• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So I got stuck in rubble in TimeShift and fell through the world to a null zone. I fixed it by using the rewind time power

It just gave me the end credits.

Do I count that as a beaten game?

Nabs

So I got stuck in rubble in TimeShift and fell through the world to a null zone. I fixed it by using the rewind time power

It just gave me the end credits.

Do I count that as a beaten game?

I need to do this. I will absolutely put that on my completed list.

tumblr_odotd2jTcg1s5zf6fo1_540.jpg

shockdude

You are fucking awesome shockdude/shockdudette, I want to let that to be known. You knew exactly what program I wanted to use it with and everything!

As a follow up, could anyone recommend their favorite PS DualShock gamepad that plays well with Windows 10?
Np, have fun with Dolphin!

Both the DS3 and DS4 work well with Windows 10.
The DS4 is the preferred option for general PC gaming since it has better ergonomics and more powerful drivers (full button remapping, touchpad as mouse, etc).
There are two options for drivers: DS4Windows and InputMapper. Both are good.

The DS3 has higher driver reliability (no Exclusive Mode silliness), better battery life, and pressure-sensitive buttons for PCSX2 (e.g. Metal Gear Solid games).
There are many DS3 drivers, but the recommended one these days is ScpToolkit.

I personally use a DS3 since that's all I have, and it's served me well for years.

Annubis

Left to right: original (corrected aspect ratio, some quality loss), 3DO version, Refine version.

Original, Refine.

Have to agree. Refine blurs a bit too much of the original detail. The painterly hair in the original also seemed to suit it.

Backgrounds are much better though.

--

We getting Princess Maker 5 on Steam when? I'd double dip.

Here we go, classic coming to Steam, wonder what'll the price be?
That store page isn't giving me great hope for the translation.
Is this post sarcasm? All the reviews on the game are complaining about how they promised updates that still haven't come
Project Zomboid is a fine game with a very long-term Early Access period. Even in its early state, there's plenty of fun to be had, and I certainly have gotten my money's worth already.

Further, I don't feel like they ran away with the money or abandoned development--if that's what you're suggesting. The aforementioned Mondoids actually give me the opposite feeling.

Knurek

It's going to be so disappointing if that Clickteam Fusion Bundle leak turns out to be true.
Disappointing even for Humble as of late.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll give you an easy first step. Stop region locking video content, pretty much none of it is available outside of the US. This shit has no place in 2016.

There's a legitimate reason for that:

Distribution rights for films tend to be split among various companies worldwide as a means of reducing the financial risk, and in many cases a distinction is made between theatrical and home media releases -- Company A has the rights to distribute the film theatrically while Company B is slated to handle DVD/BD/VoD releases in the same region. Grave of the Fireflies, for instance, is being published on Steam by Sentai Filmworks and it only has home media distribution rights for the US.

The bigger the production company, the less true this becomes, though, with Disney being a prime example.

The only thing that can fill in the blanks in regional availability is other distributors coming on board.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
  • It's not fiscally responsible to ignore PC for the series.
  • Sega is huge on PC, the majority of their business currently is on the platform.
  • There is ubiquitous past precedent for games announced or displayed as console exclusive, and terrible past precedent for PR eating crow.
  • PR are generally last to hear about business decisions.
  • PR are motivated to cover up ports until they are guaranteed to happen, especially if they are planning on a late port.

If the argument is, this is how things are and this is how they will always be. I concede that the game has been a Playstation brand, but there is no reason to keep an IP trapped on a console platform that has stagnated in Japan moving forward and a franchise that struggles in the west.

We're trying to apply logic to a company that has historically been at war with itself since it opened up overseas divisions. Sega has a history of self-sabotaging, miscommunication between teams on a project, or making choices that no sane company would. An example of how much they trip over themselves would be PSO2's botched localization. The game is now 4 years old, with a localization announcement happening back in 2012. They went through the trouble of setting up a website, making a trailer, and bringing their A-game to PAX, only to have the EN version vanish without a trace. Sega has publicly stated that the PS4 port will not be made available in the west, while the PC version is still handled with a nervous shuffle and hushed whispers. Or the dropped Skies of Arcadia HD port that first leaked to the public in 2008 or so? Nary a sign of it. And that's not the only game that we know they were making progress on as far back as the 360/PS3 era that went nowhere.

As much as I love some of their IPs, and would love to have them available on my platform of choice, I can't bring myself to get too excited about the prospect until it's downloading in my Steam client. Their support of the platform has gotten increasingly more favorable since Valkyria Chronicles exploded beyond their own expectations, but we're not quite at the point where something that is considered as niche as Yakuza would be something they'd take that big of a bet on - if they could convince the JP branch to let them take that risk at all. Why else would Sega insist on keeping their hands completely off of Atlus, allowing the Persona 5 team to keep the game console exclusive? As much money as a port could make, there's mountains to move, and they don't want to budge.

It could all be smoke and mirrors though, as others here have stated in the thread. Maybe PR just isn't in the know, maybe Hardin spoke out of place, maybe whoever Gematsu emailed just sent a boilerplate response. Sony's ambiguous language during the reveal and the boxart precedent are strong indicators that something could be going on in the background. There's a lot of 'what if' here, and I'm just playing it safe for myself because I've lived with Sega's spectacular highs and lows for most of my life, and I'm getting the feeling this one's gonna be on the low side... if that makes sense.

Deques

So, this got released today... aren't there better movies to release instead of this?

Duncan and Jack are graduating high school and have one night left in America. Tucker's party is their last chance to score with the girls of their dreams. Our heroes hatch a plot to sneak in, but must escape crooks and freaks to fulfill their fantasies before their flights back home.

That performance though, and I have a gtx 960 2GB, i5-4690k and 16GB RAM, not sure I can run it well.

Yeah it's not great now, but that being said, I'm sure you can lock it at 30 and almost max it out. I have it locked to 30 now just for the consistency, which is actually really smooth and looks fantastic, doing that until a patch can fix the stuttering.

Monooboe

Has anyone else managed to activate Gamemaker Studio from the humblebundle on Steam? I've tried with the steam key but it says I have to have another product first?o_O

Wok

Has anyone else managed to activate Gamemaker Studio from the humblebundle on Steam? I've tried with the steam key but it says I have to have another product first?o_O

Are you talking about this trick? I did not know this was possible, I am going to try it.

https://www.steamgifts.com/discussi...r-steam-key-for-gamemaker-studio-professional

Edit: Yay!

The only downside is that I discover that the Windows DLC, which Humble advertises in the bundle, is not the Windows Phone DLC on Steam. First, the demo in the monthly bundle, and now this! Time to riot!

Arthea

I sometimes feel the need to unleash Gothic fans on you people.
Then again, they wouldn't survive long on gaf I suppose

EdmondD

Gothic 2 has one of the finest crafted worlds in all of gaming. I don't think I have ever played a game which rewarded exploration like that game did and it will forever be one of my favorite games. The attention to detail is amazing. Unfortunately I think for people who are used to more moderns game that there is too much "euro jank" for them to get into it. I even like Gothic 3 and all of the Risen games.

gelf

We're trying to apply logic to a company that has historically been at war with itself since it opened up overseas divisions. Sega has a history of self-sabotaging, miscommunication between teams on a project, or making choices that no sane company would. An example of how much they trip over themselves would be PSO2's botched localization. The game is now 4 years old, with a localization announcement happening back in 2012. They went through the trouble of setting up a website, making a trailer, and bringing their A-game to PAX, only to have the EN version vanish without a trace. Sega has publicly stated that the PS4 port will not be made available in the west, while the PC version is still handled with a nervous shuffle and hushed whispers. Or the dropped Skies of Arcadia HD port that first leaked to the public in 2008 or so? Nary a sign of it. And that's not the only game that we know they were making progress on as far back as the 360/PS3 era that went nowhere.

As much as I love some of their IPs, and would love to have them available on my platform of choice, I can't bring myself to get too excited about the prospect until it's downloading in my Steam client. Their support of the platform has gotten increasingly more favorable since Valkyria Chronicles exploded beyond their own expectations, but we're not quite at the point where something that is considered as niche as Yakuza would be something they'd take that big of a bet on - if they could convince the JP branch to let them take that risk at all. Why else would Sega insist on keeping their hands completely off of Atlus, allowing the Persona 5 team to keep the game console exclusive? As much money as a port could make, there's mountains to move, and they don't want to budge.

It could all be smoke and mirrors though, as others here have stated in the thread. Maybe PR just isn't in the know, maybe Hardin spoke out of place, maybe whoever Gematsu emailed just sent a boilerplate response. Sony's ambiguous language during the reveal and the boxart precedent are strong indicators that something could be going on in the background. There's a lot of 'what if' here, and I'm just playing it safe for myself because I've lived with Sega's spectacular highs and lows for most of my life, and I'm getting the feeling this one's gonna be on the low side... if that makes sense.
Yeah as a long time Sega fan I agree with you unfortunately. Sega and logic often don't go together especially when Sega west having to communicate with Sega Japan is part of the conversation. Yakuza would be great on PC but I can't be optimistic it's coming based on the wording of a box art. If it was a western made game then yes it would be 100% locked on for PC. Yakuza I will only believe when I see it.

I could see that label meaning they are "exploring" the option of a PC port as they often say about other games. The problem is that exploration always takes them forever, they never strike while the iron is hot. They could easily wait and wait look at it again in 2020 and decide it's not worth it because thier two porting staff are busy working on another Sonic game.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't understand the blind optimism from some here. At best we can say is it's up in air.

Kiru

Gothic 2 has one of the finest crafted worlds in all of gaming. I don't think I have ever played a game which rewarded exploration like that game did and it will forever be one of my favorite games. The attention to detail is amazing. Unfortunately I think for people who are used to more moderns game that there is too much "euro jank" for them to get into it. I even like Gothic 3 and all of the Risen games.
Damn right.

derFeef

I consider Gothic and vanilla STALKER to be the finest open world "sandbox" games ever creted.

venomenon

They would kill each other as soon as one of them admits to liking Gothic 3 or Risen.

That said, Gothic 2 and 3 are awesome and all Risen parts are at least good. Gothic 1 is too janky and nearly unplayable nowadays, but G2+3 are fine IMO.
Gothic 2 will forever have a special place in my heart and I think I just decided I need to replay it asap.

I think I've tried to play them all but always gave up. Not that they are bad but I always had a better alternative.

It was on my mmo addict days when the Gothic series released.

It was only like a few years ago when I noticed the series, and I felt like I was too late.

---------------------------------------------------- >8

Anyway, Masquerada: Songs and Shadows release date finally revealed (30 Sept). Trailer here.

Also, Earthlock is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom