• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I don't see October as an empty month, we are getting Nep Nep 3, Lightning will return and Trails SC will be finally released
yep, mojo again

Sch1sm

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Nah, the first 10 hours were awesome. The game should have ended then and there.

This is an unpopular opinion. Tends to be the fan favourite when speaking to the series. Personally, the first is mine, but huh. I wouldn't feel sorry for someone playing AC2. There is enjoyment in it.

"first 10 hours" is relative as all hell, though. Where do you think it should have ended? Spoiler for his sake.

Jawmuncher

I thought you don't care about achievements, how would you know?

Who said I didn't care? I like getting mine. But you make it sound like if you were to go to the global achievement pages that everything would be all messed up which is not the case. The people who unlock stuff probably make up like 1% of the player base.

It is about the integrity of achievements and what they mean to the ethos of the gaming community. That we have overcome challenges and that we have achieved mastery. Or semi-mastery... Sometimes luck. It is about transforming your experience into something virtually tangible so that you can look yourself in the mirror without feeling shame.

It serves as a memento of your experience of mastery and a commemoration of your will to power. Viewing them recalls vivid memories of climbing towers or destroying outposts. Much like a parent's love of their child, achievements are something that will be cherished forever. These things cannot be taken, they must be earned.

nMAY9Uk6bEj8k.gif

fucking Ozium is gonna get me killed one day.

MUnited83

For you.
so , anyone unlock achievements is okey and no body care
but me do it and everyone lost his mind
People piled up on you because of the silly excuse.
I couldn't give a flying about how others view achievements. Mine are really just for me. But isn't it a little dangerous doing it on games that are VAC enabled like TF2?
It isn't dangerous at all. Thats not how VAC works. You need to be actually connected to a VAC-enabled server in-game.

Played AC1-Brohood and had no connection to anyone. Games just aren't for me. Sad thing is that I still have AC3 just sitting on steam, unplayed.

I have every single main Assassin's Creed game and haven't really played any of them. I was stuck on the first one and I kept trying to get through it but couldn't. I only recently caved, watched the ending on youtube (which was terrible) and jumped to 2. Glad I did. I don't realistically see myself playing straight through Unity but the Ezio trilogy seems manageable.

To be fair, I have played a couple of hours of the other games. I played a bit of 4 on the WiiU, more than a bit of Unity. I just couldn't let myself go and play them without trying to complete the other games first.

Just play on. Skip Revelations, Jump to 4 then stop.

Can't do it that way. Wish i could. I tried to jump to 4 but I just couldn't jump in the middle like that.

This thread is full of folks calling out publishers, devs, and websites for being shady

it's only fair that we can call out our own members, too.

it's all about accountability

Arthea

Who said I didn't care? I like getting mine. But you make it sound like if you were to go to the global achievement pages that everything would be all messed up which is not the case. The people who unlock stuff probably make up like 1% of the player base.

ya, you certainly don't care about achiements, because if you did, you knew that many rare achievements have percentages lower than 1%, basically almost all rare, in games that aren't popular enough for many people to cheat, that is.
Another problem I have with this, it hides bugged achievements, and that's not only mean, that's downright disgusting.

All of you are filthy cheaters and you all know it.

you take that back!

MUnited83

For you.
ya, you certainly don't care about achiements, because if you did, you knew that many rare achievements have percentages lower than 1%, basically almost all rare, in games that aren't popular enough for many people to cheat, that is.

Aren't you proving his exact point?

ArjanN

Nah, it's definitely less than 1% even, except maybe for games that have/had something tied to the achievements.

Yeah, it doesn't really impact others all that much but ultimately it's still a pretty lame thing to do and people are only really fooling themselves..

Jawmuncher

Another problem I have with this, it hides bugged achievements, and that's not only mean, that's downright disgusting.

you take that back!

I have no clue what you are on about. But I'll just agree to disagree on whatever it is.

Nah, it's definitely less than 1% even, except maybe for games that have/had something tied to the achievements.

Yeah, it doesn't really impact others all that much but ultimately it's still a pretty lame thing to do and people are only really fooling themselves..

Yeah that's the main thing I was getting at. Cheating is cheating but let's be realistic on what it's affecting achievement wise.

Ozium

so... if nobody cares about achievements, why they can't be called on cheating? Makes no sense.
Because you see, cheating is cheating, it doesn't matter what reasons are behind this. Unlocking achievements because you got them on other platforms is still cheating.

I wouldn't have problems with people cheating, because hey it's only a game and it's not my business how someone plays them, but! cheated achievements screws statistics for the rest of us, that care about such things, that's why I don't approve and never will, for any reasons.

Achievements and Virtue 41
by xXx_Laozi420_xXx

When a wise man hears of Achievements
he immediately begins to unlock them.
When an average man hears of Achievements,
he unlocks some of them and ignores the rest.
When a foolish man hears of Achievements,
he laughs out loud at the very idea.
If it were not for that laugh,
it would not be an Achievement.

Yeah but people call others out like they committed murder. There's no constructive criticism most of the time. It's usually nothing more than a pitchfork mob.

as someone who doesn't care about achievements, i just find it funny when you see someone's profile just burst with like 40 of them in a span of a minute. It's this weird disconnect of someone caring enough about achievements to want them but not caring so much about them that they wouldn't go about getting them the cheap way.

regardless, if it isn't harming anyone then who cares, right? this isn't the days of playfire where people were exploiting a company to get games for cheap. cheating on the achievement system is a pretty harmless affair nowadays.

It's just fun to waggle the finger and playfully chastise someone for the act, like when it happened to LORD and he thought GabeN was going to personally ban him from the steams for example.

Arthea

Aren't you proving his exact point?

nope
There was this reversi game that had all achivements bugged, and all had 1% unlocked, meaning people even cheat in such an obscure game, so basically in every game, probably, so if rare achievement has something like 0.6% rate, it's probably much closer to 0.06%. Cheating percentages are much higher for popular games, I couldn't even guess how many people cheated for TF2 achievements, I used to see them all unlocked almost on weekly basis in activity feed, than again I pay attention to such things.

as someone who doesn't care about achievements, i just find it funny when you see someone's profile just burst with like 40 of them in a span of a minute. It's this weird disconnect of someone caring enough about achievements to want them but not caring so much about them that they wouldn't go about getting them the cheap way.

regardless, if it isn't harming anyone then who cares, right? this isn't the days of playfire where people were exploiting a company to get games for cheap. cheating on the achievement system is a pretty harmless affair nowadays.

It's just fun to waggle the finger and playfully chastise someone for the act, like when it happened to LORD and he thought GabeN was going to personally ban him from the steams for example.
That's actually not true, but whatever, I know talk won't change anything.

Tizoc

OK so I put an hour or so on Samurai Warriors 4-2 and...
It runs good, I had to alter a setting in NVidia Control Panel to have it run at max settings with 60 FPS, I set a few options to low namely FOV and Enemy density.
Non the less I had a blast although the pink afro chick was a bit of a let down to play, I'd much rather play as Musou Magoichi

I can see myself putting up to 100 hours in this sucker just to max out a few characters.

Graphics wise...sad to say that I don't see the 'PS3 quality port' thing being an issue, main character models are good, but since you're gonna be killing 2000 generic soldiers every mission I don't think they're model quality is all THAT important, but it's just me.

If anything KOEI Tecmo should be called out on OP Musou 3, and any lack of support in regards to patching and fixing bugs etc.

nope
There was this reversi game that had all achivements bugged, and all had 1% unlocked, meaning people even cheat in such an obscure game, so basically in every game, probably, so if rare achievement has something like 0.6% rate, it's probably much closer to 0.06%. Cheating percentages are much higher for popular games, I couldn't even guess how many people cheated for TF2 achievements, I used to see them all unlocked almost on weekly basis in activity feed, than again I pay attention to such things.

You can't really extrapolate that from other games though. Chances are a reverse game sold much less copies than other games. Say it sold 1000 copies then 1% of people is only 10. So 10 people cheated to get those achievements. You can't take that one piece of data as a cover all.

Saty

Prison Architect, the game that saved Introversion, did so in spectacular style: to date it has earned more than $19m from over 1.25m sales.

That $19m (and something) figure is accurate as of around 1.30pm (BST) Saturday, 26th September, which is when Introversion founding director Mark Morris shows me it on his phone in some sort of data-tracking app. The 1.25m sales milestone is mentioned a few times during our interview.
Interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-earns-usd19m-from-1-25m-sales-but-whats-next

Arthea

You can't really extrapolate that from other games though. Chances are a reverse game sold much less copies than other games. Say it sold 1000 copies then 1% of people is only 10. So 10 people cheated to get those achievements. You can't take that one piece of data as a cover all.

I didn't, that was just an example. But you can extrapolate human behaviour if you know enough about them, at least I can.

MUnited83

For you.
nope

That's actually not true, but whatever, I know talk won't change anything.
No, it doesn't hurt anyone , and no, it isn't 1% or more .
And you might see a lot of TF2 achievements because, you know: the game is still one of the most popular games on Steam, it has hundreds upon hundreds of achievements, and many of then easy to get.

dex3108

I am still thinking to cheat for Faerie Solitaire achievements. I am missing only 2 that are almost impossible to get without playing game 100+ hours because egg drop algorithm or whatever is bad and developer can't fix it.

I didn't, that was just an example. But you can extrapolate human behaviour if you know enough about them, at least I can.

You can't do that at all. You need hard data, you are just making giant assumptions. I totally understand where you're coming from and but you are one step away from just making up data to support your position.

Deques

One day when I am making a game I am going add a button where it unlocks all of the game's achievement :/
The game is going to have over 500 achievements >.<
One of the achievements is going to be unobtainable through legit ways and is named "Cheater"

derExperte

I like checking out folks' cheevos/trophies as a kind of reality check. Like I was just on the trophy page of some 24/7 Sony shill and he apparently actually hates playing games on his beloved PlayStation Entertainment Systems, hasn't finished one in years, has not even one single Platinum and overall only a fraction of the trophies I have. That's fucking hilarious in my book and makes you wonder. Other than that I agree once again with Ozi the Wise, they are like a log of what I've played over the years and I actually enjoy checking out what others have or haven't done in the games I played. Cheating ruins that, doing it to get some items is at least an understandable reason but regularly? Just weird.

MUnited83

For you.
You can't do that at all. You need hard data, you are just making giant assumptions. I totally understand where you're coming from and but you are one step away from just making up data to support your position.
That's Arthea really. I think I've seen him being wrong about every kind of statistic or estimative for a while.

Also, as it stands, Reversi achievements dont seem to be bugged and are actually achievable só that argument goes down the drain too

Arthea

No, it doesn't hurt anyone , and no, it isn't 1% or more .
And you might see a lot of TF2 achievements because, you know: the game is still one of the most popular games on Steam, it has hundreds upon hundreds of achievements, and many of then easy to get.

no, you don't know anything about it and your words are just that words, like mine, deal?
All in one second? Don't make me laugh, at least most people don't care enough to hide that they cheat.

It does hurt, you should try to prove to dev that achievements are buggy when obviously people get them.

Hmm well guess it's time to switch sides then.

Achievements are good because they let me know who plays their games and who just idles.
Also Arthea is a great member of the community. Please respect his wishes.

Dr Dogg

If someone was that bored to check out my achievement/trophy time stamps they'd see I have massive commitment issues. For example it took me 6 years to finish Halo 3 with batches of them gained in 3 blocks per each year I thought I'd play it. FF XIII was almost as bad as I started it in 2010, dropped it the moment I got to chapter 11 and only bothered to finish it off in late 2014. Plus there are countless games I've started, got a chievo or two and then put on the back burner never to return to again.

It does hurt, you should try to prove to dev that achievements are buggy when obviously people get them.

I learned a long time ago that achievements were meaningless in regards to my enjoyment of a game. As long as I'm having fun and find there's enough replay value, I'll put in 40-50 hours easy, even if I don't find everything.

rtcn63

I think it's time for me to uninstall MGSV
Second playthrough, and I can't get the butterfly emblem. I got codename butterfly three times straight, but nothing. I just an got an orca emblem, but it doesn't show up in my customization. Possibly bugged?

So yeah if I keep playing I'll lose Quiet again.

Second playthrough, and I can't get the butterfly emblem. I got codename butterfly three times straight, but nothing. I just an got an orca emblem, but it doesn't show up in my customization. Possibly bugged?

Are you on PC? If so, you can mod the character back in afterwards.

Jawmuncher

You can mod it back quite easily. Doesn't affect anything even after completing that mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom