• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

RPGMaker Etrian Odyssey clone?

ss_23bfead17a10aba54cdc3e61b6685bf09fcbf9e9.600x338.jpg
ss_472ebd658b5c0b802a774fbb0ce4bdbcb098a438.600x338.jpg

JaseC alert: Seems to use some ATLUS IPs (FOE icon in the store movie, Icons on minimap seems to be from Etrian Odyssey as well). Might want to spend $5 now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Insurgency -- MB-E105CA51310B28B9
Contagion -- MB-5DBE8B61D68A138B - Taken by Belgarion

Mivey

No remake ever completely replaces the original for me so I'd like the straight ports of all the old games in addition to any remakes anyway.
Having played AM2R and (tried playing) Metroid 2, I feel it replaces the original. Really, Nintendo didn't figure out how to make Metroid games before Super Metroid, so the first two games really needed remakes. Mission Zero sold well after all, but they just sort of left 2D Metroids behind, way back in 2004 too.

gelf

Having played AM2R and (tried playing) Metroid 2, I feel it replaces the original. Really, Nintendo didn't figure out how to make Metroid games before Super Metroid, so the first two games really needed remakes. Mission Zero sold well after all, but they just sort of left 2D Metroids behind, way back in 2004 too.

It doesn't matter to me if the remake is supposedly superior to the original in every way I'd still want access to the originals anyway. Especially if the remake makes any major gameplay changes. I've not followed AM2R though so I can't comment on that specifically.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Eh, it's a means to an end for me. I only look at it for as long as it takes me to find what I want to play and launch it. That's why I never bothered with any kind of skins or w/e.

Didn't the Mars company do something like that with your cable bill? Or am I misremembering?

$6, actually. But a man can dream.

Been having a slump and not in the mood for gaming lately. Maybe it's the rainy, cold weather but I just wanted to play something small today, so I started Frederic: Resurrection of Music which I had installed for some time now.
Disregard the playtime, the majority is from card idling. I started and finished it in a single setting and less than an hour of actual playtime.
You have seven piano keys on which notes fall and it's all about timing your actions. In terms of controls you can map each piano key to a keyboard key, use your mouse or even use the touchscreen in case you have such a tabled/notebook. Mouse ended up being the most comfortable for me.

It's a small and charming rhythm game with a wacky story and good artsyle and great, catchy tunes (classical covers). It's the first rhythm game I played, so I appreciate it being newcomer friendly.
Doesn't mean there's no depth to it. You can always rack the difficulty up and try to get your highscore higher and higher which ought to give it some more hours.
Played on Normal difficulty and it was a breeze. Successfully completed every song on first try apart the second to last one. Took me more than five tries.

It works all fine and well apart certain songs where the notes and music don't fit very much and that leads very quickly to you getting out of sync with the game.
Otherwise there are a couple bugs and lack of polish, mostly only in cutscenes, so that doesn't really take anything away from the otherwise fun and short romp.
Oh, the soundtrack is also included in MP3 which is a great bonus since you'll likely end up enjoying many if not all tracks. Recommended.

Here a little Webm showing one song of the ten to get a feel for the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC alert: Seems to use some ATLUS IPs (FOE icon in the store movie, Icons on minimap seems to be from Etrian Odyssey as well). Might want to spend $5 now.

I'm on my phone, but thank you for the early Christmas Present. <3

Been having a slump and not in the mood for gaming lately. Maybe it's the rainy, cold weather but I just wanted to play something small today, so I started Frederic: Resurrection of Music which I had installed for some time now.
Disregard the playtime, the majority is from card idling. I started and finished it in a single setting and less than an hour of actual playtime.
You have seven piano keys on which notes fall and it's all about timing your actions. In terms of controls you can map each piano key to a keyboard key, use your mouse or even use the touchscreen in case you have such a tabled/notebook. Mouse ended up being the most comfortable for me.

It's a small and charming rhythm game with a wacky story and good artsyle and great, catchy tunes (classical covers). It's the first rhythm game I played, so I appreciate it being newcomer friendly.
Doesn't mean there's no depth to it. You can always rack the difficulty up and try to get your highscore higher and higher which ought to give it some more hours.
Played on Normal difficulty and it was a breeze. Successfully completed every song on first try apart the second to last one. Took me more than five tries.

It works all fine and well apart certain songs where the notes and music don't fit very much and that leads very quickly to you getting out of sync with the game.
Otherwise there are a couple bugs and lack of polish, mostly only in cutscenes, so that doesn't really take anything away from the otherwise fun and short romp.
Oh, the soundtrack is also included in MP3 which is a great bonus since you'll likely end up enjoying many if not all tracks. Recommended.

Here a little Webm showing one song of the ten to get a feel for the game.

Thank you for the write-up, that definitely looks like something I want to play. That webm is hilarious. And you can apparently get both Frederic games for a couple of bucks at Bundle Stars:
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/forever-entertainment-pick-mix

This game takes the demand of players into account in terms of the individualized cultivation of the role, which has been reflected in the multiple choices of cultivation results. Besides, it provides the “CG album” in the settings, which will catch and save the moment of each special event, and the upmost number could be collected is 80!

Adnor

Banned
Isn't that a bit of a retcon? I mean Source as a power is never mentioned in the later games, right? Seems a bit weird, for something so universally powerful.

The universe has never been too consistent so I don't really care about retcons, I mean, originally everyone would see ghosts, then only Dragon Hunters, then everyone or only Source Hunters I don't remember. But I like all the references.

I hope we can punch Damian in this game tho.

AHA-Lambda

Urgh, Steins Gate is a pretty bad port, numerous instances now where the screen will suddenly go unresponsive and require a restart >_<

They got some crappy versions of Dragon's Lair on Steam.

This is bullshit.

I got a retail PC version. Looked in the file directory for some reason...saw almost entirely video clips (MPGs, I guess?) Realized the entire game was just you switching from clip to clip at set times. Killed the magic...but I can respect the fact that they thought of this in the mid-80s.

So the fact that there's very little actual programming going on makes me wonder just how bad you can make a port?

It does not support controllers, the upscaling is poor, the video compression is WMV, and they are not using the cleaned up BluRay versions.

They actually released a better PC version of the game years before this 2013 release got on Steam.

EDIT - It is possible they are using a compressed version of the Blu-Ray version which begs the question as to why.

EDIT EDIT - The older PC version also allowed you to select a 4:3 aspect ratio.

bloke

Hope all the keys are working...
ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch -- MB-D926EB890D8CA224 - Taken by Kifimbo
t1cxE6r.gif
Moebius: Empire Rising -- MB-803DB8E53662D79A - Taken by Purkake4
Riddled Corpses -- MB-8701AA3EC99A69F5 - Taken by MaxiLive
Lethal League -- MB-13123EB4E691E79F - Taken by jon bones
Coma: Mortuary -- MB-369777CF2D0C1A08 - Taken by ExoSoul
TowerFall Ascension -- MB-FFC11DB6E41C1B74 - Taken by Kiru
1001 Spikes -- MB-A2F883F4919B138C - Taken by Zacagawea
Dead Effect 2 -- MB-33EEA3AAECD54E5C - Taken by madjoki
Expand -- MB-E87E7CD341E39181 - Taken by rainking187

Wok

I am still eyeing on Bad Ass Babes, and I don't know whether the game will ire some people at Valve and get removed. Can a game get removed from Steam for featuring phallic statues and stuff (check screenshot page)? It is kind of similar to Age of Barbarian, but maybe a bit more explicit. So, how prude is Valve? Any risk of seeing the game removed before I buy it? Regarding quality, I think the game is episodic and it is a 1-hour-long episode, so just a fun experience, maybe not $10 worthy.

Edit: Nevermind, I have just found a far more explicit screenshot for Age of Barbarian, to the point that I am now convinced that Bad Ass Babes is completely safe.

Another concern is that I am not sure the dev has the consent of the actresses, but based on his website, he is a photographer, so I guess the actresses are some of his nude models.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Fantasy Kingdom Simulator -- MB-2DD2EB42E9E26926 - Taken by ussjtrunks
The Dark Legions -- MB-844F4E9BF7398B71 - Taken by Eila

kagamin

Ubisoft is whatever, I enjoy some of their games quite a bit like R6S... and that's about it, everything else I've played is simply fine, just not the best it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom