• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I've been wondering about checking out a couple of the biggest games of the past four or six years that are on Steam. I completely skipped the PS3/X360 generation, so I've missed out on a lot. I've picked up the major things that interested me - Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Rising, Dark Souls - and I'd like to check out something from one of the big franchises that I've missed.

I'm leaning towards The Witcher 3, because the story looks neat. My only fear is that these open world games seem pretty overwhelming and like they're just full of un-fun side quests and lots of filler. Is that the case? Are all of these games a slog?

If you were going to recommend just *one* of the big open world games on Steam, which would it be?

The definitive way of playing The Witcher 3: turn off the damn point of interest. It should've been the default option, tbh.

Other than that, I'd recommend Dragon's Dogma. Generation 7's masterpiece.

Tizoc

Id like to see all those people who wete displeased with yakuza 0's pc rumors actually buy the game day 1
Cuz i highly doubt those people care about he game

But yeah yakuza is coming to steam one way or another

r3n4ud

I don't know. I found Yakuza..dull? My memory is foggy, but I do remember not having a good time with it on my ol' Dreamcast.

If it comes to Steam I'll give it a go though.

Tizoc

I don't know. I found Yakuza..dull? My memory is foggy, but I do remember not having a good time with it on my ol' Dreamcast.

Yakuza never released on the dreamcast silly pants
Ypu are thinkng of a different game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Your memory is foggy since it never came out on the Dreamcast.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm one of those crazy people who have bought every Yakuza game, twice when it got English releases. I love that series, so I would do so again to have any of them on PC.

It's really never going to happen, but Kenzan (first Samurai period spin-off) above all is the one I would happily buy again for PC. I love those turtle races.

That game credits thread is blowing my mind.

I don't know which strikes me more, a developer who just doesn't care what people who play his game thinks, or that some people feel people who work on games don't deserve credit at all and the whole thing shouldn't be done in the first place.

data

Project Zomboid news!

The Indie Stone has just released status/build history list for PZ that gives a cool outline on how it's changed since it first hit Early Access. It's really reminded me just how awesome PZ is--they have probably the best approach to long-term Early Access development that I've seen, with weekly updates (Mondoids--on a Monday!) and now stuff like this, as the game shambles ever closer to perfection.

Project Zomboid, even now, is the premire zombie survival game. Once it gets some NPC interactions/factions in and pushes Dead State away, it will have outclassed everything on the market. The tense action, creeping horror, and ever-present sense of dread are all hitting the mark currently.

They even fixed this ham:
penisham.jpg
Is this post sarcasm? All the reviews on the game are complaining about how they promised updates that still haven't come

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Didn't we have PR eating crow fairly recently for a PC port?

Nier: Automata was the most recent example I can think of, which pulled a complete heel-turn after the PC reveal. PR's language was focused purely on the PS4 version, until a later interview stated that PC was planned from the start of the project.

However, not all cases are going to be like this. As much 'fun' as it can be to call out publishers for covering up PC versions with side-stepping and indirect language, PC might not get them all.

I dont want atlusprime to eat crow tho :3

After Hardin got raked over the coals during the initial fiasco regarding Persona 5's non-existent PC port, I don't think he would risk engaging unless he was absolutely sure of this. He could still be wrong, and he has been in the past, but it would be very weird for him to put himself in the crossfire of any console/PC war for no good reason at all.

Tizoc

I'm one of those crazy people who have bought every Yakuza game, twice when it got English releases. I love that series, so I would do so again to have any of them on PC.

It's really never going to happen, but Kenzan (first Samurai period spin-off) above all is the one I would happily buy again for PC. I love those turtle races.

I don't know which strikes me more, a developer who just doesn't care what people who play his game thinks, or that some people feel people who work on games don't deserve credit at all and the whole thing shouldn't be done in the first place.
Yakuza will come to pc
But ima exclude you from the giveaway cuz of this post :v

Parsnip

Didn't we have PR eating crow fairly recently for a PC port?

I don't recall a PC port, but Quantum Break Steam release is pretty recent PR thing.

While Hardin is probably speaking the truth right now about Yakuza to the best of his knowledge, plans change and stuff.

Grief.exe

After Hardin got raked over the coals during the initial fiasco regarding Persona 5's non-existent PC port, I don't think he would risk engaging unless he was absolutely sure of this. He could still be wrong, and he has been in the past, but it would be very weird for him to put himself in the crossfire of any console/PC war for no good reason at all.

• It's not fiscally responsible to ignore PC for the series.
  • Sega is huge on PC, the majority of their business currently is on the platform.
  • There is ubiquitous past precedent for games announced or displayed as console exclusive, and terrible past precedent for PR eating crow.
  • PR are generally last to hear about business decisions.
  • PR are motivated to cover up ports until they are guaranteed to happen, especially if they are planning on a late port.

If the argument is, this is how things are and this is how they will always be. I concede that the game has been a Playstation brand, but there is no reason to keep an IP trapped on a console platform that has stagnated in Japan moving forward and a franchise that struggles in the west.

rtcn63

Sometimes, DS4windows' exclusive mode stops working on Win7. I had to reinstall it and the SCP driver to get things going work again. Just installing the newest version of DS4windows didn't work.

Purkake4

Banned
Project Zomboid news!

The Indie Stone has just released status/build history list for PZ that gives a cool outline on how it's changed since it first hit Early Access. It's really reminded me just how awesome PZ is--they have probably the best approach to long-term Early Access development that I've seen, with weekly updates (Mondoids--on a Monday!) and now stuff like this, as the game shambles ever closer to perfection.

Project Zomboid, even now, is the premire zombie survival game. Once it gets some NPC interactions/factions in and pushes Dead State away, it will have outclassed everything on the market. The tense action, creeping horror, and ever-present sense of dread are all hitting the mark currently.

They even fixed this ham:
penisham.jpg
It's been really interesting to see this game develop, as slowly as it has. Kind of like watching Boss Constructor, but on slow mo.

Maybe? I didn't get the "FREE GAME WITH PURCHASE" notification at checkout even though it was on the store page.

I'll bug them about it if it doesn't appear.

I think the codes that Amazon were giving out got deactivated at some point Saturday...so maybe they aren't giving out codes anymore or they'll send them later

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It's amusing to play old games sometimes. TimeShift asked me to install GameSpy software, has a graphical option if I want to load trees, and E is used to zoom in for a weapon.

Nabs

It's amusing to play old games sometimes. TimeShift asked me to install GameSpy software, has a graphical option if I want to load trees, and E is used to zoom in for a weapon.

It also has to load shaders whenever you play the game.

Popstar

That's pretty close to the last game development software bundle. I was hoping there would be more time before the next one.
Looks like it's being released to coincide with a promotion. Weirder Stuff A Clickteam Original Gamejam.
neat! I hope it's all the exporters and the developer upgrade

That's amazing! Goodbye GameMaker!
Not sure how complete it will be. But it does look like they're trying to get as many people on version 2.5 so they can sell them an upgrade to the upcoming version 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom