• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Those lists are specifically designed to piss people off. If people are offended by it, I guess it means they fell for it, but I don't necessarily think they are terrible.

I also don't think it's a particularly good list, you can tell they were trying to fill quotas for different genres, recent games vs classics, etc., which leads to decisions like declaring Arkham Knight to be the best Arkham game.
I feel like even calling the list "100 games you should play" is trouble enough to piss people off.

Let's also not mention people who shout from the rooftops why game X/Y/Z aren't there usually list games that are hard to come by or have rose-tinted goggles for (i.e. 'the classics'). And the list is obviously going to be biased based on whoever's compiling it.

I feel I get the need for some historical depth but let's not pretend most old games (even the 'classics') didn't age very well. Or that people who are new to gaming (yes, those people exist, but no one on GAF understands that) aren't gonna go digging through retro game stores to find something they have to pay 100 dollars for (on top of an old console).

I feel like people take gaming too seriously these days. Or glorify the old games too much. I personally didn't like ALTTP that much and I thought Super Metroid was way too obtuse at times. I will also happily admit OOT was great but not amazing (and OOT was my first Zelda).

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
odiX3Pi.jpg

Hylics

Tizoc

So I just recently started to realize the effectiveness of FOV, BUT i'D Like to ask: Generally what would the maximum value be? 100? I read on PCGamingWiki about some games capable of going beyond 100 but at the risk of glitches happening.

So say there is a game where editing an INI file would mean I can change the FOV, if I want to see the most of the area in a game I should set it to 100 right?

you had to be there for OOT. Design-wise, yeah, its menus and limited controls haven't aged as well as the rest of the package. But at a time where companies were struggling to figure out how to develop in 3d let alone make good games in 3D Nintendo released not only a competent Zelda 3D game but an incredible top to bottom experience.

They did a good job porting it over to salsa's favorite platform, the 3DS, too. They fixed a few design issues, gave it a graphical face lift, and then bumped the framerate from 20 to 30.

But yeah if you were there when it came out it was kinda extraordinary. There's a reason people refer to future Zelda's as too close to OOT or not enough like OOT: the game set the bar incredibly high for the 3D zeldas that had to follow it

Arthea

I only have seen one good top 100 list in my life, mine.

As for being too serious about it, if someone thinks he(she) knows the best games that are there and doesn't include most of the best games, of course things get serious. If they name that list "top 100 games that we've played and liked", nobody would give a damn about it.

Top lists are pretty bottom of the barrel material to begin with. Especially one like this that isn't even broken down by genre. How do you even compare Tetris to GTA to Hearthstone.

simply, Tetris is superior to any game of any genre
here you go, no need to thank me

also damn you Ubi, damn you to hell

ArjanN

Top lists are pretty bottom of the barrel material to begin with. Especially one like this that isn't even broken down by genre. How do you even compare Tetris to GTA to Hearthstone.

If they name that list "top 100 games that we've played and liked", nobody would give a damn about it.

Pretty much, which is already a good indicator that even writing the thing was pretty futile to begin with outside of getting some clicks.

Jawmuncher

you had to be there for OOT. Design-wise, yeah, its menus and limited controls haven't aged as well as the rest of the package. But at a time where companies were struggling to figure out how to develop in 3d let alone make good games in 3D Nintendo released not only a competent Zelda 3D game but an incredible top to bottom experience.

They did a good job porting it over to salsa's favorite platform, the 3DS, too. They fixed a few design issues, gave it a graphical face lift, and then bumped the framerate from 20 to 30.

But yeah if you were there when it came out it was kinda extraordinary. There's a reason people refer to future Zelda's as too close to OOT or not enough like OOT: the game set the bar incredibly high for the 3D zeldas that had to follow it

This is something I am actually decent with. A lot of time I can kind of feel for the games time period. My first time playing OOT was on the 3DS and I could see why it was such a big deal thinking back to that era. It was basically "skyrim" in a sense for what it was back in the day. A big enough world to explore with numerous stuff to do and find.

Sober

It looked like an ok list but I don't understand why World of Warcraft isn't on there. Not my favourite game by far, but it's too big to ignore for a list like that
Probably no one there played WoW to consider it.

We also run into the problem if we made a "top 100 important games" list. How do you qualify important? Wouldn't we have more than 100 games? And how would we rank importance? Wouldn't Pong or something rank first because it's the thing that started it? Or would it be Dark Souls again?

Arthea

We also run into the problem if we made a "top 100 important games" list. How do you qualify important? Wouldn't we have more than 100 games? And how would we rank importance? Wouldn't Pong or something rank first because it's the thing that started it? Or would it be Dark Souls again?

like making influence on all gaming or genre, in that sense not WoW should be on that list but Ultima Online.
Pong too, yes

dave is ok

aztek is ok
like making influence on all gaming or genre, in that sense not WoW should be on that list but Ultima Online.
The difference between Ultima Online and WoW (or Everquest) is like the difference between the Pixies and Nirvana.

Sure, they did the exact same thing earlier - but it didn't break through the pop culture barrier in the same way.

Sober

Pong too, yes
See, then this gets extremely reductive to the point of pedantry. Lists are pointless whereas I would rather read a feature talking about the importance of a game or set of games to a genre or the industry as a whole. That would be more convincing to me than if game X/Y/Z were #6 instead of #14 on a list.

But then again, this is probably the wrong time for that, that doesn't generate clicks at all.

Nete

I've been trying to buy Blood Bowl 2 on Nuuvem, is the dream finally dead? Didn't have any luck with Hola, FlyVpn nor Tunnelbear, either with Brazil or other neighbor countries where used to work.

tmarg

Edge is a fairly important gaming publication, if they don't employ anyone that played the game that shaped the better part of a decade of gaming culture, they are doing it wrong.

And I say that having never played WoW myself.

Sober

There's actual writing accompanying the list so I would assume if you read it you could actually agree/disagree with EDGE's list. But numbers are so much easier than words, I guess.

Ozium

Enjoy your rehashed missions~

Admittedly, the subsistence ones are quite refreshing and offer a great challenge though. Really, if there wouldn't have been cut content, I don't think we'd have seen this EXTREME, TOTAL STEALTH and SUBSISTENCE nonsense.

remember when you could unlock difficulty modes for the entire game?

I do.. shame Kojima doesn't

I like the missions in mgs5 where you start off with nothing and have to use what you finish , i wish this there was a difficulty mode where you play the whole game like this, havent even finished the game once but id consider playing it again if i could play it like that

I was there, it was my 3rd or 5th n64 game

Let me just be clear, its a really good game, i just dont think its this masterpiece people claim it is

Ozium

Glad my disciples are carrying on the great work.

twist: I asked before you ever asked for dino hunter cards

I have no country, no language, I have NO FACE, but I haven't lost my skull.
my family died, my country died, but they didn't take me with them..

such a lust for trading cards

pahamrick

Hoping someone might be able to help shed some light on this. I can't start up Final Fantasy VII or VIII on Steam.

Both do the same thing, basically this:

Tried deleting and re-downloading, deleting the settings folders in My Documents, running as administrator, ect.

Nothing I do lets me get past the launcher, as the launcher doesn't show anything for me to do. I've tried googling the problem to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom