• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember that too, but I wonder what has happened

Life, in general. Sadly I haven't had as much time to devote to ES lately due to real things©. Getting a new job, moving to a new city, etc etc.

I also have about 1000 cards to sell and am wishing for a way to do it quickly and easily, so it's definitely something I'm still interested in making.

Deques

Life, in general. Sadly I haven't had as much time to devote to ES lately due to real things©. Getting a new job, moving to a new city, etc etc.

I also have about 1000 cards to sell and am wishing for a way to do it quickly and easily, so it's definitely something I'm still interested in making.

While you are here, hopefully still here. There is something maybe you should know. I found out that ES can't Velocity Ultra find stats from Howlongtobeat.com since on Steam it's named as Velocity®Ultra, when ES is searching in it removes the registered trademark sign and put all the words together, making ES can't get any result from Howlongtobeat.com. It's listed as Velocity Ultra. Would it be possible to add a search box in the result page? I believe there are more games that are named differently between Steam and Howlongtobeat.com

Spoiler question for Sorcery 2 and one of the late game mechanics
If you go back in time to get one of the other lines you missed and either miss or change the exact course of your actions does it overwrite what you did originally? Ie, do I need to beat the same people in that dice game, talk to the same people, redo the same desired paths, etc?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
While you are here, hopefully still here. There is something maybe you should know. I found out that ES can't Velocity Ultra find stats from Howlongtobeat.com since on Steam it's named as Velocity®Ultra, when ES is searching in it removes the registered trademark sign and put all the words together, making ES can't get any result from Howlongtobeat.com. It's listed as Velocity Ultra. Would it be possible to add a search box in the result page? I believe there are more games that are named differently between Steam and Howlongtobeat.com

Yeah, this is also something I've been planning on doing. Initially I found that more games were the opposite (having trademark symbols and such on Steam, but not on HLTB) so it seemed appropriate that the first iteration of that page would simply strip them. The reason I didn't add a search box (at first at least) is that I didn't want jackasses coming in and linking Dark Souls to Barbie's Dream House or other such "joke" nonsense.

I think enough time has passed though and a few thousand games on Steam are already linked that it's probably safe to add one.

Deques

we are back at 5th spot on MGS, good work, steamgaf!
http://www.metagamerscore.com/most_score_crew

Were we pushed down again after I got us to 5th spot?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215717148&postcount=628

Yeah, this is also something I've been planning on doing. Initially I found that more games were the opposite (having trademark symbols and such on Steam, but not on HLTB) so it seemed appropriate that the first iteration of that page would simply strip them. The reason I didn't add a search box (at first at least) is that I didn't want jackasses coming in and linking Dark Souls to Barbie's Dream House or other such "joke" nonsense.

I think enough time has passed though and a few thousand games on Steam are already linked that it's probably safe to add one.

Trolls should just disappear into some kind of void

Accoun

This pops up in my facebook page.

Yikes.
Not as bad, but still.
500x1000px-LL-ae51808f_IMG_2037.jpeg

Quantum Break is probably the most I've ever been disappointed in a game and I love Remedy. Just not enough combat in the game and it feels like you never get to enjoy that aspect to the extent that you'd want to given the great destruction physics. The encounters are shockingly rare and very straight forward. And not even in a Max Payne 3 tons of cutscenes way, there just isn't much combat at all and it's really weird because it's not like the "exploration" is interesting. Also tons of the most by the numbers, brain dead platforming I've seen in a shooter in a long time. So many of the most flashy moments literally involving you jumping across a small gap and having a flashy, quick cutscene play. Then you jump once more and repeat. Just feels shockingly outdated. No unlockables of any kind either. The story, especially the live tv episodes, are so generic and poorly put together that they can't make up for that with the only mildly amusing bit being some emails.

Had honestly almost completely forgotten about it which says a lot. Most natural lighting I've seen in a game tho and it generally always looks incredible, especially in combat. Just a shame about literally everything else.

Edit: Also you become completely overpowered within an hour or two and it just doesn't lead to much diversity in how to handle encounters, especially given how similar they all are.

Ludens

Banned
I totally missed the Gwent beta...or what it was. I saw there's another round tomorrow but I think I won't be able to play, only 4 hours to test the game too :S

bjaelke

I totally missed the Gwent beta...or what it was. I saw there's another round tomorrow but I think I won't be able to play, only 4 hours to test the game too :S

It's just a stress test to check out the infrastructure. The actual beta starts in October.

Knurek

Just FYI, latest release of Kaldaien's injector fixes issues in a lot of games - now pretty much everything that uses D3D9 and above will have PSN trophy sound on achievement unlock.

Also, I asked and that weird game I mentioned earlier today was not I am Setsuna. :\
It was Akiba Strip.

Phawx

Just FYI, latest release of Kaldaien's injector fixes issues in a lot of games - now pretty much everything that uses D3D9 and above will have PSN trophy sound on achievement unlock.

Also, I asked and that weird game I mentioned earlier today was not I am Setsuna. :\
It was Akiba Strip.

Is Special K supposed to be a simpler GeDeSaTo?

yuraya

Steam needs its own card game so much. I can't believe Gabe just let Blizzard take the entire market with Hearthstone like that. Valve has so many characters across Half-Life, TF, Portal and Dota. They could have made their own epic card game that is actually competitive and not some RNG grindfest like Hearthstone.

They should have done it by now but sadly Valve doesn't make games anymore :(

jshackles

Steam needs its own card game so much. I can't believe Gabe just let Blizzard take the entire market with Hearthstone like that. Valve has so many characters across Half-Life, TF, Portal and Dota. They could have made their own epic card game that is actually competitive and not some RNG grindfest like Hearthstone.

They should have done it by now but sadly Valve doesn't make games anymore :(

I'm honestly surprised they never got around to making a Hearthstone-like card game that used Steam Trading Cards. They have everything they need to make it successful, and the amount of perceived value in trading cards would probably go up quite a bit, especially for foils (as they would probably be more powerful versions of the non-foil cards in-game).

They wouldn't have to charge for playing the game, and it would generate more revenue simply from the increased card value/marketability on the marketplace where they get a cut.

They could even so far as to charge people for booster packs to earn themselves and developers potentially more profit.

Parsnip

Is Special K supposed to be a simpler GeDeSaTo?
Grabbed from Steam thread.
As a standalone product, Special K currently offers:

Hardware Monitoring OSD for AMD and NVIDIA GPUs
Steam Achievement Unlock Sound
Cursor Management
Framerate Limiter

D3D9 and 11 Swapchain Overrides
*Improve Frame pacing and Input Latency the same way I do.
*Explicit control over things like Refresh Rate, Triple-Buffering and Pre-Rendered Frames

D3D11 Adapter Override
*For systems that have trouble bypassing Intel GPUs in D3D11 games
D3D11 Texture Caching
*Improve performance in most D3D11 games that use texture streaming
D3D11 Texture Dumping and Injection

Additionally, some debug-related functionality is also provided:

CTDs caused by abnormal SteamAPI events can be blocked
*The Steam client is responsible for a LOT of mysterious crashes; its policy is to silently terminate a running game when something abnormal occurs.
*Avoid losing in-game progress when Steam decides to kill your game.

Special K has a standardized crash handler (logs/crash.log)
*Makes quick work of figuring out what third-party utility is blowing your game up (all DLLs involved in a crash are printed clearly).

yuraya

I'm honestly surprised they never got around to making a Hearthstone-like card game that used Steam Trading Cards. They have everything they need to make it successful, and the amount of perceived value in trading cards would probably go up quite a bit, especially for foils (as they would probably be more powerful versions of the non-foil cards in-game).

They wouldn't have to charge for playing the game, and it would generate more revenue simply from the increased card value/marketability on the marketplace where they get a cut.

They could even so far as to charge people for booster packs to earn themselves and developers potentially more profit.

That would have been great. And very innovative too but its probably too late to do it now. There is so many games with cards today it would turn into a hot mess lol. They should have done something like that when the card system first went into effect. Also they probably don't care either way since they made a ton of money with the cards already. I would really love for them to do something someday because Hearthstone needs competition. I can't think of anyone better than Valve to go toe to toe with them.

Hektor

The idea sounds lovely but wouldn't that put a lot of work onto valve tho? If it's supposed to be a somewhat competitive card game it would have to be balanced properly, meaning they couldn't just allow all devs to make cards by themselfs like they're doing now.

jshackles

That would have been great. And very innovative too but its probably too late to do it now. There is so many games with cards today it would turn into a hot mess lol. They should have done something like that when the card system first went into effect. Also they probably don't care either way since they made a ton of money with the cards already. I would really love for them to do something someday because Hearthstone needs competition. I can't think of anyone better than Valve to go toe to toe with them.

Yes, this definitely should have been something they did earlier on to make it much easier on themselves. And you're right - they probably weighed the cost of maintaining a game like this with the potential revenue stream and thought it wasn't worthwhile.

The idea sounds lovely but wouldn't that put a lot of work onto valve tho? If it's supposed to be a somewhat competitive card game it would have to be balanced properly, meaning they couldn't just allow all devs to make cards by themselfs like they're doing now.

Not necessarily. They could make cards similar to Hearthstone and let the developers simply pick which cards from their game had what properties. They could also have rarity rules like "here is a list of the properties of the rare cards, which can only be assigned to foil cards". That way, they could create a pool of around 300 or so cards of various rarities and simply let developers choose which properties (what that card does in the game) be assigned permanently. The downside, of course, is that you could end up with two distinctly different cards that do exactly the same thing in the game, but that wouldn't be that big of a deal honestly and it could be mitigated further by increasing the number of card properties available initially.

And speaking of increasing the card pool - rather than releasing "expansions" they could simply release a set of another 100 or so cards that have been play-tested and balanced so that they became available for new games or to entice games that don't already have trading cards to join in. Even if they added 100 cards every six months, they would eventually have enough variety involved to keep both players and developers happy.

It would also be kind of neat (from a user perspective) to have your Steam Trading Cards "battle" each other, or whatever. I think it would entice a lot of users (myself included) to move from a "harvest -> sell" mindset to a "harvest -> collect" or "buy -> collect" mentality. I think it could work, but then again this is all just a thought experiment since we know Valve wouldn't actually put the effort into something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom