster.com.
  • Fixed a bug that could potentially show “Signed on as…” without the user actually being authenticated with Steam.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Idle Master to not detect all games from users with more than 4 badge pages.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the user to be completely logged out if Steam’s servers were unavailable while Idle Master updated its information. The application will retry every 10 seconds for a total of 3 minutes before being logged off.
  • Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause games with available card drops that you have crafted a badge for to be counted incorrectly and potentially not idled.
A "portable" version is also available for download from http://www.steamidlemaster.com. If you are currently running the portable version of Idle Master, simply download the new portable version and extract the files over the top of your existing ones to update.

You can also force the update by re-running the setup program from the website.

If you encounter any issues, please use the Idle Master discussion board and I'll do my best to help. Happy Idling!

I don't think there is a proper translation for "idle" and "drop" in any language. How do we translate these words?

Grief.exe

Kerbal just crashed so hard it caused a looping audio failure to blare through my headphones. An audio error so bad it persisted through two restarts and had to actually do a clean driver install.

That was probably the most intense crash I have seen.

tmarg

Kerbal just crashed so hard it caused a looping audio failure to blare through my headphones. An audio error so bad it persisted through two restarts and had to actually do a clean driver install.

That was probably the most intense crash I have seen.

Space travel is dangerous business.

If you're considering Eador: Master of the Broken World stop what you're doing. Age of Wonders 3 is the better choice, and so are Endless Legend/Elemental: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.

Eador has an amazing premise, but it just isn't a good game.
 ▲
 ▲ ▲

. .

halp

FloatOn

Good news: I just ate the most incredible Reuben sandwich

Bad news: I left my controller at my other house. As a result, there will be no video games for me until Tuesday :(

Hektor

If you're considering Eador: Master of the Broken World stop what you're doing. Age of Wonders 3 is the better choice, and so are Endless Legend/Elemental: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.

Eador has an amazing premise, but it just isn't a good game.

It still gave me 29 hours of joy due to its addictive metagame.

Jawmuncher

I want to get Tales of Zestria just because it's on PC. Then the realization comes that I have Tales of Xilia and Tales of Symphonia 1 & 2 just chilling on my PS3 never played.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I guess mods do not want us to find out if Nintendo Studio is making video game for Nintendo NX, and if so what video game gaf would like them to make first

AHA-Lambda

Really tired, just back from EGX. Will post detailed impressions of games in morning if any one is interested but one I know will be of interest right off the bat:

Mirror's Edge 2 has caught a bad case of Ubisoftitis.

I like the idea of a open-world free runner though.

You make it to the top of a skyscraper and collect the feather. Then you jump off and call it a "Leap of Me."

Maniac

Banned
Really tired, just back from EGX. Will post detailed impressions of games in morning if any one is interested but one I know will be of interest right off the bat:

Mirror's Edge 2 has caught a bad case of Ubisoftitis.

Sur-fucking-prise. Hope you had a good 'con if you will. Did you get to try out the Vive?

Also am jelly, I would love to meet Chet. He's a nice dude, and if I was in the UK I'd have gotten my ass to EGX just to meet him.

Ofcourse there was a ton of other great people there, too. :p

Are physics processing units still a thing? Looking into getting something dedicated to handling PhysX that would work in a PCI or PCI Express x1 slot.

Maniac

Banned
You're kidding.

Are you?

It's EA.

That's all I can say.
Ugh... I was looking forward to that one

Why would you?

It's an EA game. They've only produced trite and tired crap for years now, and shutting down our favourite studios in the process.

Them going Origin-only on PC was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't even bother pirating their games anymore, they're not worth the harddrive space.

EA getting the license for making Star Wars games is why I don't at all care about any possible new Star Wars games either, because I know for a fact they'll have a limited audience and they'll be made by a publisher that chases nothing but profit, and doesn't mind watering down a game in that pursuit, or cutting content for that end.

Honestly though, if I was someone like Disney I'd have made a clause about such games having to show up on as many platforms as possible, whether or not they're digital.

... That's my rant for the day complete, I'd say.
Are physics processing units still a thing? Looking into getting something dedicated to handling PhysX that would work in a PCI or PCI Express x1 slot.

It's still viable. It's easier to do than ever before, buuuut there's less games that utilise it these days compared to the past, atleast as far as I know. But it's definitely "still a thing"

Not dedicated physics-only units no. They are done. The new versions of PhysX don't support them and they are too slow for modern games.

However, people do use NVIDIA GPUs as dedicated PhysX units and they can get nice results. But not with a PCI Express x1 slot.

EDIT: You might be able to run a 600 series on a 2.0 x1 express slot. Like ass.

FloatOn

Despite it being EA the first mirrors edge was a highlight of the last generation for me.

I really hope they don't screw up the second one. I can generally overlook filler content so long as the base game is good (far cry 3 for example)

Sober

Speaking of open world, been playing GTA4/EFLC and watching some GTA5 footage but I feel like urban open world environments feel pointless to me. No streetsigns sorta kills the mood because it's hard to feel immersed at all (if you plan on doing that) when you're just waypoint hopping.

Then again no one really wants to drive like a normal person or walk on the street like a normal person in a video game so I guess those are pointless details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom